Election 2016

Mongrel

Re: Election 2016

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:58 pm

I mean, that's the story of western civilization, period right now.

Racism is back, baby. It's new and stylish and popular and cool again.

And it just shoved you into a locker.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:37 pm

Oh. Hey... um.

Is the internet gonna be okay?

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Mongrel wrote:Oh. Hey... um.

Is the internet gonna be okay?

We'll do what we can.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:53 pm

At least we'll get a new punk rock scene out of this trash fire.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:12 pm

So, one of the stories coming out of the post-election number-crunching is that it's not so much that Trump won over rust belt democrats (though he did, to some degree).

It's that rust belt Democrats stayed home and didn't vote.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Some very tiny bits of hope:

And bad news which carries potential hope:

And a little bit of bleak levity:

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:32 pm

So, one of the stories coming out of the post-election number-crunching is that it's not so much that Trump won over rust belt democrats (though he did, to some degree).

It's that rust belt Democrats stayed home and didn't vote.

Hillary got 7m less votes than 2012 Obama, so, yeah.

I mean, I've seen a lot of YOU CAN'T BLAME TURNOUT MEMES along with every other possible meme because that's how it goes.

Hillary currently 200k up in popular vote. Shrug. Small comfort, but maybe that number will make the rest of the world realize that more Americans didn't want this.
ImageImageImage

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:45 pm

That "I Voted" sticker on my phone is gonna go from a point of pride to a fucking shield in the near future.

(Not really because California went 60-39. I feel like I need to move East just to stop being this fist-shaking useless seaperson.)

patito

Postby patito » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:50 pm

come to sunny florida where all the republicans that don't even live here are registered to vote.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:36 pm

but weed bro

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:14 pm

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Donald Trump is president of the United States of America.

I posted weeks ago (probably multiple times) how this was all so surreal because in my head he's like... Leona Helmsley or someone, someone who was a joke 80's celebrity for Mad magazine to make fun of back when Mad magazine was still good.

It's as if you told me Skeletor or Cobra Commander had been elected president.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:23 pm

Racism, Sexism, and the coming home to roost of 60 years of constant, zealous messaging about liberal policy in general and about 30 years of messaging about Hillary Clinton in particular.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:43 pm

How must it feel to be say, Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee even and wake up today and have to know: you weren't racist or misogynistic enough to be president; or be Chris Christie and be like

"If I just didn't care about being caught in lies, I could have been President of the United States of America."

Mongrel wrote:

If that graph is real, then that's hilarious. I dunno if it makes me think the population is smarter or dumber though.

btw, just in case it wasn't obvious, the left axis of that graph is intentionally an exaggeration, since the graph doesn't start at zero, it makes it LOOK like a 50% drop or something instead of the 14% drop it actually is.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:53 pm

First post about THE DONALD in this thread. By Mongrel, of course.

I'm not calling you out or anything, Mongrel, but I have to admit, when I read your immediate follow up post to the one I linked just now, I actually barked a laugh. Not at you, just, you know.

Also:

It's funny how the half-joking line I see over and over again is "I think we all know Hillary's going to be our next president, and that she's going to be awful."

This is what everyone thinks will happen. Now I'm not going to say that they're completely wrong - there are good reasons that that has become the running gag. But the despair about it is real. The desire for something else is real. Whether that actually materializes into Something Unexpected - be it Bernie Saunders or god-know-who-or-what-else - well shit, who knows?
ImageImageImage

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:35 pm

my fidelity account is up $800

those motherfuckers are stone cold

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Des and I have been basically checking our character sheets today. Turns out we're already vagabond loner survivalists with flexible resources and points in everything from combat medicine to seamanship.

We can also afford a functional live-aboard cruiser or diesel trawler.

Until yesterday that was in the "doable, but silly" category.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Friday wrote:First post about THE DONALD in this thread. By Mongrel, of course.

I'm not calling you out or anything, Mongrel, but I have to admit, when I read your immediate follow up post to the one I linked just now, I actually barked a laugh. Not at you, just, you know.

Also:

It's funny how the half-joking line I see over and over again is "I think we all know Hillary's going to be our next president, and that she's going to be awful."

This is what everyone thinks will happen. Now I'm not going to say that they're completely wrong - there are good reasons that that has become the running gag. But the despair about it is real. The desire for something else is real. Whether that actually materializes into Something Unexpected - be it Bernie Saunders or god-know-who-or-what-else - well shit, who knows?

That last quote is mine too... I think? So I don't feel all bad there. I know I thought he was just as much a joke as everyone else in the beginning.

I remember that I started taking Trump seriously back around January or February, when he won those first primaries or maybe even a little before. This was before Brexit, so I remember specifically invoking the spectre of Rob Ford.

But this still doesn't feel real. Like Nate Silver I was like "Well... maybe. It could happen. But I'm sure Hillary will win.", which was perhaps closer to the truth than most, but I was still wrong like everybody else.

Also: https://my.mixtape.moe/reigjh.webm

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Yeah, I mean, literally nobody took him seriously. I had multiple discussions with friends about how Trump could not win the primary, then, we he did, I conceded that I had been wrong but that he could never win the general.

Though I always have maintained that polls cannot and will not ever be 100% predictive. Doesn't mean I'm going to hop on the "POLLS ARE USELESS!!!!" train that 60-80%* of the country is about to board.

* with a 5% margin of error
ImageImageImage

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Call me crazy, but when I heard how Clinton had an 80% chance of winning, I thought back to Front Mission of all things. Specifically, about how awful my shots seemed to be with an 80% chance of hitting. Like, how could you miss that? You have a rifle, their legs are broken, and their back is turned. How could you fuck that up?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:11 pm

The fact that nearly the entirety of Trump's supporters were treated as non-entities by the media, statistically and figuratively, is pretty close to the heart of why we are where we are today.

Up to a certain point, I don't blame them for this. They did what they had to do.