GooberGoats

Bal

Re: GooberGoats

Postby Bal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Maybe a hit piece they deserved 15 fucking years ago. Both guys have been out of the asshole humor industry for fucking ever, writing Portal 2 and various other Valve media for longer than OMM was a thing. I don't fully understand the relevance of going after them now, particularly given that most of these pepe memeing shitlords are too young to know who the fuck they are.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:04 am

But time's a continuum, not a series of discrete events, and the shit that's been happening over the past couple of years is just shit that's been going on for a couple of decades now hitting critical mass. It may not be the exact same motherfuckers, but it's the exact same attitude and behavior. (And some of the exact same motherfuckers.)

It's not fair to lay it all at OMM's feet, no, but OMM was one of the early, large communities of game fans who thought acting like assholes was funny, and that when people got offended it was even funnier. It's not so much a cause as a feedback loop of something that was going on in a lot of places at the same time.

(And by "a lot of places" I very much include our community in general and myself in particular. The nice thing is that those of us who've stuck around seem to have outgrown that shit -- and that hopefully includes me too.

Not that very many of us were ever anywhere near the kind of "Pepe memeing shitlords" you're talking about; I can only think of two, and they were appropriately ostracized and banned. But a lot of us were casual, low-grade jerks, and encouraged each other to be casual, low-grade jerks.)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 am

That's why I mentioned it's a series. In a series, it's fair to have one major group be the focus of a given piece.

If the next article just talks about OMM, then sure, maybe they've just got an axe to grind. But you could certainly do an article on /vg/ or the relevant Reddit subgroups, or some proto-stage that precluded OMM, while linking these instances together as part of a broader series.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 pm

The nice thing is that those of us who've stuck around seem to have outgrown that shit -- and that hopefully includes me too.

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Wal-Mart!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ImageImageImage

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Man, I have no problem with pointing out what a shitshow that whole clique was back in the day, but I'd never point to it as the head of the human centipede of shitty fuckin ideas. It's less a centipede and more an ageless macho rat king, all bound together in a big ol knot of dicks and excrement. I'd say that there's not a lot to be gained from trying to untangle that rat junk vermicelli, but unlike most rat kings, this poor, miscreated bastard-ball is still alive. Hell, most of the rats involved in the particular knot we're talking about managed to slip free once they grew into stuff like common human fucking decency, but the shitty rat dick katamari just keeps on rolling. I think it probably started some time around the agricultural revolution. At this point I'm less interested in researching its family tree than killing the fucker with a shovel. Especially if Mr. Baby is still in it, because that guy is a cunt.

Did I get enough homophobic and/or misogynist metaphors in there? Trying to go full 90s here.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:27 pm

I feel like it's missing a few references to mental handicaps.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Shut up, retard.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Shut up and drop speed? I don't get it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Maybe he's French and he's saying he's gonna be late.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 am

I've had a couple of pleasant conversations with Ethan van Sciver over the years -- one on a messageboard and one in person. I knew he and I didn't see eye-to-eye politically, but he always seemed civil and open-minded.

So when I heard he was a ComicsGator, I wondered: was he always like this and I just didn't notice? Or has he changed?

Gail Simone says he's changed.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 pm

ComicsGoat leader is suing Mark Waid for defamation.

Waid is one of the good guys. He's set up a legal defense fund at GoFundMe.

The suit has been filed in Texas, which has an anti-SLAPP statute. Here's my not-a-lawyer opinion of the plaintiff's allegations of defamation:

Meyer also says that Waid falsely accused him of sharing a list of comic store owners (i.e. doxing them), and defamed Meyer by characterizing him as “racist, serial harasser of minorities, and as affiliated with white supremacists.”

Starting with that last, quoted part? That's protected opinion. No defamation there.

As for the allegation that Waid falsely accused the plaintiff of doxxing comic shop owners? Well, assuming (1) Waid did say that and (2) it is false, that is potentially defamatory -- but plaintiff probably qualifies as a public figure for the purposes of this lawsuit, which means that the "actual malice" standard applies. In layman's terms, this means that Waid would have had to either know that claim was false, or show reckless disregard to whether it was true or false. If Waid had a good reason to believe the allegation was true, then there was no defamation.

As for the allegation of tortious interference? That's a subject I know less about.

But as far as the defamation claims? I expect plaintiff has bitten off more than he can chew, and those claims, at least, will likely get smacked down under Texas's anti-SLAPP statute, and he'll wind up having to pay Waid's attorney's fees. (That's the same anti-SLAPP statute that just put Stormy Daniels on the hook for Trump's attorney's fees over a similar frivolous defamation claim.)

Mark Waid is being defended by -- and this is true -- "superlawyer" Mark Zaid. (Waid joked, "I went to him after Mark Xaid was busy and Mark Yaid was tied up.")

Rico

Postby Rico » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:55 pm

The Mark Waid of Zur-En-Arrh.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Bring back Karma

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:00 am

Russ Pitts of the newly revived, less groom-a-goat led 'apolitical' Escapist site, just tried to open a retrospective/discussion of the whole sorry topic:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190207051 ... out-ethics

Zoe Quinn was all "Can we just not, at least please leave me way out of this" and Russ responded in full asshole mode:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/com ... out_ethics

And now the page has been replaced with an open apology letter and guess who's claiming victory/SJW suppression in the comments:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/201 ... out-ethics

So that was a train wreck. I'd foolishly assumed Susan Arendt's husband wouldn't have been a centrist disaster, and that the site was back in good hands. Guess not?

I just want a couple of news sources that'll call out terrible game design and industry bullshit while leaving the culture war out in the real world apocalypse. 'The Escapist' was a good name for a reason.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:40 pm

hey I know

lets have a 'retrospective' on

what could go wrong

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Yeah the entire thing was a trash fire, starting from opening the entire framing as it actually having been about ethics in games journalism. I mean, seriously. SERIOUSLY.

And then the first thing they actually did was ambush interview a woman about ongoing sexual harassment litigation at her employer.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 am

Creator backlash and variant cover controversy engulf Dynamite

While rumblings of C*micsgate affiliations have been brewing for about a year now, the proverbial poo hit the fan when the company announced a special cover by known CGers Cecil and Donal Delay that would feature “Cecil’s Next Big Thing” alongside Dynamite flagship characters Vampirella and Red Sonja. The backlash to the Twitter announcement was almost immediate, with Kwanza Osajyefo calling them out and demanding that support for the company cease considering the association with a known hate group.

[...]

“In speaking with Cecil,” [Dynamite Publisher Nick] Barrucci’s statement reads, “neither one of us realized the cover would be so polarizing. We discussed and are not moving forward with the cover or the campaign.”

Barrucci’s statement seemed to miss the point. While the cover itself is a problem, the bigger issue is the consistent associations with known CGers. Some angry creators agreed it was a small step but not enough, while others said it was not even close to what was needed to save the company.

You know, I'm going to go ahead and bookmark that Roger Langridge comic about how every comics publisher is terrible.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:13 pm

Right-wing superhero movie ends 'in disaster' after $1 million in funders' cash goes missing: report

The film's troubles started when [Vox] Day, whose given name is Theodore Beale, decided to use a Utah-based firm called Ohana Capital Financial to hold the $1 million he'd raised in donations for the movie in escrow.

Beale went with Ohana because it was a rare financial institution who would do business with him given his long history of unabashed racism and sexism.

The trouble, as Sommer writes, is that Ohana appears to have been a sham institution set up by a con artist.