GooberGoats

Friday

Re: GooberGoats

Postby Friday » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:22 am

yeah nintendo

i went to peaceful rest valley ONE TIME and now i have this mushroom growing out of my skull and my controls have been scrambled since 1998 and you just go and have this entire race of people who are appropriating my cultural heritage
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:16 am

...can I ask for some context without anybody changing their avatars, editing their last six months worth of posts, and leaving forever?

I mean, I get that it's a GamerGate joke and Zoe Quinn is (justifiably) unhappy about it. That is the extent of what I've been able to infer from the tweet and I am fairly confident that typing shit into a search engine to get more background is going to make my day much worse than just asking.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:27 am

Actually it's about ethics in shuffle journalism.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:36 am

Thad wrote:I mean, I get that it's a GamerGate joke and Zoe Quinn is (justifiably) unhappy about it.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it actually begins and ends there. Like, people are talking loudly online about it, as they have with anything GG, but there's nothing more to the story than the fact that some stupid Nintendo employee thought he would make a funny haha.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:45 am

reddit has boycotted anti-gamergate jokes for much less

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:13 am

And if there's one thing we should all strive for, it's to be like reddit.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:07 am

Thad wrote:I mean, I get that it's a GamerGate joke and Zoe Quinn is (justifiably) unhappy about it. That is the extent of what I've been able to infer from the tweet and I am fairly confident that typing shit into a search engine to get more background is going to make my day much worse than just asking.

That's basically it. Whether intentionally or not, Treehouse put those lines in the new Paper Mario, making light of a group that has actively sought to ruin lives and end careers. And this is after Nintendo fired Alison Rapp whilst she was trying to defend herself from GG.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 pm

I wonder if people have forgotten what foogate is supposed to be a reference to at this point #GamepotDome

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:37 pm

The $gate section of the dialog is pretty heavily weighted towards Water, but I don't buy for even half a second that whoever specifically pointed out that there are 5 of the (fun) Guys meant anything other than a Gamergate double entendre.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 pm

At ... at least this time they're recognizing it as an "online hate campaign" instead of the "criticism over social media" that they fired Alison Rapp over?

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:27 am

Rico wrote:The $gate section of the dialog is pretty heavily weighted towards Water, but I don't buy for even half a second that whoever specifically pointed out that there are 5 of the (fun) Guys meant anything other than a Gamergate double entendre.

It's pretty much impossible that anyone on the localization team hasn't heard of Gamergate. There's still a possibility that it's coincidence; I'd be interested in what the Japanese dialogue was. (Japanese people DO seem to enjoy grouping things in fives. Golion, Mach Go Go Go, and so on.)

I didn't get what "five guys" was (allegedly) a reference to until I looked it up (and, as expected, made my day worse in so doing). It's entirely possible that somebody could know what Gamergate is but not remember details like how many people whatsisname said Zoe slept with. It does seem pretty specific.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Glad to see the official response. The 'Shuffle Gate: Exposed' line seemed weird to me because I was pretty on top of the original issue and didn't remember, nor could I find anything that was written in the fashion. However it's a pretty common with watergate exposes.

That said I still wasn't calling you all dumb for thinking it was related (as I am wont to do) because the five fun guys line even out of context is nail-on-head enough that even if it is a near direct translation it would still be a failure of localization for no one on the team to realize it. Very interested in seeing someone give a more literal translation to find out.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:15 am

Rico wrote:The $gate section of the dialog is pretty heavily weighted towards Water, but

I still believe that the process of naming dumb, non-scandals in the $gate format is a coordinated conservative effort to make younger people think Watergate was a non-issue scandal about plumbing instead of the press uncovering US corruption at the highest levels. gatorGate seems to be an anomaly (in that it's a real social issue) until you realize that the term was coined by Jayne Cobb to discuss a dude's petulant, entitled whining about someone who didn't want to go out with them.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:28 am

I think you've got it backwards: the right wing keeps putting "-gate" at the end of things because they really want to convince people that, say, Travelgate really was a dire, impeachable offense.

They've been trying to nail the Clintons as murder-their-friends-and-make-it-look-like-suicide corrupt for 25 years. Their goal is absolutely not to make us think every accusation against Hillary Clinton is a partisan hissy-fit; that's the result, but it's not the intention.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:08 am

Compelling, plausible.
But it feels like the closest thing the right has had to a legit scandal was the administration's handling of Benghazi, and that didn't get a "-gate". I can't imagine a compelling "-gate" was not found for this or any other talking point nonsense. So I'm forced to conclude that this was a deliberate choice not to make it a "-gate" scandal.

Maybe I'm putting the "-gate" before the "water" here.
Maybe it seems more legit because it didn't get hit with a stupid name?

Cait

Postby Cait » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:37 am

The -gate thing feels like it grew out of a pithy pun on the Whitewater scandal; using the portmanteau 'Whitewatergate' evoked the earlier incident. Then people kept using -gate as a suffix after that without any particular rhyme or reason beyond as an indicator of scandal.

Rico

Postby Rico » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 pm

They're confident Benghazi is a scandal with legs and future scandals will get a -ghazi suffix instead of -gate.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:23 am

Caithness wrote:They're confident Benghazi is a scandal with legs and future scandals will get a -ghazi suffix instead of -gate.

Oh that's right. For a while this was GatorGahzi in the wrong circles.