GooberGoats

Classic

Re: Misogyny Kills

Postby Classic » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:39 pm

You're trying the "a woman said it's not sexist" line again? Are you hoping it is a broken clock and not a broken record?

Also, the "Don't Date" hashtag? Its rationale is exactly the conservative response to any kind of progressive effort toward equality. It, like the MRA and MGTOW and PUA communities that are or were bolstering the hashtag, are only anything other than misogyny or frustrated feelings of entitlement with dramatic mental contortions or willful ignorance.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Lyrai wrote:#HansGrueberGate, and all related hashtags, are directly related to misogyny, because that's all it is now.

Lyrai, this doesn't even sound legit. If I read this elsewhere, completely unaware that it was written by you, I'd have thought that it was a line from a bad GG-made political cartoon. You literally sound like a parody.

Classic wrote:You're trying the "a woman said it's not sexist" line again? Are you hoping it is a broken clock and not a broken record?

No, I was showing that not everyone pro-GG is a white dude.

And yeah, clearly "a woman said it's not sexist" won't work. So long as you can sweep people like her under the rug, and dismiss them as nothing more than people with internalized hatred, it doesn't matter how many of them I can show you, because you'll always have that small minority that do agree with you and that's clearly all that matters.
For the White Witch!

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Disposable Ninja wrote:Unless I'm missing something (feel free to correct me), Wu's life was never at risk

We don't really know either way, that's why it's "possibly life-threatening."

and if it ever was it certainly wasn't because she's a woman, but because she's interjected herself as an ersatz face for the anti-GG.

She "interjected" herself by being one of the many, many people to comment about it, the same way you and I are. She only became the "face" by virtue of being the second most visible woman speaking out against it, and the first most visible woman had already been chased out of her home, so mission accomplished there.

No one's getting harassed because of their gender or race or sexuality. No one.

I want you to state here on these boards for the world to see that you really, honestly, truly believe this.

So that we can know for a fact that you are actually, honest-to-God totally well-meaning and also indescribably stupid.

As hilariously lacking in self-awareness as RogueStar's tweet may be, he's right about one thing: if you don't go onto twitter claiming that GGers are worse than ISIS or that the reason Brianna Wu's game, Revolution 60, was a commercial failure was because gamers are whiny manbabies (and not because, as anyone with two working eyeballs can attest to, it looks like hot garbage), no one's going to give you any grief.

What category does Felicia Day's "this is all making me very uncomfortable" confession fall under, and what category does Chris Kluwe's stream of expletives not fall under (for three months)? Believe me, I wish I could say that you're right, but my two working eyeballs don't see it that way.

You moist sound like a parody.

Hee hee.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Brentai wrote:
and if it ever was it certainly wasn't because she's a woman, but because she's interjected herself as an ersatz face for the anti-GG.

She "interjected" herself by being one of the many, many people to comment about it, the same way you and I are. She only became the "face" by virtue of being the second most visible woman speaking out against it, and the first most visible woman had already been chased out of her home, so mission accomplished there.

One of the many to comment on it on the internet, yes; however, only one of the few to comment on it on television. Also, it's not like she's an industry insider -- she only has one game to her name, and she made that using $400,000 dollars that her wealthy parents gave her. Her prominence is entirely due to her affluence.

And as for Anita, well, hey. She can always retreat to her wealthy boyfriend/writer/puppetmaster's parent's private island. Or maybe she can get her old job back as an organizer for Pick-Up Artist conferences, and help needy young men learn how to properly neg a girl.

No one's getting harassed because of their gender or race or sexuality. No one.

I want you to state here on these boards for the world to see that you really, honestly, truly believe this.

In regards to GamerGate, christ.

As hilariously lacking in self-awareness as RogueStar's tweet may be, he's right about one thing: if you don't go onto twitter claiming that GGers are worse than ISIS or that the reason Brianna Wu's game, Revolution 60, was a commercial failure was because gamers are whiny manbabies (and not because, as anyone with two working eyeballs can attest to, it looks like hot garbage), no one's going to give you any grief.

What category does Felicia Day's "this is all making me very uncomfortable" confession fall under, and what category does Chris Kluwe's stream of expletives not fall under (for three months)? Believe me, I wish I could say that you're right, but my two working eyeballs don't see it that way.

I don't know. Do you actually consider making already public information public to be doxxing? Because that was what happened to Felicia Day: public information about her was... maintained public.
For the White Witch!

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:22 pm

HOW TO HATE THE GAMERGATE WAY

1) find a woman you don't like (i.e. 'uppity' or 'doesn't know her place')

2) browse through her entire life to find any remotely objectionable thing. YOU ARE NOW AGAINST THAT THING SPECIFICALLY.

3) bring it up at every chance to explain why this woman is execrable and deserves any shit she gets and more.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:29 pm

zaratustra wrote:HOW TO HATE THE GAMERGATE WAY

1) find a woman you don't like (i.e. 'uppity' or 'doesn't know her place')

2) browse through her entire life to find any remotely objectionable thing. YOU ARE NOW AGAINST THAT THING SPECIFICALLY.

3) bring it up at every chance to explain why this woman is execrable and deserves any shit she gets and more.

Hey, I don't use 'Uppity' to describe anyone.

I only use when parodying a anti-GGer's response to #NotYourShield. "Oh those uppity sockpuppet minorities and women, don't they know that we're working for their betterment by pretending they don't exist?"
For the White Witch!

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:49 pm

Egh. I had a reply with a thousand embedded quote boxes here but nobody wants to see this shit.

Bottom line:
Yes, it really is threatening.
Yes, it really is targeting prominent women specifically.
No, nobody deserves it.
Yes, it needs to stop.
Yes, you need to stop too.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Brentai wrote:Yes, it really is targeting prominent women specifically.

Who? Can you point me to the apparent legions of women that have actually been forced out of the industry by misogynists? The only female developer I know of who's left gaming is Tasha Harris. And, unless I'm missing something and Tim Schafer is really a massive chauvinist, I seriously doubt that the reason she returned to Pixar was because of sexism.

Because so far I've only seen one woman who made her own terrible game with family money, one serial abuser who manipulates the indie scene through backstabbing and internal politics, one social critic who says nothing except what her rich, insane, extremist boyfriend writes for her, and (admittedly small fry) a community manager who regularly bans people from a forum they paid to be in. All of them are only tangentially attached to the greater game industry at large, and all of them push a narrative that no one else can actually verify.
For the White Witch!

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:19 pm

Thad wrote:Well, you know, it's the exact same reasoning as "If we came from apes, why are there still apes?" (Or "If the Earth is rotating, how come planes can't just hover in the air and wait for China to come to them?")

It's what dogmatists say when they've already arrived at their conclusion. They're begging the question; it's not like they're going to type it into Ask Jeeves and check and see if anybody has already answered it.

I'm never going to find a victim that you won't blame, and I'm not really sure I want to. The fact that you're already doing it is disgusting and nobody here is at all sympathetic to it.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Brentai wrote:
Thad wrote:
Lyrai wrote:you're a vile little sack of coconut for suggesting otherwise.

This is completely unacceptable. I may not be able to play traffic cop here anymore, but I'm going to request that the people who can remove your post do so.

Actually, it is completely acceptable.

Agreed. DN is free to provide an object lesson in how to be demonstrably wrong, and others are at liberty to condemn him as a putrid, rat-fucked sack of shit. It polarizes the conversation and nobody learns anything, but eh, It makes my popcorn taste better.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:25 pm

What would you prefer?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:42 pm

Brentai wrote:
Thad wrote:Well, you know, it's the exact same reasoning as "If we came from apes, why are there still apes?" (Or "If the Earth is rotating, how come planes can't just hover in the air and wait for China to come to them?")

It's what dogmatists say when they've already arrived at their conclusion. They're begging the question; it's not like they're going to type it into Ask Jeeves and check and see if anybody has already answered it.

You say that like I haven't looked. Like I haven't listened. In fact, just now, I typed in "women who have been bullied out of the gaming industry" into google, all I seem to get is a jezebel article criticizing the 'uppity' female executive vice president of Electronic Arts, Gabrielle Toledano, for claiming that the idea that the game industry is sexist is a cop-out.

You're just telling me I need to educate myself. That's not an answer, nor is that even a rebuttal. That's just trying to shut me up.

EDIT:

I'm never going to find a victim that you won't blame, and I'm not really sure I want to. The fact that you're already doing it is disgusting and nobody here is at all sympathetic to it.

Yeah, welcome to my world a page ago. It doesn't matter who I show you, how many I show you, any woman or minority I present to you that doesn't validate the narrative that you've been manipulated into believing is little more than a House Nigger to you and everyone here.
For the White Witch!

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Well, in the absence of monkeys swords, someone could enlighten the fellow.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Which one of us? I don't think DNi is receptive to the idea that there's no number of people that it's okay to abuse if you don't agree with them or if they don't pertain to a specific domain.

If you mean enlightening me to the fact that this is a pointless endeavor, well, yes, I've figured that one out now.

Also I'm clearly a gorilla thank you.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Quoting since I didn't realize a new page had started when I edited my post after Brentai edited his.

Disposable Ninja wrote:
Brentai wrote:

You say that like I haven't looked. Like I haven't listened. In fact, just now, I typed in "women who have been bullied out of the gaming industry" into google, all I seem to get is a jezebel article criticizing the 'uppity' female executive vice president of Electronic Arts, Gabrielle Toledano, for claiming that the idea that the game industry is sexist is a cop-out.

You're just telling me I need to educate myself. That's not an answer, nor is that even a rebuttal. That's just trying to shut me up.

EDIT:

Yeah, welcome to my world a page ago. It doesn't matter who I show you, how many I show you, any woman or minority I present to you that doesn't validate the narrative that you've been manipulated into believing is little more than a House Nigger to you and everyone here.
For the White Witch!

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:20 pm

And if you object to my use of the phrase "House Nigger", bear in mind, that's not my opinion. That's literally what you say any and every time you use the phrase "Internalized Misogyny/Hatred/Bigotry". A "House Nigger" is exactly what you're calling people when you say that they have that.
For the White Witch!

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Wowie wow wow.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:09 pm

Okay, just stab him.

Except don't really because I was obviously kidding there. I mean, it's not like I was going out and publicly threatening a stranger and then throwing up my hands and saying "Hey, I was just joking" when heads turn my way. That'd be a completely different thing.

Who have you people been letting DN play with, anyway?

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:24 pm

That's an argument that GG seems to have picked up from one particularly slimy strain of contemporary American conservatism (and there's plenty of overlap there, witness the opportunistic grabbings of Milo Y.): they've identified some key phrases that Liberals Think Are Bad, and adopt what must seem like some brilliant rhetorical judo to them. "By accusing me of being [bad thing], it proves that YOU are the true [worse thing with slurs]!" Ha-ha, take THAT, liberals! Now you are what you hate!

To everyone else on the planet, this looks exactly like a playground taunt, "I know you are but what am I~~~~" with longer words. There's no "literally" there, no "exactly what you're calling people". There's no secret message, there's no trick decoder ring kept hidden by the other side that lets you pretend a criticism against yourself is just another way of proving yourself right. It might end some arguments, sure, but only because that argument is so monumentally stupid that there's no point responding. It's the latest subclause to Godwin's Law.