Race: The Final Frontier

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Race: The Final Frontier

Postby Joxam » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:00 am

Thad wrote:If there's a better example of Donald Trump's complete tone-deafness and hubris than picking a fight with the fucking NFL, I haven't seen it.

It's pretty amusing to see all the people swearing they're going to boycott the NFL and its sponsors, too. Yeah. Sure you are.

If you expand to just tone-deafness and hubris in general and not limit it to Trump I think evil Joe Walsh attacking Stevie Wonder as "another ungratful black billionaire" or this fucing picture of Dan Snyder could rival it.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:03 am

Thad wrote:If there's a better example of Donald Trump's complete tone-deafness and hubris than picking a fight with the fucking NFL, I haven't seen it.

It's pretty amusing to see all the people swearing they're going to boycott the NFL and its sponsors, too. Yeah. Sure you are.

A guy who CHOOSES to call himself mothefucking Bocephus is the spokesperson and public face of monday night football.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:24 am

Mongrel wrote:"Whut?! Thars some of them BLACK GUYS in the NFL?! An' the NBA?!?!? Mah gawd! How could ah have been so blind!"

I can't seem to find a grab of "A Mad Look at Racism" online; disappointing. May have to look through what's left of my Mad collection and see if I've still got it (note to self: a search indicates it's #356).

But I distinctly remember an Aragones cartoon that's got a couple panels of a guy comic-book-cursing about black people and then going home and cheering on the black guys on his local basketball team.

Joxam wrote:If you expand to just tone-deafness and hubris in general and not limit it to Trump I think evil Joe Walsh attacking Stevie Wonder as "another ungratful black billionaire" or this fucing picture of Dan Snyder could rival it.

"How dare these billionaires act like they're being oppressed?" ask people in presidential administration made up entirely of billionaires acting like they're being oppressed.

Also: eerily/depressingly relevant Tom Tomorrow cartoon from 20 years ago:

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 am

On some good news, perhaps fewer rednecks will be mad about this soon if this keeps spreading:

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:08 am

Especially nice after Trump thanked NASCAR for not protesting.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:17 pm

I heard it said a few times that Free Speech is okay, but an NFL field during the Star Spangled banner is neither the time or place.

So I wonder, what is the right time and place? Between midnight and 3am, in your room, under a blanket, with the curtains drawn and the lights turned off?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm

"Never" is the only place you're going to end up once they're done moving that goalposts. These are the real insidious motherfuckers, same as the 60s. It's not the Klan you've got to worry about, it's the "moderate" many who feel like everything was fine until you started making noise about it.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Extra amusing because there's already a grassroots #I'mWithKap boycott of the NFL going on already encouraging people to boycott over Kaepernick's treatment by the league. If even a single one of those people actually had the convictions to boycott, the end result is helping the very people they want to thumb their noses at make their own point.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:16 am

Sharkey wrote:"Never" is the only place you're going to end up once they're done moving that goalposts. These are the real insidious motherfuckers, same as the 60s. It's not the Klan you've got to worry about, it's the "moderate" many who feel like everything was fine until you started making noise about it.

Yeah, these are the people who are okay with protests as long as it doesn't impact their lives. I remember seeing a photo on facebook, I think it was of indigenous people holding hands to form a human chain across a road to protest, and so many of the comments were variations on "if I was driving on that road, I'd just run them over," you know, as if human lives weren't worth a slight inconvenience in your day.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:11 am

Hardly Ideal wrote:So I wonder, what is the right time and place?

I've barely watched Trevor Noah in months, but I watched him for his first year or so, and in that time his finest moment in an interview was with Tomi Lauren. When she was ranting about the inappropriateness of BLM protests, he said, "So how should black people protest? Under what conditions would it be acceptable to you for black people to protest?" She, of course, dodged the question.

It's very nice to see people increasingly asking that question of everyone who acts incensed by (BLM/NFL/whatever).

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Mongrel wrote:A friend of mine was musing today about something he's been thinking about for a little while: That "racist" is becoming "The N word" for whites". Well, paranoid defensive whites anyway.

I mean, it's not a perfect analogy, but it's an interesting angle.

So let me get this straight...

The fact that whites who either don't understand that their racist views are racist, or who just don't want to be ostracized for being racist, don't like being called a racist means it's becoming equivalent to a racial slur that people call black people to insult them for being born with certain perceptible genes? That's an not a perfect analogy but is an interesting angle? Are you going to tell us about how there were very fine people on both sides in Charlottesville next, Matt?

Here, I have a better analogy; perhaps even a perfect one:

White people don't like being called a racist because they don't think they are one.
Black people don't like being called an n-word because no one is one.

Saying the two are equivalent is insane or racist; perhaps even both! What it is not is an "interesting angle".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:02 pm

He meant it specifically as a criticism of whites becoming equally sensitive to the word, not that they're justified in being so. That was the whole point.

I probably should have made that more explicit in the original post.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Mongrel wrote:I probably should have made that more explicit in the original post.

That should be in your signature.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:22 pm

xD

Touché

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:21 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Not The Onion

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Brutal. Especially that headline.

Deservedly so.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Whoops!

Remember to at least make *some* kind of effort to 4chan/reddit-proof your online contests, kids!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:38 am

If the Pats excluded their racist fans, they'd never make it anywhere near a million.