Büge

Re: Race: The Final Frontier

Postby Büge » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:30 pm

And Viacom blocked it. Dicks.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Büge wrote:And Viacom blocked it. Dicks.

Uhg. There's another, newer version put up by CBS that CUTS OFF THE SPEECH for the anchors to talk about Justin Timberlake's latest tweets. I shit you not.

Replaced the video with a Vimeo link to the whole speech.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:58 am

Last night, Leslie Jones, one of the stars of Ghostbusters, was bombarded on her twitter feed with so much racist and hateful crap that she's leaving twitter.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Büge wrote:Last night, Leslie Jones, one of the stars of Ghostbusters, was bombarded on her twitter feed with so much racist and hateful crap that she's leaving twitter.

These kinds of episodes* really make me stop and wonder. What happened in those users' lives that made them think this kind of thing is okay? What would their parents think if they found their sons and/or daughters posting that? And more (inappropriately?) flippantly, is it too much to ask for the racist trolls to at least try and be a little more creative?

It's this kind of shit that makes me feel certifiably insane for having a child. Like, how did I think it was a good idea to bring another sucker into this howling fartstorm? If Hardly Jr. gets a sister, maybe I'll encourage her to just post under a male guise.

*how fucked up is it that there's enough of this going on that I can refer to them as "episodes" instead of "that singularly incredible racist news event?"
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:41 am

Fucking rage-inducing. These people are complete trash.

At the very least, Twitter finally banned one of the Brietbart manchildren that led the harassment campaign.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:04 am

"At the very least" is right. Twitter's had Nero on its radar for months, and previously punished him by...revoking his "verified user" status. Because somehow writing abusive posts means you're no longer verified? I don't even.

Also their response to this is...to make it easier for people to become verified users.

Seriously, what the fuck does the "verified" status have to do with anything at all and why does Twitter keep trotting it out as a fix for abusive tweets?

Sincerely,

Melania Trump

Sincerely,

Shia LeBeouf

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:13 pm

Banning Milo seems like a reaction to all of the heat they're getting after Leslie Jones quit twitter. Like, good job guys, you only had a couple years to ban one of the biggest shitheads on your website. Now you can go back to not paying attention to the thousands of complaints you get per day.

des

Postby des » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:44 pm

I was going to say something clever about this, but I spent so much time trying to get the damn twitter tag to work I forgot what it was. Video does what it says on the tin.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:53 pm

:everytimei'vesuspectedijustsaidsomethingreallyawkwardatwork.gif:

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:57 pm

perfect except it's missing a white person linking a black person talking about how he's always cooperated with police and never had a problem with them
ImageImageImage

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:13 pm

So unrealistic, no one even brought up black on black crime

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:19 am

Friday wrote:perfect except it's missing a white person linking a black person talking about how he's always cooperated with police and never had a problem with them

Is that actually that common? My black officemate at my previous job actually said "oh but I've always cooperated with police and never had a problem with them" when we were discussing Black Lives Matter back when it was a new thing, but he came to the US as the son of a diplomat from Nigeria so I expect he's had an atypical experience. (He also brought up that he wanted to vote for Carson, which is when I decided to minimize political discussions I had around him,)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Grath wrote:He also brought up that he wanted to vote for Carson

Yeeeeahhhhhh... I wouldn't really take this guy as representative of an average person. Or a sane one.

des

Postby des » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 pm

Grath wrote:
Friday wrote:perfect except it's missing a white person linking a black person talking about how he's always cooperated with police and never had a problem with them

Is that actually that common?

Aside from the obviously joking ones (searches for Chris Rock's How Not to Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police" surge after high profile shootings), I don't know if there are videos. But, most of my black network is on Facebook, and I rarely have to scroll far to find the one black dude who's there to tell people the individuals shot just weren't passive or compliant enough, or to scold people because 'we don't know the whole story.' Worse, these comments double when the victim is a woman.

So, yeah, this happens. Worth noting, though: since Philando Castile and Alton Sterling, I see it a lot less.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Grath wrote:My black officemate at my previous job actually said "oh but I've always cooperated with police and never had a problem with them" when we were discussing Black Lives Matter back when it was a new thing, but he came to the US as the son of a diplomat from Nigeria so I expect he's had an atypical experience.

This is so perfect I don't even have anything to add to it.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:15 am

as someone put on twitter, they SAY they're checking for technical skill, but they're really testing for "culture fit"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 pm