The Eeeeew

patito

Re: The Eeeeew

Postby patito » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:47 pm

the responsible thing to do would have been to let the vote happen instead of immediately and violently cracking down on it, which really says something about spains central government

patito

Postby patito » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:49 pm

also just because you think putin likes it doesn't make independence a bad idea

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:25 pm

patito wrote:also just because you think putin likes it doesn't make independence a bad idea

Haha, oh wow... I haven't seen that one yet. Is this something the Central Spanish government/Prime Minister is claiming?

patito

Postby patito » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:54 pm

i dunno, that's just maybe me reading too much into whatever hardlyideaL was going on about russia and putin.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:31 am

Most solid article I could find in 10 seconds of research makes the good point that Russia is generally not fond of territories declaring independence:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ion-kosovo

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 pm

The Globe & Mail had a longform piece on the state of Britain right now, and it is rather brutal.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

that's bullshit

I, an informed British voter, voted for a physical separation of England from the shackles of Europe's corrupt, pustulent landmass

We will be floating free and glorious in the mid-Atlantic, finally free from everyone who isn't my own exact shade of skin color and accent and whatever

Get out the fuckin' dynamite
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Also, IN A TOTALLY UNRELATED COINCIDENCE, this was also the symbol of the SS's "Prinz Eugen" division.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 pm

So Amber Rush resigned over the Windrush Scandal today.

If you don't know what that is, the tl;dr version is that a large number of legit Caribbean immigrants to Britain between 1948 and 1971 have recently been treated as if they are illegals. Amber Rush is the immigration minister, and just got caught lying to parliament, telling them there are no deportation targets (there are; they were leaked).

Anyway, every time I see articles about it, all I can think of is Rudd's ghastly crimes against the common collar:

LADY, THAT'S NOT HOW THOSE THINGS WORK.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:22 pm

The Tories Will Eat Themselves (editorial, but still a reasonable summary of the catastrophically moribund state of the Brexit talks).

If the predictive part of the article turns out to be true, well, good. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of asshats. Too bad Labour can't seem to get their shit together either.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 pm

So apparently recent polls show that only 10% of Britons like May's current soft-but-confused Brexit deal (nor does the EU, lol), and more alarmingly that 25% would be in favour of a new far-right anti-immigrant, anti-EU party.

Most conservative voters seem to want Barney Rubble to stage a coup of the Tories or to even form a new further-right party.

Meanwhile, Nigel Farage has been talking to Steve Bannon about forming a successor party to UKIP...

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:06 am

Head-desk. Are there any respected scientific theories about why half the world's poor are convinced that a far-right coup would somehow leave them in a better position and not, eg, stripped of all social support systems and marched off into the meat grinder of an eternal war with Eurasia?

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 am

"I’ll tell you what’s at the bottom of it: If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
- LBJ

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:04 am

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:09 am

Whole lotta people going to be coincidentally off on holiday around April first next year. We have friends in Switzerland and family in Oz. Making inquiries.

François

Postby François » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:55 am

KEEP
CALM
and
EAT THE
BREXITERS

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:15 pm

every time I think "wow, what the fuck, Trump is such an anomaly" I remember Brexit and go "uhhhh"
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:47 pm

Just wait until it does go through by default with no deal in place, the borders slam shut on our just-in-time food delivery networks and the Leave voters begin a lively and spirited debate about who's to blame for all this.* It's going to be hilarious.

* Spoilers: Me, my friends, Muslims and Jews.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Friday wrote:every time I think "wow, what the fuck, Trump is such an anomaly" I remember Brexit and go "uhhhh"

That's one of the many things that gets me about the times we live in. All the stupid shit we're going through is so stupefyingly self-inflicted. Like, at least the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan had the WTC attacks behind them (being pretty fucking generous there as far as justifications go, though, I know). But the vote for Dumbkirk and the election of a racist pumpkin demon just felt so incredibly unprompted in comparison. No great catastrophe, no real looming terror (outside of racist bullshit, anyway), but there we all went steering for the cliffs and cutting the brake lines.

Kinda makes you think we shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects, nevermind national politics.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts