The Eeeeew

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The Eeeeew

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:20 pm

Yeah, but I don't think they can just roll on and ignore it if "leave" wins.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:21 pm

It's like watching the economic equivalent of Gavrilo Princeps lining up a shot.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:40 pm

Oh shit.

Oh fuck.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:08 am

I heard NPR reporting that weather was bad in London today and that could have affected turnout -- and that low turnout benefits pro-Brexit demographics, because they care more. (I couldn't help but draw a mental analogy to how in the US the NRA's got Congress by the nuts even though 90% of Americans support universal background checks -- because people who oppose gun control turn out to vote at a massively higher rate than people who support it.)

Not sure if I buy the weather explanation or not; I have to admit my first reaction was "Wait, you mean it was raining in England?" and then laughter. But who the hell knows.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:09 am

Nah. Laziness by remainers, maybe, but not the weather. Most polling stations were saying the weather - even with flash flooding in some areas around London - had no significant impact on expected turnout and no real difficulty voting.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:26 am

Let's see what The Jerks are going on about before I go to be- wow... I forget who said it, but someone called Brexit the second biggest voting mistake in 2016, next to electing You-Know-Who. So that's pretty awesome right there.

Sleep well, y'all!
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:46 am

This is like waiting up for Eurovision except there's no camp, I'm stone fucking sober, and the loser has their international credit rating destroyed. So basically nothing like Eurovision.

Seriously, though. This sucks. And Wales voted for it? FUCKING WALES? Everybody's broke and out of work and the whole damn country is basically on welfare paid for by the EU? That Wales? What the actual suppurating fuck?

Fuck it. Best of luck rebuilding your civilization. Cunts.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:13 am

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:42 am

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 am

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:56 am

Wowowowowowow

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 am

Scarier as an example of a trend of white nationalism sweeping the western world. Not to make it about us, but...as much as I hope Trump loses massively in November, I think it's probably going to be close.

I'm hoping the (already significant) fallout of Brexit serves as a cautionary tale to other countries dealing with similar nationalist movements. Obviously the true believers aren't going to let facts get in the way of their beliefs (the thing about nationalism is it's inherently exceptionalist; "that won't happen to us because our country is better than theirs"), but Brexit couldn't have happened without some support from working-class moderates and big-business conservatives. Those are demographics that could look at this and change their minds.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:56 am

Sharkey wrote:This is like waiting up for Eurovision except there's no camp, I'm stone fucking sober, and the loser has their international credit rating destroyed. So basically nothing like Eurovision.

Seriously, though. This sucks. And Wales voted for it? FUCKING WALES? Everybody's broke and out of work and the whole damn country is basically on welfare paid for by the EU? That Wales? What the actual suppurating fuck?

Fuck it. Best of luck rebuilding your civilization. Cunts.

And somehow there's a bunch of people on welfare in the south that vote Republican, against all logic otherwise.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:09 am

Well, I see a lot of remain and lefties in general smugly pointing to this crazy currency drop like it immediately rebuts the leave side. I think this is wrong and kind of foolish. Pound Sterling going down and all this other economic damage has all been caused by the uncertainty caused by a big, important nation like the UK, potentially leaving the EU because of a referendum; not because them doing so was a bad idea. No big change like this is going to be without short term (literally the day after in this case) negative consequences.

What makes me sad about the leave vote winning, is that the leave campaign was so obviously full of shit, was so anti-intellectual, and was so clearly nationalistic and racist and yet it won. I'm saddened anytime that any example of what I call "tough-guy politics" wins and results in the world becoming more fragmented, more intolerant, less sophisticated, and less intellectual; people voting not for what is right, but for what makes their incorrect view of the world seem right, because it won.

Also, people are just idiots and direct democracy doesn't work and is a stupid idea.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:14 am

This is kind of good for the US right now, because if you want to motivate young politically-aware fence sitters to actually go out and fucking vote, you can now just say "Brexit" and kiss off.

That said, GB actually experiencing the societal implosion that we've merely been dreading is probably not actually good for the US.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:18 am

Fun fact: I have UK dual citizenship (my dad was born in London) and about 2 months ago my wife and I were joking about using my EU passport to lay low in Portugal for a couple years until this whole Trump thing blows over.

Welp!

Scotland will pass an independence referendum within 18 months. Northern Ireland might even try to unify with the RoI. Nuts.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:55 am

On the plus side, though, everyone in the entire Delta Quadrant fleeing to T-Bills is going to push interest rates even lower so if you were thinking about getting a mortgage 2017 will probably be the best year for that in our lifetimes.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Spooky Skeleton wrote:What makes me sad about the leave vote winning, is that the leave campaign was so obviously full of shit, was so anti-intellectual, and was so clearly nationalistic and racist and yet it won.

I won't pretend to know much about the situation leading to Brexit outside of what I heard from my favorite talking heads, but I'm pretty sure I know racist shit when I see it. And this vote looks one that people made with their guts instead of their heads... okay, maybe they did use their heads, but only the reptilian part.

It's not even 9am local time on my end, and it's already feeling like a Sad-Music-On-Loop day. Maybe I should just tab back to the cuteness thread and watch a sleepy parrot for like eight hours.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Things that are true today that were not true a few days ago:

1. We are one step closer to V for Vendetta
ImageImageImage

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:47 pm

pacobird wrote:using my EU passport to lay low in Portugal for a couple years until this whole Trump thing blows over.

Hahaha, I had totally not read this when I mentioned Departugal earlier.