Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Joxam » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:49 pm

So Sessions is going to go down because he's up to his tiny racist ears in Russian bullshit and then no one is going to be in a position to do anything about Trump firing Mueller, right?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Brentai wrote:
Mongrel wrote:As Thad pointed out earlier, it's unlikely that enough Republicans will give a damn to stand against him for it to matter, so slavish and craven are they. The big question is how his supporters will take it if he pardons himself or his family.

I've already seen at least one "The Liberals are so mad that Russia interfered with our rigged election but THEY interfere with rigged foreign elections all the time" op-ed, so yeah, they're fine with it now.

Well, Op-Eds are one thing, rust belt randoms are another.

How many of them might draw the line at "pardoning yourself for unspecified crimes after firing the guy looking into them", we don't know.

But, short of eating a baby on live TV or something, pardoning himself and his family is about the worst-looking thing he could do. I mean even Nixon didn't do that, and when Ford pardoned Nixon, he halved his popularity overnight. And that's in spite of the fact that Ford was widely seen as genuinely uninvolved in Watergate (due to his arrival after the fact).

Incidentally, I figure if enough regular Americans who voted Trump don't care if he pardons himself, then that's when you can close the Republic's eyes and pull the sheet over its face.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Rico

Postby Rico » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:23 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Buzzfeed: The little-known millionaire who funded white nationalism

Basically, this guy spent money for thirty years building up the groundwork that led to Spencer, et al.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:19 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:09 pm

omfg

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:26 pm

*squint*

*squiiiiint*

...somebody... once... told...

Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:56 pm

So the Senate has, by a 51-50 vote, agreed to a debate on absolutely nothing. All their previous bills have been so unpopular that in order to secure an absolute bare minimum of votes (including flying in a cancer patient and having the VP break the tie), they went with "TBD".

This is Lewis Carroll shit. Like everything that's happened since November (or possibly earlier), it would be hilarious if it weren't so terrifying.

I still don't expect it to pass, because they still have the same problem they've had for the last seven years: the "replace" part of "repeal and replace" is empty rhetoric. There's still no plan. All evidence indicates that there can't BE a plan that satisfies 50 Republicans and 0 Democrats.

I'm not suggesting complacency -- they're closer than they were a week ago, and Lord knows I've made some disastrously wrong predictions. They could absolutely still manage to pass something -- it's just that I can't, for the life of me, figure out what. I just know it's not going to be anything good.

But does this at least mean that the Democrats can start proposing fixes? Can, say, Sanders introduce an amendment calling for single-payer, as long as we're grandstanding?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:36 pm

The speculation at this point is that the Republicans are going to go for the "Skinny Repeal" which is where they only repeal the individual mandate (and of course hope that the exchanges fail as a result).

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Thad wrote:But does this at least mean that the Democrats can start proposing fixes? Can, say, Sanders introduce an amendment calling for single-payer, as long as we're grandstanding?

Come to think of it, they should be grandstanding the everloving shit out of this, or at the very least pointing and laughing at the Republicans. At worst, it'll just be screaming into the void.

Mongrel wrote:The speculation at this point is that the Republicans are going to go for the "Skinny Repeal" which is where they only repeal the individual mandate (and of course hope that the exchanges fail as a result).

I read something on Wonkette earlier about how they're also trying indirect methods of just ruining Obamacare. Scrapping assistance programs, reducing enrollment periods, basically sabotaging and undermining the parts they can't kill. Which is really fuckin' cynical! "Look how Obamacare's dying!" they say as they stand over the thing, holding a bloody lug wrench.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:29 pm

The problem with that tactic is that if someone besides President Pewdiepie gets smart and takes ahold of the message by screaming in a more entertaining fashion, it'll be really easy for them to change "ObamaCare" to "<foo>Care" based on whoever happened to be the last person to touch it. If you were feeling really vindictive you could even poison-pill the thing and convince the Reds to start calling it CainCare or McCare or whatever, in "honor" of the man who decided for whatever reason to make pushing it through his last political act on Earth. Just ruin a dead veteran's legacy while making a bunch of cartoon faces. That's the world you've handed us.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:19 pm

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:39 am

Pissbaby says no more trans people in my military.

Go piss up a rope, you bigoted piece of filth.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 am

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm

McDohl wrote:transsexuals

"Transgender people" or "trans people", please, McDohl. Not "transsexuals". Thank you. :)

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Oh my god, I'm sorry. I was so livid this morning, I shouldn't have made such an error.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:02 pm

McDohl wrote:Pissbaby says no more trans people* in my military.

Go piss up a rope, you bigoted piece of filth.

Wasn't there some opinionated creature wailing recently about trans people* joining the military for that sweet, sweet government reassignment surgery? Because that's just like Trump. "I HEARD THIS ON THE NEWS AND NOW I'M AGAINST IT," even though I remember him saying he'd protect LGBTQ people on the campaign trail.

(I know, it's dumb to trust anything Trump says. I'm just mad thinking about some gay/bi family friends who defended Trump over Clinton because of her positions on the Defense of Marriage act or something. I'd ask what they think now, except it'd probably come out as some variant of "go pound sand.")

Also, I heard on KPCC earlier that one of the reasons they're deferring trans* soldiers is to "review their readiness and lethality." Which makes sense, because anything less than a man is a pansy who falls to pieces when they so much as hear a truck backfire, therefore no icky wimpy trannies. Nevermind that the same arguments have been used to keep women out of the military, even when they prove to be badasses.

*...those terms are okay to use, right? I really try to stay on top of everything, but sometimes it feels like a secret club password that changes weekly.

Edit to add: I fuckin' knew it!

And as Wonkette notes, this comes on the anniversary of Truman signing an executive order to desegregate the military.