Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Thad

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:28 am

Plenty of grifters are successful. Carnival barkers, used car salesmen, people running pyramid schemes.

Trump's only real talent is taking advantage of a mark -- but that is a talent, of a sort.

There's no way he'd be rich if his daddy hadn't been. But he'd have found some somewhat-successful grift to sustain himself.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:48 pm

You've probably heard already, but Trump is having the Clemson University football team over to the White House for a championship celebration dinner, where they're serving... McDonald's and pizza, among others.

The story earned the expected grief noises, but it took me like two days to realize "Oh yeah, everyone who'd make anything even vaguely regal is probably furloughed! Haha, LOL, #TiredOfWinning" I'm also hearing that Trump himself had to pay for it (for a change).
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:41 pm

What about his promises that Taco Bell would pay for everything?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Bill Clinton is fucking losing it.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:24 pm

The image of the President of the People standing behind a stack of shitty corporate factory-made hamburger boxes because he apparently couldn't find a local caterer in Washington D.C. just kinda creates a historical snapshot of what America's like in 2019. Nothing more humble than a line-cooked meal.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 pm

The fries in cups with the President's Seal on them is about where I lose it.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm

man remember when Obama used Dijon mustard

talk about tarnishing the decorum of the office

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Brentai wrote:The image of the President of the People standing behind a stack of shitty corporate factory-made hamburger boxes because he apparently couldn't find a local caterer in Washington D.C. just kinda creates a historical snapshot of what America's like in 2019. Nothing more humble than a line-cooked meal.

Except... The White House Mess is part of the Navy and so it isn't actually furloughed. He absolutely could've had a real meal, prepared the way normal White House meals are done, that wouldn't have gone cold from spending two hours going through three different security checkpoints.

Unless the White House Mess cooks all quit their jobs the first time he asked for a well-done steak with ketchup.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:22 pm

I would caution people from getting too pumped up on this.

There's a rather large number of people who have to live on that stuff and who seem to think this is an overreaction. Too far and it's just bait for "liberal elitists" (I mean, don't get me wrong, it's fucking stupid and the claims that Trump did this as some kind of masterstroke is giving him entirely too much credit... but there's definitely some instinctive intent behind it). Nate Silver actually tweeted that he thought he'd have loved it if he was a college kid still.

Also, it actually turned out to be a hit. College kids love junk as a general rule, but these ones have a nutritionist - so they don't normally get any of this stuff! That meant this turned into a legit treat for them and they chowed down like champs. Or as one player said “I mean you’re not just gonna NOT eat the Big Macs stacked in a pile right?”

I guess you could call the whole affair a... nothingburger.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm

If we keep being elitist about McDonald's and the deps keep reacting to that like they always do then eventually our entire problem will take care of itself.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Grath wrote:
Brentai wrote:The image of the President of the People standing behind a stack of shitty corporate factory-made hamburger boxes because he apparently couldn't find a local caterer in Washington D.C. just kinda creates a historical snapshot of what America's like in 2019. Nothing more humble than a line-cooked meal.

Except... The White House Mess is part of the Navy and so it isn't actually furloughed. He absolutely could've had a real meal, prepared the way normal White House meals are done, that wouldn't have gone cold from spending two hours going through three different security checkpoints.

Unless the White House Mess cooks all quit their jobs the first time he asked for a well-done steak with ketchup.

Yeah, it's definitely intentional.

Of course that doesn't mean that the people on both the left and right claiming this was a Trump being a 4-dimensional chessmaster are right either. Trump has the instincts for this sort of stunt, but hardly the cunning.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:34 pm

"If it's stupid and it works, it's still stupid and you're lucky."

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Mongrel wrote:I would caution people from getting too pumped up on this.

There's a rather large number of people who have to live on that stuff and who seem to think this is an overreaction. Too far and it's just bait for "liberal elitists" (I mean, don't get me wrong, it's fucking stupid and the claims that Trump did this as some kind of masterstroke is giving him entirely too much credit... but there's definitely some instinctive intent behind it). Nate Silver actually tweeted that he thought he'd have loved it if he was a college kid still.

Also, it actually turned out to be a hit. College kids love junk as a general rule, but these ones have a nutritionist - so they don't normally get any of this stuff! That meant this turned into a legit treat for them and they chowed down like champs. Or as one player said “I mean you’re not just gonna NOT eat the Big Macs stacked in a pile right?”

Yeah, no, this view is dumb. By arguing both that we shouldn't make fun of fast food meals because some people are stuck with it, and that, really, they enjoy this kind of thing, you're essentially saying that this is all they deserve. Trump can eat whatever fucked up terrible shit he wants in or outside of the white house, but just because your kid like fidget spinners doesn't mean getting them a birthday gift at the gas station on the way home isn't bullshit.

And ultimately it all comes down not to what Trump does, but what he says. "It'll be interesting. And I would think that's their favorite food. So we'll see what happens."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Grath wrote:Except... The White House Mess is part of the Navy and so it isn't actually furloughed.

I showed this to a friend and his reply was "I thought the white house mess got a deferment for bone spurs?"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:50 pm

beatbandito wrote:
Mongrel wrote:I would caution people from getting too pumped up on this.

Yeah, no, this view is dumb. By arguing both that we shouldn't make fun of fast food meals because some people are stuck with it, and that, really, they enjoy this kind of thing, you're essentially saying that this is all they deserve. Trump can eat whatever fucked up terrible shit he wants in or outside of the white house, but just because your kid like fidget spinners doesn't mean getting them a birthday gift at the gas station on the way home isn't bullshit.

And ultimately it all comes down not to what Trump does, but what he says. "It'll be interesting. And I would think that's their favorite food. So we'll see what happens."

Nah, it's more that there's a lot of piling on from the usual sources and a lot of people are saying "Hey... I like McDonalds/eat McDonalds all the time." which creates a dumb (but real) sense of sympathy. It plays to the crowd he wants it to play with and gets the "elitists" who always make fun of him to do it again.

Like Brent says, yeah, it's stupid. But Trump kind of gets the idea behind it at a gut level - it's an encouragement of another backfire like the Drumpf thing. The fact that the players actually LIKED this was the lucky part.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:28 pm

holy shit dril

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 pm

No matter what you think of Trump's decision, I think we can all agree that this video is objectively hilarious:

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 am

/MyBrainIsFullOfFuck.jpg

As I was watching this, a grown man fumbling to cut a piece of pizza with a pair of tongs, I think I heard a tiny voice in my head whispering "We didn't land on the moon. We just aren't smart enough."
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 am

I love the hand that reaches out before stopping

"Fuck's sakes just tear them apa- ... Oh. Right. White House."