Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Thad

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Thad » Wed May 27, 2020 4:05 pm

Mongrel wrote:Barr's DOJ just dropped the insider trading investigations against Loeffler et al.

The investigations against Loeffler, Inhofe, and Feinstein. The one into Burr is still ongoing.

Which is better than nothing but not exactly a good thing. Loeffler in particular looks crooked as hell. (Though, while I don't care for Feinstein, from what I've read her investments are in a blind trust and these trades were made without her knowledge. I think that's plausible, though there are still plenty of other reasons not to like her.)

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Wed May 27, 2020 4:23 pm

If I were Feinstein I'd be goading as many people as possible into trying to investigate her. You can't charge somebody with insider trading without establishing what kind of information they'd have to trade on.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 28, 2020 2:19 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 31, 2020 8:16 am

It may be time for a new thread on just current protests?

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun May 31, 2020 6:57 pm

maybe don't use a tweet from a known fascist sympathizer

try this one

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 31, 2020 7:15 pm

Sorry, when multiple trans activists I follow keep retweeting someone I tend to just follow through with a link without realizing more research is required.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 pm

I was kinda waiting to see if that post caused more frustration to follow-up, but I think it's worth coming back to point out that:

A lot of people I follow have been retweeting and liking Shoe's tweets. I specified trans because those are more of the issues I see coming from her, and most commonly through Casey explosion and Liv tweets, not because I am trying to imply that if other trans people retweet her that's all that should be needed.

But still, something like "hey shoe has some really, really bad takes and here's another source it would be better to use" rather than implying that I am both aware of issues about her and linking directly from her feed would have caused less frustration from assumption about me that I'm now trying to prevent causing through my above post.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun May 31, 2020 9:38 pm

Okay, my apologies for implying that.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 31, 2020 9:55 pm

I think in this day and age we're all going to get caught at least once in a while when linking, retweeting, quoting, etc. something we found funny/interesting without realizing the person posting it is an asshole, because it's extremely normal to see said funny/interesting thing and have your first thought be the excitement "Oh man, my dudes'll love this!" rather than the (albeit warranted) paranoia of "I need to research this to make sure the person behind it isn't scum".

Thankfully, at least here we're more likely to give each other the benefit of the doubt or to quickly resolve a misunderstanding, then we are to turn it into another bone of contention for the pile.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:07 am

There should totally be a Contentious Bonepile thread topped with the Kohr-Ah trophy pit portrait.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Trump claiming he invented Juneteenth made Juneteeth famous is something special even by his standards after four years in office.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 pm

It's all over the news so you guys have probably already seen this, but Trump just retweeted, then deleted a video of a supporter chanting "white power".

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:02 am

WAIT SHIT TOO ON THE NOSE

UH

WHAT ABOUT THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE *AGAINST* NAZIS

THEY SEEM PRETTY SHIT
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:18 pm

"But why not Orange Power?"

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Thad wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Thad wrote:I don't find it hard to believe that he killed himself and that the reason he wasn't under suicide watch is that the guards wanted him dead. And there are plenty of reasons to want a serial child rapist dead besides a coverup.

That said? If someone were to arrange a coverup, this is exactly what it would look like. We'll never know what happened, we'll never know the full extent of secrets he was keeping for powerful people, his victims will never get justice, and that's fucking infuriating.

This is going to be the biggest source of conspiracy theories since 9/11.

But it's not over. The investigation's still ongoing, with or without Epstein, and Ghislaine Maxwell looks like a pretty rich target too.

Yeah, about that.

As always, I don't have your legal background (or Mariotti's), but...as I read it, I think there's a difference between ending the criminal case against Epstein and ending the investigation into what he and his associates were doing. Per the NYT:

Jeffrey Epstein is dead. But the criminal investigation that led to the sex-trafficking charges against him is not.

Federal prosecutors and F.B.I. agents who built the case against Mr. Epstein will turn their attention to people whom his accusers have said participated in a scheme that dates back more than a decade and involved the sexual exploitation of dozens of underage girls.

That could include a circle of close associates whom accusers said helped recruit, train and coerce them into catering to Mr. Epstein, a wealthy financier.

Lord knows the NYT ain't always right, but...my read is that doesn't actually contradict what Mariotti said?

Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein's longtime associate, has been charged with enticement of minors

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:19 pm

Still plenty of time for her to die in jail before trial too.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:41 pm

Oh yeah, that's gonna be a whole wild adventure for both sides of that equation.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:48 pm

And now you know why Barr had to fire Geoffrey Berman as US Attorney for SDNY and attempt to install one of Trump's puppets.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:54 am

This glorious trainwreck is doing the rounds on Facebook

And I honestly can't tell if it's genuine or satirical. That ain't Melania.