Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 04, 2018 1:59 pm

NYT: And now Trump throws Rudy under the bus.

These guys couldn't get more 80's cartoon villain if they tried.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri May 04, 2018 2:11 pm

SMOG
DEFORESTATION
TOXICS
SUPER RADIATION
COVFEFE

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri May 04, 2018 3:31 pm

<3 <3 <3

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat May 05, 2018 11:23 am

Mongrel wrote:NYT: And now Trump throws Rudy under the bus.

These guys couldn't get more 80's cartoon villain if they tried.

Reminder: the reason Donald Trump seems so much like an '80s villain is that a significant number of '80s villains are based on Donald Trump.

(not an exhaustive list)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 05, 2018 1:20 pm

This is true, but I'm also thinking in the sense of Skeletor screeching about being "surrounded by incompetents!" while his lackeys sabotage each other.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun May 06, 2018 12:46 am

Obama made fun of Trump at one of the White House Correspondent's Dinners. Ever since, it's been his life's mission to be anti-Obama.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 am

Grath wrote:

Obama made fun of Trump at one of the White House Correspondent's Dinners. Ever since, it's been his life's mission to be anti-Obama.

I get that angle. It's more how crazy the efforts have been to sabotage the Iran deal SPECIFICALLY, with Bibi jumping up, super-eager to cater to Trump in his quest. He's actually hired the agents of another country entirely, which is INSANE no matter how much of a supposed ally they are.

Like, it's not that trump got party plumbers to look up dirty shit on political opponents, it's that he actually went entirely outside the US to do this. Even Nixon was smart enough to use theoretically loyal, in-house lackeys!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun May 06, 2018 11:47 am

Judge Ellis has said some stern things about the Manafort prosecution, noting that Mueller hasn't identified anything directly related to the Trump campaign and the reason he's going after Manafort (instead of referring the case to somebody else, as with Cohen) is obviously to put pressure on him to testify against Trump.

(I've seen some articles note that Ellis is usually tough on lawyers, both defense and prosecution, and that this doesn't necessarily suggest he's leaning in any particular direction.)

He's asked that Mueller's team present evidence of why they should be the ones in charge of this indictment; they've responded that they can't give him any more information than they have because the rest is classified, but that they've given him unredacted copies of everything they have that's pertinent to the Manafort case.

Now, something that jumps out to me about that: the leaked list of Mueller's questions for Trump that the NYT published last week included this one: "What knowledge did you have of any outreach by your campaign, including by Paul Manafort, to Russia about potential assistance to the campaign?"

So if Ellis is not satisfied that the evidence the Mueller team has given him on Manafort is pertinent to the Trump investigation, and the Mueller team claims that they've given him everything they have that's pertinent to Manafort, that would seem to imply one of three things: (1) the prosecution is being less than entirely truthful with the judge in the Manafort case; (2) Mueller's question about Manafort colluding with the Russians during the campaign is a bluff; (3) the list of questions published by the NYT is (at least partially) fake.

Much as I want to see Mueller succeed, looking at this objectively I think Ellis is right. While the special prosecutor has the authority to follow any evidence of criminal activity he finds during his investigation, there is something troubling about prosecuting a crony for an unrelated crime to put pressure on him to cut a deal to testify against his boss. If Manafort's illegal activities are unrelated to the Trump campaign, then he should still be prosecuted, but not by Mueller. And if they are related to the Trump campaign (and I think they probably are), then Mueller should have to prove that, not just say "we have evidence but it's classified."

To many three-letter agencies have gotten away with violating due process too many times by citing a need to keep their evidence classified. More judges need to push back against that behavior. Even if this ends up being a blow to the Mueller investigation, I think Ellis's concerns are legitimate.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 pm

NYT: Firm Tied to Russian Oligarch Made Payments to Michael Cohen

It's not as red hot as the headline might make it seem, since links on the Russian side aren't as blatant. But they're there.

So we're looking at the possibility that Putin very quietly arranged to send Cohen cash via a chain of intermediaries for, y'know... reasons.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 pm

This one's too good for me not to waste one of my precious posts on.

The Hill: Oliver North: Trump should sanction anyone who does business with Iran

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#NOT

THE

FUCKING

ONION

atog

Postby atog » Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 pm

"Trump should sanction anyone who does business with Irony." --Ollie North
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 14, 2018 8:53 pm

There are no leakers, but we're gonna get them anyway! Also the President is casually calling people traitors again, I'm sure that always goes well.

EDIT: Someone else pointed out that these are his own employees.

EDIT2:
MY ADMINISTRATION IS FULL OF TRAITORS TO THE NATION says US president.

It's exactly like the last supper!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 am

Shocked, shocked.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Just as the night rises against the day, the light and dark are in eternal conflict. So too, is the subhuman the greatest enemy of the dominant species on earth, mankind. The subhuman is a biological creature, crafted by nature, which has hands, legs, eyes and mouth, even the semblance of a brain. Nevertheless, this terrible creature is only a partial human being.

Although it has features similar to a human, the subhuman is lower on the spiritual and psychological scale than any animal. Inside of this creature lies wild and unrestrained passions: an incessant need to destroy, filled with the most primitive desires, chaos and coldhearted villainy.

A subhuman and nothing more!

Not all of those who appear human are in fact so. Woe to him who forgets it!

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri May 18, 2018 2:34 pm

I think I'm mostly relieved hearing this one: Basically nobody reads Trump's tweets.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Er.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri May 25, 2018 4:37 pm

"When they turned back, Trump was gone, only a lingering cloud of smoke left in his place, and Fort Knox had been robbed"
ImageImageImage

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed May 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Caught the end of Steve Inskeep talking with Peter Navarro on KPCC earlier, and I dunno, I just got pissed off: https://www.npr.org/2018/05/30/61541460 ... s-on-china

Inskeep: Let me ask you about another thing that is on people’s minds. As you know, the president has maintained ownership of his company, has business interests around the world, his daughter Ivanka Trump has business interests in China and just got a bunch more trademarks approved. How do you reassure people that in all of his decisions, the president is acting in the national interest rather than his interest or his family’s business interest?

Navarro: I think it’s unfortunate when anybody takes the discussion in that direction, when you and I are having a really important discussion about a historic decision made yesterday, about a serious national security threat and a serious threat to our economic prosperity. That’s what I’m focused on, Steve, and we have not much time to talk about these things, and I think the American people would rather focus on how to stop China from taking the seed corn of our future prosperity, so that’s what I’m focused on. Can we stay on that, sir?

(emphasis mine)

Don’t tell me what I’m fucking concerned about.

Also, answer the fucking question. Like, how did you ever finish a book report in school if you can't do that?

Also too, maybe I need a Yoji (and Mr Saturn Can Come Too) Gets Mad at the News thread.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Wed May 30, 2018 8:25 pm

I wish there were some reporters who would just damn the consequences and longterm access and just yell out "That's bullshit and you know it! Answer the question!" A good portion of why they get away with answers like that is being too scared to challenge the government or whoever because they might not get let in anymore so they can be lied to directly.