Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Yoji

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Yoji » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I know it's still early to say anything with certainty, just linking for the clever and funny part of Twitter.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Even if he's (SOMEHOW?!) not bomb-guy, he still has a long rap sheet and is obviously a Trumpian Lunatic who's threatened people with harm, so I'm pretty okay with "The internet is making fun of this guy".

I think my favourite part of the story so far is that the FBI's investigators are trying to determine of the bombs don't work because the perp was just trying to scare people and didn't intend for them to go off, or because he was so stupid he couldn't properly rig up a pipe bomb.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:10 pm

FBI just released word that Trump Candy Van Dude was arrested based on fingerprint & DNA evidence.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:40 pm

So the guy Twitter were brushing off threats from had previous arrest records for this kind of thing? Jolly good.

My favourite van description so far was "An ice cream truck that only sells racism".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:02 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:24 am

So the 2020 ads are going to be Trump talking about how he's a tough guy, followed by a supercut of Trump saying "very unfair" interspersed with toddlers whining about how things are not fair, and then close with "I'm not a baby," right?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:51 am

Thad wrote:So the 2020 ads are going to be Trump talking about how he's a tough guy, followed by a supercut of Trump saying "very unfair" interspersed with toddlers whining about how things are not fair, and then close with "I'm not a baby," right?

Implying the Democrats would have the brains to do this.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:42 am

It might be magical thinking. They don't want to live in an America where that's the reality of politics, so they play the game as if they're not living there. And so they lose.

François

Postby François » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:53 am

"When they go low, we put our heads in the sand!"

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:16 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Thad wrote:So the 2020 ads are going to be Trump talking about how he's a tough guy, followed by a supercut of Trump saying "very unfair" interspersed with toddlers whining about how things are not fair, and then close with "I'm not a baby," right?

Implying the Democrats would have the brains to do this.

Doesn't have to be the Democrats. Could be a PAC; whoever.

Is Beto's campaign responsible for the "Come on, Ted" ad, or is it a third party?

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:10 pm

For what it's worth, for all of you feeling this way about the Dems - and rightly so...

Seriously, get out there. That doesn't mean you have to schedule a nine-month doorknocking tour, ahaha.
But I always go house to house around election time, and since I have the reputation of being the 'everyone's seemingly stern but cool' sister... Or maybe aunt, now... It helps. All elections are won on margins, every single one.

The reason dems go with ads like that for TV is - frankly - nobody watches TV.
Individual shows might be streamed and so, but - Fox, which genuinely hits 2.5 million viewers at it's peak, hits... 2.5 million viewers. That's less than a hundredth of the U.S population, and though you could argue that there are exceptions (the lovely Rachel Maddow has been hitting peak highs for awhile, now!), or that the ability to intrude snippets and 'alternate realities' starts there, the actual reality is that for the demographic most likely to leave the TV on all day...

I'm sure their data-magicians suspect those ads work best.
Therefore, it is our civic duty to be on the ground for this. We will be living out the consequences; and though I won't lie, I'm a lot more scared about talking to people face to face then I was four years back, I'm always scared. No reason to let it stop me.
Eventually, I'll be old enough to be one of those League of Women Voters volunteers that is omnipresent at the polls, and my life shall be complete.

But maybe you live in an even more rural area, or you can't get to that place. Do not fear.
Whether it's phonebanking or writing op-eds or helping party infrastructure, there is something you can do. And maybe I'm misreading the atmosphere of the thread, but I have faith in your abilities to help.

'inspirational paff' aside, I'm still giggling over the MAGAVAN. Maybe I shouldn't be because it's serious. But I am. I knew a guy like that. His house burnt down in what I assume was a very intelligent and well-executed insurance scam.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Not sure this is the right thread, but far-right candidate Jair Bolsonaro won the Brazilian presidency with 55%. In case you haven't met this charmer, let's look at the highlights:
-Called a female critic too ugly to rape
-Said that previous Brazilian dictators didn't kill enough people
-Wants to bulldoze the entire Amazon rainforest
-Suggested jailing political opponents
Naturally, Trump and his followers are cheering for him.

...I stopped in my tracks yesterday. Or was it this morning? Anyway, I was suddenly horrified at the thought that my son and/or daughter might find themselves fighting in World War III a couple decades from now. It sure feels like we're heading that way sometimes.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 pm

For what it's worth, his party did a lot worse in the Senate and House of Brasil than I expected; and the Brasilian judiciary is still fairly independent. Of course, my opinion on law and institutions is - low, despite my fight for them, so I'm largely with you. I think one advantage I have going into this time is that I was always raised to believe in millenarianism, and I have always felt it is a matter of when as opposed to if.

For extra points, his VP is literally a general. Also, regarding the Amazon, he did insanely well there.
Humanity is innately unlovable.

But do not lose hope.
It is because of the future sons and daughters we have, or cannot have, that we must keep hope - and keep fighting. This reality makes it all the more important that we work to strengthen our countries, promote democracy, and produce institutions that will prove people like me wrong.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 pm

I feel like this is too obvious to state, but if you actually cared for a second about "America First" you might look at the last, oh, 250 or so odd years of history and conclude that a militaristic South American regime might not turn out to be one of our best friends.

I can't believe I miss the Bush-era Republicans this much. Yeah, they were ineffective blowhards whose wars we're still fighting, thank you very much, but at least they started wars against terrorists. Usually.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:42 pm

As a former (paper) Republican, don't miss them too much. They were more competent, and hesitantly did things pro-human-rights occasionally. The majority of the ones who'd left, left early on, or left long ago. We should still encourage dissent and doubt wherever we see it, of course - but the true believers, the intellectual conservatives?

If their party ever existed, it was largely in our/their heads.
(That being said, Salty David Frum is my spirit animal and will continue to be until we both die.)

For the forseeable future, it's all Dems, all-down-ballot; we must continue to do so until it is electorally untenable for Republicans to appeal to popular ugliness. And for those of you who really want third parties to be a thing, push local electoral reform. All politics is local. All of it. Call your representatives, especially if they're ones you like, and mention it. Just hoping the national party/parties of your region will adopt it ex nihilo will never happen.

We are the base unit of democracy, putting it another way...

I also strongly recommend approaching your city/county/province/parish/etc governments about municipal internet; it's arguably the best way to break the backs of the telecoms lobby, and even in a somewhat rural area, I've gotten strong support from across the board about it.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:20 am

Dr. Seuss on America First

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Holy shit. https://www.npr.org/2018/10/30/66204390 ... tive-order

Well, that seems pretty "nationalistic".

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Sooo if this is his mid-term campaign, that's Trump assuming that Trump supporters are racist. Banking on it. It's like a Star Trek logic bomb.

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 pm

hngkong wrote:Holy shit. https://www.npr.org/2018/10/30/66204390 ... tive-order

Well, that seems pretty "nationalistic".

Also impossible unless he gets the guts to declare himself an actual dictator and no one does anything. Even with a complacent GOP congress this can't happen. He's just making noise.