Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Hardly Ideal

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Hardly Ideal » Wed May 17, 2017 11:00 am

I'd still rather see literally anyone else in the White House. If Trump keeps on like he's doing, I'd be surprised if the US doesn't end up getting nuked by Canada.

ETA: I heard Paul Ryan on the radio making mouth noises about how everyone needs to be deliberate, dispassionate, and wait for all of the facts before making a judgement on the Russian Connection. I couldn't help but think "Dude, we're not living in subtle times. It's okay to just say you want to slow-walk the investigation into Fanta Hitler."
Image: Mention something from public radio
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 1:05 pm

And we don't have nukes!

(You tried to give us some but we decided we didn't want 'em).

Hardly Ideal

Postby Hardly Ideal » Wed May 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Mongrel wrote:And we don't have nukes!

(You tried to give us some but we decided we didn't want 'em).

I know! I imagine him pissing you guys off so much, you'd make a few just for the occasion. He's just that big of an asshole.
...man, I'm feeling rather italic today.
Image: Mention something from public radio
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Random thought on Pence. I think he's just as bad as Trump policy wise but I do think he's easier to "beat". He's so fucking laboriously BORING. Don't get me wrong dude is pure fucking evil, but he's boring middle of the country evil. He doesn't fancy himself a NYC thug, he fucking calls his wife, "Mother" like a fucking baptist minister for god sake. He's so god damn old fashioned right wing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 1:33 pm

He's a more stable form of evil, hopefully meaning you can at least stop worrying about the more chaotic outcomes like nukes being launched on a Wednesday after someone said something mocking on a Tuesday.

Take what you can get, I guess.

Oh and (unrelated, but I was just coming here to post it):

<fmm> There's a recurring mention of "meddling kids" in the Comey memos
<Grant> let's see who the president really is!
<Grant> Old man Putin?!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Oh and Putin is offering to provide transcripts of Lavrov meeting in oval office.

If Putin is wiling to toss his tool away, it probably means he thinks it's to his advantage for Trump to sink. And Putin almost certainly has the ability to sink Trump.

Trump is probably fucked.

My guess is that if anything changed matters, maybe the missile strike made Putin gun-shy about what President Baby might be capable of flinging in a tantrum.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Holy shit, this tweet by Sharkey has blown up, I'm seeing it quoted all over:

Feels a bit weird. You're a temporary celebrity again, Sharkey!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Hot from the pages of #nottheonion:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 40726.html

Staff members are being forced to strategically include the President's name in the reports to ensure that he keeps reading and doesn't get distracted, they said. National Security Council officials make sure "as many paragraphs as we can because he keeps reading if he's mentioned", they told Reuters.

Wowwwwwww

This really is straight out of Saturday morning cartoon villainy.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 2:35 pm

McConnell now calling for public testimony from Comey.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Hell one of his staffers actually said he's not smart enough to grasp his briefings with enough intellegence to actually leak actionable classified info. If this fucking clown gets off for being too stupid after 8 years of, "is the black man smart enough" I'm probably going to lose my shit.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Mongrel wrote:Feels a bit weird. You're a temporary celebrity again, Sharkey!

Shit. I guess that's what I get for leaving my cave in the desert for ten minutes.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Spooky Skeleton wrote:The problem for me though is that, impeaching Trump really doesn't matter.

Get him out, get rid of this gluttonous, non-stop lying, moronic, opaquely profiteering, orange clown makeup wearing, televisionaholic who tweets at SNL like a baby for making fun of him like they have done to every President prior to him.

So what?

Hurray, Mike Pence is now president and everything will proceed as scheduled.

The problem isn't Trump, the problem is that republican voters picked him as their candidate and then the GOP ran him, and then they voted for him again because the only other choice was Hilary. The problem is that the Republicans control the senate and congress and will willingly back this imbecile while idiots in your country wear red caps, worry about their gun rights over the sick and the ill dying, claim that the police are under attack because people keep telling them to stop murdering people, and go to Berkeley to protest in favour of free speech while jabbing at people with spear tipped flag poles.

Been thinking about this, and at the risk of sounding all "both sides do it!" seeking to avoid Trump removal due to this risk of a Pence presidency is uncomfortably similar to supporting Trump to ensure the passage of the GOP agenda, like Paul Ryan does.

It's like, if you're worried about Trump for the same reasons you'd be worried about Ted Cruz I feel like you're missing the point.

François

Postby François » Wed May 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Right. The notion here is, no one's arguing that there's a chance Trump will be replaced by a non-shithead anytime soon. But he might be replaced by a shithead who won't nuke a Korea at random because he's mad that his dick got stuck in the coffee machine that morning.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Arpaio might be gone, but this guy's up for an assistant secretary job at DHS:

TA

Postby TA » Wed May 17, 2017 5:46 pm

pacobird wrote:
Spooky Skeleton wrote:The problem for me though is that, impeaching Trump really doesn't matter.

Get him out, get rid of this gluttonous, non-stop lying, moronic, opaquely profiteering, orange clown makeup wearing, televisionaholic who tweets at SNL like a baby for making fun of him like they have done to every President prior to him.

So what?

Hurray, Mike Pence is now president and everything will proceed as scheduled.

The problem isn't Trump, the problem is that republican voters picked him as their candidate and then the GOP ran him, and then they voted for him again because the only other choice was Hilary. The problem is that the Republicans control the senate and congress and will willingly back this imbecile while idiots in your country wear red caps, worry about their gun rights over the sick and the ill dying, claim that the police are under attack because people keep telling them to stop murdering people, and go to Berkeley to protest in favour of free speech while jabbing at people with spear tipped flag poles.

Been thinking about this, and at the risk of sounding all "both sides do it!" seeking to avoid Trump removal due to this risk of a Pence presidency is uncomfortably similar to supporting Trump to ensure the passage of the GOP agenda, like Paul Ryan does.

It's like, if you're worried about Trump for the same reasons you'd be worried about Ted Cruz I feel like you're missing the point.

I don't take it as avoiding Trump removal so much as ... an acknowledgement that we're fucked no matter what.

Take out Trump? President Pence. Great, we're getting marched into camps to get our brains electrocuted until we're straight or dead, but we get to be happy because it's mostly happening in secret, because Pence won't brag about it on Twitter.

Get 'em both? President Ryan, everybody dies starving. Loop him in too? President Hatch, who while a nightmare might be the best person on the list. President Tillerson. President Mnuchin. President Mattis. President Sessions. There's no way out.

Wait until 2018, miraculously take both chambers of Congress, take out Trump and Pence, get a Democrat in? If we even survive that long, it'd likely mean President Pelosi. Better, still nothing resembling a win.
のほも is such a good word?? the concept is kind of hard to fully get across in translation, but basically it means a feeling of pure, deep, platonic affection, and i think thats beautiful

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Douthat at NYT proposes getting rid of Trump via the 25th Amendment.

There's also a matching Brooks piece, which is scathing:

We’ve got this perverse situation in which the vast analytic powers of the entire world are being spent trying to understand a guy whose thoughts are often just six fireflies beeping randomly in a jar.

TA

Postby TA » Wed May 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Mongrel wrote:Arpaio might be gone, but this guy's up for an assistant secretary job at DHS:

So that's fun.

This guy is absolute garbage though, so he might just fit in perfectly.

のほも is such a good word?? the concept is kind of hard to fully get across in translation, but basically it means a feeling of pure, deep, platonic affection, and i think thats beautiful

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Yeah, Clarke is complete scum and basically the new Arpaio.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 17, 2017 6:13 pm

HuffPo: Mueller appointed special counsel to investigate Russian investigation

WASHINGTON ― Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller to serve as special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russian influence in the 2016 presidential election.

In a statement, Rosenstein stressed that his decision “is not a finding that crimes have been committed or that any prosecution is warranted.” But he said he’d determined “based upon the unique circumstances, the public interest requires me to place this investigation under the authority of a person who exercises a degree of independence from the normal chain of command.”

Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself in March from Russia matters after he failed to disclose during his confirmation hearing he had met with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.

Things are moving damn quickly.

I know it might be said that I post too much, but I most of the stuff ITT today has been links to actual news stories big enough for a page or two of discussion on their own. I mean, the shit is just falling thick and fast and it's not stopping.

The line about "Interesting times" I guess.

McConnell calling for a full investigation seems to have been a key moment, I think. It's possible that the congressional GOP have decided to purge Trump. If so I have to imagine they want it to happen as fast as possible so as to minimize the damage to their chances at midterms.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed May 17, 2017 6:19 pm

TA wrote:I don't take it as avoiding Trump removal so much as ... an acknowledgement that we're fucked no matter what.

Take out Trump? President Pence. Great, we're getting marched into camps to get our brains electrocuted until we're straight or dead, but we get to be happy because it's mostly happening in secret, because Pence won't brag about it on Twitter.

We were going to get a Republican administration at some point. The actual GOP agenda is wildly unpopular, which is a reason why Trump, who was happy to promise whatever and had no meaningful previous record to confirm, wiped the floor with other primary contenders who were actually shackled to these issues.

The GOP is awful but their awfulness is a known quantity. I know you're half-joking but I wonder what you think Pence would actually do about LGBT rights that Trump wouldn't?

Wait until 2018, miraculously take both chambers of Congress, take out Trump and Pence, get a Democrat in? If we even survive that long, it'd likely mean President Pelosi. Better, still nothing resembling a win.

This is uncharitable to the point of bad faith. When Andrew Fucking Cuomo pushes for free****** college in preparation for a Presidential bid, something's up.

The Democrats are being dragged Left and remarkably, encouragingly, it is not because of Trump. The backlash against the AHCA has not, I have seen, been connected in any way to Trump; it is directly entirely at Paul Ryan and the House GOP. Also, as Chomsky noted, the biggest surprise of the 2016 campaign was Bernie Sanders, who, win or lose, ended the Red Scare. We are now in a position where action groups are telling us to call Dem Reps who haven't come out in support of Medicare/aid-for-All. Was this even imaginable six months ago?