Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:47 pm

Man, even Paul Ryan is out there with a flat "That's not happening" rather than prevaricating spinelessly.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:04 pm

The thing I'm really worried about is how this is a very clear sign to racists to keep it up, show those "non-Americans" what they deserve and all. I just don't even know how we got to this point.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:11 pm

hngkong wrote:I just don't even know how we got to this point.

Hundreds of years of institutionalized racism. :/

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:06 pm

My worry here is that a lot of current birthright citizenship law interpretation rests on the Wong Kim Ark Supreme Court case, and with the current SC bench, who's to say they couldn't start carving out exceptions for any scenario that doesn't exactly match that precedent? Legislators have been attacking it around the edges as long as it's been around, and it's more been up to the courts to defend it.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:45 pm

I think it's another reason winning governorships is also very crucial for American politics. If US v. WKA is revisited, local law superceding national law is going to be increasingly important. That being said, and what I'm about to say taken with a huge grain of salt, because humanity is innately unlovable...

Based on prior decisions, I have a hard time seeing Gorsuch or Roberts going against precedent, here. Their benefactors benefit from the current status quo; the U.S. is already feeling the heat of current Republican Base-Populism. This might help at the polls, but I feel it's a distraction - and even more than that, an unplanned one from Trump, since he cannot help but say what's on his mind.

My logic is Rick Scott freezing up and walking off like he swallowed a bug. If it's too toxic for Voldemort to touch, that says a lot...
Potentially. Be prepared for anything, but don't let it overwhelm you. That's what illiberal democracies thrive on; they cannot take resilience.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:09 pm

I also shouldn't be understated exactly how far he can go to end birthright citizenship just by virtue of the fact he has ICE and Border Patrol in his pocket. They're already deporting people whe belong here legally.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Mmn, though that support isn't strong as it looks. The local BP here went from being 'rah rah, Trump's our autocrat' to a feeling of betrayal and nervousness. Although I'm rural and far from the southern border, there's a 'holding facility' (for adults, and far less odious on paper) not too far from here. Naturally, they moved some people over, and...

It's one thing to talk the talk. Walking the walk - and facing disgust in a very red zone for it - can make it a lot less appealing. And they've been facing a lot of disgust.
Similarly...

And that's in cases where it might make a significant difference.

More usefully, these folk have been doing good work.

Edit'd, article is politco, no paywall! Link is to a border rights organisation. Since the thread title is 'oh shit, what are we gonna do now' I want to keep focus on what can be done.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Dude just wants to see if he can change a Constitutional amendment with an executive order.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:00 am

Heh, I often think dude just can't help but say what's on his mind. Having a mouth/anus hybrid is like that, after all... Can't control the flow.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:58 am

He keeps mentioning that 'they' tell him that's a thing you can actually do, which tells you a lot about who's trying to do what in his circle.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and throw out a blatantly sexist remark and ask "Man, is Kellyanne Conway going as Emperor Palpatine for Halloween?"

Steven Miller's looking like who ever he sold his soul to has already claimed it too. Yikes.

(No but really she looks ghastly without regard to gender.)

(seriously look at those absolutely dead fucking eyes... Jesus Christ. This image is the scariest thing I've seen all week.)

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:21 pm

Mongrel wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and throw out a blatantly sexist remark and ask "Man, is Kellyanne Conway going as Emperor Palpatine for Halloween?"

Hey, no gender- nominally, at least- should have a monopoly on anything, including ghoulish faces.

Mongrel wrote:Steven Miller's looking like who ever he sold his soul to has already claimed it too. Yikes.
(seriously look at those absolutely dead fucking eyes... Jesus Christ. This image is the scariest thing I've seen all week.)

I'm not sure if they still do it, but for a while Seth Meyers had thunder and lightning any time they mentioned his name or showed his picture. Even Nosferatu is like "Damn, cuz! Maybe tone it down a little?"
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

François

Postby François » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:48 pm

Kansas militia men blame Trump rhetoric for mosque attack plan

Three Kansas militia members who were convicted of plotting to bomb the mosque and homes of Somali immigrants should be granted leniency in their sentencing because they were inspired by President Donald Trump’s rhetoric encouraging violence, lawyers for the men said in court documents.

(...)

“As long as the Executive Branch condemns Islam and commends and encourages violence against would-be enemies, then a sentence imposed by the Judicial Branch does little to deter people generally from engaging in such conduct if they believe they are protecting their countries from enemies identified by their own Commander-in-Chief,” they wrote in a sentencing memorandum for Wright.

THE PRESIDENT MADE ME DO IT

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Yoji wrote:
Mongrel wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and throw out a blatantly sexist remark and ask "Man, is Kellyanne Conway going as Emperor Palpatine for Halloween?"

Hey, no gender- nominally, at least- should have a monopoly on anything, including ghoulish faces.

Mongrel wrote:Steven Miller's looking like who ever he sold his soul to has already claimed it too. Yikes.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but for a while Seth Meyers had thunder and lightning any time they mentioned his name or showed his picture. Even Nosferatu is like "Damn, cuz! Maybe tone it down a little?"

When I posted that on my twitter I referred to Miller as "the husk left behind after the Devil claims the soul of a man who'd bartered with him."

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:07 pm

Mongrel wrote:Man, even Paul Ryan is out there with a flat "That's not happening" rather than prevaricating spinelessly.

I was just reading back and I saw this. Paul Ryan is from my state, he absolutely wasn't saying "That's not happening." He was saying that Lindsey Graham was going to put forth actual legislation to change the constitution because an executive order probably isn't legal. He also said he supported that legislation.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 pm

Joxam wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Man, even Paul Ryan is out there with a flat "That's not happening" rather than prevaricating spinelessly.

I was just reading back and I saw this. Paul Ryan is from my state, he absolutely wasn't saying "That's not happening." He was saying that Lindsey Graham was going to put forth actual legislation to change the constitution because an executive order probably isn't legal. He also said he supported that legislation.

Ah. I saw that quote in a story when this was breaking yesterday (forget where, might've been the Globe). Not really surprising if that turned out to be incorrect and Ryan's just carrying oozing on as the same slimebag he always is.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:10 pm

You can't-- you can't legislate a change to the constitution.

It's a massively convoluted and difficult process involving every state in the union.

You-- you can't do that. Someone's going to stop them, right?

...right?

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:28 pm

nosimpleway wrote:You can't-- you can't legislate a change to the constitution.

It's a massively convoluted and difficult process involving every state in the union.

...right?

No. Sadly, no. We all know it, we just don't want to admit it.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:29 pm

nosimpleway wrote:You can't-- you can't legislate a change to the constitution.

...right?

Trump Claims He Can Overrule Constitution With Executive Order Because Of Little-Known ‘No One Will Stop Me’ Loophole (The Onion)

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:03 am

There is no someone, to come and save us. The only person who'll ever rescue you is yourself.

And our first salvo will be upon us soon. I do not have high hopes, but - we'll see.
Just know that there'll be plenty of time to worry when we're gone, and now's the time to mix it up and bring in every favour you're owed.
Or, if you're not an extrovert, I know every single campaign in my area is always taking in volunteers - in the off-season, too.

Find a campaign in your area. Get involved. In a district that's already stoked? Swingleft or sisterdistricts offer good ways to contribute time, money, or data, depending on your skillsets and availability.

If we lose, do not give up; and if we win, do not stop fighting.