Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm

Evanier suggests that, now that Time has gotten into the habit of giving PotY to vague, amorphous groups of people instead of individuals, this year it should go to women who have reported sexual misconduct.

Under the classic rules -- the most important and influential person in the world, for good or bad --, yeah, it would be Trump again. But we haven't been operating on those rules since the backlash when they picked the Ayatollah in 1979 (bin Laden was certainly the PotY in 2001 under the original criteria, but if they'd put him on the cover there would have been fucking riots), and anyway they picked "the American fighting-man" all the way back in 1950. So, given that previous inductees include The Computer, The Endangered Earth, The Whistleblowers, The American Soldier (again!), The Good Samaritans, me, The Protester, and Ebola Fighters, yes, "the #metoo movement" (or some variation thereupon) is absolutely a valid recipient.

Or they could just give it to Putin again. Man that'd piss Trump off.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:13 pm

If they still give it to an individual, it could be Weinstein.

But that's not only kind of gross, it misses the point that it's the #metoo campaign that's actually doing something genuinely new and impressive.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Thad wrote:Or they could just give it to PutinObama again. Man that'd piss Trump off.

François

Postby François » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Person of the year: every real or fictional human being in the history of the universe, living or dead, past, present and future, except Donald Trump

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 pm

François wrote:Person of the year: every real or fictional human being in the history of the universe, living or dead, past, present and future, except Donald Trump

This would be the best troll.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Okay, so, Twitter has been all abuzz about this Time magazine thing since Friday? Can't get enough of jokes about it? All anyone's talking about? Last eight comments in this thread are all that?

Immediately before was
Mongrel wrote:Flynn has withdrawn from the joint legal defence agreement with Trump.

Cmon.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:52 pm

TA wrote:Okay, so, Twitter has been all abuzz about this Time magazine thing since Friday? Can't get enough of jokes about it? All anyone's talking about? Last eight comments in this thread are all that?

Immediately before was
Mongrel wrote:Flynn has withdrawn from the joint legal defence agreement with Trump.

Cmon.

I think the import of that is pretty clear, but not certain and there's been no further news since. I guess we can speculate about it, but I'm not sure how useful that will be until we either get something more blatant or Trump starts doing crazy "preventative damage control" as only Trump can.

Also that story's wasn't really a surprise, not since the news broke that Mueller had not just Flynn, but Flynn's son by the balls.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:57 pm

As for fresh news, well...

Hoo boy.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:43 am

TA wrote:Okay, so, Twitter has been all abuzz about this Time magazine thing since Friday? Can't get enough of jokes about it? All anyone's talking about? Last eight comments in this thread are all that?

Immediately before was

Cmon.

If you've got some insights you'd like to contribute on the subject of Flynn and the Mueller investigation, you are welcome to share.

If you're just here to complain about other people's inconsequential posts while saying nothing of any consequence yourself, well, I hope the irony's not lost on you.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:33 am

Mongrel wrote:I think the import of that is pretty clear, but not certain and there's been no further news since. I guess we can speculate about it, but I'm not sure how useful that will be until we either get something more blatant or Trump starts doing crazy "preventative damage control" as only Trump can.

Also that story's wasn't really a surprise, not since the news broke that Mueller had not just Flynn, but Flynn's son by the balls.

Right. Of course it's big news, but there's not much else to talk about until the next shoe drops.

Mongrel wrote:As for fresh news, well... Hoo boy.

Just making sure I'm reading right (it's late, it's been a long day, and my legalese sucks), but someone wants to block Mulvaney from heading the organization he wants to murder?

More via Wonkette: Yeah, they want to install a wolf to guard the sheep. Also too:
The Intercept reports that Richard Engel, the lawyer who drafted the White House legal memorandum in support of Mulvaney’s right to assume the post at CFPB, just so happens to have been a lawyer for a Canadian payday lender. And this payday lender, NDG Financial Corp., just so happens to have been cited by the CFPB for illegally collecting payments from American citizens. So until August of 2017, Engel was doing battle with the CFPB on behalf of a rapacious bank, and now he offers his unbiased legal opinion that Mulvaney can go in there and gut the agency.

Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 am

Not sure. As far as I can tell it's a retraining order against Mulvaney and Trump. No reason is given in that image... but the assistant head is a woman, so I'm not sure a purely political "power grab" is the reason here.

I'm sure there'll be details in the news soon.

EDIT: WaPo: okay, it's just the political battle for control of the agency

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:37 pm

CBC: Trump makes "Pocahontas joke" during ceremony to honour Navajo veterans.

"They all look like the same to me... you know? like that cartoon character?"

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Mongrel wrote:CBC: Trump makes "Pocahontas joke" during ceremony to honour Navajo veterans.

"They all look like the same to me... you know? like that cartoon character?"

In front of a picture of Andrew Johnson, known for his smash hit Trail of Tears.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Jackson. Johnson was the first president to get impeached, but it was for firing a guy on his cabinet who had tenure, rather than genocide.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:03 am

In one battle during the indian wars Jackson had his men make bridles out of the skin of dead Natives.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 am

I suspect a not-insignificant number of Trump supporters would love to make, say, steering wheel covers from the skins of one ethnic group or another...

atog

Postby atog » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:31 am

Trump is on track to complete the Old Hickory Trifecta
Destroy Black people Nailed it. Sieg Heil!
Destroy Native Americans Done! Let's frack, pipe, and shit right in Lake Oahe and let megacorps eminent domain large tracts of reserve lands, defund indigenous health initiatives and culture/arts funding, call people Pocahontas etc
[ ]Destroy the Fed and mandate a return to the gold standard/feudalism - Working on it!
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

atog

Postby atog » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm

ebwop:

1540-1940: Navajos and Pueblo peoples flogged, caned, and otherwise abused for using their own languages in earshot of Catholic and residential school staff. Mouths burned with lye or chilis; sometimes gagged for hours or days
1940--: "Oh hey, those dirty Nips broke our ciphers yet again. Also, who can we con into being radiomen on a hotly contested and almost inaccessible Pacific island that could be recaptured by Japan at any time? (Intel and radio officers were top of the list when it came to torture and extraction of intel.) I've got it, we have all these scraggly Injun volunteers, let's see how the yellow rats fare against our very own authentic frontier gibberish!"
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:04 pm

"2017: And you thought 2016 was bad!"