Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

beatbandito

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 am

What's crazy is the jacket caught so much attention that no one even noticed the shirt.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 pm

François wrote:Either it's what she really thinks, or she's trying to flip the bird at her husband. Or both?

Watch out next week as she wears a new jacket that says "let them eat cake", with a spokesperson later going "cake is delicious, I don't understand why all the libtards have a problem here".

There's a third option, that living in the Trump White House is just plain making her lose her mind.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:29 pm

For our non-Canadians, here's a sample of what the semi-daily Trump trade war stories look like: Trump criticizes Canada, then says he doesn’t understand what he just read. (via The Star)

Speaking at a rally in Fargo, North Dakota on Wednesday might, Trump took a break from his usual improvisation to read out a note card he said he had been given. It was a complaint about Canada’s wheat practices. Immediately after reading the note, the president declared that he had no idea what he was talking about.

“John and Kevin gave me something, they told me this,” he said, likely referring to North Dakota Sen. John Hoeven and Rep. Kevin Cramer. Beginning to read, he said, “Canadian wheat markets consistently discriminate against the United States’s wheat by grading it as feed.”

He then pointed quizzically at the audience.

“Do you know what that means? They know what it means,” he said, pointing behind him. “I don’t know what the hell it means. I just know it’s a bad deal. What the hell does that mean?”

He threw the note card up in the air dismissively, letting it fall to the ground. Then he cast a long look behind him, an irritated expression on his face.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:34 pm

We live in a cartoon

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Canada stop grading our wheat on a curve it's not fair

what the fuck does that mean?

Does anyone know what that means

stop putting tariffs on milk. we fought in world war 2. true. but you are taking advantage of our milk.

we need to play poker for longer - some of the women can tell you.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Actual real-life Donald Trump quote (Yesterday? Not sure but it was this past week):

I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record.

Because you know, look, I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records.

Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Whaaaaaat the fuck.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Welp. Just came back from a visiting my Mum, who is adrift in time as she gradually succumbs to Alzheimer's, and she made a fuckload more sense than that for every moment of the day.

François

Postby François » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Dang. Did Obama sound to Trump voters the way Trump sounds to us? That would explain a lot, but...

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Was the plan always to hand the reins over to the guy from the end of Restaurant at the End of the Universe? Someone only vaguely aware that he's in charge of things? If so, we got it as backwards as possible; that guy actually was pretty sharp but refused to acknowledge his supposed importance.

Now, if Trump were actually Zaphod Beeblebrox, he'd be PERFECT, but the problem with the American style of government versus most of the rest of the world is that we actually take our single head of state pretty seriously for some reason.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 pm

François wrote:Dang. Did Obama sound to Trump voters the way Trump sounds to us? That would explain a lot, but...

I think the better question is, does Trump sound to them the way Obama sounds to us?

There are people who legitimately believe that he is a smart man. There are a whole lot of things in the Trump voter mindset that I am completely unable to wrap my head around; that is...well, one of them.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 am

Don't underestimate emotional intelligence. Donald The Trump doesn't understand a lot of things but he understands how to get in good with the "right" people; the fact that he entirely planned and succeeded in taking over the country by losing the popular vote is proof of that. The folks who think he's an intelligent man tend to be the ones who put a heavy emphasis on that sort of talent, and also understand that being too "book smart" is an impediment in that regard. You know, like that Dijon-eating geek who didn't understand his station.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 am

Nobody is even listening. He's white, he's male, he's owning the libs. That's what's important.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:59 am

zaratustra wrote:Nobody is even listening. He's white, he's male, he's owning the libs. That's what's important.

*points at the Elton John rant*

If any other president went on like that, I'd be damned if they didn't call in the white coats.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 am

zaratustra wrote:Nobody is even listening. He's white, he's male, he's owning the libs. That's what's important.

This is definitely closest to what it is. We're at a point where information is both so available and malleable that rather than actually figure out who knows what they're talking about it's a lot easier to just assume the person making the sickest burns does.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Yoji wrote:

*points at the Elton John rant*

If any other president went on like that, I'd be damned if they didn't call in the white coats.

Yesterday I was thinking "Can you imagine what the reaction would be if a president in the 50's or 60's said this? From either party?"

I mean, it would at least be NEWS. People would at least be TALKING about it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Brentai wrote:Don't underestimate emotional intelligence. Donald The Trump doesn't understand a lot of things but he understands how to get in good with the "right" people; the fact that he entirely planned and succeeded in taking over the country by losing the popular vote is proof of that.

I get your point, but I don't think he planned to win at all. He certainly didn't plan to lose the popular vote.

He figured out what lines got him applause at rallies. That is a skill, and one that has clearly served him well, but I wouldn't describe it as planning.

As for whether it's emotional intelligence, that's debatable. On the one hand, he's certainly recognized emotional reactions and used them effectively, which matches the basic definition of EI. On the other, EI is typically associated with empathy, which is not a word I would use to describe Donald Trump.

The folks who think he's an intelligent man tend to be the ones who put a heavy emphasis on that sort of talent, and also understand that being too "book smart" is an impediment in that regard. You know, like that Dijon-eating geek who didn't understand his station.

No, I'm talking about people who believe that Trump is more book-smart than Obama. And seem to hold that belief legitimately, not just claim to believe it in order to piss off the libs.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Meanwhile, yup, Kavanaugh's about exactly what you'd expect. I don't have the heart for any kind of in-depth analysis. Is 11:45 AM on a Wednesday too early to start drinking? What if it's the last day of my vacation?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Thad wrote:I don't have the heart for any kind of in-depth analysis.

I didn't even have the heart to read the articles. I had to get Starr to give me the Coles' Notes version (of course it's bad).

atog

Postby atog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Thad wrote:
Brentai wrote:Don't underestimate emotional intelligence. Donald The Trump doesn't understand a lot of things but he understands how to get in good with the "right" people; the fact that he entirely planned and succeeded in taking over the country by losing the popular vote is proof of that.

I get your point, but I don't think he planned to win at all. He certainly didn't plan to lose the popular vote.

He figured out what lines got him applause at rallies. That is a skill, and one that has clearly served him well, but I wouldn't describe it as planning.

As for whether it's emotional intelligence, that's debatable. On the one hand, he's certainly recognized emotional reactions and used them effectively, which matches the basic definition of EI. On the other, EI is typically associated with empathy, which is not a word I would use to describe Donald Trump.

The folks who think he's an intelligent man tend to be the ones who put a heavy emphasis on that sort of talent, and also understand that being too "book smart" is an impediment in that regard. You know, like that Dijon-eating geek who didn't understand his station.

No, I'm talking about people who believe that Trump is more book-smart than Obama. And seem to hold that belief legitimately, not just claim to believe it in order to piss off the libs.

The most successful (and dangerous) sociopaths are the ones who are exquisitely attuned to what other people feel/think - and manipulate that effectively.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole