Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Yoji

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Yoji » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:44 am

"Look at how poorly this patient is doing," he says as he stands on their oxygen tube.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:51 am

I refuse to go back a page to remember what Trump policy that's an analogy for, because it works for at least three.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 pm

NYT: Rex Tillerson and the unravelling of the State Department

Finally, with only a few days until the inauguration and still no word from Tillerson, one of the senior officials, Victoria Nuland — who once was Hillary Clinton’s State Department spokeswoman but had also been a foreign-policy adviser to Vice President Dick Cheney and was at the time the assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs — opted to retire. The others chose to make a go of it. On the Monday after the inauguration, they showed up for work, as usual, at Foggy Bottom.

Two days later, Kennedy was told to retire and given three days to clean out his office. Kennedy had spent 44 years in the Foreign Service and was not particularly political, focusing instead on management and operations; he’d been appointed to his under-secretary position by President George W. Bush. But he had become a central figure in conservative conspiracy theories about Benghazi and Clinton’s private email server. Tillerson aides later joked that Kennedy’s defenestration was like something out of the Soviet Union, dragging a political foe out into the street and shooting him in the head so as to send a message to others.

A few weeks later, Kenney, who as counselor was the State Department’s No. 5 policy official, was told that her services were no longer needed, and she retired. And in the weeks after that, half a dozen other top diplomats were shown the door — fired, forced into retirement or warehoused at a university fellowship. “If you took the entire three-star and four-star corps of the military and said, ‘Leave!’ Congress would go crazy,” one of the recently departed said.

When I recently met with Hook in his seventh-floor office at the State Department, he seemed wary of any implication that, in light of his establishment pedigree and association with Cohen and Edelman, he wasn’t sufficiently pro-Trump. I noted that on his conference table he had a book by Daniel W. Drezner, an international-politics professor at Tufts University who writes regularly for The Washington Post website and is a frequent critic of Trump and of Tillerson. In fact, just that morning, Drezner had published a column calling on Tillerson to resign. I jokingly told Hook that he might want to hide the book. Instead, R.C. Hammond, Tillerson’s communications director, who was sitting in on the interview, immediately seized it.

“This is the guy who has the thing at The Post?” Hammond asked Hook. “Where’s your trash can?” He made as if he was going to throw the book across Hook’s office. Hook raised his hand to block Hammond.

“No!” Hook said. “It’s a book on policy planning! This was written before Rex Tillerson was even considered.”

“Trash can,” Hammond reiterated. Hook kept his hand up. The fifth of Bombay gin and the liter bottle of tonic water on his desk suddenly made more sense.

But even if Tillerson leaves, the fear among many in the State Department is that the hangover from his tenure will be long-lasting. The Foreign Service officer recalls a recent meeting of acting assistant secretaries, where the most pressing matters discussed were the backlog of Freedom of Information Act requests and the number of typographical errors in memos to the secretary’s office. “The world is going to hell in a handbasket,” the Foreign Service officer fumed, “and the greatest minds in our diplomatic service are talking about FOIA requests and [expletive] typos.”

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:41 pm

CNN enjoys biting back, I see.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:55 am

He's gonna run, isn't he.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:36 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 am

The Hill: Small (as in, they had only two full-time employees before Maria) company from Trump Interior chief's hometown wins massive contract to restore Puerto Rico's power

A former senior official at the Energy Department and state regulatory agencies said it was "odd" that Whitefish Energy would be chosen.

“The fact that there are so many utilities with experience in this and a huge track record of helping each other out, it is at least odd why [the utility] would go to Whitefish,” Susan Tierney said.

“I’m scratching my head wondering how it all adds up.”

HMMMM... SUCH A MYSTERY. I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 pm

The best part is that Sanders is more popular than Clinton among Clinton voters.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:39 pm

We all knew this was happening, but now there's a video out, the public will have to put aside their denial for a whole couple of days before everyone forgets again.

NYT: ICE agents in plainclothes illegally entered a private home, refused to identify themselves, then took a man away to be detained indefinitely, without a warrant or charge or any form of legal protection.

Why? 'Cause I said so, that's why.

Oh and also apparently ICE are refusing to show ID or identify themselves to even local law enforcement so they might actually get themselves shot. God knows if there weren't already crooks planning to impersonate ICE agents, there sure are now.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Yeah, that sounds like clear-cut justifiable self-defense.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:21 am

Do not compound your crimes further, citizen - there is no "self-defence" from the secret police! After all, if you weren't guilty, we wouldn't be here in the first place.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:23 am

I mean jokes aside, yeah, the US pretty much has a gestapo now.

Only no one cares 'cos it's only for brown people!

YEAHHHHHH! *Jazz hands*

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:36 am

Meanwhile people are cheering Jeff Flake's "brave" speech, yet he still voted for this horseshit:

(So did McCain and other Republicans who stood up on health care - the two GOP votes against were John Kennedy and... Lindsey Graham?)

Wheeee Republicans!

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:49 am

I guess purging everyone left of the center-right from the party leadership and adopting the most corporatist platform the DNC's ever seen left him out of balance, because Tom Perez finally, once, for the very first time, did something even vaguely good, about Flake.

And of course, the rest of the neolibs are tearing him and the DNC to shit for it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 am

I like the phrase one of the non-insane comments used to describe this sort of thing: "civility chicken".

Things are so fucking crazy these days, someone could tell me that fucking witchcraft trials were currently underway in two dozen US states and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I mean, I saw this:

...and I was like... oh man, haha, you have no idea. You do not want to know just how far down this thing can go.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 am

Every time we think we're at the bottom of this cave of insanity, the floor gives way and six miners fall screaming into yet another black chamber.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 am

To our resident lawyers: anything interesting in it?

I gave it a quick scan, but American government subcontractor contracts are not exactly my area of expertise, so I have no idea where I should look for anything particularly suspect or egregious.