Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

beatbandito

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby beatbandito » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:44 pm

A crass way of thinking about it is, will the older generation blocking climate action die before it's too late for said action?

David Koch died the other week. Charles isn't going to live forever. I don't know anything about the next generation of Kochs; maybe they're just as evil and just as effective. But maybe they'll have a different idea of what's in their own self-interest.

Obviously "hope Charles Koch's son isn't a complete piece of shit" is not an effective strategy for the future. We're gonna have to, you know, actually do stuff. But one of the things we need to do is marginalize the people who are stonewalling progress, and a bunch of them dying of old age should hopefully help with that.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:53 pm

Yeah, I maintain the following two things now and forever:

1. There's a serious world-threatening problem going on right now, and if you think that's just doomsaying, you're an idiot.

2. The future is overwhelmingly liberal. We are more liberal and environmentally conscious as a generation than any generation before us, worldwide. Our kids even more so.

So, yeah. It's crass, but you're not wrong. The Boomers have to fucking die.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Sorry, that sounds like I'm generation-pointing. I kind of am, and I do love to rag on the Boomers (mostly because of their ridiculous "millennials are killing" articles) but they're just people and honestly a large chunk of them are non-racists on our side or at least benign.

But their way of life is over.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Also don't underestimate the ability for people to become assholes or sell others out as they get "Their share".

Like arterial plaques and incontinence, it's just one of those things that happen to some people as they get older. Focusing excessively on the Boomers avoid talking about failures of leadership in newer generations. *Looks askance at both Trudeau and Scheer*

As I've often said to a friend in Oz, "Some people are perfectly fine with everything crashing down in ruins, just so long as they get the biggest chunk of the rubble".

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:16 pm

As a poet once said, Consequences schmonsequences, so long as I'm rich.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:52 pm

Some commentators are saying Trump and Erdogan are sticking to their original deal and that this is nothing more than a deliberate phony issued by the WH to distract domestic critics.

BUT... I MEAN... EVEN SO!

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 pm

I don't know why you'd even question it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Perry has announced his resignation after weeks of denials.

Who do you suppose is next, Mulvaney or Giuliani? I'm thinking it's gotta be Mulvaney.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:28 pm

I refuse to believe Giuliani will ever cease being in the public spotlight or even die, so yeah, Mulvaney.

You know that scene where Smithers shoots the Richard Simmons robot and it regenerates like the T-1000? Like that, but Giuliani wouldn't regenerate. He'd just continue to spout insane bullshit and propaganda on TV with a huge fucking gore-dripping hole through his head.
ImageImageImage

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Friday wrote:He'd just continue to spout insane bullshit and propaganda on TV with a huge fucking gore-dripping hole through his head.
I'm pretty sure there's at least one SCP that did something like that.

Also, this must be episode 13,056 of Could You Imagine if Anything Like This Happened on Obama's Watch?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:01 pm

When a redhat gets morally outraged it just means they're angry that they're losing at their favorite game.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Friday wrote:I refuse to believe Giuliani will ever cease being in the public spotlight or even die, so yeah, Mulvaney.

You know that scene where Smithers shoots the Richard Simmons robot and it regenerates like the T-1000? Like that, but Giuliani wouldn't regenerate. He'd just continue to spout insane bullshit and propaganda on TV with a huge fucking gore-dripping hole through his head.

Oh, I'm not suggesting Giuliani will go away. Just that we're about two weeks away from Trump insisting he barely even met the guy.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:46 pm

I thought that already happened.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:29 pm

No, we're only up to "I don't know if he's still my lawyer, but he's a very good lawyer" at this point.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:52 pm

First the article says they were stranded, then it says the buses never showed up to take them to DC in the first place. Which is it?

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Stranded in the sense that they had no way to get to where they wanted to go, I guess.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:45 am

The buses never showed in their home states in the first place. Not only did the organisation attempt to pay with an invalid card, (it processed successfully for one bus and declined all other payments) they did this "at 3 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon, just hours before the first bus had to leave at 11:30"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-coachw ... -for-trump

I wonder if this was their intended outcome. The Facebook arguments will probably do more to rally the base than the actual rally would have.

"The Daily Beast couldn’t reach the rally organizer who attempted to book the buses for comment."

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:40 am

Friday wrote:Yeah, I maintain the following two things now and forever:

1. There's a serious world-threatening problem going on right now, and if you think that's just doomsaying, you're an idiot.

2. The future is overwhelmingly liberal. We are more liberal and environmentally conscious as a generation than any generation before us, worldwide. Our kids even more so.

So, yeah. It's crass, but you're not wrong. The Boomers have to fucking die.

"Once these old reactionary fucks are all dead we can start building a just and equitable world"

-some guy in 1971, probably