Pros and Cons of Punching a Nazi Just Square in the Dick

Grath

Re: Pros and Cons of Punching a Nazi Just Square in the Dick

Postby Grath » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Why is nobody in this mentioning that the bible advocates for slaver- oh right, none of them has actually read the bible.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Mongrel wrote:The Aztecs is what kills me, it seems so random. OH AND THE AZTECS.

Look, Tucker Calson has always said, "If it's good enough for Montezuma it's good enough for the USA."

But really, hasn't enough been done to the Aztecs and the other native americans? Do we really have to drag them into a Fox news report in 2017, the sole purpose of which is to reassure white people that blacks don't have it as bad as they complain about?

I mean, there was the trail of tears already, Matt.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Spooky Skeleton wrote:
Mongrel wrote:The Aztecs is what kills me, it seems so random. OH AND THE AZTECS.

Look, Tucker Calson has always said, "If it's good enough for Montezuma it's good enough for the USA."

I can't wait for Fox News to start reassuring us about the live human sacrifices.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm

"Sure, President for His Eternal UnLife Trump is biting and draining the blood of 1,000 young virgins per day, trapping their souls in eternal torment as his essence feeds on their trapped lifeforce, but BLM once stopped a car on the highway."

"We go now live to our featured debate of the day: Is it acceptable to murder anyone who thinks badly of this show? We'll debate it next, but yes, yes it is."
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:19 am

...you know, it's been a pretty rough few days but this thread is making me laugh about it. Thanks, guys.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 am

Adding: I feel like this is a big deal. Granted, I've felt like that so many times before, and yet Fox News, Ryan, and McConnell continue to dance their usual dance. Maybe nothing changes, again.

But I'm seeing headlines like Trump’s lack of discipline leaves new chief of staff frustrated and dismayed and I feel like damn it, something has to happen.

I feel like the odds of Trump being removed under the 25th Amendment's competence standard are going up, and may have passed the odds of him being removed by impeachment. That's counterintuitive (because the 25th requires more congressional votes than impeachment), but he seems to be systematically alienating his cabinet, even the most loyal (Sessions). If a majority of the cabinet (including Pence) actually votes against him, I think that's going to make it a lot easier for Republicans to vote with them. I don't think Ryan or McConnell will make the first move, but if Pence does, all bets are off. (And speaking of bets, seriously, keep an eye on the betting odds for Trump being removed under the 25th. If they go up, well, that doesn't mean it's going to happen, but it at least means a lot of people are thinking along the same lines I am.)

Or nothing changes except that Trump continues to look worse and worse in the eyes of the public, and becomes worse and worse at actually achieving anything. I'm okay with that, too, though shit could get pretty dire if he really starts to throw his weight around on the things he has control over (say, vetoing a budget, or the next vote to increase the debt ceiling).

I don't think things are going to get better for Trump, or the alt-right, from here (indeed, the most concrete thing that's happened since Charlottesville is a lot more Confederate monuments have been taken down). There are people who are so committed to their side that they'll do the mental gymnastics required to keep insisting things aren't so bad, but that comes with some serious fucking cognitive dissonance, and most people do not want to be on the same side as Nazis.

Maybe this is a turning point. Or maybe it's just another brick in the wall. But I don't see any way Trump emerges from this stronger or more popular than before.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 am

Thad wrote:There are people who are so committed to their side that they'll do the mental gymnastics required to keep insisting things aren't so bad, but that comes with some serious fucking cognitive dissonance, and most people do not want to be on the same side as Nazis

The chef who works immediately behind me in the office I work in listens to conservative talk radio all day. Did you know that slavery is actually a very smart, capitalist economic choice? Did you know that Nazis are actually the extremist left? Did you know that Black Lives Matter and the Alt-Right are virtually identical?

Resisting the urge to Start Shit At Work all day is exhausting.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am

I hear all the same shit at my work too.

Plus New World Order bullshit, Mind Control bullshit, Chemtrails bullshit...

I've been yelling at him to turn the shit down.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am

Even his base is shrinking, though; people seem to be sliding from "strongly approve" to "somewhat approve". And it's unlikely that we'll ever see those numbers start moving the other way.

(It's possible that a horrific event -- a terrorist attack, a war, etc. -- could get people to start circling the wagons; there's plenty of historical precedent for that. But first of all, I sincerely hope neither of those things happens, and second, there's no guarantee that they'd help Trump's popularity; they might actually hurt him.)

That article's from May, and his numbers haven't gotten any better. While it's worth remembering how unreliable polls were last year, it's also worth remembering that even if the numbers themselves were off, the trend lines were accurate.

There are people who will never abandon Trump. We saw some of them marching in Charlottesville last weekend. (One of whom won't be voting for Trump, or anyone else, again, because he'll be a convicted felon.) But I think this Nazi business is going to stretch the credulity of even some of his enthusiastic supporters.

But hell, who knows? Guess we'll see.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:55 am

Maybe this is all just a long-form plan to make institutional racists start claiming to be outright Nazis so they can be tried for war crimes.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:24 pm

What I love is this constantly presented idea that these statues are important, beautiful symbols of history and that people on the left are being unreasonable and basically kicking the brave losers of the war of Northern Aggression while they are down; it's all a shameful display of the tyranny of progressivism run amok.

All I needed to see was that black woman in the Vice Charlotteville video talk about how in largely liberal, largely black Charlotteville, that statue was basically just "Massa up on his horse, looking down on us from the hill." to be 100% resolute in my support of the taking down of that fucking statue.

But it gets even worse. Oxi told me the actual history of the one in Durham that was taken down by that mob. Like many (all?) of these Confederate honouring statues, it was put up in the Jim Crow era after the failure of reconstruction to basically remind everyone of who was still in charge of the South. That's the thing, everyone acts like the North won the civil war, and they did, but they did in the same sense that America won the Iraq war.

Take down these fucking statues and don't stop until they are all gone.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Yeah, the south would not have dared to raise such statues in the immediate wake of the Civil War. It was the 1910's and 20's when the KKK was in resurgence and The Lost Cause narrative was in its peak years that those things went up.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Most of this shit was put up in the 1960s as a response to the Civil Rights movement and the attempts to end segregation in the South. Same with the confederate flag, same with the daughters of the confederacy.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:51 pm

There were a couple of waves, yeah.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Yeah, we're seemingly IN ONE now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Speaking of what should replace Confederate monuments...

This whole Twitter thread is amazing. Some of these monuments are incredible.

Basically, a black American journalist visited the Caribbean recently and noticed how they have prominently displayed memorials commemorating the end of slavery or of major slave revolts. It made him realize how amazing it is that there's virtually nothing like this in the US. Then others started chiming in with more pictures from the Caribbean, from Latin America, even from Africa (the monument in Dakar is frikkin beautiful, not to mention ENORMOUS (although perhaps a little macho)) of monuments condemning slavery and celebrating liberty.

Of course they all understand very well why such monuments don't exist in the US (here are some samples of the pitiful lip-service ones which do exist), but Americans in the thread, both black and white, are amazed to realize they never even noticed that something so important was so absent (one notable exception is the Freedman's Memorial in Dallas).

Many of these statues are incredibly beautiful and almost all are powerful. Beyond just removing stodgy monuments to traitors and slavemasters, It would be amazing to see them replaced by works like these.

EDIT: Wrong tweet.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 pm

I suppose it depends on if you consider the Lincoln Memorial an end-of-slavery commemoration or not. Yeah okay it's still a statue of a white guy, but most people aren't very confused about why he gets a huge prominent monument right there in the capitol.

Most people.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

I think nearly everybody agrees that Lincoln deserves a monument of that stature, but the point is that US monuments either show blacks as helpless or not at all.

There's room for more than just that one memorial. Especially on some recently-cleared pedestals in the South.

INCIDENTALLY, apparently Virginia is now taking suggestions to rename the Jeff Davis highway. I am reminded of a running gag an American friend of mine has that the federal government should build a highway from Atlanta to the coast and name it "The William T. Sherman Memorial Highway".

:trollface:

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:56 pm

The good news is -- and the racists don't seem to have figured this out yet -- that the more racists show up to protest the removal of traitor flags and statues, and the more violent they get, the more traitor flags and statues get taken down.

If they'd kept their dumb fucking mouths shut, a few statues would have gotten taken down. But now a lot more are going to be, because they just reminded everybody that oh yeah, this shit's not about heritage, it's about fucking violent racists.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:22 pm

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ville.html

Everyone should read this, and link it to as many people as possible. I haven't read anything even remotely like this, interviewing people on the ground at Charlottesville. The equation of Antifa and BLM with actual neonazis by the president himself is something that needs to be overtly called out and opposed.