GOP Will Shit Itself

Thad

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:51 pm

McConnell purposes a straight repeal; it immediately collapses. Like, maybe you should have checked with your caucus to see if you had the votes before you announced it, Mitch?

Though, TBF, you can hardly blame the guy for expecting 2 senators who voted against the ACA's passage, and voted in favor of this exact repeal bill the last time it was up, would vote for it again.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Straight repeal is such an incredibly, spectacularly shitty idea. Like, Obamacare isn't collapsing like they desperately need it to, so they're thinking of just forcibly destroying it and making everyone so desperate for anything that they'll ACCEPT anything.

The GOP cannot do anything to break shit and complain.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Schumer seems to be coming out of this looking pretty good. "Hey guys, we agree that the ACA's got problems; why don't you come over here and we can work on some legislation to fix them, together?" is exactly the right tone to strike right now.

I suspect the Republicans will just change the subject at this point. It's really their only option left. Aside from governing.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Thad wrote:Aside from governing.

Perish the thought!

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 pm

They can still do plenty to cause Obamacare to implode just through negligence in every single way the law will let them get away with. The old trick of run it badly, then use that to justify getting rid of it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Trump has actually already said that the new plan is to "Let Obamacare fail".

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Sure, but it still doesn't solve their problem, which is that they don't have any alternative. (They say they do, sure, but it turns out that an overwhelming majority of Americans does not consider "gut Medicaid and cut taxes for the rich" to be an actual alternative.)

I wouldn't put it past them to intentionally mismanage, destabilize, and sabotage the ACA. But that's not going to increase public support for their "gut Medicaid and cut taxes for the rich" solution (and even if it did, if they doubled its public support that would put it at 24%), it's going to increase the demand for a bipartisan bill to shore up the ACA's weaknesses.

Their best shot (again, assuming that "actual governance" was not an option) was doing what the House did and ramming a bill through before the public had time to find out how bad it was. That option is gone.

I'm not saying we should count them out; I anticipate years of fuckery to come, and we need to call them on it when it happens. But the odds of actual repeal are vanishingly small, and I don't think making the ACA market worse is going to change that.

McConnell is still planning on having a repeal vote, so he hasn't given up entirely. But it doesn't look like it'll even make it to the discussion stage.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:13 pm

I'd be pretty okay with Trump sitting on his ass for eight years, grinning like a toad and repeatedly saying "Obama's <foo> is going to fail eventually, and then I'm going to do so much better, you'll see, you'll see."

Yes, eight. If things progress to the point where the man can only shit in his own box I'll go ahead and vote for that over whatever moron actually thinks he has a better idea.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Thad wrote:McConnell is still planning on having a repeal vote, so he hasn't given up entirely. But it doesn't look like it'll even make it to the discussion stage.

Yeah, that's pretty much DoA already. The only thing that remains to be seen is if he actually tries to get a vote on it.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 pm

My wild speculation is that Jerry Moran is angling for a leadership position in the future. He's got one of the safest seats in the Senate (not up for reelection until '22, in Kansas), he's already had a very successful stint running the National Republican Senatorial Committee that helped put several of his colleagues in office in 2014, it's at least highly plausible that he's covering for one or more vulnerable senators with his vote that owe him a favor now, and the whole debacle with "Plan C" makes Cornyn (the GOP #2 in the Senate) look even more foolish than McConnell.

On the flip side, when your bill is so bad that it dies on the vote of one of the utterly boring and (previously) reliable party-line followers with hardly any visibility outside their state, You Have Fucked Up Now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:55 pm

I specifically ordered one (1) law and did not receive my purchase as described 1/5 stars

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Medium: Robert Hansen: Why I'm Down On Conservatism

This is pretty much the way I've always viewed the way the two forces *should* work, and under this idealized system, I might even be more conservative than liberal. It just... hasn't worked that way for most of the time I've been alive; more's the pity.

This additional point he made in the comments was good too:

Adam Smith believed in free markets: i.e., the right of the individual to make their economic choices without compulsion. He also warned repeatedly against capitalists, going so far as to say they’d be the end of us all with their obsession towards profit. If the only thing you can do is chase after a buck, you don’t have economic liberty: you’re an economic serf in a good suit, someone who believes money is worth trading away freedom.

Salk exercised his freedom in a way that was completely commendable. Shkreli is a capitalist and believes to hell with economic liberty, he’s got his.

I am completely on the side of the Salks, not the Shkrelis. Money is a useful tool but a lousy way to guide one’s life. I am a free-marketer; I am not a capitalist, and I think less of those people who are capitalists.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:27 pm

I got as far as that guy's photo.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:45 pm

What has historically worked really well for America?

Free inquiry. Free speech. Free association. Free religion. Free markets. The Rule of Law. Equality under the law. Radically populist checks on government power. Oh, and public libraries!

He left out "Free labor".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:45 pm

TA wrote:He left out "Free labor".

That's one thing that sure hasn't ended!

patito

Postby patito » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Washing your hands before performing surgery was a radical departure from the established norms of the time. Why should I a doctor wash my hands when almost a quarter of my patients manage to live through their amputations, that's almost 5% higher than my competitors, let's conserve the shit out of my method, why should I change if they seem to be working just fine.

patito

Postby patito » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:37 pm

That's a bad article mongrel.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:48 pm

I like the guy's assumption that publically-funded education and entertainment facilities for America's poorest would ever be/ever are backed by any sort of conservative.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:51 pm

patito wrote:That's a bad article mongrel.

I'm sure we can find lots of exceptions - like the handwashing. Doesn't mean the roles themselves are inherently bad.

Literally every positive advancement the species has ever made is by definition a product of that leftist/creative/experimental side. It's just that for every genuinely practical positive advancement we've come up with, there's far more cockeyed stupid ones; it's just Sturgeon's Law on the broadest possible scale. So if liberals are right sometimes then conservatives must be wrong sometimes. And that's okay!

We can debate percentages and details, but I would agree with the central idea that in an idealized social system people who lean right or conservative, or whatever you want to call it are responsible for maintaining existing structures which have served well and that people who lean left are responsible for churning out lots of new ideas for us to try, and maybe 90% of them will be crap, but that's okay because that's just how experimentation works.

If you want to say "Well, that's just an ideal, it doesn't happen IRL", that's fine, but even in my own post I acknowledged that it rarely works out that way in practice. Like any ideal, it can simply be something you try and work towards.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Also, understand that the article is more directed at moderate (or "moderate", if you prefer) American conservatives. It's a member of the in-group pointing out that the Republican party has become so batshit crazy that they only stand for themselves. The more people who express that, the better.