GOP Will Shit Itself

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:04 pm

I think both 2000 and 2008 McCain both had the impulse control problems, but 2008 McCain was definitely older, crankier, crochetier, and far more a tool of the party.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:32 pm

wowwww

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:23 pm

CPAC is on now and as expected, it's a goldmine for those who (for some strange reason) mine for nonsensical garbage. The Toronto Star is live-tweeting the lowlights:

(starts here)

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Let's check in again with the self-proclaimed party of traditional family values in Missouri, shall we?

"Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens was indicted and taken into custody Thursday for felony invasion of privacy ... The indictment apparently stems from allegations made in media reports last month that, during the course of an extramarital affair, he took a photograph of his bound and partially nude lover and threatened to publicize it if she exposed the affair."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 pm

And later in the same article

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 am

Libertarian intellectual thought (or, theocratic analysis, if you prefer >:) ) is stagnant and deadlocked because apparently if carried through to its logical conclusion, it actually turns into communism.

Oopsies!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:42 am

I can't find it offhand, but I seem to recall linking to a Frank Zappa interview some years back where he made a similar criticism toward Libertarianism: he noted that the Libertarian Party supported giving land back to indigenous tribes, but also opposed imminent domain, and that of course the two positions are irreconcilable.

Zappa was probably closer to a Libertarian than any other political party (he favored a flat tax, and of course his views on drugs and free speech where very Libertarian-y), but this was one of several examples of why he wouldn't have made a very good Libertarian either. He also favored sin taxes and government funding for the arts.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:48 pm

PfffffHAHAHA

EDIT:

<Rylinks> it seems strange to argue that verlander is a more valuable asset than three prospects because verlander won the WS and the prospects haven't done anything yet
<Rylinks> if i trade a bond that matures in 2025 for one that matures tomorrow, and they're trading at the same value, would I owe taxes on that?
<Rylinks> It doesn't seem like I should
<fmm> barry bonds matured ages ago

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:39 pm

And a bit more:

Breitbart is denying everything, of course.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Paul Ryan will not seek reelection.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Oh man, it's not over:

Read the letter, it's blistering. This might be the first guy on the hill this Congress to show a spine - and to have a good lawyer.

Fun Fact: Paul Ryan claims he's Catholic. Don't let the stairs hit your face on the way out, asshole!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Ahahahaha. It's nice to see Ryan continue to reveal himself as the spineless chickenshit he is before he leaves the public eye.

Good job, Father Conroy.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Oh right... unfortunately, Ben Carson still exists:

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun May 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Psy wrote:If you make insulin shots more painful, then who would want to be diabetic?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 pm

A painful reminder that the issue isn't popular opinion, it's that the douchebags with the unpopular opinion can be outnumbered 2-to-1 and not be put in a goddam box because everyone else is too nervous and disorganized to do anything about it.

What always gets me is the sense that THEY'RE just as frustrated about it as WE are. Their favorite barbs and insults always focus on their enemies' passiveness and indecision. I always feel like I'm looking myself as a troubled teenager, during those times when I knew the hormones were making me lose control but my parents weren't correcting me in any way so I'd just cause as much shit as I possibly could so they'd be forced to do something. I don't think that's an original observation or anything but... fuck, like, WHY ARE WE STILL JUST STANDING HERE WATCHING?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Bystander effect.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Well, that and helplessness in the face of a giant bureaucratic, armed, near-omniscient hivemind that can crush you without even noticing or caring, never mind if you deliberately antagonize it!

When even Senators and Congressmen - who can at least go down and yell at ICE dudes and try to get in to see detainees without being arrested and disappeared (for now) - basically achieve nothing when acting on an individual basis, I can't blame a regular schmuck for feeling powerless, sitting around and hoping that someone "with the power to do something" will actually do so. They've forgotten they are the power. They've forgotten than if you want reps who do their jobs and pass laws which aren't odious crimes against humanity, then you need to, you know, actually participate in the political process, whether this means voting... or organizing a riot (pitchforks are okay, but please, no tiki torches).

Those LEADING the political process also need to step up and stop mincing words. I mean, we keep calling it "Baby Jail", but wouldn't it be nice to hear an actual fucking public figure call it that? Seriously, the Republicans said fuck you to ~decorum~ thirty or forty years ago. The Obama-style strategy of trying to force a return to civility has failed pathetically, so it's time to drop what clearly isn't working and call shit what it is, in terms as blunt as possible. The more obliquely this shit is referred to, the easier it is to rationalize.