GOP Will Shit Itself

François

Re: The Grand Olde Party will self-consume

Postby François » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:33 pm

Well that's chilling in so many ways. Unsurprising, but chilling.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:58 pm

Tripped over some... well, something quite scary this afternoon. It's been easy to joke about Ted Cruz being the Zodiac Killer or whatever else, but a couple folks have started looking at what's going on with the machinery of the GOP and this primary run has just gotten even worse, if such a thing is possible.

Ever wondered how just about everyone can hate Ted Cruz and yet he finds a way to win and advance every time? Apparently Cruz has very cannily and quietly been taking control of the GOP machinery behind the primary process.

So the parallel for Trump may be Mussolini, but apparently the parallel for Cruz is Joseph Fucking Stalin.

Jeet Heer has been putting it quite well:

You can go back to tweet #1 for essentially the same story I'm describing.

You really want to see the GOP eat itself? Let Ted Cruz win. As Jeet and others later point out in subsequent conversation, "Trump is The Mule". He has no obvious heir, is old, and is unlikely to try to run again after a failed go. After a Trump nomination and failure in the general, the GOP can try to rebuild with a more conventional candidate in 2020.

Whereas if Cruz were to win the nomination and control of party machinery, he may well try to run again. He's young and obviously ambitious - a comparison to Nixon in '60 & '68 is made.

Godammit Republicans.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Also, there's another Cruz storm brewing. And this one's a sex scandal!

Apparently the National Enquirer of all places broke a story about Ted Cruz having a bunch of mistresses. So far, so "who cares" - it's the Enquirer, right? But the specific Enquirer reporter is apparently the one who broke the John Edwards sex scandal. Still, that's hardly enough. Well, now Washington Times reporter has said that the rumour has been circulating amongst the press but no one reputable wanted to go to print without credible sources.

He's now claiming to validate the Enquirer's sources.

Might still go nowhere or turn out to be a dud or a complete fabrication (important detail - Trump is friends with one of the Enquirer publishers), but stay tuned for more details. Insofar as I don't give a damn about what a given politician is doing in the sack, if this has legs it could potentially have a hell of an impact on the race - the needle only has to move a little for Trump to be guaranteed an outright majority of votes heading into the convention.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:10 pm

I just saw someone call this the "Cuban Mistress Crisis"

XD

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Do you have a good non-paywalled article about the Cruz Stalin thing? Because fuck the WSJ.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:13 pm

François wrote:

Well that's chilling in so many ways. Unsurprising, but chilling.

Oh yeah, they've been buddies for years. They share a hatred of Mexicans and a quest to find Obama's birth certificate.

Mongrel wrote:As Jeet and others later point out in subsequent conversation, "Trump is The Mule".

You know, that analogy's probably been floating on the edge of my consciousness for months but it didn't click until I heard it.

That's actually pretty much perfect. Especially with Nate Silver in the Hari Seldon role.

Mongrel wrote:Also, there's another Cruz storm brewing. And this one's a sex scandal!

Apparently the National Enquirer of all places broke a story about Ted Cruz having a bunch of mistresses. So far, so "who cares" - it's the Enquirer, right? But the specific Enquirer reporter is apparently the one who broke the John Edwards sex scandal. Still, that's hardly enough. Well, now Washington Times reporter has said that the rumour has been circulating amongst the press but no one reputable wanted to go to print without credible sources.

He's now claiming to validate the Enquirer's sources.

Even without Rev Moon at the helm, the Washington Times is still only about a half-step up from the Enquirer. Doesn't mean this doesn't have legs, but I'll believe it when a reputable news source reports it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:16 pm

TA wrote:Do you have a good non-paywalled article about the Cruz Stalin thing? Because fuck the WSJ.

I can't even read it myself anymore. It mainly described Cruz taking five out of six Louisiana positions on Republican National Convention Rules Committee as well as the fact that he and Trump each won 18 delegates in LA, but that there are now 10 unbound delegates and Cruz has manoeuvred in such a way that they are almost certainly voting for him. Other articles pretty much just summarize the same thing.

It didn't really have anything on Cruz's machinations in other states, or in his career leading up to the nom, because this hasn't been a story so far. I expect there'll be more articles soon as more people start looking at this angle.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:20 pm

Thad wrote:Even without Rev Moon at the helm, the Washington Times is still only about a half-step up from the Enquirer. Doesn't mean this doesn't have legs, but I'll believe it when a reputable news source reports it.

That is the correct attitude. But I don't even really care if it's true - it's not like it would make me like Cruz more (or less) if it turned out to be a lie or true. When you're being compared to the Zodiac Killer or Stalin, your marital infidelities become rather small potatoes.

I'm more interested in how it might impact the campaign. Of course, if it turns out to be a smear job fabricated by Trump and that's the story that comes out, that could also impact the campaign.

Cait

Postby Cait » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:50 pm

News-fu reminder: Take a WSJ (or other paywall news site) URL, drop it into Google, click through from there, no more paywall.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Lewandowski's been charged with battery. He's hired Kendall Coffey to defend him. Remember Kendall Coffey? He's the US Attorney who was fired for biting a stripper.

What's been fascinating about this is how Fields merely wanted an apology for being bruised, but Trump, Lewandowski and even her own employer publicly insinuated she was lying…

As a result, since then Trumpites have had to adjust their attacks on her to adapt to the emerging evidence against him. With each new angle, we've gone from "never touched her" to "didn't grab her" to "only lightly grabbed her" until all they're left with is admitting she was always telling the truth—but it's not like he beat her up or anything.

Then he hires a lawyer who bit a stripper.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:35 pm

[Double-post; can't delete.]

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:39 pm

So Hastert got convicted for diddling kids back when he was a high school teacher. Really adds some perspective to some of the shit he said when he was riling up the mob for Clinton's impeachment. Just... fucking hell. Actual child molester acting all outraged about a pair of consenting adults.

Speaking of children, Boehner and Cruz are adorable.

I don't understand how the party survives all this shit. I know it's bad mental hygiene, but I really can't help thinking you'd have to be some combination of evil and fucking retarded to support them in any way.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Hooooly shit

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Well, technically he was being prosecuted for evading currency reporting requirements, because he was paying hush money to people he molested. Still, he confessed, the Judge described him as a "serial child molester," and it was an aggravating factor in the sentencing. So... yeah. There is some hair splitting over what he was actually sentenced for, but he's a fucking child rapist.

Fifteen months, probably to be commuted due to the fact that he's a walking coprolite, but hopefully he dies in prison.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:08 pm

"He who smelt it dealt it" is a rule that applies to a lot of situations.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:21 pm

It's been a pretty reliable rule that if a right wing politician is railing against something, it's damn near certain that that something is exactly what they've been doing for years. Except they were probably doing it while Eiffel towering a minor with Satan himself.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:47 am

I kinda want every discussion of bathroom bills to include the statistic, "Your children are more likely to be molested by a Republican Speaker of the House than a trans woman in a public restroom."

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Sharkey wrote:It's been a pretty reliable rule that if a right wing politician is railing against something, it's piss all over near certain that that something is exactly what they've been doing for years. Except they were probably doing it while Eiffel towering a minor with Satan himself.
"Haggard's Law" as I've heard it called. Gives me the creeps whenever someone like, say, Bryan Fischer says anything about anything...

Thad wrote:I kinda want every discussion of bathroom bills to include the statistic, "Your children are more likely to be molested by a Republican Speaker of the House than a trans woman in a public restroom."
The only sensible solution here is to have a separate room for GOP firebrands and/or Catholic priests.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Hardly Ideal wrote:The only sensible solution here is to have a separate room for GOP firebrands and/or Catholic priests.

I'd love to see the logo for that.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 20, 2016 7:55 pm