GOP Will Shit Itself

Thad

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Cait wrote:Not cool, Thad. I'm not Mongrel.

I just assume everything here is written by Mongrel at this point.

François

Postby François » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Huh. I know I've been a Mongrel sock puppet from the beginning, but I never stopped to consider I might not be the only one. We're gonna need a Voight-Kampf ohwait it was werewolf wasn't it of course it makes sense now every variant and refinement on werewolf has been the forum's unconscious attempt at devising the perfect test to find out who among us is also mongrel oh god

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Shhhhh... guys you're not to actually say it out LOUD.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Monguild
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Truly, this is the worst timeline.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 am

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens has admitted to having an affair with a hairdresser shortly before his election, but has not addressed the further claims that he taped up and blindfolded her, took nude photos, and was using them to blackmail her into silence. Todd Aken, hold my beer.

Not even other state Republican officials are standing behind him, though that may not be a moral stance as much as it is payback for him fighting with his nominal allies in the legislature constantly.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:03 am

This is just like one of my Japanese animes.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Once again, I don't think we can ever apologize enough for having sent you guys David Frum.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Yes. Yes he did.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:44 pm

all people in the united states must be counted. women, children, non-white sub-human trash but only at 3/5ths, uh, i mean, blacks
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Charlottesville as a Preview of the Future of the Republican Party
Meanwhile, the only people entering the Republican Party candidate pipeline in the Trump era almost have to be allied with the alt-right, because the alt-right absolutely comprises the only effective and successful youth outreach strategy the GOP currently employs.
In a decade, state legislatures will start filling up with Gamergaters, MRAs, /pol/ posters, Anime Nazis, and Proud Boys. These are, as of now, the only people in their age cohort becoming more active in Republican politics in the Trump era.

https://splinternews.com/charlottesvill ... 1797988745

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:47 am

That was after Ryan's Twitter account quickly deleted this one as being "too out of touch":

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 pm

been reading the old boards

a post by Thad stood out to me

he's quoting Jonathan Schwarz from a link that no longer works, but here's the quote:

Quote from: Jonathan Schwarz
In other words, the days of a rational American empire are drawing to a close. We’ll be forced to discard either the empire part, or the rational part. And based on 10,000 years of human history, I’m guessing it’s the rational part that will go.

Whether McCain wins or not, Sarah Palin is a harbinger of the future. The fact there was no one able to prevent McCain from choosing such an obviously inadequate imperial manager, and choosing her in such a bizarre, panicked way, indicates that—as during the decline of Rome, or the last years of Saddam’s regime—everyone sane has already been eliminated from the power structure. And thus we’re left with nothing but the whim of whoever’s clambered to the top of the Crazy Pole.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 pm

I've said it before, but I've felt that way since GWB was picked over McCain in 2000.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 am

W was certainly a step on the road we're on (and I fucking hate this trend of liberals deciding that the mass-murdering torturer wasn't so bad after all), but his nomination was qualitatively different from Trump's.

First, W had an advantage over McCain in name recognition. That counts for a lot. (Trump's name recognition unquestionably helped him, but Jeb had just as much.) Second, his campaign was, in many ways, the opposite of Trump's; extreme as W's past positions were, and even as Rove was pulling racist dirty tricks, he campaigned as a moderate: a uniter, not a divider; a compassionate conservative who would restore honor and dignity to the White House.

In short, Bush campaigned on trying to obscure his partisan and racial divisiveness, which is about as far from the Trump campaign as it gets.

I don't know how different a president McCain would really have been. The key question is, would he have prevented 9/11? If yes, then yeah, things would have been fundamentally different. If no, then I think they would have played out much the same, but with less torture.

It's always worth noting that, while Trump and Palin are outside the Republican mainstream in demeanor, they're very much within it in terms of actual policy. "Percent of time Senator X voted with President Y" is an imperfect metric (because not all votes are equal), but nonetheless it bears noting that Jeff Flake -- the senator who is stepping down because he can't get reelected because he's too anti-Trump -- votes with Trump 90% of the time. McCain votes with him 83% of the time, which is actually significantly more frequently than he voted with Bush (79%).

Course, never underestimate just how much McCain is motivated by pettiness. If you look at his voting record and assume that his primary motivation is revenge against the guy who beat him, then his swing from somewhat-less-conservative under Bush to hard-right-conservative under Obama makes a lot more sense.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm

McCain is probably my favorite (washington) GOP guy, and overall, I don't like him.

I think he would have made a better President than Bush, simply because he wouldn't have basically driven personally down to GuanBay to gleefully torture people like Bush did, as Thad notes. I have personal respect for him as a soldier having undergone torture and come out the other side with the knowledge that that shit is not okay, ever, for any reason.

But he's still a republican and he still votes to fuck everyone except rich white people men directly in the ass, so.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:21 pm

The main thing about that 2000 campaign is that while you're absolutely correct Bush had name recognition and campaigned as a uniter, and that McCain probably wouldn't have handled 9/11 the same way (though I'm not 100% sure he would have been dumb/hawkish enough to go to war in the Graveyard of Empires), polls consistently showed McCain had a better chance in the general AND not a week went by where Bush didn't demonstrate he had the mental acumen of a ten-year-old.

If we're talking about the gradual loss of rationality (and the precedent of campaigns like Trump's, where the candidate can "shoot someone in the street and not lose votes"), then that second point was huge. It was manifestly obvious at the time that, if not an outright moron, Bush had serious mental issues and would make a questionable president at best. It wasn't analogous to Reagan either, where these changes came over time - Bush had Brain Problems long before he ever reached the White House.

Regardless of their politics or how far left or right each candidate was respectively at the time, it was really, really, blindingly obvious to any casual observer in 2000 that McCain was by far the most QUALIFIED of the two. The fact that the GOP was not choosing for capability, or even electability, seemed like a huge red (hehe) flag to me.

Friday wrote:McCain is probably my favorite (washington) GOP guy, and overall, I don't like him.

I think he would have made a better President than Bush, simply because he wouldn't have basically driven personally down to GuanBay to gleefully torture people like Bush did, as Thad notes. I have personal respect for him as a soldier having undergone torture and come out the other side with the knowledge that that shit is not okay, ever, for any reason.

But he's still a republican and he still votes to fuck everyone except rich white people men directly in the ass, so.

Yeah, this is basically where I am too.

Occasionally he does something creditable, like the health care vote trickery. But most of the time he still votes like a rich, white old asshole.

And yet those once-in-a-blue-moon moral stands are enough to put him head and shoulders above most of the GOP.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Surprisingly, we don't have a dedicated "Libertarians are fucking crazy" thread, so I'll just ham-handedly shoehorn this in here.

Clips and quotes from the Libertarian party presidential debates are circulating and they are something else.

(I think the naked guy one made the news at the time, but I don't recall the others)

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Friday wrote:McCain is probably my favorite (washington) GOP guy

Assuming you don't mean "guy" in a gendered sense, I think I gotta go with Collins at this point.

Unless we're talking about surveillance, in which case, man, I hate Rand Paul, but he's consistently on the right side of that issue.

Mongrel wrote:The main thing about that 2000 campaign is that while you're absolutely correct Bush had name recognition and campaigned as a uniter, and that McCain probably wouldn't have handled 9/11 the same way (though I'm not 100% sure he would have been dumb/hawkish enough to go to war in the Graveyard of Empires), polls consistently showed McCain had a better chance in the general AND not a week went by where Bush didn't demonstrate he had the mental acumen of a ten-year-old.

If we're talking about the gradual loss of rationality (and the precedent of campaigns like Trump's, where the candidate can "shoot someone in the street and not lose votes"), then that second point was huge. It was manifestly obvious at the time that, if not an outright moron, Bush had serious mental issues and would make a questionable president at best. It wasn't analogous to Reagan either, where these changes came over time - Bush had Brain Problems long before he ever reached the White House.

If McCain had gotten the nomination, his mental state would have absolutely been called into question. Bush is dumb; McCain lacks impulse control. This is a man who (allegedly) called his wife a cunt, in front of reporters.

If he'd gotten the nomination in 2000, we wouldn't have seen a racially-tinged outburst like "that one" in a debate, but we'd have seen him say something inappropriate that seriously called his ability to handle pressure into question. (I wonder how this would have played against boring old Gore. Would McCain's volatility have made Gore's blandness seem more appealing, or would Gore's blandness have made McCain's volatility seem more palatable by comparison?)

Of course, the biggest mistake he made in 2008, the one that most significantly called his judgement into question, was his choice of running-mate. It wouldn't have been Sarah Palin in '00, of course, but would he have made a similarly bad call? I'm thinking probably not; he needed Palin to shore up his credentials with the base, who thought of him as a RINO -- and I don't think he had that reputation in 2000.

At any rate, any way you slice it, Bush and McCain are both unfit to be president, for different reasons.

Mongrel wrote:Surprisingly, we don't have a dedicated "Libertarians are fucking crazy" thread, so I'll just ham-handedly shoehorn this in here.

Clips and quotes from the Libertarian party presidential debates are circulating and they are something else.

Sam Bee had some pretty good coverage at the time.

IIRC a lot of people dismissed Johnson as a big-government guy because he thought driver's licenses were a good idea.