GOP Will Shit Itself

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeah, I don't want to get too deep into this either.

Thad wrote:And then there's demographics. As you said, shooters are likelier to be right-wing -- and I think that's down to the profile. Shooters are likelier to be white and male; white males are likelier to be Republicans.

The one thing I do want to say is that we're used to this being the case because it's been true for about the last 40-odd years - more than our lifetimes anyway. But prior to that, the US had a number of armed left-wing groups. Some unfairly tarred as terrorists (Black Panthers) and some with very explicitly violent intentions (Weather Underground).

If you go back further you see other groups like early unions willing to fight back against owners (in fairness this is after many owners hired armed goons), abolitionists, and even Temperance groups! (well, I'm not sure if Temperance groups count as left wing or right wing, but they were all or heavily women at time when groups of armed women was nearly unthinkable)

So the history is there. Sadly the US has a long history of people being or feeling disempowered and so resorting to "the cartridge box".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:31 pm

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:Yeah, I don't want to get too deep into this either.

Thad wrote:And then there's demographics. As you said, shooters are likelier to be right-wing -- and I think that's down to the profile. Shooters are likelier to be white and male; white males are likelier to be Republicans.

The one thing I do want to say is that we're used to this being the case because it's been true for about the last 40-odd years - more than our lifetimes anyway. But prior to that, the US had a number of armed left-wing groups. Some unfairly tarred as terrorists (Black Panthers) and some with very explicitly violent intentions (Weather Underground).

I'll argue for a second influencer there:

the police, for some reason, puts much more effort when it comes to infiltrating and neutralizing left-wing radicals.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Yep. No question.

That reason by the way is that police are the servants of the ruling class and not the people, as is true in any failed or failing state.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:58 pm

I WANT TO MURDER BLACK PEOPLE

"gee golly gillicker sir you should go home and get help, murdering people, even black people, is not okay"

I WANT TO MURDER THE PEOPLE WHO ARE MURDERING

1. me, because I am black
2. the black people

"the left is the true terror threat"
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Militant Millennials are killing Racist Old White Men And Their Institutions and also American Cheese
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Mongrel wrote:

He says "an anti-Muslim campaign against a person who isn't even Muslim" as if that's surprising.

Guys, the Obama Administration really wasn't that long ago; it just FEELS like it was.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Friday wrote:and also American Cheese

Man, if anything on this earth deserves death, it's American Cheese.

First of all, who even wants cheese that tastes like Americans? Second of all, Wisconsin.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 pm

for me it's a tie between American Cheese (which I call "satanspunk" when not in polite company) and just like, every bullshit shitty chain restaurant like Applebees and Hooters and etc.

they are the American Cheese of restaurants
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:14 pm

:rofl:

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 pm

American cheese does not exist. Furthermore, American 'cheese' must be destroyed.

Mmn, I'm actually somewhat more optimistic than most of my American friends and peers. Not because I'm optimistic at all, mind!.. More that I've been in love (or perhaps something more visceral?..) with politics since I could read, and I've never seen so much engagement, and curiousity about what that means. Nor, despite the gloominess permeating everything... Nor does it seem like that engagement is going down.

We'll see, though.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Miami GOP Chairman just caught leading Proud Boys in attack on Democratic campaign office

The Miami-Dade Republican Party’s County Chairman led an angry mob of partisans, alongside the local leader of national hate group the Proud Boys, in an attack on a Democratic campaign office this week.

Miami GOP Chairman Nelson Diaz planned the event (image below) and local Congressman Carlos Curbelo promoted the protest heavily.

The Proud Boys are a national street gang with numerous Republican connections one of whose members planned the Charlottesville riot which group members attended last summer. But they court a multi-racial membership based on their beliefs in religious hatred, bitter misogyny and Trump-ism whose members seek violent confrontation from coast to coast.

In just the last week, the Proud Boys violently attacked protesters alongside neo-Nazis in Manhattan after an event held at the GOP’s New York City clubhouse and The Oregonian reported on Monday that a march they co-organized in Portland included a team of rooftop snipers.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 am

Might be time to merge this one with Our Collapsing Civilisation.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:19 am

Civilisation is not lost until we are. But, uh, I don't disagree with your logic...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:54 am

Daily Beast: Former GOP Candidate Arrested for Attempting to Kill With ‘Radioactive Material’

The FBI arrested a man in Town of Madison, Wisconsin, on Wednesday for “trying to buy radioactive material with the intent to kill someone,” local news station WKOW reports. Jeremy Ryan, 30, allegedly attempted to buy a “lethal dose of a radioactive substance” online between March and October 2018. The Town of Madison Police Department confirmed to The Daily Beast that the man arrested was the same Jeremy Ryan who lost the August Republican primary while running for Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District in the House of Representatives. Agents reportedly searched Ryan’s home, and officials said there was no danger to the public. Ryan’s alleged target was not identified by officials, and he reportedly faces up to a life sentence in prison.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 pm

At first I was like "Of COURSE!" but reading the comments several important things have been pointed out.

- Grassley is a not a lawyer and almost certainly has no idea what he's just done.
- Investigation by the DOJ will require the process of Discovery where Kavanaugh will have to answer questions under oath. Again.
- This investigation will have no stupid time limit.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:02 pm

The Donald are already claiming victory. This could be... amusing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:16 pm

To be fair it's also possible that the DOJ will just say "Nah."

I don't know how much power Grassley has to actually COMPEL an investigation in this case? Does a referral like this carry weight or is it the equivalent of calling the tip line while on national TV?

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 pm

A bit of both.

As Senate Judiciary Chairman, Grassley has a whole bunch of implicit powers, as I understand it. He could theoretically call for an investigation on nearly anyone, at any time; congress has bled off a lot of it's powers and responsibilities to the presidency, of course, but many are still active - in theory.

HOWEVER, and it's a big, all-caps however:

Unless he follows up, and he's almost certainly been approached by Republican lawyers by now, it's just bully-pulpit red meat for the base. Words without action, which is also how modern illiberal democracy works; there is no need for outright brutality and suppression, save for small, well-targeted (if not carried out) focuses. Just keep the people who care guessing and divided, and most people will not care.

Of course, this isn't without risks - Avenatti has done a very good job of keeping things in the public eye, and a failure to follow through might get several other hungry Republicans eyeing up Grassley's position... Since, of course, many of the Republicans genuinely believe a full investigation would benefit them and cannibalism amongst them is pretty common. Honestly, I think Lindsey Graham may want Grassley's position, not AG. We'll see - at the moment, the likeliest outcome is... Nothing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

There were no arrests, but police confiscated several signs. The report lists the incident as a “suspected hate crime” on the basis of “anti-political” bias.

Threatening Carlson's family is deffo not kosher, but come on guys.