GOP Will Shit Itself

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 6233
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:37 am

Anyway. I don't know what's going to happen. But, if I had to guess, gun to my head? Kavanaugh gets confirmed; this does long-term damage to the Republican brand, but it's still a lifetime appointment.

I don't fucking know. Maybe at least two of Flake/Collins/Murkowski vote against him. I wouldn't bet on it. I've been wrong before, but not usually in the direction of being too pessimistic.

I faxed Flake. I don't imagine it'll make a difference, but it's not nothin'.

I feel like I was going to say something else here but I don't remember. Shit's fucked, man. I'd like for shit to be less fucked.

Everybody vote. Everybody remind your friends to vote.

Wife just looked at me and compared me to a melted ice cream cone. That feels about right.

Goodnight everybody.

User avatar
Bal
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Bal » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:28 am

I find the Supreme Court to be so compromised at this point, not just due to this or Trump but in general, that the best case scenario I can imagine is a constitutional referendum on how we appoint our judges, and for how long.

Kfroog
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:09 am

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Kfroog » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 am

Thad wrote:Maybe at least two of Flake/Collins/Murkowski vote against him.

We'd need all three of them. Or two of them and Manchin.

User avatar
beatbandito
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:39 am

Watching this bullshit is making me physically ill. It's one side saying "It's the senate's duty to fully investigate this" and the other saying "we owe it to Trump to do what he wants".

As I type this Lindsey Graham is literally saying "they used to not even have hearings, now we keep second-guessing just because we're being given reasons to".

Seriously the only way these mindsets make sense if there's a secret rule I don't know about that Dr. Ford gets the nomination if Kavanaugh loses it.
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 11231
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:38 pm

beatbandito wrote:Watching this bullshit is making me physically ill. It's one side saying "It's the senate's duty to fully investigate this" and the other saying "we owe it to Trump to do what he wants".

As I type this Lindsey Graham is literally saying "they used to not even have hearings, now we keep second-guessing just because we're being given reasons to".

Seriously the only way these mindsets make sense if there's a secret rule I don't know about that Dr. Ford gets the nomination if Kavanaugh loses it.

Well, part of the problem is that Graham has pretty much decided to forget Merrick Garland ever happened.
Image

User avatar
beatbandito
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:14 pm

It's beyond that, they're almost actively saying that was handled perfectly.

Fortunately, Thad's fax saved the day.
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 11231
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Sadly I was and am sure that Kavanaugh will get in.
Image

User avatar
Yoji
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm
Location: Megastructure 23-20-6

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Yoji » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Mongrel wrote:
beatbandito wrote:Watching this bullshit is making me physically ill. It's one side saying "It's the senate's duty to fully investigate this" and the other saying "we owe it to Trump to do what he wants".

As I type this Lindsey Graham is literally saying "they used to not even have hearings, now we keep second-guessing just because we're being given reasons to".

Seriously the only way these mindsets make sense if there's a secret rule I don't know about that Dr. Ford gets the nomination if Kavanaugh loses it.

Well, part of the problem is that Graham has pretty much decided to forget Merrick Garland ever happened.

I've been just blurting out his name involuntarily for weeks now. It's getting embarrassing.

"Yoji, have you seen kiddo's shoes anywhere?" "Merrick Garla- er, under the couch."

"Hey, how are we looking on that scale printer assembly drawing?" "Merric-er...ly! Merrily! Yeah, it's coming along fine."

"So, what have my son and grandson been up to?" "Merrick's getting re- I mean, Franzie's getting ready for the big kids' class."

"Darling, the kid's down for a nap and we have to the house to ourselves... how about some alone time?" "Merrick Garlannno wait come back!"
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Joxam » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:18 pm

It shouldn't be lost on anyone that the reason they aren't just shit canning his ass for another just as conservative judge is that Trump wants one that wont vote to throw his ass in jail.
Image

User avatar
beatbandito
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby beatbandito » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:33 pm

Any other time I would fully expect this to end with "okay, we're pulling Kavanaugh, but because you gave us such a problem about that no one is allowed to complain about our new candidate, David Duke". But we're at the point where words don't matter anymore, they're just going to keep doing what they want to do, and as long as it keeps the people in power happy all the complaints in the world don't mean shit.

Which is, like, I have to imagine this is about what it felt like before a French, Phil Hartman-Voiced Guillotine Salesman made the deal of a lifetime.
Image

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 6233
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Kfroog wrote:
Thad wrote:Maybe at least two of Flake/Collins/Murkowski vote against him.

We'd need all three of them. Or two of them and Manchin.

I don't expect any Democrat to be the deciding vote. Not even Manchin.

I'm not saying he won't vote to confirm. But I don't think he'll vote to confirm unless every Republican does too.

Flake appears to have negotiated a one-week FBI investigation, though it hasn't actually been approved yet and this wouldn't be the first time Flake cast a Yes vote in exchange for a deal the leadership never intended to honor. (ETA: The Senate and White House have authorized it, so it looks like it's happening.)

I don't expect the FBI to find out anything we don't already know. The Republicans don't either; they're going though the motions so they can say they investigated.

But approval of Kavanaugh's selection is historically low and still declining. I think any delay means more time for constituents to put pressure on swing senators, and that's really all anyone can do now.

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 11231
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Joxam wrote:It shouldn't be lost on anyone that the reason they aren't just shit canning his ass for another just as conservative judge is that Trump wants one that wont vote to throw his ass in jail.

That's a huge part of it, but I also think there's a stubborn refusal to give Democrats event he slimmest of victories.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think there technically isn't enough time left to go through the full confirmation process before the midterms? I mean I don't know, if it came down to it, I'm sure the Republicans could ram someone else through in a big damn hurry if they really had to.
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 11231
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:21 pm

On the plus side, the gods have at least seen fit to bestow this upon us:

Image

User avatar
Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 2280
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Brentai » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:27 pm

In short, because I really can't bring myself to write a lot about this: This benefits none of the Senators on the right, definitely not either of the two undecideds, and really is too embarrassing to count as sticking it to the Dems. If anything, it'll serve as a huge - HUGE - rallying point for liberals in November. So why are they doing it?

Fear.

That is all.
Image

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 6233
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:31 pm

I think fear is a big part of it. A lot of these motherfuckers have these kinds of skeletons in their closets; even more know somebody who does.

Tribalism is part of it too.

And outrage. "How dare you disrupt the natural order of things?" These are people who came to power on a wave of resentment that a woman and a black man dared to think they could be president.

I think part of it is sheer fucking spite. It's not enough to win. It's not enough to get the policies they want. It's about rubbing liberals' faces in it, about making them feel helpless and humiliated and powerless.

There's a metaphor here, and I'm just going to let it hang there.

User avatar
Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 2280
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Brentai » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 pm

I guess I should have wrote a little bit more: It's fear at the repercussions of not maintaining lockstep with the zealous death cult that the Republican Party has become. Every one of these high-ranking lawmakers is going to kowtow and swear in a guy who makes it easier for Donald Trump to stab them in the back someday, not because they secretly love being stabbed in the back by Donald Trump, but because they're afraid of what might happen if they sing a note out of tune and stand up to him. An incompetent, barely literate 72-year-old who's never not had a bodyguard in his life, and they can't say no to him, because each and every one of them is in a political Mexican standoff where the first person to sneeze gets blown away.

Outrage and spite have nothing to do with it. Kavanaugh isn't their guy. Kavanaugh is a Manchurian candidate working for a blustering ox who has already done irreversible damage to their natural order of things. Kavanaugh is sure as hell not worth the political cost, but they're going to bend over and pony it up anyway because all these people are terrified fucking peons. And everybody needs to see just how tiny and useless all their polidicks really are.
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 11231
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:55 am

I just realized that if you watch the testimony, at the very moment Kavanaugh says "never sexually assaulted", he looks away, and not in the same way he looks away when he's consulting the papers he's prepared.

As a judge, he probably knows that's a very common indicator of someone lying, so he catches himself and only looks halfway away. But for whatever weight you may or may not put on physical tells, it's there.
Image

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 6233
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Brentai wrote:I guess I should have wrote a little bit more: It's fear at the repercussions of not maintaining lockstep with the zealous death cult that the Republican Party has become. Every one of these high-ranking lawmakers is going to kowtow and swear in a guy who makes it easier for Donald Trump to stab them in the back someday, not because they secretly love being stabbed in the back by Donald Trump, but because they're afraid of what might happen if they sing a note out of tune and stand up to him. An incompetent, barely literate 72-year-old who's never not had a bodyguard in his life, and they can't say no to him, because each and every one of them is in a political Mexican standoff where the first person to sneeze gets blown away.


That too.

Outrage and spite have nothing to do with it.


I'm...going to assume here that you haven't watched Lindsey Graham's tirade. Because I don't know how anyone could watch that (or read a transcript) and conclude that outrage and spite have nothing to do with it.

Kavanaugh isn't their guy.


He's sure as hell Lindsey Graham's guy. And Ted Cruz's. And Steve King's. Orrin Hatch seems pretty happy with him, and he's not worried about reelection. That's off the top of my head; I could keep going down the list.

When you say "they", it seems like you're talking about Mitch McConnell. As far as that goes, yeah, I think it's pretty clear he would rather have had somebody else besides Kavanaugh. But there are plenty of people in his caucus who are pleased as Punch with the selection.

Kavanaugh is a Manchurian candidate working for a blustering ox who has already done irreversible damage to their natural order of things.


Their natural order of things is that rich white men get to do whatever they want with impunity, with no consequences. Most of them don't like Trump's style but they love what he represents.

Trump is not the cause. The Republican Party was a zealous death cult well before he got there.

If you think this wouldn't have happened under a more traditional Republican president, well:

George W. Bush is reportedly calling undecided senators to sway them to vote for Kavanaugh

Kavanaugh is sure as hell not worth the political cost, but they're going to bend over and pony it up anyway because all these people are terrified fucking peons.


No. They're going to do it because they are legitimately awful human beings, and they always have been.

You can blame Trump for nominating Brett Kavanaugh. You can blame Trump for not withdrawing the nomination once the allegations surfaced. But you can't blame Trump for Brett Kavanaugh receiving support from the same people who supported Clarence Thomas.

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 11231
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Current Affairs has gone through Kavanaugh's testimony with a fine tooth comb and found dozens of logical inconsistencies and outright lies. It also looks Ford's (albeit much more briefly) and finds none.

And this is ONLY working with the publicly available testimonies, and publicly-provided information (i.e. statements from Kavanaugh's friends).

In a just world, this would receive wide dispersion, but... ha.
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 11231
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Image
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests