<extremely Harrison Ford voice> Get Off My Lawn

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: <extremely Harrison Ford voice> Get Off My Lawn

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:16 pm

There's where it gets weird; I've got a Gen X lifestyle and generally Gen X sensibilities, whereas Thad's got a Millenial lifestyle and generally Millenial sensibilities... but Thad's two months older than me.

You can broadly define generations in terms of "more people at this age have this type of experience" but end of the day who you are is defined by what you are. And man, if you think the OLD yuppies are just out to fuck shit up for a laugh...

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:58 pm

I mean, the idea of getting a job in your field out of college is a fucking boomer joke at the latest, possibly even earlier. It's a trope. I think the problem these writers are having understanding millenials is that there hasn't been a generation under the same economic and political pressure that millenials are under since the 1930's. Add to that a whole host a newly invented problems, and the fact that for what I think of as the genuine millenials (born in the 90's), they've never had a political reality that didn't include war in the middle east, and never had a personal economic life before 2008. There's practically no common ground.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Brentai wrote:There's where it gets weird; I've got a Gen X lifestyle and generally Gen X sensibilities, whereas Thad's got a Millenial lifestyle and generally Millenial sensibilities... but Thad's two months older than me.

You can broadly define generations in terms of "more people at this age have this type of experience" but end of the day who you are is defined by what you are. And man, if you think the OLD yuppies are just out to fuck shit up for a laugh...

The Gibson quote about how "The future is here, it's just unevenly distributed" is generally applied to changing technology, but, as I'm sure he's aware, it applies to any kind of broad shift.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:23 pm