Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Yoji

Re: Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Postby Yoji » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:35 pm

So, this happened during the Democrats' House sit-in.

It should be pointed out that John Lewis, the guy who's pretty much leading the sit-in, was beaten by police for his participation in the Woolworth's sit-in. It was 1965, and he was twenty-one years old at the time.

Paul Walker wasn't born until 1969, four years after.

Healy wrote:
CHAT DUMP wrote:[Robin] pace yourself before you disgrace yourself
[Robin] curb yourself before you perturb yourself
[rocketnia] abate yourself before you exacerbate yourself
[rocketnia] halt yourself before you fault yourself
[Robin] address yourself before you regress yourself
[Robin] fix yourself before you nix yourself
[rocketnia] curtail yourself before you impale yourself
[rocketnia] arrest yourself before you detest yourself
[rocketnia] educate yourself before you adulate yourself
[Robin] sort yourself before you thwart yourself
[Robin] mend yourself before you end yourself
[rocketnia] adjust yourself before you trust yourself
[Robin] aerate yourself before you asphyxiate yourself
[rocketnia] XD
[Robin] loosify yourself before you crucify yourself
[rocketnia] watch yourself before you botch yourself
[rocketnia] audit yourself before you "bought it" yourself
[Robin] edit yourself before you discredit yourself
[rocketnia] nice
[rocketnia] reassess yourself before you dispossess yourself
[Robin] catch yourself before you dispatch yourself
[maga] dutifully hone yourself before you brutally own yourself
[Robin] :trophy:
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

TA

Postby TA » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:06 pm

Good. More Nazis need to be stabbed.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:20 pm

TA wrote:Good. More Nazis need to be stabbed.

Sometimes, it's really hard to adhere to this whole First Amendment dealio. *mumble grumble ideals curse*
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:39 pm

First they came for the neonazis and I said nothing because, seriously, fuck those guys.

TA

Postby TA » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Hardly Ideal wrote:

Sometimes, it's really hard to adhere to this whole First Amendment dealio. *mumble grumble ideals curse*

Yeah, when your speech is advocating violence and the denial of rights to others, I don't think you get to hide behind that.

François

Postby François » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 pm

And the next time one of these assholes says "blacks and black sympathizers are literally murdering us for exercising our right to free speech", he'll be right for the first time in his life. And every neo-nazi that falls dead makes it easier for them to recruit a dozen more.

I understand the anger, but...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Yeah guys, I don't really think this is something to celebrate. Never mind grumbling about vigilantism or first amendment or whatever, mass brawls with people stabbing each other all over the damn place is a sign of shit going wrong, not right.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Hardly Ideal wrote:

Unless the government stabbed the neo-Nazis, this isn't covered by the First Amendment.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 am

oh god are we going to have to start a new board again

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 am

no godwin no cry
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:51 am

Do we have fascists on this board?

I don't think we need a new board so long as we don't have any fascists.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:13 am

I'm not super thrilled about people getting stabbed for expressing their right to speak their minds, even if their minds are sewers filled with hate. Counter rallies are a tactic as old as fucking time and normally at these things the fascists say their stupid shit, the counter rally chants loudly over them, things get pretty heated, but no one gets stabbed. I prefer that. Also upload their faces to white nationalist watch groups because if you want to come out in public and tell everyone you're a nazi that is FINE BY ME because I much prefer overt nazis (in moderation) to secret ones.

François

Postby François » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:48 am

Stabbing a Nazi in 2016 is like making fun of a clown, really. It feels superficially good but you know that's what they want. Every Nazi rally/march/protest/demonstration might as well be peppered with big signs saying "GLORIOUS WHITE MARTYR MANUFACTURE IN PROGRESS --- PLEASE BRING+USE SHARP OBJECTS --- WE CAN'T START THE RACE WAR WITHOUT U".

EDIT: Saying that, I don't mean to diminish the very real danger of white supremacists and how they make innocent people's lives miserable all over the world. They do need to be fought. Just... not like this.

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:52 am

The only way to defeat someone is to humiliate them.

That's why Trump is unstoppable; he's immune to humiliation.
the best kazz around

TA

Postby TA » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 am

François wrote:Stabbing a Nazi in 2016 is like making fun of a clown, really. It feels superficially good but you know that's what they want. Every Nazi rally/march/protest/demonstration might as well be peppered with big signs saying "GLORIOUS WHITE MARTYR MANUFACTURE IN PROGRESS --- PLEASE BRING+USE SHARP OBJECTS --- WE CAN'T START THE RACE WAR WITHOUT U".

EDIT: Saying that, I don't mean to diminish the very real danger of white supremacists and how they make innocent people's lives miserable all over the world. They do need to be fought. Just... not like this.

What'd be your preferred method? An informed debate with the people whose open argument is that you shouldn't be tolerated to exist?

François

Postby François » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:15 am

In short-term, work to make sure the law is applied properly when they commit criminal acts, and reform the law where such is required. In long-term, refuse to become who they need us to become to stay "relevant", and watch as history leaves them behind (though admittedly that's not a process likely to bear fruition in our lifetime). Recruitment goes a lot smoother when you don't have to make up external threats out of whole cloth.

I can understand one might argue that's not enough, but I'd say there is still a spectrum of sensible activism between that, and the occasional spirited mobstabbin' which is a considerable step backward every time. Whatever the solution is, it's not more shaved white 19 year olds bleeding to death on camera.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:59 am

Yeah, Nazis seem too forgettable and widely-loathed a hate group in North America to be worth our attention, much less our precious stabs. Nobody but the absolute crazies want to be associated with the ideology we fought against in World War 2, or the blatant racism we fought against during the Civil Rights Movement. They pose no actual threat.

François

Postby François » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:35 am

Case in point, I would never have heard of this Neo-Nazi march in Sacramento if there hadn't been any stabbings. The most loonytunes swastika HH groups are already marginalized in mainstream thought. They're already headed for obscurity. Yes, they still exist, yes, there are more of them than most people realize, and yes, they're still vile, they still say and do vile things. And we should suppress them and protect the targets of their hatred with the full extent of the civilized tools society puts at our disposal (including but not limited to peaceful counter-protests when appropriate), as well as reinforce those tools where necessary. But stabbin' is their game, blood on the pavement is their playground. Let's not join them there. That's where they want us.

Imagine Nazis march on a state capitol with signs and slogans. Police watch them, but nobody else gives a shit. They goosestep up and down marble steps and whatever main street there is until the evening, with their little flags and emblems, then they pile into too few pickups and SUVs and drive back home with their tails between their legs. "We sure showed 'em today, boys. We sure showed 'em." What fools they're making of themselves. What back-asswards twats, wasting their time. Yelling at clouds. They stink up the atmosphere for a bit, like a beached whale carcass, and then nature takes its course.

Man. I almost kinda want to see that.

EDIT: I'll put in a reminder here that I am occasionally subjected to anti-semitic tirades by strangers passing me in the street, so it's not like I'm operating under any rose-tinted illusions that racism as a whole is dead or dying or trivial to endure stoically. It sucks balls, and I'm not actually Jewish so I know I'm not even getting close to the full effect.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16 am

TA wrote:What'd be your preferred method? An informed debate with the people whose open argument is that you shouldn't be tolerated to exist?

You know, most people would make the "there are some viewpoints so absurd it's not worth even engaging with them" argument before the "you should be able to stab people for being assholes" one.