Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:11 am

Just the headline:
Hours after finishing in second place on The Masked Singer, former Dukes of Hazzard star John Schneider called for the execution of Jeff Bidet on social media

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:28 am

His defense is seriously "I didn't threaten to hang him, I just said I think he should be hanged."

I'm sure that'll go over great with the Secret Service when they come by to have a chat with him.

(It's notable, of course, that Trump pulls this exact move all the time, with varying degrees of success.)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:43 am

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:29 am

sorry folks, but i don't think biden even PLAYS minecraft

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:49 am

beatbandito wrote:

He's not kidding. He hammered Abe Lincoln in the ass so much that he died of being hammered in the ass.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:52 am

NY is a suicide pact now?

(I know it's a tweet, but the video is legit; it's just the only current alternate sources are the full 1h+ vid of the town hall)

Like seriously what is it with New Yorkers and electing the weirdest possible motherfuckers (and not weird in a good way).

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:44 pm

"What a cop thing to say."
—Kylie

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:13 pm

I honestly have no idea where to put this, but I feel like it's most relevant in Corncob. Could go in jernalism, but I feel like that thread's more about mocking BAD journalism.

Bellingcat: How to Maintain Mental Hygiene as an Open Source Researcher

Bellingcat's researchers, like many journalists, frequently encounter graphic and traumatizing content online. Understanding that open-source journalism often involves the efforts of people without professional training or supports, they share here their methods for dealing with that in a responsible and mindful way.

The title doesn't really reflect the potential audience though, it's not just for journalists or amateur researchers; it's very good general advice for people who for one reason or another find themselves looking at particularly horrible media online. No specific examples are given and the article appears to have been written with trigger avoidance in mind, so it should be safe reading for everyone.

The tl;dr is "No, you do not in fact need to bear witness to everything, even if you feel morally compelled to do so." which is something I'd already bumbled my way into figuring out accidentally over the years, but the article has other relevant things to add to that. It also provides a fair amount of specific concrete advice on avoidance and mitigation techniques and tools.

Personally, I really appreciate the thoughtfulness in their having assembled and published this.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:26 am

Yakuza boss caught trying to sell Burmese plutonium to Iran

Apparently Burmese is still the correct demonym. Huh.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:51 pm

I read yesterday that one of the ten Confederate-named facilities/ships the US military is looking to rename is Fort Hood (Hood being even more of an incompetent blowhard than your average reb general, and not even a real Texan), in Texas. The near-universal suggestion is to rename it Fort Benavidez in honour of this guy.

I don't know that I would call it a hobby exactly, but one of the easiest ways for me to get lost in the wikihole is to hang around and read citations for various countries' highest honours, so I've read quite a lot of these. Not to say you get jaded , but some feature notably more mind-boggling divine-intervention saving throws than others. Benavidez's story, in addition to just being plain insane even by most Medal of Honour-level gallantry citations, is one of, if not the most definitive examples of actual IRL Shonen-protagonist displays of willpower I've ever seen, and what could be more Texan than that?

Do it do it do it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:06 am

'That's news to me': Montreal man gets letter from Quebec government saying he's legally dead

These are the sort of societal failures I can get behind (as long as they don't turn into some sort of Doc Daneeka nightmare).

sei

Postby sei » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:14 pm

Mongrel wrote:'That's news to me': Montreal man gets letter from Quebec government saying he's legally dead

These are the sort of societal failures I can get behind (as long as they don't turn into some sort of Doc Daneeka nightmare).

I mean...

How a 'NULL' License Plate Landed One Hacker in Ticket Hell

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:29 pm

sei wrote:
Mongrel wrote:'That's news to me': Montreal man gets letter from Quebec government saying he's legally dead

I mean...

How a 'NULL' License Plate Landed One Hacker in Ticket Hell

2019... hm. I wonder if that guy relinquished his colossally bad idea or is sticking by it to this day.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:34 pm

I mean come on we all know the correct move is to get a vanity plate of "NOBODY" so that when the DMV tries to bill you the other governments agencies tell it that it cannot because of the will of the gods
ImageImageImage

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:17 pm

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/m ... r-1991632/

A Texas man died after hitting a bridge while doing a viral TikTok dance on top of an 18-wheeler as it zoomed down the highway.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:25 am

Friday wrote:I mean come on we all know the correct move is to get a vanity plate of "NOBODY" so that when the DMV tries to bill you the other governments agencies tell it that it cannot because of the will of the gods

Polyphemus as a traffic cop, growing increasingly exasperated

sei

Postby sei » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:19 pm

Caithness wrote:https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/man-dies-after-hitting-bridge-while-doing-tiktok-dance-on-top-of-18-wheeler-1991632/

A Texas man died after hitting a bridge while doing a viral TikTok dance on top of an 18-wheeler as it zoomed down the highway.

Peak Darwin Award behavior.