Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Blossom

Re: Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Postby Blossom » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Mazian wrote:armchair-lawyering

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:18 pm

I'd make a joke about the difference between that source and posts on a back-alley message board but, well, knowing your sources the point would probably be lost.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 pm

TA wrote:
Mazian wrote:armchair-lawyering

When you quote exactly two words of a post out of their original context, there is exactly one person who believes you have just cleverly proven something.

patito

Postby patito » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 pm

As better people than me have pointed out, it doesn't matter if it was lawful, it's still isn't a thing that should be happening.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Maybe we can all just just cool it for now.

Anyway, this developing story is bad as it is and may get a lot worse, depending on how the facts fall: Report: Body of country's first female Muslim judge found in Hudson River (via The Hill)

The New York Post is tentatively reporting it as a suicide, but this is unconfirmed and without further details.

Could have gone in half a dozen threads, but enough is unknown that I don't reliably know which one yet, so here it is.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:02 pm

That's really bad.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:59 am

This is absolutely fucked.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:35 pm

I laughed way too hard at this:

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:42 pm

My beautiful grandson Chad walked into my room and completely out of the blue said "Life is like a dream grandma, it's beautiful and people should be nice to each other" love him he gives my life meaning

My beautiful grandson Chad walked into the den this morning and completely out of the blue said "Grandma I love life" he is so pure and innocent he gives my life meaning

My beautiful grandson Chad walked into my room last night and from the complete blue said "Grandma people should be nice to each other because life is so beautiful" he is so wise for his 6 years of age love him

My beautiful grandson Chad completely out of the blue this afternoon in the kitchen said "Grandma how come there is war? Who would want to kill another person we are so beautiful" such a wise child at only 6 years of age but he is so wise I love him

My grandson Chad at a beautiful age 6 said to me the other day "Grandma look at the sky, it's so beautiful, just like life" he is so grown up and wise sometimes he gives my life meaning

My grandson, Chad, who is beautiful said to me just now "Grandma how come you spend so much time on the computer, you should spend it outside where it is beautiful" such a wise child and only 6 years of age!!!!! he gives my life meaning

My beautiful grandson Chad said to me "If God isn't real then how come rainbows exist? Who would love them if not for God?" he is so beautiful and wise

My little Chad, my grandson who is only 6, came up to me and completely out of the blue said "I bet the sky is blue because of God's love for us and blue is the most lovely color" such a wise beautiful child we could learn a lot from him

My lovely beautiful Chad said to me completely out of the blue "Grandma how come people hurt each other? life is so beautiful" he is so wise and he gives me meaning
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:44 pm

My beautiful grandson Chad at the tender of age of only 6 said completely out of the blue in my room "Grandma how come life is so beautiful? it must be because god loves us" he is so wise
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:44 pm

YO DAWG CHAD CAME INTO MY FUCKIN' ROOM AND SAID OUT OF FUCKIN' NOWHERE "BITCH YOU AIN'T SHIT" HE RIGHT THO
ImageImageImage

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:04 pm

I was expecting a tangerine at the end of that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:31 am

The WGA just authorized a strike, by a 96.3% margin.

Mark Evanier's written a few posts about strike authorization:
Authorize While The Iron Is Hot
WGA Strike (?) News
From the E-Mailbag…

To summarize: authorizing by an overwhelming margin (say, 96.3%) puts the writers in a strong negotiating position. It demonstrates that they're unified, they're not bluffing, and they're absolutely prepared to strike if the studios give them a bad offer.

There's no strike yet; this was just a vote to allow the leadership to call a strike if they don't get a good offer.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

So, has anyone else heard of this Juicero thing? Super-expensive, over-engineered juicer that works only marginally better than squeezing the pre-packaged juice pulp with your hands. Kind of a laughing stock in tech circles these days.

And then Ivanka goes and endorses the thing on Twitter.

I only heard about this like two days ago, and already my brain is trying to crawl out of my head and throw itself off the roof.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:56 am

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:13 am

Hardly Ideal wrote:So, has anyone else heard of this Juicero thing? Super-expensive, over-engineered juicer that works only marginally better than squeezing the pre-packaged juice pulp with your hands. Kind of a laughing stock in tech circles these days.

And then Ivanka goes and endorses the thing on Twitter.

I only heard about this like two days ago, and already my brain is trying to crawl out of my head and throw itself off the roof.

Well, the tweet with her endorsement is from March of 2016, so it was like a year before this most recent shitshow.

But boy howdy what a shitshow it is. I think my favorite part of the whole Juicero thing is the fact that you need to "cloudsync" before inserting the bag into the squeezamahooger, a process that "can take upwards of a minute." Like, your juice-squeezer needs to be steadily synced to the cloud before allowing you to scan your next one-glass, expires-within-6-days bag of juice.

Shipments of new juice bags also seem to only come in packs of four, I guess because the expiration is so near to when you get the bags, so unboxing new juice bags and sending back the old ones would be a bi-weekly thing, if you intended to only have one glass of juice per day.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:54 am

Also, the company is furious that people are jailbreaking the system by squeezing the juice out manually.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Which you might have to do, because the Juicero scans the QR code on the back of the pouch for authenticity and expiration date, and will refuse to press your juice if it's one minute past the date.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread, but that's one of the things that's really making me nervous about this whole "internet of things" business: will companies be able to fuck with how I use my products?

I heard on the radio some time ago about someone who got a fancy litter box for their cat. Did all sorts of things like scoop itself and spray the litter with some odor-killing liquid. The trouble started when people found out how to make their own knock-off solution and refill the pricey cartridges, or at least they thought they could. It turned out the box had some kind of RFID reader for the cartridges that tracked how much of the solution was used, so it'd stop working until you replaced it with a new cartridge. When people finally read the fine print on the thing, it seemed like you don't "own" it but rather are licensed with the privilege of using it. Remember, this is a damn litter box we're talking about.

And it looks like it's a trend in lots of places. Music sharing is kind of already there, and I remember hearing about auto companies trying that kind of thing. Hell, I just about laid an egg when I downloaded a PS4 game and found my wife wouldn't be able to play it as she hadn't purchased it. Romo eventually saved the day by finding some obscure sharing option in the system settings, but it was still an awful jolt.

Just today, the new Gorillaz album came out and I realized I'm not sure where to buy music anymore. Like, on an actual physical compact disc. I mean, part of it has to do with my driving a nine-year-old car that doesn't have an AUX/USB port. But another is this weird new anxiety over corporate meddling with something I presumed I owned. I'm not usually that guy ranting about like, the corporations are keepin' the little guy down, man, but... *anxious shrug*
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts