Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Mongrel

Re: Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Büge wrote:
Thad wrote:
Brentai wrote:If you have heard the Good Word you're beholden to spread it as much as possible, so in effect it's a kind of spiritually corrupting viral meme. You know, like Goatse.cx.

Right, it's a central tenant of evangelism that you need to, well, evangelize. It's not enough to live according to the moral principles of your faith; you're morally obligated to make sure everybody else does, too. To save them.

*tenet

:thad:

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Even assuming the theology is correct for the sake of argument, it's a Hell of a Trolley Problem (heh) if there are any middle ground afterlives like Limbo, or even simple oblivion, for those that never hear the Good Word. Is it a cut and dried moral obligation if you end up saving one soul at the expense of damning six? It's only clean cut if Hell is the default destination for everyone but the Saved, but if that's how it works I'd argue the moral obligation is in fact to tear God from his throne, seek a replacement and bust everyone out.

... That would make a pretty awesome metroidvania backstory. Set up the big bad campaigning to do exactly this, she can justify any atrocity on the basis that no horrors she inflicts are as bad as what already awaits everyone, and she's going to make everything right when she rules the next world in any case. And then the whole sorry cycle starts again, naturally.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:21 pm

Middle grounds are a later contrivance. Evangelicals tend to be literalists and in that context salvation through Jesus is the only route to Heaven and away from Hell.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:08 am

Mongrel wrote:
Büge wrote:
Thad wrote:
Brentai wrote:If you have heard the Good Word you're beholden to spread it as much as possible, so in effect it's a kind of spiritually corrupting viral meme. You know, like Goatse.cx.

Right, it's a central tenant of evangelism that you need to, well, evangelize. It's not enough to live according to the moral principles of your faith; you're morally obligated to make sure everybody else does, too. To save them.

*tenet

:thad:

Totally earned that one.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:50 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Definitely worth following through to the article. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/worl ... onary.html I've seen a few people saying he was an insulated pretty white kid with no concept that reality can fuck you up for real, but he straight-up thought he was living in some cartoon world where an arrow does 1d6 cinematic damage and then everyone sits down and talks it out instead of, eg, loosing more arrows until you stop moving.
Friends said he did not expect to die and had taken all precautions he could think of to survive, including packing what he called an “initial contact response kit” with dental forceps to remove arrows.

Also this in the responses:

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:42 am

The only thing I care about is I hope he didn't infect them with anything before he died. "First one to heaven wins" indeed. He knew all the risks to their health and went anyway? Jesus fucking christ Hail Satan! This wasn't JUST a blind fool. He knew the risks (to them) and fucking went in anyway.

Considering how isolated their immune systems are and that the common cold could literally cause them go extinct (facts that HE KNEW), I'd say that warning away and then literally killing anyone who doesn't heed your warnings and sets foot on your island is only logical.

I mean, they don't know that. Or hell first one to heaven, maybe they do. Considering all the previous encounters with other people that they know about have resulted in death, disease, and kidnapping.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Incels finally find a way to fuck twitch thots. The article is kind of meh but the most mainstream source I could find to link.

The #ThotAudit (thaudit if ya nasty) is basically a bunch of reddit and 4chan nerds doxing the girls they've been donating their own paychecks to, to the IRS for not paying taxes on premium snapchat revenue and the like.

I don't know why this interests me so much, it's just the silliness of it all. There's nothing inherently wrong with the "audit", it's certainly sexist in targeting, but we already know incels are terrible. If the worst outcome is some people paying taxes they already should have been, I don't feel too guilty sitting back and enjoying this one from the spectator seats.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:48 pm

The way you worded that I thought you meant Twitch finally broke down and started a mass pityfucking campaign.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Your sig makes that comment 1000% better

TA

Postby TA » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:18 pm

beatbandito wrote:Incels finally find a way to fuck twitch thots. The article is kind of meh but the most mainstream source I could find to link.

The #ThotAudit (thaudit if ya nasty) is basically a bunch of reddit and 4chan nerds doxing the girls they've been donating their own paychecks to, to the IRS for not paying taxes on premium snapchat revenue and the like.

I don't know why this interests me so much, it's just the silliness of it all. There's nothing inherently wrong with the "audit", it's certainly sexist in targeting, but we already know incels are terrible. If the worst outcome is some people paying taxes they already should have been, I don't feel too guilty sitting back and enjoying this one from the spectator seats.

I mean, if it's sexist in targeting and being promoted by incels, then it is inherently wrong.

Like, it matters that the cops only ever stop-and-frisk black people looking for drugs and weapons, even if they very occasionally do find drugs and weapons.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Also its specifically targeting sex workers because what they're doing is wrong and immoral, and like, fuck you if you think what a person does with their body is any of your fucking business. (not YOU 'you', i'm talking about the incels)

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Considering that these guys are 1) self-admitted johns and 2) probably not on the IRS ledger themselves I'd say that they're sitting in some pretty fucking brittle houses. And they've reached out to a highly motivated enforcement agency.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 am

Image: Cardiac patient coughed up a huge blood clot that perfectly replicates the airways of his lung

It's legit. Full article's up in the New England Journal of Medicine if you want to check there and see the details.

Guy died a week later anyway though (he had major cardiac issues). Jeez. :(

TA

Postby TA » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:09 pm

... I would LOVE if that giant blood clot picture was under a link, buddy.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 pm

no problemo amigo

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Endangered Hawaiian monk seals keep getting eels stuck up their noses and scientists want them to stop

“It almost does feel like one of those teenage trends that happen,” he said. “One juvenile seal did this very stupid thing and now the others are trying to mimic it.”

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Possibly intentional, but maybe even just a classic dumb goof - either way, ahahaha.