The Democrats Will Also Shit Themselves.

Thad

Re: The... *Democrats* will eat themselves?

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Brentai wrote:Do you guys WANT more Howard Schultzes?

Even worse.

They want more Joe Liebermans.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:21 pm

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Well if that doesn't clench my calves.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:37 pm

One victim has written an article about Jeff Bidet's tendencies to get sniffy and gropey with young women and girls, especially young politicians who need his endorsement. Creepy Uncle Joe been written many times before, and many of those times are linked in the article, but maybe this time it'll stick.

Coming on the heels of his "It's a damn shame that Anita Hill didn't get a fair hearing, and I wish there was literally anything I could have done about that." tweet the other day, this ... ugh. Probably still won't mean a damn thing.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 am

I like to think Franken's ouster indicates that a long history of groping women really can kill a political career (as long as you're a Democrat), but...who the fuck knows, really. Franken was pushed out by pressure within Congress (mostly from women like Gillibrand), not by voters, and even that has proven controversial because people are terrible.

The headlines sure ain't looking great for Uncle Joe just at present. I think he had a way to spin this story toward some kind of redemption narrative (and I think his dumb Anita Hill comments have been an attempt at that), but...the headline at CNN right now is Biden responds to Lucy Flores' allegation, says 'not once' does he believe he acted inappropriately, and that's not generally how you do a redemption narrative.

I've been thinking that, in the age of Trump, voters will probably care less about the dumb stuff Biden says than they did during his previous campaigns, but more about his groping. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me that the next logical step was "say dumb stuff about groping."

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:13 am

The only reason I ever believed that Biden had a chance in the primary is because he's the person who'd most get eaten alive by Donald Trump.

Which means his chances have probably improved now if anything.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:15 pm

Name recognition matters. That's not the *only* reason that Biden and Sanders are leading in the polls and Donald Trump is president, but it's a significant one.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm

I keep seeing Beto being compared to Bobby Kennedy and it's making me nauseous.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:22 pm

welp

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:24 pm

I mean, it's Biden. We're going to stop hearing from him soon enough the way he's been going.

Postby Newbie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Meanwhile at work today Salesforce volunteered this Fox Business article which purports that a majority of investors consider Biden the only acceptable democratic candidate.
tiny text

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:03 pm

"Old white people that don't like change rooting for the old white guy that won't change much."

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Well, investors with the Royal Bank of Canada anyway.

They also think 71% that Trump will win so their opinion is... hm... actually... Warren was voted least acceptable by 51%. Hey, now there's some useful information.

Cait

Postby Cait » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:09 pm

I know a couple of weeks ago, I was out in the front room when the local Sinclair station had their Russian asset guy on being a Very Serious Pundit about how the only hope Democrats had was to nominate a Very Serious person like Biden.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:09 pm

<Doug> Democrats ask how to reach white males
<Doug> https://apnews.com/79fefc13c5a54b089da12c7007e98ac8
<Rooser> [jazzhands]Democrats[/jazzhands]
<QED2> well if they want to know how to reach white females they can just ask biden

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:34 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Reminder: still happening.

Cory Doctorow wrote: Dan Lipiniski is the worst Democrat in Congress, a man who literally inherited his seat from his father and has spent his career in Congress opposing minimum wage laws, access to abortion, and rights for LGBTQ people, taking massive contributions from literal railbarons in exchange for fighting railroad safety rules.

Lipinski sits in one of the Democrats' safest seats, meaning whomever wins the Democratic primary in his Illinois district automatically gets sent to Congress, so the only way to oust him is to defeat him in a primary race.

Enter the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, who have banned any primary challenges to any sitting Democrat in 2020, with a policy that says that no DCCC-backed candidate may procure services from consultants or suppliers who work on a primary challenge.

The DCCC and the Democratic establishment have a long history of backing Lipinski, and in 2018, they helped fend off a primary challenge by Marie Newman (@Marie4Congress, donate here), a progressive, small-money-backed Democrat.

Newman (whose 2018 challenge fell short by 2.2%) wants to challenge Lipinski in 2020, and the DCCC has already begun to sabotage her campaign. Last week, Campaign Pro's Laura Barrón-López announced that she was quitting Newman's campaign because of pressure from the DCCC. Newman has also lost the services of two mail firms because of the DCCC's ban.

(links omitted by copy-paste.)

Don't donate to the DCCC. If they ask you for a donation, tell them this is why you will not give them one.

Donate to individual candidates and campaigns. If you donate to the DCCC, you're donating to candidates like Lipiniski.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:25 pm

I have some opinions about Pelosi's continued dithering on impeachment, but expressing them is bad for my blood pressure.

I'll try and express a couple key points without getting too worked up.

One: it's true that only a minority of Americans support impeachment. But that minority is nearly double the proportion that supported impeachment when the House opened an impeachment inquiry into Nixon. Impeachment is far more popular, and the president is far less popular, than in 1973. While I respect the argument that the House shouldn't vote to impeach until a majority of the public supports it, it's the House's job to *convince* the public. Democrats need to lead, not follow.

Two: We are where we are because Democrats chose not to hold Bush accountable. When there's no accountability for President Bush, the result is President Trump. I don't know what the result is when there's no accountability for President Trump, but at the rate we're going, I think we're going to find out.

The electoral college isn't going away. The Senate isn't going away. Voter disenfranchisement continues apace. There's a very real possibility that Trump gets reelected. Even if he doesn't, there's a very real possibility that our next Republican president will be just as rotten as Trump and more competent. And if that's the case, then that future president is out there, right now, watching everything Trump does and watching him get away with it.

François

Postby François » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:08 pm

Trump mails a box of his shit to Congress. Nobody says or does anything.

When Nancy Pelosi is asked why she hasn't taken action to at least get the shit removed, she answers: "we can't have the box removed without the Senate's approval, and the Republicans are just going to say it's full of delicious brownies, so why bother?"

But I say, goddammit, challenge them to eat the shit. Make them dig in barehanded and stuff that crap in their mouths. Make them put their best smile on and lick it off their fingers. Make them say they've never had such good brownies while they're eating literal old man turds on TV.

It won't knock Trump out of the White House but it'll make Republicans eat shit and that's the next best fucking thing.

But no, no, that can't happen, for Some Fucking Reason. The shit just sits there, stinking up the joint. And that smell is never going away.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:46 pm

There's some encouraging news today that swing-district Democratic freshmen are shifting toward supporting impeachment as a result of Trump's latest Ukraine fuckery, and this could be a tipping point that forces Pelosi's hand. I'll believe it when I see it -- but even seeing the media report it like that is an encouraging change of pace.

Pressure is mounting, and it's a good idea to keep it on. My rep has already come out in favor of impeachment, but anybody out there with a Democratic rep who hasn't, now might be a good time to contact them. (There may even be a few more Republicans who can be persuaded -- fuck Amash on every other issue, but as far as supporting impeachment, I'll accept him as an ally like those episodes where He-Man reluctantly accepts help from Skeletor to fight Hordak.)