Inspirational tales of Glorious Unfettered Capitalism

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Inspirational tales of Glorious Unfettered Capitalism

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:09 am

I mean, we're still catching up to Gatchas. Getting pretty close though.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:01 am

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:17 am

Yeah the only game I play right now with MTX shit in it actively is Marvel Snap, and they crank that dial toward being worse about once every two or three months despite literally selling themselves as "the card game with no way to pay to win" (they have gone back and removed all advertising making this claim).

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:17 pm

Nothing too big or relevant, but Panera founder surprised to find workers aren't motivated to make money for shareholders.

Y'ever wish you could just grab someone by the shoulders and just shake 'em really really hard?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:18 pm

not when I could Shawn Michaels Sweet Chin Music 'em

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 pm

I want to see interest in making money for shareholders vs. wanting to kill someone with lemonade.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:49 pm

Yoji wrote:Nothing too big or relevant, but Panera founder surprised to find workers aren't motivated to make money for shareholders.

Y'ever wish you could just grab someone by the shoulders and just shake 'em really really hard?

I mean, the point of the article is that he gets that, not that he's surprised by that.

that very article wrote:At least one founder and former CEO agrees that the idea of boosting shareholders' returns isn't likely to be a key motivator to workers. Ron Shaich, Panera Bread's founder and former longtime CEO, has stressed how important it is for management and members of the C-suite to empathize with their employees and better understand what can get their buy-in to the company's mission.

"No employee ever wakes up and says, 'I'm so excited. I made another penny a share today for Panera's shareholders,'" Shaich told Business Insider in an interview. "Nobody cares. You don't care whether your CEO comes or goes."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:24 am

Mazian wrote:
Yoji wrote:Nothing too big or relevant, but Panera founder surprised to find workers aren't motivated to make money for shareholders.

I mean, the point of the article is that he gets that, not that he's surprised by that.

that very article wrote:At least one founder and former CEO agrees that the idea of boosting shareholders' returns isn't likely to be a key motivator to workers. Ron Shaich, Panera Bread's founder and former longtime CEO, has stressed how important it is for management and members of the C-suite to empathize with their employees and better understand what can get their buy-in to the company's mission.

"No employee ever wakes up and says, 'I'm so excited. I made another penny a share today for Panera's shareholders,'" Shaich told Business Insider in an interview. "Nobody cares. You don't care whether your CEO comes or goes."

I saw that too, but at the same time he seems to think he can make some money selling a clue to CEOs at large. Not that that's proof of anything, but it's not a huge leap from applying the assumption to him to instead applying it broadly to C-suite suits.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:03 pm

WB in talks to purchase Paramount.

Because the guy who keeps canceling Scooby-Doo, Batman, and Looney Tunes and then wondering why kids aren't interested in his streaming app is definitely who you want running Nickelodeon.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:13 pm

Actual product coming to, I dunno... a gas station? near you!

Remember kids: You don't need Large Brains to have a good time!

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:10 pm

That's gross but nowhere near as bad as them terminating their entire staff
signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:36 pm

Not surprising given they were already using AI to barf up narticles.

(That's what I'm gonna call 'em)

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:34 am

Microsoft lays off 1900 Activision-Blizzard and Xbox employees

Makes sense, they did just spend $69 billion to get Activision-Blizzard and someone has to be let go so they could pay Bobby Kotick several hundred million to leave
signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:12 pm

I feel bad for the staff, which is the most relevant point. On the other hand, "Oh no, there goes the quality of Blizzard games!" is somewhat less compelling.

Some of the luckier among those laid off staff might end up offering something nice though, so wish 'em luck (and wish 'em luck in any case).

In a broader sense, these waves of tech layoffs actually signal how dead the tech and IT sectors are and just how poor the leadership is. An entire industry's leadership are basically admitting to shareholders that they are dullards with no ideas left with which to pursue future profits - no plans, no vision, nothing - and this is the only thing they can think of to claw out more money for the machine.