Bezos is Richer Than Creosote

Mongrel

Bezos is Richer Than Creosote

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:55 pm

We have a Google thread, so how about an Amazon thread?

Mongrel

Re: Bezos is Richer Than Creosote

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:10 pm

By the way, you may have seen headlines that Bezos is "The Richest Man in Modern History" (hence the thread title).

Strictly speaking, this is inaccurate clickbait (imagine that), as it only reflects the Forbes lists compiled since 1987. In reality, he "only" is seventh among all figures of the last 500-600 years (which is about as far back as we can go and still get concrete, inflation-adjustable figures), after Henry Ford in 6th place.

But the robber barons have been back for a decade or two now, baby. There's no denying it.

And while some, like Gates and Buffet are at least committed to giving all or most of their money away, Bezos has no such weakness. Oh sure, there's a little charity for the look of the thing but hearing those words, "Richest dude" what what was really important.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Yeah, Amazon's been doing some truly awful shit over the past few years, but when this went down, holy hell was that a new low:

Really starting to grate on my conscious to still be at AR after this shit. I'd probably leave if: [A] I wasn't so sure finding a similar job at this level would be a nightmare, and [B] it wasn't so painfully clear that the entire certification system I've built over the past two years would fall apart if I left to the people who would take my place. I need to get them self-sufficient.

Any time someone from corporate tries to float some kind of marketing horseshit about being "proud of what Amazon has accomplished" it is the height of comedy.

François

Postby François » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Amazon is as close to an AAA corp from Shadowrun as we've ever seen in real life. It's a hair from extraterroriality by now, and one might argue it doesn't even need it.

Cait

Postby Cait » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Just as an aside, the image in the first post is quite thoroughly fake.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:27 am

Mothra wrote:Really starting to grate on my conscious to still be at AR after this shit. I'd probably leave if: [A] I wasn't so sure finding a similar job at this level would be a nightmare, and [B] it wasn't so painfully clear that the entire certification system I've built over the past two years would fall apart if I left to the people who would take my place. I need to get them self-sufficient.

Any time someone from corporate tries to float some kind of marketing horseshit about being "proud of what Amazon has accomplished" it is the height of comedy.

Have you vested yet?

Besides which, if you really wanted to sabotage Amazon, I suppose leaving and letting the cert fall apart would be a small blow. But I suppose it might just end up with murder stockbots running a lot of warehouse employees down.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:20 am

Having their certification program get fucked up would accomplish nothing but make it even more dangerous for warehouse workers, who, while AR tried to get things worked out, would just be doing things quickly and sloppily to meet their rates, with no enforced safety standard to make them take precautions and avoid hazards.

There's value in staying long enough to make sure this certification program is a success and is enforced, since it's one of the only things the larger corporation will let me put between laborers and their precious pick/stow rates.

Anyways I don't want to get into it more in this public thread.