"Unrest In the Middle East" - a valid headline for over 2000 years.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: "Unrest In the Middle East" - a valid headline for over 2000 years.

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:58 am

Just a little thing, but interesting all the same (I am biased, of course): Only 40% of Iranians now identify as Muslims

For obvious reasons, the survey had to pull some interesting tricks to get a good sampling, but from what I can tell it was as sound a poll as it could be under the circumstances.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:11 pm

(I guess this thread is okay for Gaza/Palestine talk?)

I don't listen to the radio much anymore, so I'm not sure if anyone else has heard how an Air Force service member (spoiling for violence)fucking lit himself on fire in front of the Israeli embassy in DC and later died as a protest against the genocide in Palestine

I know the mainstream press hasn't talked as much as it should about what's going on over there, and I'd like to think this would shock them out of it. But I thought I read somewhere that this might not even be the first time this happened during this latest conflict??

It already has a Wikipedia article, but I can't spoiler links without it showing through the blackout bar.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:54 pm

From the wikipedia article:

After igniting himself, Bushnell repeatedly shouted "Free Palestine!" as he was burning, until he collapsed to the ground.[2][3][14][15] The security officer radioed in for assistance. A police officer approached the scene, aiming a gun at Bushnell off-camera and ordered him to "get on the ground" multiple times, while another officer yells "I don't need guns, I need fire extinguishers".

hahahah i fucking love cops
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:02 pm

Yoji wrote:(I guess this thread is okay for Gaza/Palestine talk?)

I don't listen to the radio much anymore, so I'm not sure if anyone else has heard how an Air Force service member (spoiling for violence)fucking lit himself on fire in front of the Israeli embassy in DC and later died as a protest against the genocide in Palestine

I know the mainstream press hasn't talked as much as it should about what's going on over there, and I'd like to think this would shock them out of it. But I thought I read somewhere that this might not even be the first time this happened during this latest conflict??

It already has a Wikipedia article, but I can't spoiler links without it showing through the blackout bar.

Yeah there was one a few months ago. :(

There hasn't been much talk about it because... well you know what, I won't assume, other than to say it's grim shit. But from any allusions or oblique mentions I've seen from you guys or the way anyone here already referred to the Israel-Palestine dynamic prior to October 6th, I suspect we all share basically the same position.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:13 pm

Friday wrote:A police officer approached the scene, aiming a gun at Bushnell off-camera and ordered him to "get on the ground" multiple times, while another officer yells "I don't need guns, I need fire extinguishers".

hahahah i fucking love cops

They really do have no other language besides violence, do they? Like, the only tool they reach for to fix things is something made explicitly to break things.

Mongrel wrote:There hasn't been much talk about it because... well you know what, I won't assume, other than to say it's grim shit. But from any allusions or oblique mentions I've seen from you guys or the way anyone here already referred to the Israel-Palestine dynamic prior to October 6th, I suspect we all share basically the same position.

It feels like a hot take these days, but I'm generally opposed to children being blown to smithereens for any reason. Generally something that should be avoided at all costs, y'know?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:28 pm

"to smithereens" is the worst way to get blown for adults, too

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:48 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:49 pm

and once, he smoked pot
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:13 am

"Yeah? So what?"

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:12 am

"He was no angel."