The Brexit Boondoggle

mharr

Re: The Brexit Boondoggle

Postby mharr » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:57 pm

It's almost a relief to be able to hate and dismiss them again. I was going to swallow the bile and nail their colours to the mast. Hahahanope.

Zara, that is the best one line description of UK politics logically possible.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 am

It's actually amazing how often Starscream is relevant.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:19 am

That's the funny thing about cartoon villains. Most everyone understands that cartoon villains are caricatures of the way real assholes act, sure. But it's too easy to think of them as tropes when the caricatures are actually quite mild, if caricatures at all.

Cartoon villains, as an overall archetype, were laid down by people who starved and suffered their way through the First Gilded Age, all the way into Cold War, an era encompassing The Depression and both World wars, to say nothing of any number lesser miserable events. Those artists and writers knew as much as anyone of their era that such assholes are very real.

For a while there, from the 80's onward, assholes got better press, be it professional PR (for the rich and white, this was a natural extension of things like the Southern Strategy), or the actual embrace of villainous values through Reagan-type Social Darwinist arguments, which as we know, became so pervasive that even the Left embraced them until recently (and many still do).

But assholes have stopped caring about pretending to not be assholes, so for some folks it's a brusque reminder that there's no shortage of actual humans (I use the term purely scientifically here...) every bit as bad (and ridiculous) as our Snidley Whiplashes and Starscreams.

Well, that's what I figure, anyway.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:59 pm

It's not that we don't expect people to be as malicious as Skeletor or worse, it's just that we expect real people to be a bit more complicated. But technology has made things easy enough that a completely two-dimensional, instinct driven homo erectus can buy a computer program that makes him seem like he has some sort deeper motivation or plan. It's the Xanatizer 5000.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm *this close* to a lengthy digression on Starscream's arc in Till All Are One, but I realize it's not strictly pertinent and that's not the Starscream we're talking about.

It may be interesting to observe, though, that '80s kids have grown up into fans who expect characters like Starscream and Megatron to be complex and multilayered, even as we see real-life villains become ever more cartoonish and two-dimensional.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm

I was promised a real adulthood and if the world won't let me have one then I'm just going to have to create my own.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:06 pm

I have another metaphor

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 pm

I mean, this is sort of like the leaked information that proves the NRA literally hands out scripts to its spokespeople to read from after mass shootings

No duh, but I guess it's nice to have to shove in the face of fucking idiots
ImageImageImage

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:45 am

But they have to keep going now otherwise they'll look very embarrassed by it all for backing out.

François

Postby François » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:12 am

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:26 pm

I remain hopeful that the world learns from a no-deal Brexit. This can include Britain too.

Basically, I want everyone to see what happens when you go full protectionist anti-refugee.

I feel bad about the people who will suffer, and the people who will die (and there will be people who die, as a direct result of medicine/food shortages) but the world really needs concrete, direct examples of why building a fucking wall around your nation and hanging a "keep out" sign is a bad idea.

This is why I'm actually against a deal-Brexit. I don't want it to look like doing this shit can work out. I either want them to stay in the EU and drop Brexit entirely, or crash as hard as possible.

Maybe that's wrong and a no-deal Brexit will only inspire other nations to do the same, regardless of how much damage it inflicts on the people of Britain. I really fucking hope not.
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Stepping outside the world and viewing it dispassionately I agree, except I have several loved ones I cannot afford to rescue numbered among those who might die.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Yeah, I'm aware it's an extremely cold take. For the record I vastly prefer a "actually nevermind, fuck Brexit entirely, stay in the EU" result.

I'm just really afraid of deal-Brexit sort of kind of working and then other dickheads pointing at it as an example of how actually being a isolationist nationalist country is fine.

But if somehow deal-Brexit results in less death and suffering but also serves as a warning, then okay.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Or, put another way, if there's any upside to no-deal Brexit, (and this would be the only possible upside) it's "maybe the world will learn something from it."

I mean, that may be too hopeful. Human beings, if nothing else, have historically proven that they don't learn jack shit from, well, anything. I should probably just hope for the least amount of death and misery right now.
ImageImageImage

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Friday wrote:I mean, that may be too hopeful. Human beings, if nothing else, have historically proven that they don't learn jack shit from, well, anything.

We're still trying to figure out, less than a century later, if Nazis are bad. If 80-something years of books, movies, and Ken Burns multi-part documentaries on the subject haven't made that crystal clear to anyone with a pair of neurons to rub together, then... fuck, man, I don't know.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:12 pm

I've learned not to hope for the worst most destructive possible outcome thinking it'll be a hidden blessing, because as it turns out these things don't usually cause some cataclysmic event that everybody learns and rebuilds from, it just accelerates any existing decay and normalizes a new low for the human condition.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Yeah, you're probably right. I should reframe my hope to "if deal happens, then I hope people see the bad shit anyway."
ImageImageImage

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:26 pm

To be fair, I think "Don't assume everybody will learn better from experiencing the worst outcome" is something that we've learned from experiencing the worst outcome.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm

In any case, it seems like any deal which would genuinely prevent potential disaster would have to functionally amount to "Remain in the EU", or at the very, very least "Remain in the Common Market".