Adventures of the Longest Muskrat

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Adventures of the Longest Muskrat

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:57 am

There is also very much the thorny issue of Actual Sociopathy.

Not all of this behaviour is learned, sometimes it really is substantially genetic. In Musk's case, his family appears to mostly be awful people as well, but even they have found themselves unnerved and bewildered by Elon on many occasions.

In Trump's case, there's a measure of it which clearly appears to be something which runs in his family and has for some time, though in that case it's harder to separate nurture from nature.

There are various ways to encourage sociopathic people to fit in in spite of their callousness (and it's not a black/white thing, it can be a spectrum where you are broadly sociopathic, but still have some empathy and emotional connection to a very small number of people), but if that person is or has been the richest or most powerful person in the world, you're long past fucked by then.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:54 pm

Eh wrote:If you've got a rebuttal

Nah, I think all that's about right. Among all the other reasons these motherfuckers have an inferiority complex, they're furious that nothing they ever do -- including, in Trump's case, becoming President of the fucking United States -- will ever elevate them to the same social status as the Old Money guys.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:41 am

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already, as usual. But I can't help but think about the contrast between characters like Musk/Trump and, say, my late aunt.

These guys were born with wealth, everyone knows their name, they have the whole goddamned world in their hands, and they're still never happy.

Meanwhile, my aunt was barely five feet tall, worked shit jobs to keep us kids happy, and seemed to always be one car wreck away from bankruptcy. Literally and figuratively a little person, but she still stood head and shoulders above guys like those.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:51 pm

He posted a Pizzagate meme today, because of course he did.

I'm not going to post it, but I will say that we can add The Office to the long list of things he clearly doesn't understand.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:33 pm

Taylor Lorenz:

At the Dealbook summit, with X CEO Linda Yaccarino sitting in the room, Elon Musk just told advertisers who have pulled out of X — including Disney CEO Bob Iger — to go fuck themselves.

"If someone is going to blackmail me with advertising, blackmail me with money, go fuck yourself. Go fuck yourself," he said.

He then called out Disney CEO Bob Iger in the audience, which paused advertising on Twitter saying, "Hi Bob!"

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:52 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:14 pm

Shades of

Though as has been pointed out on occasion, ole Ted was actually more-or-less correct with his famous line... If Elon's ever right about anything it's been entirely an accident (management regrets the error).

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:19 pm

The bit at the very end is K I L L I N G me.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:45 pm

Chip from Rescue Rangers is and always has been cool

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:30 am

This one is courtesy of Royal.

Press release. Literally verbatim:
Breaking News: Elon Musk's X Token Pre-Sale to Revolutionize Technology with Grok AI and Blockchain Integration, Poised to Change the World

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:38 pm

While it is obviously a scam, I'm not 100% certain that it's Musk running it. The original press release was telegra.ph, which is functionally an open press release website that anyone can use, and it links to xtokenpresale[dot]io which has a redacted WHOIS information which is different from Twitter and Tesla's WHOIS in-

who am I kidding this is just a high-effort version of the "ELON MUSK WANTS TO SELL YOU BTC" that appear beneath every post on Twitter
signature

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:37 pm

The more important question is where do you apply the slurp juice?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:14 pm

I really, really like the way this phenomenon is being phrased here.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:05 pm

NYT headline wrote:Elon Musk, on Rehabilitation Tour, Calls Himself 'Aspirationally Jewish'

"why, some of my best friends are Jews!"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:37 am

"Elon Musk and Ben Shapiro go to Auschwitz" definitely sounds like the opening to a joke, possibly one by Mel Brooks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:58 am

You may have seen today that following a lengthy lawsuit, an investor's request that the Delaware Chancery Court overturn Musk's 2018 pay package (worth $56 billion, rate of $5b/yr) for being too generous, was granted. Which it is - $5 billion a year is several orders of magnitude greater than any even half-comparable CEO, because the board literally did not negotiate, they just gave him what he asked.

Well, the guy who originally brought the lawsuit in 2018 is a thrash metal drummer who owned only nine shares of Tesla at the time.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:41 am

Mongrel wrote:You may have seen today that following a lengthy lawsuit, an investor's request that the Delaware Chancery Court overturn Musk's 2018 pay package (worth $56 billion, rate of $5b/yr) for being too generous.

This sentence has no verb.
Following a lengthy lawsuit, what happened to or about an investor's request that the Delaware Chancery Court overturn Musk's 2018 pay package for being too generous?
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:05 pm

Upthorn wrote:
Mongrel wrote:You may have seen today that following a lengthy lawsuit, an investor's request that the Delaware Chancery Court overturn Musk's 2018 pay package (worth $56 billion, rate of $5b/yr) for being too generous.

This sentence has no verb.
Following a lengthy lawsuit, what happened to or about an investor's request that the Delaware Chancery Court overturn Musk's 2018 pay package for being too generous?

lmao, my bad. It was granted. i.e. Musk's pay since his last package has been ruled invalid and the board must now actually negotiate his pay.

I'd say REnegotiate, but the fact that they never negotiated the first time around was the basis for the suit!

Most of Musk's supposed wealth is in... Tesla stock, which he can't sell much of for fear of tanking its price, especially since it's wildly overvalued compared to other auto stocks, given they've released exactly one new model in the past several years and have literally *ZERO* new models ready for production for at least a year. So the speculation is that Musk's Tesla pay is actually all or most of his liquid cash.

Crick

Postby Crick » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:18 pm

And he's now blaming the fact that the company is incorporated in Delaware as the reason this all happened.