"Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Mongrel

Re: "Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:34 pm

The WHO has officially declared this a pandemic.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:09 pm

White House told federal health agency to classify coronavirus deliberations - sources

Completely unsurprising, but this really needs to be treated as a major scandal. Trump is managing a public health crisis as a PR crisis. People are going to die because he is incapable of a perspective broader than his own immediate benefit.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:25 pm

*lots of People

We are seeing another downside of electing an asshole clown vampire instead of an effective leader: They're not effective leaders, and during crisis situations, they do not have the skills required to help the community that elected them.

I was watching a video about the nuclear standoff with Russia over the Cuban Missile Bases, can you imagine if either side had been being ruled by Trump or his kind?
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Yeah, I really don't want Biden to get the nomination, but this is a pretty good argument for gritting my teeth and voting for him in November in the increasingly likely event that he gets it. Whatever his many flaws, I don't see him surrounding himself with unqualified sycophants and then deliberately undermining anybody who tells him something he doesn't want to hear.

There's a campaign slogan. "Biden 2020: He can meet the absolute bare minimum requirements of a functioning government, probably"

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:28 pm

The fact that he's still in the race despite clearly having dementia or/and brain damage from a stroke indicates to me that he is surrounded with unqualified sycophants and yes-men.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:01 pm

The difference - and it IS a difference - is that Biden wouldn't just ignore his handlers.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:54 pm

pacobird wrote:The difference - and it IS a difference - is that Biden wouldn't just ignore his handlers.

Especially if they give him an icecream and let him have naptime early.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:55 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Meanwhile, in the US.

Jumping Jesus Weaponized Christ.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:11 pm

Entire NBA season has just been outright cancelled.

For a lot of folks, this might be the "Oh shit." moment.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:39 am

Extremely comprehensive live-updating tracker courtesy of Johns Hopkins

Now, this is fairly impressive, but what really blows my mind is being able to even follow a pandemic like this at all. What a strange difference it is from just about any preceding historical pandemic to have such immediate and comprehensive information.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 am

Ha ha ha ha ha white people got travel banned.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:03 pm

So my school has not handled this well. The only public communication so far has been essentially "teachers are making sure to wash their hands, so students should make sure to as well". Nothing about any plan beyond that. Internally, today we were told that administration has a meeting on Monday to "discuss the possibility of creating a strategy for dealing with online instruction". Teachers have been told that we have no plans to close any time soon, despite confirmed cases being less than an hour away, and only about an hour and 40 minutes from where CPAC took place.

Today, however, students at my school started spreading rumors about a couple of students being infected, spreading it on social media, and it got loose. Parents started pulling their kids out of school, local businesses called administration asking to confirm it because they were about to start banning all kids, some kids were terrified because they have family members at home who are high risk. But then the largest local apartment complex heard it, and without doing any sort of research, sent an email out to all of their tenants that they can confirm that someone in the local community is infected, and that all precautions need to be heeded now, and so on. How bad this panic is going to end up being is uncertain, but it won't be good for anyone in the area.

Now, I've complained about the school handling things very, very poorly recently, but this is mind boggling and frightening to me that the answer they have decided to stick with for now is to just stick their heads in the sand and hope it goes away.

Edit:
Wow, I bitch about it online and suddenly the state decides to close all schools starting Monday. Good timing, but the governor said in the press conference "Pushing things off until next week would be a critical mistake", but we still have school tomorrow. Do they have any idea how the kids are going to act tomorrow?

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Disneyland will be closed starting Saturday and at least through the end of the month.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:17 pm

oh the irony

(this is from my local Target, they have plenty of fresh food but are completely devoid of pharmacy items, canned goods, cleaning supplies, pasta, and toilet paper)
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:33 pm

And here's a headline for you: "The US stock market has now wiped out the entire $11.5 trillion of value it gained since Trump's 2016 election victory."

If the only people this was hurting were Wall Street investors, I wouldn't feel too goddamn bad about that. But there are also people's 401Ks to think about, and the point that the stock market is just the beginning and we're looking at major sectors of the economy being disrupted, and oh yeah the part about people getting sick and dying is pretty bad too.

I've been saying from the start that I can't bring myself to *hope* for an economic crisis but that if Trump's incompetence puts us on that path, it's the surest way to tank his approval rating. Welp. Looks like we might get a chance to test that hypothesis.

(If you've got a 401K, though, it'll probably be fine; if the stock market hasn't recovered from this by the time we're old enough to retire, then we've got much, much bigger problems. Probably a good time to remind everybody that when you get closer to retirement, you should start trading your stocks for bonds, though.)

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:59 pm

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:12 pm

nosimpleway wrote:The catering department at the university where I work is still doing brisk business, for whatever that's worth.

I redact this statement, the catering department was crazy cuckoo nutso today with constant event cancellations and a shitton of cooks, servers, and bartenders with a lot of free time next week.

Resident dining is still doing the "cram 500 students into the dining hall all at once" event tonight, though.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Mongrel wrote:Entire NBA season has just been outright cancelled.

The NHL, too.