"Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

mharr

Re: "Coronavirus" is the category, dangit. (COVID-19 thread)

Postby mharr » Wed May 20, 2020 6:13 am

Oh gods damn it, Mr. Gaiman just handed the right a shit balloon on a stick to flail at the libs. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... ew-zealand

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 20, 2020 4:04 pm

The City of Atwater, Calif., declared itself a “sanctuary city for all businesses” at a special meeting on Friday, openly defying the state’s coronavirus orders, after business owners showed up to voice their support for the measure.

“It’s not the government’s job to protect my health, it’s their job to protect my rights, and they’re being taken away, so thank you for giving them back to us,” Ron Danel, who owns a company that makes gravestones, said to the City Council.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Ahahahahah

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 20, 2020 4:43 pm

While before and after pictures have been an internet thing for ages, most people haven't been trying to match a precise before pic like this, since being semiconscious for weeks usually precludes thoughts about making viral online posts. Dude had the presence of mind to document this and share, since he works as a nurse himself.

Of course now the crazies are out saying shit like, "that's what happens when you go off the roids/stop the testosterone injections for a while. And also he has THE GAY". Which is like, no, that's not what happens when you stop juicing (usually it just turns to flab with not much weight loss), neither does it cause your head to shrink down to the shape of your skull (look at his temples).

atog

Postby atog » Wed May 20, 2020 5:18 pm

He's an extremely lucky guy. Still might have permanent damage from the virus that won't even come to light for weeks to months or even years. But damn lucky to not be in a body bag and some of that might just be due to the large reserves of high-quality muscle proteins he had lying around to make antibodies with.

I look at myself with my flabby stick arms and legs and think, if I had to draw on the same reserves for 6 weeks of internal hell, I would run out on the second day and my body would start tearing apart my bones, joints, skin, intestines, brain, anything that wasn't heart or lung.

That's not the look of a guy who quit roids 6 weeks ago. For those of us who have been in health care long enough, we can remember seeing that hollow, aged, glassy stare in the eyes of people suffering from advanced AIDS, back in the 80s before drug regimens, when perfectly healthy people would just melt away in front of the horrified eyes of their loved ones and families. We saw it with 1.3 million Somalian refugees brought into our cities in 1992-1995, some so badly tortured and malnourished they were dead men walking, but managed to survive long enough to die on US soil. I've seen it in the faces of college friends who fought battles with Hodgkin's disease and other cancers that love to prey on young adults. They might win their battles, miraculously pull through with a new lease on life, but a year later they still look like maybe they're losing the war.

I hope for Mr Schultz it's not like that and he's won the war. I suspect though this virus leaves scars that will cost survivors like him years off the end of his normal productive lifespan, and that's enough reason for anyone to stay home, now that we KNOW.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am

So here in the UK our Evil Grand Vizier has 'followed his parental instincts' by going on a two hundred mile road trip with two confirmed diagnoses in the car, to visit his elderly parents. This guy is the power behind Boris' throne and tells him who to fire from the cabinet, so of course they've rallied around to defend this bullshit and any reasonable person would have done the same. Unless they were poors obviously.

Public reaction's been pretty good fun though.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon May 25, 2020 3:03 pm

mharr wrote:So here in the UK our Evil Grand Vizier has 'followed his parental instincts' by going on a two hundred mile road trip with two confirmed diagnoses in the car

then he went again

then possibly a third time

oh also he visited a scenic castle on his wife's birthday but said he went there to "test his eyesight"

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon May 25, 2020 3:13 pm

mharr wrote:So here in the UK our Evil Grand Vizier has 'followed his parental instincts' by going on a two hundred mile road trip with two confirmed diagnoses in the car, to visit his elderly parents. This guy is the power behind Boris' throne and tells him who to fire from the cabinet, so of course they've rallied around to defend this bullshit and any reasonable person would have done the same. Unless they were poors obviously.

Public reaction's been pretty good fun though.

i love that this whole thing has been labeled CumGate

i love nothing else about it

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon May 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Saw a gathering of people at the park last night; looked like maybe they were having a barbecue.

I hate this shit.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon May 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Thad wrote:Saw a gathering of people at the park last night; looked like maybe they were having a barbecue.

I hate this shit.

I was playing Pokemon yesterday. Local parks were "all the legal parking spots are full, and there's a handful of people just illegally parked" full, and half the people weren't wearing masks despite not being able to socially distance because too many people.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon May 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Trinity Bellwoods Park here in Toronto was predictably packed.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 pm

Re: CumGate

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue May 26, 2020 7:18 am

Annnd crosspost to Tales of Capitalism. https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... ard-castle
Now it may be entirely a coincidence that the place to which he chose to drive for his eyesight test happened to be the site of the major factory of GlaxoSmithKline. It may be an entire coincidence that two days later, on the very day Cummings actually started work back in Downing Street he has stated was “to get vaccine deals through”, GlaxoSmithKline announced an agreement to develop the vaccine.

So that's another tank of gas for the anti-vax movement, lovely.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 26, 2020 2:08 pm

A bit of good, albeit smelly, news?

I came for the science and poop jokes and I was not disappointed

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed May 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Just curious, but where were you on the day that the 100,000th American died of COVID-19?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Wed May 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Where the fuck do you think.

JD

Postby JD » Wed May 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Indoors, hopefully.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu May 28, 2020 12:22 am

Geez, sorry I asked. It just sort of felt like one of those historically tragic moments where you remember that kind of thing.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 28, 2020 1:03 am

To be fair, you've been chronically sleep-deprived.