Fight for What's Right: The Protest Thread

Grath

Re: Fight for What's Right: The Protest Thread

Postby Grath » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:21 pm

I was worried for a second when I saw #EXPOSEANTIFA was trending, but wonderfully, it's just people just posting pictures of random "Antifa members" ("This is the leader of Antifa. His name is Jason and he has a duck.") or stock photos of American GIs from WWII, encouraging the FBI etc to go after those damn terrorists.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:15 pm

Buffalo police pushed a man down. He hit his head on concrete hard and started bleeding profusely. The police ignored him while he laid there. He's in stable condition, but it is GRAPHIC.

The police and news claim the man tripped.

How can this continue? How can ANYONE support police after this?

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:10 am

Mongrel wrote:I was worried for a second when I saw #EXPOSEANTIFA was trending, but wonderfully, it's just people just posting pictures of random "Antifa members" ("This is the leader of Antifa. His name is Jason and he has a duck.") or stock photos of American GIs from WWII, encouraging the FBI etc to go after those damn terrorists.

Project Veritas put out a video about how those damn dirty Antifas are, at this very moment, training in fighting dirty at a bookstore that closed years ago. Usual total disregard for reality scaremongering bullshit.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:47 am

hngkong wrote:The police ignored him while he laid there.

I'm afraid they didn't. Watch the clip. The officer who pushed him starts to go in to do God knows what, and is physically grabbed by the kevlar and pulled back by what I assume is a senior officer. The optimist wants to argue that he was trying to check to see if the person he pushed was okay, but... he didn't really drop his defensive position.

Some credit where it's due, the guy in the back seemed to be doing his job as best he could. You can hear him calling in for medical help and ordering the two officers to be removed immediately. I would say if that man was still a police officer, he absolutely would have stopped and rendered whatever aid he could. But he's not a police officer anymore, and in his world, the person lying on the ground might as well be... no, is a terrorist.

As for Officer Sparky there? He looks like he barely comprehends what's going on. No malice, no remorse, not even a dawning realization that he did anything right or wrong - he's just burned out. I dunno. Maybe he's just very tired - I'm sure he is - or maybe he's always like that. Either way, right now he and most of the other guys just marching along have been reduced to obedient drones in body armor, and I'm sure that's just how our elected officials like them.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:33 am

Maybe he's just very tired - I'm sure he is - or maybe he's always like that.

I think the whole point of these protests is that yeah, a lot of cops are always like that.

They don't respect civilians and they certainly don't respect minorities, especially blacks.

They use force far, far too often when other methods would have worked.

A cop pushing over an old man? Shit, that's nothing. I feel bad for that old man and it's a crime and a perfect example of a situation that didn't need to have force used on it, but the shit cops have been doing for decades?

They shoot us. For nothing. In your car with your hands on the wheel. Laying in the street, pleading not to be shot. Crawling toward them, crying, begging for your life. They murder us and murder us and brutalize us and they will not stop unless we make them stop.

They do this overwhelmingly predominantly to blacks and other ethnic minorities, but they do it to whites too. They consider themselves heroes. They consider themselves above us. And they KNOW they're above the law.
ImageImageImage

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:47 am

Brentai wrote:
hngkong wrote:The police ignored him while he laid there.

Watch the clip. The officer who pushed him starts to go in to do God knows what, and is physically grabbed by the kevlar and pulled back by what I assume is a senior officer. The optimist wants to argue that he was trying to check to see if the person he pushed was okay, but... he didn't really drop his defensive position.

But look at how many cops that were there did nothing. I don't care how tired or worn out they are. If I pushed a child for ANY reason, I'd lose the ability to teach. If I saw another teacher push a child and didn't report it, I'd still lose my ability to teach. But 20+ cops can watch another cop almost kill an elderly man and report it as "he fell" and have no consequences for any of them but two when the truth comes out. Fuck the police, there isn't a good cop out there.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:39 am

Friday wrote:
Maybe he's just very tired - I'm sure he is - or maybe he's always like that.

I think the whole point of these protests is that yeah, a lot of cops are always like that.

They don't respect civilians and they certainly don't respect minorities, especially blacks.

When I say "like that" I mean completely numb and unresponsive to the point where one worries he's suffering a mental dysfunction.

The cops we're protesting aren't like that. The cops we're protesting are definitely in there, they're just fucked up people doing a fucked up job. The guy with the knee on Floyd's neck was a mass murderer in a uniform; the guy who wanted to help but did it like he was cracking some sort of joke about killing people, Mr. "Excited Delirium or Whatever", he's your typical, red delicious police officer. He acts like he's one of the good ol' boys because a black man's life isn't worth getting Code Redded by the three armed men standing around him, one of whom is definitely a mass murderer, and the other two at best only pretending to be one.

But 20+ cops can watch another cop almost kill an elderly man and report it as "he fell" and have no consequences for any of them but two when the truth comes out.

Right, because they have no choice in the matter. The guy who grabbed the other officer and pulled him away wasn't just preventing him from possibly beating the shit out of an old dude; he was also upholding the directive not to interact with the citizenry in any way. Again, you and I are "temporarily" categorized as effectively terrorists right now, every single one of us a potential suicide bomber. Whether the meat inside the armor has a problem with this or not is kind of a moot point; they're either going to comply or you're never going to see them on that side of the fence.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:17 am

All I know is this: Cops get off on this shit. They like being the big badass who kicks ass. They don't mind if their targets are unarmed non combatants. They put Punisher logos on their cars and they drive around acting like they can't be touched and they can do anything they want, because they can.

I'm not sure what point you're making other than: "also, cops are bad in this way too" but what I know is that cops are fucking LOVING this shit. You remember how you once told me the greatest fantasy all those gunfucks have is to shoot criminals? Cops. They love it. It gives them a thrill. They enjoy it. They feel powerful. "Light em up!"

It's like a Trump supporter who isn't a white supremacist/racist. Cops might not all be murderers like the guy who kill Floyd is, but they certainly don't mind covering for guys like that and being on the same side.
ImageImageImage

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:32 pm

I'm saying "Not All Cops" which I know is a dogwhistle but I'm also saying "The Other Cops are Red Delicious" meaning that they're complicit.
All Cops are Complicit.

You think the point is academic but if you're ever going to pull in support from people who have, sometime in their lifetimes, ever had a positive interaction with a police officer, you need to make the distinction.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Oh, yeah. We're on the same page then. I'm just bad at parsing posts.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:28 pm

Tear gas is more dangerous than police let on—especially during the pandemic

I don't think this is going to come as a surprise to anybody here, but it's a good article and maybe a good link to keep onhand.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Brentai wrote:I'm saying "Not All Cops" which I know is a dogwhistle but I'm also saying "The Other Cops are Red Delicious" meaning that they're complicit.
All Cops are Complicit.

Complicit in being bastards. There's a reason the cops standing over the one that killed George Floyd also have charges against them.
Brentai wrote:You think the point is academic but if you're ever going to pull in support from people who have, sometime in their lifetimes, ever had a positive interaction with a police officer, you need to make the distinction.

People who can see the protests and think "well they're not all bad" are too busy scissoring a fence to worry about courting. They'll be just as inactive when an actual civil war breaks out. People who might actually do something don't need to be told to worry about the complicit ones that just don't understand or choose not to act and go with it.

All nazis deserve to be punched, All Cops Are Bastards.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:50 pm

Like Friday said. If you have 10 bad cops and 990 cops who stand around and watch as the bad cops do their thing, how many bad cops do you have?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:54 pm

Her name is Kimberly Jones, and she's a published YA author if anyone wants an easy way to flip her a few bucks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:10 pm

Bad news.

Good Hopeful news!

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Thad wrote:Tear gas is more dangerous than police let on—especially during the pandemic

I don't think this is going to come as a surprise to anybody here, but it's a good article and maybe a good link to keep onhand.

Things that article somehow manages to avoid mentioning: Tear Gas is also banned by the Geneva convention and degrades into cyanide when expired.

EDIT: Oh and a couple years ago, a bipartisan bill banned sale of tear gas from the US to China because they were going to use it on peaceful protesters exercising their free speech.

AHAHAH OF COURSE.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:01 pm

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/bu ... dcavMK2jP4

News 4 has learned the entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team has resigned from the team.

That’s a total of 57 officers.

We’re told this is a show of support for the officers who are suspended without pay after shoving 75-year-old Martin Gugino.