Not if it's bitter. Let's Play Suikoden!

nosimpleway

Re: Not if it's bitter. Let's Play Suikoden!

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Thad wrote:You know, on my first playthrough I somehow managed to miss all the shops that sold Water Runes and never put any of the characters who came with them in my party. I made it all the way to the end with only items for healing.

In-battle healing isn't quite as important in Suikoden as it is in other RPGs, partly because most of the way through the dungeon you hit the "I can stop fighting random encounters" level and start Letting every monster Go -- and late in the game, you can use the Soul Eater level 1 and 3 spells to fight most of your battles for you to hit that level quickly. There are a few bosses that have strong whole-party hits, but you fight no small number of them (the Gigantes in the Dwarf Vault, the Zombie Dragon in the Toran lake fortress) before you get any decent healing magic.

Thad wrote:Hm. Is Ted the only character in the game who gets two portraits?

I think so! I think it's not supposed to be immediately clear who the kid is, which is why the party spends so much time deliberating on it. But while the game has two Qlons and the series has at least three Sarahs, the name Ted is exclusive to that one guy who carried the Soul Eater, so :shrug:

Thad wrote:And do we ever find out what Yuber's deal is anyway? I mean, he's a bad dude, and...I think Pesmerga's chasing him? And...

You never do. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the series director wanted the final game in the Suikoden series to involve Yuber's and Pesmerga's backstory and their final clash, but then the series never really sold well and started sliding down a slippery slope into awfulness after the second game, so it never happened.

Thad wrote:Huh. Wonder whatever happened to Sword and Shield, anyway.

They both broke apart! It says so right there. Which I guess means that Sword won the fight, on a technicality.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Music: Passacaria

Zorak: Give me back my daughter, my Tengaar.
Neclord: I'm afraid not. She's my beloved bride. When the sun sets, our wedding begins. Mute, you're the leader of the Liberation Army, correct? I'd like you to be my most honored guest tonight. If you don't make it to the top of the castle by sunset, Tengaar will be mine forever. Understood? This gate will not admit the uninvited.

One of the nameless warriors charges at the gates and is rebuffed by a flash and a blast of magic. You don't have a name or a portrait, ya mook, what did you think would happen?

Viktor: It appears that what Neclord says is true.
Cleo: Master Mute, this is a trap. He knows you're out leader.
Viktor: But we have no choice but to go.
Zorak: Commander Mute, I beg you. Please save my daughter from that filthy vampire. Please.

Hix: Master Mute, take me with you. I'll go too.
Zorak: You can't go, Hix. You have not yet proven yourself as a warrior. An unproven warrior, one who does not yet carry a sword with a name, is not allowed to enter battle. That is the law of our village.
Hix: It's true that I'm still a novice, and not yet strong. But still...I want to save Tengaar with my own hands. I promised her. Please let me keep my promise. Please, Master Mute.
Mute: You'll just be in the way.
Hix: Please, sir. Please. I beg you. Please. Please.
Viktor: The answer is no. Mute doesn't want to see you die.
Mute: All right. Come along.
Hix: Th-thank you.
Zorak: Hix. Come here.
Hix: Yes sir.
Zorak: I was waiting for such words from you. You are Hix of the Warriors' Village, son of Clift the Crusader. I hereby accept you as a true warrior, and grant permission to name your sword. May the birth of this new warrior be celebrated by all. There, Hix. You have now been designated a warrior. Your courage befits a true warrior. Go and save Tengaar.
Hix: Th-thank you, Sir Zorak.
Zorak: You may now name your sword. Have you something in mind?
Hix: Yes, I made that decision many years ago.
Cleo: Let's go, Hix. Tengaar awaits you.
Hix: Yes, sir.

Hix joining the group expels someone from the party, and Stallion got the fewest votes. You'll be missed, guy who lets me run in dungeons.

Talking to the warriors gathered outside the gate has them say some nonsensical things. I'd probably played the game two or three times before I realized that if you talk to them left to right and top to bottom, they sing "The hated......yuk" "The hated......yuk" "Enemy......yuk" "Hunt down......yuk yuk" "Onward......yuk yuk yuk" "To victory......yuk" "Dear......yuk" "Friend......ra ta ta yuk".

It doesn't help that their war chant doesn't make sense even if you talk to them in the right order.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Ho hum, another dungeon. While Neclord says that his castle gate doesn't admit the uninvited, you can head here as soon as you pass through the Lorimar gate. With a couple castings of Hell or Deadly Fingertips, you can level up very quickly, use the Blinking Mirror to return to the castle to rest and restore Mute's spells per day, and have Viki teleport you back. The cave behind Qlon Temple is supposed to be a long test of endurance, but if you level up here first, it's just tedious Letting all the monsters Go.

It's not even close to sunset, we've got plenty of time.

There's a zombie in the basement who will sing the hint for you for a fee if you forgot the clue to this bit from Warrior's Village.

"Even in the forest" means look at the tree painting, "Not at night" means look at Girl in the Early Afternoon, "During your work" is the Peasant Girl, and "Praise the King" is Neclord's portrait at the end. It's so cumbersome it had to be a clue, right?

Is it just me, or did that take a lot longer in-game than it should have?

Are kidding? It's another mid-dungeon full heal. Haven't seen one of those since Pannu Yakuta!

Hmm... perhaps we napped for a little too long.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:07 pm

All Neclord really wanted was to kidnap young girls and play with his organ.

While Neclord rocks out (a piece not on the official soundtrack, so I can't find it on YouTube to link), the camera pans around to the stained glass windows in the room, making absolutely certain the player realizes it's sunset.

Yeah, well, I had to send Stallion back home.

Hix: Tengaar! I've come to save you!
Tengaar: Hix. You've come. I'm so happy.
Neclord: Now wait a minute. You speak as if I'm going to lose.
Viktor: That's right, Neclord. You're going to die here. Damn you to hell, Neclord! You remember the village of Northwind?!
Neclord: Hmmm, let me see. I've been around such a long time. Come to think of it, you do look somewhat familiar. Perhaps I've seen you at... what was that village? But Northwind doesn't ring a bell.

awwwwwwwwwww

Tengaar: Hix!
Neclord: Goodness, how courageous. Mute, I'm going to have to take your rune and present it to Lady Windy.

It's another boss fight, natch.

Make sure everyone else waits around for Viktor to hit first. He's kind of slow, and it'd be a shame to waste your magic while Neclord's still invincible.

That does give Neclord a free hit, of course.

But once he's vulnerable, the battle's pretty standard stuff. Mute throws out Black Shadow, while Cleo marches down Explosion and Dancing Flames. Viktor and Hix thrash Neclord with their new and newly-named swords, while Ronnie throws Hadoukens. Sarah keeps everyone patched up from Neclord's magic with her Flowing Rune.

Aww, look at him go! His stance is so awkward...!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:21 pm

It's never made clear why a True Rune has decided to take the form of a sword, but its annoyance with its twin the Sun Rune residing in Falena may have had something to do with it. The Night Rune allows undead to exist, and as such, it also has the power to make them not exist.

Star Dragon Sword: You are merely a servant of the darkness, and therefore fight me in vain.
Neclord: I have lived for 500 years. Damned if my life ends now.
Viktor: 500 years of evil deeds. This is where my journey ends. You killed my family and friends, and I traveled far looking for you. Now it's time for revenge!

Tengaar: You've come to save me. Thank you. I'm so happy.
Hix: B-b-but I haven't done anything. And Viktor defeated Neclord.
Tengaar: You're so funny. It's OK. You're still my hero.
Hix: Th-thanks.
Tengaar: By the way, the name of your sword...
Hix: Oh, this? Sorry. I should have asked for your permission.
Tengaar: Really, using my name without asking...
Hix: S-sorry.
Tengaar: Why do you apologize?
Hix: Huh?
Cleo: You've got plenty of headaches ahead of you, Hix.

Remember, this came out 20 years ago. The tsundere archetype was fairly well-established, but this was still before every piece of Japanese media was required by Japanese law to include at least one.

Tengaar: Sure. Thanks to Hix.
Zorak: I am very grateful, Master Mute. We of the Warrior's Village hereby swear to serve the Liberation Army and obey your commands. Please let us know if you need our help.
Cleo: Neclord is defeated, and the Warriors' Village has joined our cause. Master Mute, it's about time we returned to Wrassle Castle.
Viktor: Mute, I mean Master Mute. I tracked Neclord for many years, and I finally got my revenge. I must go to my village now and deliver the news. But I promise to return to the Liberation Army. So please permit me to leave for the time being.
Mute: All right. Come back soon.
Cleo: Without you, Viktor, the Liberation Army is under a huge handicap.
Viktor: I know. You're all hopeless without me.
Tengaar: Don't worry. I'll fill in for him.
Hix: W-what! W-wait a minute, Tengaar.
Tengaar: No, Hix. I've already made up my mind. Besides, you're coming too.
Hix: M-me too?
Tengaar: Of course. If you don't protect me, who will?
Hix: Sure, b-but...
Zorak: Go with her, Hix. Your initiation is over with, but not your Rite of Passage into Adulthood. Besides, Tengaar has made up her mind, and I can't stop her. Will you protect her?
Hix: Yes, sir.
Viktor: I'm going now, Mute. But I'll be back. Take care.

"At last......yuk" "At last......yuk" "The enemy......yuk" "Is destroyed......yuk yuk yuk" "And we sing......yuk" "This song......yuk" "Of victory......yuk" "Ra ta ta, ta ra ta ta, ta ra ta ta, yuk"

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Hey, look at that. Our castle's gotten so big! And there's a banner out front to thumb our noses at the Imperial Navy, too.

Ready to pick up the absolute worst character to find in the game?

Clive appears randomly inside the inn at Rikon, and you have to have the castle as big as it'll ever be to recruit him, so chances are even if you do find him by chance, he just snubs you. He mentions that he's following someone, but refuses to give any details, so...

The archmagus Crowley joins, once you track him back down in the cave behind Qlon.

And back in Neclord's concert hall, Pesmerga waits to join up so he can track down Yuber.

Finally, Leon finally stops giving vacant advice and actually congratulates you. (He's the second most annoying character to recruit!)

If you pass his regards on to Mathiu, Mathiu will write Leon a letter.

But going through all that rigmarole will prompt Leon to join as a strategist, joining the special unit with Mathiu and Apple. Given that talking to Mathiu from this point until pretty much the end of the game will move the plot on, rather than having Mathiu write his letter, there's a very narrow margin between the time that Leon will send his regards to Mathiu, and Mathiu is capable of writing the letter back instead of railroading you straight to endgame.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:32 pm

For example, I had to do this conversation before Mathiu would write his letter.

Sanchez: It was a major accomplishment to liberate the Lorimar region without the use of troops.
Mathiu: According to Kasumi, Kasim Hazil has been placed in charge of northern defenses and is presently building up his forces.
Sanchez: The Imperial Army's forces are nearly 8000 strong under Kazim Hazil, another 6000 soldiers in the Floating Fortress of Shazarazade, and 10,000 troops in and around Imperial Headquarters.
Lepant: With what we've got, Kasim Hazil's army is all we can handle. The only way we can win is to unite the rebel forces around the country.
Humphrey: I happen to be an old friend of Joshua, Commander of the Knights of the Dragon's Den, who's domain is in the west. If you plan to befriend them, I'll come with you...
Sanchez: The Dragon Knights have always rejected Imperial jurisdiction, preferring to maintain a neutral status. Should they join us, our forces will be formidable. But I must warn you that Joshua is a proud man. They only chance of an alliance is for you, Commander Mute, to visit him in person.
Flik: If you're going, so am I.
Mute: Let's go meet these Dragon Knights.
Humphrey: ...All right.
Sanchez: The Dragon Knights' domain lies northwest of liberated Antei, formerly known as Bier Blanche.

Okay. Now Mathiu gets some free time to write Leon his letter.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:00 pm

Let's see, it's another voting juncture. Who'd I pick up since last time?

Moose is actually not too bad! His HP growth is a bit low for a melee guy, but he's got the well-rounded stats of someone who wouldn't immediately die in every fight. Good for him! Now that I've got four blacksmiths, they can combine their power into the Blacksmith Attack, pummeling an enemy for 3.5 times their combined damage. Even with two of the four being utter shit characters, that's a lot!

Quincy is not as good as Kirkis.

Morgan is not as good as Pahn or Ronnie Bell. He can unite with Pahn and Eikei.

Fukien is a short-range magic-user of limited but largely unique utility.

Hix is about as well-rounded as they come. Despite his higher than usual Luck, he's stuck with...

Tengaar, who despite her tiresome attitude is one of the best mages I've gotten yet. She has a dedicated magic-users stat growth, favoring Speed and Magic (and beating out Sarah and Cleo at them), and can stand on the back row to not soak hits without losing attacks. She can Unite with Hix for a Warrior Attack, or with Camille and Kasumi for the Pretty Girl Attack.

Clive makes the elves look like big fat sacks of crap by comparison. As a back-row ranged fighter, he uses a gun rather than a bow, and that rifle is a damned crit machine. His rune slot is open, and putting a Killer rune in it means almost every shot that connects hits some vital area.

Crowley is supposed to be the game's ultimate magic-user, but he gets the same Magic growth as other dedicated super-mages Luc and Hellion. And like Luc and Hellion, Crowley's either stuck in the back row missing turns or standing on the front row dying in melee. Despite all the hype, there's really no reason to ever use him over Tengaar (or in most cases over Alen, Grenseal, or Cleo). He comes with a Cyclone rune, and it's removable so Cleo or Tengaar can use it if they want.

Pesmerga is a slow-but-strong powerhouse, doing an admirable job of filling in for Viktor's absence.

Voting's up.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:57 pm

nosimpleway wrote:
Thad wrote:You know, on my first playthrough I somehow managed to miss all the shops that sold Water Runes and never put any of the characters who came with them in my party. I made it all the way to the end with only items for healing.

In-battle healing isn't quite as important in Suikoden as it is in other RPGs, partly because most of the way through the dungeon you hit the "I can stop fighting random encounters" level and start Letting every monster Go -- and late in the game, you can use the Soul Eater level 1 and 3 spells to fight most of your battles for you to hit that level quickly. There are a few bosses that have strong whole-party hits, but you fight no small number of them (the Gigantes in the Dwarf Vault, the Zombie Dragon in the Toran lake fortress) before you get any decent healing magic.

I don't remember if I used Let Go extensively on my first playthrough either. I do remember that I never used Bribe and didn't figure out what the fuck "Free Will" meant until my second playthrough.

nosimpleway wrote:
Thad wrote:Huh. Wonder whatever happened to Sword and Shield, anyway.

They both broke apart! It says so right there. Which I guess means that Sword won the fight, on a technicality.

I was being facetious.

Er, were you being facetious too?

nosimpleway wrote:Finally, Leon finally stops giving vacant advice and actually congratulates you. (He's the second most annoying character to recruit!)

Mace is pretty bad too, since after a certain point in the game you can no longer fit all the people into your party that you need in order to recruit him. And if you don't recruit him, you can't max out your weapons.

...which is another thing I made it through the game the first time without doing.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Unless this tie breaks pretty soon I'm just going to assume no one gives a shit who's in the party for the rest of the game.

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:52 pm

We need more giants in the party.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:57 pm

So what we need is for two more people to vote Blacksmiths.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:21 pm

TA wrote:So what we need is for two more people to vote Blacksmiths.

I voted blacksmiths, because it seemed like a nice trolly vote.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:58 pm

Okay, so! I forgot to mention that Flik and Humphrey both force their way into the party for this bit, so there's no room for all four blacksmiths at once. And like Stallion was at Scarleticia, Kasumi isn't available to put in the party. So going on down the list, we've got Tengaar and Clive and a tiebreaker is, as usual, Stallion.

Gatekeeper: No one is permitted to enter.
Humphrey: I am Humphrey Mintz, former Captain of the Imperial Army's Hundred Man Battalion. I request a meeting with Commander Joshua of the Knights of the Dragon's Den.
Gatekeeper: I have orders from the Commander of the Dragon Knights to let no one in, not even the Emperor himself.
Flik: Not even the Emperor? Those are very strict orders.
Gatekeeper: Now be on your way.
Flik: What do you think, Mute? I think something's happened. Let's see if we can gather some information. The nearest town is Antei, to the southeast.

Music: Narcissist's Theme
Assume this is playing anytime Vincent speaks. Milich tends to cue this theme, too.

Vincent: What I'm trying to tell you is that you have the honor of being owed money by me for a little while. Think about it. I, Vincent de Boule, of pure aristocratic extraction, will owe you money. You should be happy.
Owner: Don't give me that cock and bull. If you're an aristocrat, why can't you afford breakfast?
Vincent: Ah, that is indeed a painful question. You see, if I had some money, I would be glad to pay you as much as you like. But unfortunately, I just gave it all away to some poor starving children.
Owner: Liar! You're no aristocrat!
Flik: Hey, what's going on?
Owner: Shut up... oh, why it's the leader of the Liberation Army, Master Mute.
Vincent : Mute? Are you not Mute McDohl, son of General Teo McDohl? Permit me to introduce myself. I am Lord Vincent de Boule, at present vacationing in these parts.
Mute: Greetings, sir.
Vincent: Aha, we are both of fine stock. Let's fraternize on a more casual basis. Now that introductions are out of the way, may I impose on you for a moment and ask if you might lend me a few coins. It appears this fellow here doesn't trust me. I am presently on my way to meet Joshua of the Knights of the Dragon's Den. As I am in a hurry, if you'll excuse me...

Flik: What the hell was all that? Did he say he was going to the Dragon Knight's Domain?
Owner: Excuse me... I wonder who's going to pay for his meal?
Flik: What?

Yeah, that's a thing that just happened. Good thing 200 potch bits is pocket change by now. Does Fu Su Lu eat 500 times more than Vincent de Boule?

Good thing I brought Stallion.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Vincent: What a thing to say. I'm telling you who I am for your sake. Vincent here is a dear friend of Joshua's. If Joshua finds out you turned Vincent away, he'll be furious. You're new here, aren't you? There's still time to do the right thing.
Gatekeeper: I have been in this post for five years.
Vincent: Oh, I see. The last time I was here was a little over five years ago.
Gatekeeper: Tell any more lies and you'll be sorry!
Flik: Ha ha ha. He's at it again.
Vincent: Why, if it isn't my dearest friend Commander Mute. Have you business with the Dragon Knights too? Well, you're wasting your time. We'll never get past this hard head here.
Humphrey: But we must see Joshua!
Vincent: You look familiar. Why it's Humphrey, one of the most renowned Captains of the Imperial Army's Hundred Man Battalion. You're in the Liberation Army too? Commander Mute, dearest friend, I have something good to tell you. Please follow me.

You're vacationing in the area now, but you used to play here as a child? Where do you even live?

Vincent: You can enter the domain from behind this rock. I played in this spot often as a child.
Flik: This is a way in?
Vincent: Indeed. You're quite bright for a commoner.
Flik: Heh! Listen up, aristocratic scum! If this is an entrance, why didn't you use it yourself?
Vincent: that is a foolish question. A man of my birth would never sneak in like a common burglar.

A true aristocrat would have remembered to capitalize the first word in a sentence.

Flik: That's quite enough, gentlemen.

I assume that's supposed to be Humphrey's line.

Vincent: Oh, Mute, my dearest friend, you believe me, don't you? Good, good. I wouldn't know what to do if even you distrusted me. Well, be very careful then. It's quite dangerous inside.

Yep, it's a cave.

Pretty generous to call it "dangerous", though.

Mute doesn't even run out of spell points for his instakill monster-wipe spells before we reach the end.

Humphrey: .........
Flik: What's the matter?
Humphrey: .....look below.
Flik: Below? Whooaaa!

Great, we're in a damned Wile E. Coyote cartoon.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:20 pm

The music here is heavy breathing, with the occasional monster snarl. And hey, look at all those snoozing dragons. And the guard here has that ridiculous dragon-wing hair ornament... where have we seen that before?

Oh, right.

Futch: I'm the one who took you to the Magician's Island on Black's back. What are you doing here?
Milia: Mute? Then you're the Liberation Army's leader?
Flik: Why are these dragons sleeping? Are they always like this?
Futch: .........!
Milia: What business does the Liberation Army have in our domain?
Flik: Aren't you going to answer my question?

Well Flik, it's not like you're answering any of theirs.

Humphrey: I am Humphrey Mintz, former Captain of the Imperial Army's Hundred Man Battalion. I would like to see Commander Joshua.
Milia: ......... All right. Now that you've seen what's happened here, I must report to Sir Joshua.
Humphrey: Thank you. Ah...

Milia: I'm Milia, Deputy Commander of the Dragon Knights.
Humphrey: Thank you, Lady Milia. Please lead us.
Milia: When you emerge from this cave you'll see the Palace of the Dragon Knights. I'll run on ahead of you and inform Sir Joshua of your arrival. Let's go, Futch.

Music: An Old Irish Song
Let's just ignore that this gameworld has no such thing as "Ireland".

It's not a very big fortress.

Oh, see, but that's important information.

...hey, who's that?

It's Fuma, the last ninja in the game, only recruitable because ninja in video games wear the most garish and outlandish outfits possible. Like Kasumi and Kage, he's a high-Speed, high-Skill long-range fighter. In fact, they all have a unite together where Fuma and Kage pepper an enemy with shuriken before Kasumi Shrikes it.

Kreutz was a general under Geil Rugner, the previous emperor. The War of Succession that's been mentioned here and there was when Barbarosa and the people who would eventually be his Six Great Generals* overthrew Rugner is a coup d'etat. Kreutz is a bit miffed at being asked to join the Liberation Army by one of his former foes, but if it means killing Barbarosa, he's all for it!

Kreutz is a beefy front-line two-handed-sword wielder, big on Power and Defense. I think he can wear the same heavy armor Humphrey and Kwanda Rosman can, making him a good defender.

* - One of them has since retired. And one was the mother of Sonya Shulen, the current Great General. It's been a while.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Humphrey: Yes...
Joshua: I was so worried about you. After that incident at Kalekka, you vanished without a trace.

...eeenteresting...

Humphrey: I had my reasons. Joshua, this is Commander Mute of the Liberation Army.
Joshua: So you're Commander Mute. I'm Joshua, Commander of the Knights of the Dragon's Den. I have heard a great deal about the Liberation Army.
Humphrey: I have come to discuss an important matter with you.
Joshua: Important matter? What is it?
Mute: We need your help.

You can also just ask to fly on a dragon, but Mute's done that already.

Joshua: Help your army? It is true that many of us have been dissatisfied with the present Emperor...
Flik: Is there a problem? Something to do with their sleep, perhaps?
Joshua: So you've seen them. I tried to keep it a secret by barring the gates, but... A few months ago, the dragons fell asleep and have not awakened since. We tried everything we could think of, but to no avail.
Humphrey: Never awakened?
Joshua: At the moment, the Knights of the Dragon's Den are completely powerless. We brought many doctors here, but not one was able to cure them. We sent a man to look for Liukan, whom people call the Holy Doctor, but he has apparently disappeared.
Flik: So you think that Liukan can cure the dragons?
Joshua: He's the finest doctor in the land. He can probably find a cure.
Flik: Mute, this is our chance. He'll end up owing us a favor.
Joshua: .........?
Flik: It's nothing, never mind.

SO GUESS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO NEXT

Milia: How are they, Master Liukan?
Liukan: This isn't a disease. They have been poisoned with sleeping poison.
Joshua: Not a disease?
Liukan: No. Somebody gave them poison.

Ridiculous. Do you have any idea how good a dragon's Fortitude saves are?

Futch: I had a feeling somebody sneaked into our domain.

On Futch's watch, too, which is why he's been in a funk since the dragons fell asleep even though his own is fine. All this mess is his fault.

Joshua: Is there a cure?
Liukan: I can prepare an antidote, but I will need certain ingredients. Moonlight weed, black dragon orchid, and...
Joshua: What is the other ingredient?
Liukan: We'll leave it till later. First get those two. Commander Mute, there should be some moonlight weed in Seek Valley.
Milia: Seek Valley... Sir Joshua, the only dragons awake are Futch's Black and my own Thrash. I will take Mute and his men to Seek Valley on Thrash.
Joshua: Good luck, Milia.
Milia: Commander Mute, let's hurry to Seek Valley.
Liukan: I guess I'll wait here for the ingredients.

Liukan leaves, which is good, and Milia joins. She's... huh, she's got very similar stat growth to Kreutz. She's a medium-range spear user, though, meaning she trades his heavy armor and raw attack power for better Speed and Luck and... well, spears are still pretty good weapons anyway.

bweeeeeeee

Of course!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:36 pm

The enemies in Seek Valley tend toward the big brute type. And Queen Ants are random encounters here! Now how did one migrate all the way from the southwest corner of the world to the northeast corner, just to provoke Ted into revealing his Soul Eater rune?

There's a grumpy old blacksmith here who completes the line of Japanese syllablery the other four set up, but instead of sharpening our weapons he quite sternly tells the party to fuck off.

You know what I haven't done in a while?

Fought a boss.

This one's about as plot-relevant as the dragon in Pannu Yakuta, which is to say, not at all. It's a moderately tough fight, but not one a combination of True Rune magic, gunfire, and swords and spears can't fix. Tengaar is equipped with the Cyclone Rune that Crowley came equipped with, so she can use its Shining Wind spell to do damage to the Crystal Core and heal the party at the same time.

Eventually the crystal shatters, leaving only the Core. That does mean the fight is almost over, but also means it can laser the entire party instead of just smacking them with rocks.

Oh. Um. Guess I can give this back to Crowley then.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:34 pm

yeah blaze it

Windy: I'm impressed that you made it this far. But I can't let you leave with the moonlight weed.
Flik: Whoever you are, we had a rough time getting here! We're taking this stuff!
Windy: Oh my, what an energetic young man. But I'm talking to Mute right now, so please be quiet. Mute, you must be getting tired of this Liberation Army game. You will give me the rune on your right hand, the Soul Eater. Don't
look so angry, Mute. I won't force you to give it up. I have something more elegant in mind. Come on out, Ted.

Ted: It's been a long time, Mute. You sure were cruel to leave me behind on my own. But I forgive you. We're old friends. Now, will you give me back the rune I lent you? I was able to live 300 years because of that rune, so I need it. Please give it back.

This would be a lot more effective as a ruse had Ted shown up first, rather than Windy popping in to say "Hey, what happens next is a ruse."

Ted: I don't have much time. A strange connection remains between the rune and the one who carried it, that is, me. I'm speaking to you through the rune. My body has been taken over by Windy's Conqueror Rune, and is no longer mine. The Conqueror Rune will eventually take over my soul as well.... and that is why I must hurry. Mute, you must promise to forgive me for what I am about to do.

Ted: Please, Mute, give me back my rune. Or else I'll take it by force.
Mute: I will not give you the Soul Eater.
Windy: Oh, so you plan to fight Ted? You kill your own father, send your servant Gremio to his death, and now you want to fight your best friend? How sinful you are.
Ted: Soul Eater, I spent 300 years with you. I know all about you. The meaning of your curse, your evil intentions. On the day I lost my home, you stole the souls of everyone I knew in this world. During 300 years of wandering, you caused a great many wars and plundered countless souls. Including Odessa's! And Mute's father's! And Gremio's! You took them all! You steal the souls of those closest to your master, and grow in power!

Ted lays it all down. I'm not sure if any game had done the "main character has one of the cosmic keystones, but doesn't realize it's willful, sentient, and malicious" thing before.

Windy: Ted! What are you talking about?! Hurry up and get the Soul Eater.
Ted: Having the Soul Eater near me has given me power. Just enough power to move my own body. Now, Soul Eater! I command you as your former master! Take my soul now!

Music: Theme of Sadness

::(:

Ted: Good...that's good. Who needs a body that can't be controlled. I now return... the 300 years of life... that you gave me, Soul Eater..

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Ted: I think it's... farewell for sure...this time. Take care. Live your life to the fullest...for my sake too. .........

Mute mourns but Milia's all business. Gotta backtrack through the Valley and get to Thrash, who wings us back to the Dragon Knight's Fortress.

Milia: Yes, Sir Joshua. Here is the moonlight weed.
Flik: Next we need the black dragon orchid. I'm ready to go anywhere in the world for it.
Liukan: But there's a problem.
Milia: What is it?
Joshua: Futch went alone to Gregminster Palace to get it.
Liukan: The only place where one can obtain the black dragon orchid is the Floating Garden at Gregminster. I shouldn't have mentioned it in front of him.

Music: Fly, Black!

Futch: Hmmm, this one looks most like the one that Liukan described.
Barbarosa: You're right, that is a black dragon orchid.
Futch: Wh-who is it?

ruh roh