I haven't seen a pocket monster in a fortnight! Let's Play Palworld!

nosimpleway

Re: I haven't seen a pocket monster in a fortnight! Let's Play Palworld!

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:49 pm

Water-type Pals drop Fluids. I need to catch some of those anyway, since I have berry farms that the Tanzees can plant, but nobody can water. Teaphants, shown here running away, are water-type.

So are Pengullets. A lot of the Pals in the earlygame are timid and run away, which makes it tough to get a picture of anything but their asses as they flee.

Talkin' Pals: 010: Pengullet, which "Ate Too Much"
"The feathers of this Pal have all but disappeared, but sadly, its desire to fly has remained as strong as ever. Even now, it tries to fly again in any way it can."
The lore: The setup for a mean joke. Set up that Pengullet wants to fly through the air any way it can. Then you realize its Partner Skill is loading it into a rocket launcher you've built and shooting it at stuff. This deals explosive damage but almost certainly KOs the Pengullet.
The inspiration: Just like some others described previously, there's a fine line between "Similar design origins" and "make a Piplup but change some details". Water/Ice is an intuitive choice for a penguin, blue and white is the color scheme for water/ice mons, so you end up with a small blue cartoon penguin that looks a bit like Piplup no matter how you squint.
The name: If I were a guess, I'd say they started with the Partner skill and named it a portmanteau of "penguin bullet", then realized that having "gullet" in the name implies a big appetite, so they made its tagline about that.
In gameplay: Whether or not you think it looks like a Piplup, the idea of firing an explosive penguin at enemies is almost certainly a shout-out to Disgaea.

This peninsula is a mystery. There's a spawn point at the end, but there's nothing here. A couple chest spawns, and some low-level pals, and a diary entry from Zoe Rayne to go along with the castaway's journals I've been finding. But there's no fast travel points, or Lifmunk effigies, or much of anything.

Some Pals can fly. Since I don't have any way to get their attention, Nitewings just drift around on the updrafts and ignore that I'm here at all.

I manage to find a Technical Machine Skill Fruit in the grass. This one can teach Power Shot, a low-power Neutral-type move. What do you expect? It's the first fruit I've found!

Talkin' Mechanics: Skill Fruits
There aren't really enough unique moves in the game to warrant having a complicated system for teaching Pals stuff from outside their natural moveset. Most Pals can get by pretty well with whatever they learn naturally. But for those situations where a different move is needed, there's skillshare fruits. Each fruit has one skill with it. Feed it to a Pal, and the Pal now knows that move.

Heading west, the trees turn from green to red-orange. This is still the "Windswept Hills" zone, though. I crest a hill just to find a few Syndicate thugs beating the crap out of a traveling merchant, but can't get over there before they knock him out.
Mobs that are KOed without any involvement from me don't drop any loot. Presumably the thugs took it all, but that applies if Pals knock out other Pals or humans, too.

I nab a couple of Vixy. This one forgot what it was doing and stood on the rocky outcrop just looking at me while I jabbed away its hit points a tiny slice at a time with a damaged spear before I caught it.

Talkin' Pals: 014: Vixy, the "Star of the Steppe"
"The idol of Palpagos Island. If you bully a Vixy, you best be prepared to become enemies with the whole world."
The lore: Vixy is cute I guess but is it really the cutest Pal in the game? In any event, there's no repercussions for capturing them or knocking them out.
The inspiration: This isn't even the most Eeveelike Eevee in the game.
The name: Well, it's not an awkward portmanteau this time! Vixy is just a cutesy diminutive of "vixen".
In gameplay: Vixy is not very strong for combat purposes, but its Partner Skill "Dig Here!" creates free Pal Spheres, arrows, and money back at base.

Across the ravine from where the thugs beat up a merchant is another Syndicate fortress. I handle it the same way as the first one -- letting the thugs KO themselves on wild Pals nearby and sneaking in to free the mon while they're not looking. It's just a Lifmunk, but it's a Lifmunk I don't have to chase, so I'll take it.

And near that cliffside is some kind of small settlement.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:51 pm

Told ya.

Reliable PIDF Officer: "There's hardly anyone around here now, but before the Rayne Syndicate came, many more people lived here.
If you're in trouble, let me know. As long as you pay, I'll do anything.
"

A nearby Enthusiastic Amateur Researcher: "Ever bumped into an extraordinarily strong and big Pal?
Just my speculation, but it seems to be some kind of leader who controls the Pals around!
If you could make it your ally, it would sure be handy. But it's super powerful, so be careful!
"

Liar. Alpha Pals aren't stronger than any other Pal of their species.

Gossiping Villager: "Ever explored a cave?"

Are you coming on to me?

Gossiping Villager: "I've heard that caves are home to loads of unique Pals.
What's more, there are even treasure troves created by Pals with a knack for collecting stuff.
Give me a shout if you spot any caves, won't you?
"

Not sure why she says that last part, since there's no way to say "Yeah there's a cave right over there" or otherwise prompt her to do anything but repeat this advice. Caves spawn and shift locations among a group of presets, one of which is almost visible from where I'm standing right now.

The Village Chief gives advice on what to do if I drop a Pal as a death penalty, but I turned that shit off so I'm skipping it. The Innkeeper offers to let me stay but as far as I can tell I can't actually sleep here.

The main attraction of the Small Settlement is the Wandering Merchant. Only this one doesn't wander much, he's pretty much always here. He sells schematics for a few vanity hats (of course there are vanity hats!), Pal spheres, a few medicines, arrows, and some ingredients to save me Pal farming.

He also buys items, so I sell him some ammo I looted off fallen Sydnicate thugs and other stuff and get a quick 591G. Given how much this game cribs from other popular games I assume that's short for "gil".

There's also a guy who will sell Pals, but his stock is randomly-generated and right now it's three Cattiva and two others I can't afford. Gonna have to pass.

Small Settlement has a convenient fast-travel point nearby, so here's a map update. The cliff to the southwest is where I saw thugs beat a merchant to death, then across the ravine bridge was the Syndicate fort.

Back at home, I set up the hot spring and set Teaphant to work watering the berry farms. Since Tanzee can plant, harvest, and carry the berries over to the feed basket, that should be everything I need to be self-sufficient in food for a while.

I also put together the fourth-tier bow, skipping entirely three of the initial ranged weapons. Each arrow has a little more attack power than a jab with my stone spear, and I fire three at a time.

Talkin' Jank: Equipment Tiers
The Old Bow and arrows unlock at level 3. But it takes so little time to reach level 5, might as well wait for the Fire Bow.
Then it takes so little time to reach level 7, might as well hold out for the Poison Bow. It's not like you've got a ton of Flame Organs around to craft fire-elemental gear yet, right?
But it's really not much of a stretch to hold out until level 10 for the three-shot bow. It's not like you've got a ton of Poison Glands around to craft dark-elemental gear yet, right? The next ranged-attack upgrade requires a reliable source of worked metal, and I don't have that yet, so the three-shot bow is where I stop for now.
Armor works the same way. I can craft either a cold-resistant Tundra Outfit or a heat-resistant Tropical Outfit as of level 9, but it'll be a while before I'm exploring any of the biomes where I'll need them. Might as well hold off for the Pelt Armor at level 12, and get a decent defense upgrade out of my next piece of equipment. The Feather Hairband at 10 is a worthwhile investment, since it's the only piece of headgear around until the Metal Helm at level 23.
The whole tech tree is like this. It's not only possible, but probably optimal to hold off on minor upgrades that take unusual ingredients until the next big unlock tier a few levels later.

Unfortunately, the next level up for the base requires a high-quality workbench, which requires both metal ingots and nails made from metal ingots. And I don't have any metal ingots. I have Cattiva and Fuddler with the Mining 1 suitability, but a Pal needs Mining level 2 to be able to break the ore nodes I built this base around. And I could bust them up myself, but that'd take forever and would be missing the point. I've got to go find something better.

Before I head out, I stop by my statue and turn in my first set of Lifmunk Effigies for a small boost to my catch chance percentage. Lifmunk Effigies are all over the place so it's not often screenshot-worthy to find one, but the catch chance increase is worth a little detour to pick one up. Each increase requires more Effigies to reach, of course.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:54 pm

The lower-right corner of the screen keeps an ammo count for the currently equipped weapon, now that I have one that consumes ammo. I've spliced it into this shot to illustrate where I was when I realized my mistake. Guess what dumb idiot forgot to grab a stack of arrows before he left home!

I happened to pick the path straight to the boss so nothing of note happened inside the cave up til then.

In Cattiva's description I noted that its signature move, where it charges forward and swipes with its claws a dozen times, can do great stuff against big targets that resist knockback. Hoocrates here bounced from one hit to the next and took hundreds of damage at 30 damage a swipe.

I caught the boss and one of the little guys. Cattiva KOed the other one. Cave bosses count as Alphas, so they drop sell-for-money loot and Ancient Civilization Parts like the ones I've talked about before.

Talkin' Pals: 0015: Hoocrates, the "Purveyor of Wisdom"
"Often lost in thought, it sometimes finds it difficult to sleep. 'I think, therefore I am.'"
The lore: Either name the damn thing after Descartes or find a Socrates quote to put in its description, come on.
The inspiration: You'd normally look to Noctowl or Dartrix for common design motifs but really this little guy looks like a Murkrow with bushy eyebrows and without Murkrow's raggedy, haggard charm.
The name: Another awkward doubtlessly-computer-generated portmanteau.
In gameplay: Having Hoocrates in the party boosts the power of other dark-element Pals. I don't think I've ever used a Hoocrates for anything, but I could see it being useful on a Daedream's Necklace build. Being a dark-type Pal themselves, they don't have to sleep at night if they're working at base, but with their only suitability being Gathering 1, that's not terribly helpful.

The reward for finishing a cave boss is two chests. Always two, even in multiplayer where you might have had four or five people assisting.

One of them contained an Epic-level schematic for the next level of armor. I'd unlocked regular Pelt Armor already but don't have enough leather to craft it. This is going to take even more leather than that, plus all those Ancient Civilization Parts I just won, but offers 52 defense instead of only 35. (I'm still in the "well, it's better than being naked" Cloth Outfit, at defense 15.)

I'm looking for something in particular. I didn't find it coming this way, but I did find another fast-travel statue and a portal to the Sealed Realm of the Frozen Wings.

Talkin' Mechanics: Sealed Realms
They're not so much "realms" as they are one little room. But there are lots of these realm-rooms scattered around the map, each with one Alpha Pal twiddling its thumbs, waiting for a Tamer to come by and catch it. While Alpha Mammorest and Alpha Chillet wander around the map, Alpha Penking is stuck inside the Sealed Realm of Frozen Wings, here.

I pensively stare over the horizon, partly waiting for nightfall and partly waiting for Fuddler to finish making a basic shield. A shield is simply a pool of HP on top of your current HP, that recharges faster than HP regenerates. It's entirely passive and requires no effort to use. If you want to avoid damage, use the Dark Souls Combat Roll, or Lamball's Partner Skill.

As soon as I finish my first shield, I head out, catch a few more Pals, level up, and unlock the second, better shield. Was I not paying attention to my own explanation of equipment upgrades? Sheesh, me. Anyway, most of the Pals I get are duplicates of ones I already have for the EXP grind, but there's a couple new ones to talk about.

Talkin' Pals: 005: Foxparks, the "Revealer of Paths"
"It is unskilled at controlling fire from the moment it is born and tends to choke on the flames it breathes unintentionally. Foxparks sneezes are one of the leading causes of forest fires."
The lore: Foxparks are not rare creatures. If the Paldex entry is right it's a miracle there are any trees left at all.
The inspiration: What is it with foxes and fire magic, anyway? This doesn't look a ton like a Vulpix but it's a fox on fire so the comparison is inevitable. It's a fox on fire so the logo of that popular web browser is also inevitable. Getting into trouble because it can't control its own powers is lifted directly from Pichu.
The name: It's a fox, it sneezes sparks. Why not "Foxneeze"? At least that'd be worth a ton of points in Scrabble.
In gameplay: Foxparks is the first fire-type Pal to be found for a while, so it serves an important niche in fighting off the prolific grass-type Pals in the early game and operating any Kindling jobs at base. If you don't have a light source yet, you can let your Foxparks out at night to see a little better, too. Its Partner skill equips the thing as a flamethrower, and it scales with level and hey spoilers, one of the last areas in the game is the frozen north. It takes a long time for it to be entirely overshadowed even if its combat capabilities start to lag behind.

Talkin' Pals: 006 Fuack, the "Rowdy Wave Ripper"
"Using its own body water, this Pal can create waves anywhere. It body surfs when in a hurry, but the resulting speed often ends in a fatal collision."
The lore: Turns out maybe surfing headfirst at high speed to get around isn't a great idea.
The inspiration: Blue is the color for water-elemental Pals and waterfowl are a natural choice for a water-elemental Pal. It bears a resemblance to Quaxly but that's just as
The name: "How close can we get to naming one of the collectable monsters after a swear word?" - the devs, I guess
In gameplay: Every monster-collecting game has a handful that are so unremarkable that you'd have to punch even the most diehard fan in the arm to remind them that the mon exists. Fuack is one of those.

Talkin' Pals: 007 Sparkit, the "Livewire Tabby"
"During the dry season, this Pal is always on the verge of blowing a fuse, Sparks can fly with even the slightest provocation even amongst allies.
The lore: You might expect the little fuzzy electric mouse to be friendly and outgoing, y'know, like it should be a mascot for a franchise or something. Sparkit is a jerk, though.
The inspiration: Somebody ordered a Pikachu off of wish.com
The name: It's a kitten sort of creature that sparks. The name came from fans in the PocketPair Discord.
In gameplay: It's be a long time between when Sparkit first shows up and when anyone will need electric Pals working on base, a span of time that gives other, better electric Pals time to show up.

Talkin' Pals: 018 Cremis, the "Darling Furball"
"Compared to Lamball, it has finer wool and a temperament more suited for domestication. However, it has historically been kept as a pet. Cuteness is considered a virtue.
The lore: There's nothing to comment on. It's cute. Whatever.
The inspiration: If this were any closer to its inspiration it would have an unstable genetic code and would mutate into a different elemental type depending on what you did to it. This would make it 500% more interesting than Cremis actually is. (I guess technically the extra-floofy neck ruff makes it a ripoff of Mega Eevee, but whatever.)
The name: ha ha ha holy shit are you kidding me its Japanese name is MILFFY???
In gameplay: Cremis can be assigned to a Pal ranch to produce wool. They are less likely than a Lamball to be distracted from this task by other work suitabilities.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:56 pm

You might have spotted a bright green dot on top of the ruined tower visible in the sunset screenshot above. I can't glide that far with the first-tier parachute, so I've gotta climb. It's a close call making it to the top before I run out of stamina!

And from the top, I spot what I've been looking for for an entire night and a day. It only comes out at night but is obliging enough to glow in the dark.

HEY YOU

YEAH YOU

GET IN MY POCKET, MONSTER

Talkin' Pals: 068: Tombat, the "Trickster"
"Often appears out of the blue to flaunt its prized wings in front of other Pals. Although it seems to be an intimidation tactic, the Pal seems to derive some kind of pleasure from the display."
The lore: If it had the technology it would have a very active TikTok where it danced and posed for the adoring public.
The inspiration: It looks like a mostly unique design but its head and neck ruff look rather a lot like Sprigatito if Sprigatito didn't have a leaf glued onto its face. I guess its body looks a little like Zeraora if you squint.
The name: It's a tomcat that's a bat.
In gameplay: I am indifferent to Tombat in combat (heh) and its Partner Skill isn't any good for the same reason as Fuddler's. But it's got Transporting 2, Gathering 2, and Mining 2. It may well be the first Pal that can bust ore nodes.

While I'm at it, I take a potshot at a Nitewing.

Flying Pals, once the player gets their attention, will obligingly descend to ground level to fight. This makes things rather easier, up to and including hitting the thing with a Sphere. So I nab a Nitewing, too.

Talkin' Pals: #038: Nitewing, the "Wings of the Firmament"
"It carries newborn Pals to its nest and raises them as a surrogate parent. Once the baby Pal has fattened up, it hunts them."
The lore: You know why no animals in the real world adopt a creature, share food with it for weeks while it fattens up, and then kill and eat it? Because that's dumb.
The inspiration: If Staraptor had bigger tailfeathers and lacked the whatever-it-is-Staraptors-have-on-their-heads on their heads, they'd look a lot like Nitewing.
The name: doesn't even make sense. Nitewing is Neutral-type, and only Dark-types are nocturnal. Nitewing doesn't wing around at night, it sleeps.
In gameplay: Nitewing is the game's first flying mount. That is the entirety of its appeal.

In order to activate some Pals' Partner Skills, including every one that can be ridden as a mount, there's an item needed.
This item is level-locked and technology-point-locked like any other tech, but the player also has to catch one of the Pal in question for the unlock to show up at all. Much of the tech tree is a secret until a player fills out the Paldeck a bit.
So while Nitewing's Saddle unlocked at level 15, I couldn't possibly get one until now. But now that it's available, I definitely want to save up some metal and cloth to build it.

As I mentioned in its writeup, Tombat can bust ore nodes. The HUD is kind of in the way, but here he is throwing hadoukens at the ore deposit and knocking chunks loose. A couple of ore go in the primitive furnace I built a few base levels ago, a Foxparks provides the flame, and ingots come out. Some of those ingots are crafted as they are, or one ingot can be crafted into two nails at a workbench. I'll need lots and lots (and lots) of both.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:58 pm

While the Pals work on mining and crafting, I head out to Small Settlement to pawn off my precious plumes from Alpha Hoocrates, and the rubies in the cave chests Alpha Hoocrates was guarding, for cash. I spot another cave nearby, but as I enter, it starts spitting out damage numbers...

Yikes.
If I were to guess, some level 5-or-so Syndicate thugs provoked a level-35-or-so Mammorest on the other side of the hill this cave is in, and it is disintegrating each of them in retaliation.

(This was in fact the case.)

On my way through the cave I catch a Killamari, a couple Daedreams, and a Mau or two. The boss is an Alpha Gumoss, which despite the "ow ouch oof my bones" in this screenshot is kind of a chump.

Talkin' Pals: #023 Killamari, "Emotionless"
"It wraps itself around an enemy's head, sucking out their insides. Pal mummies are occasionally found, but these are in fact Killamari victims."
The lore: It's so spooky and dangerous! It's an adorable little Cthulhu!
The inspiration: "Make the cuttle look like a hat, and the two longer tentacles squid have are its arms" is a common design element between Killamari and Inkay (and I guess Tentacool) but let's be real here, Killmari isn't a Pokemon. It's an adorable little D&D Mindflayer, right down to the hideous nightmare maw on the underside that sucks brains right out of other creatures' skulls.
The name: Calamari is octopus instead of squid but I'll let it pass.
In gameplay: Killamari's Partner Skill lets the player use it as a glider. It has lots of stamina and isn't likely to drop the Tamer, so it's certainly better as a glider than the parachute they're likely to have around the time Killamari starts showing up. But gliding isn't that great a way to get around in the first place, and it's easy to avoid fall damage by just opening the glider seconds before the Tamer splats on the ground. The Tamer drifts gently to earth for those last few feet, and never has to worry about dislocating their shoulders.

Talkin' Pals: 019 Daedream, the "Dream Eater"
"It puts those it is interested in to sleep and shows them an endless stream of happy dreams. Those who fall under its spell are never to wake until death takes them."
The lore: It's cute, but it's so spoooooky!
The inspiration: It doesn't look even a little bit like a tapir like those dream-themed Pokemon, and Pokemon doesn't have a "sleep paralysis demon, but cute" creature in it. Comparisons can be drawn with Misdreavus or Mismagius, I guess.
The name: As bad as Nitewing for the opposite reason. Nitewing is a diurnal creature with "night" in the name, Daedream is a nocturnal creature with "day" in the name. They only appear in caves, regardless of the day/night cycle, but still.
In gameplay: Cattiva is a great earlygame Pal for utility purposes. Daedream is a great earlygame Pal for combat purposes. Once the player creates a Daedream's Necklace, any Daedream in the party will follow them around and help hadouken Pals into submission, even if they're not the active Pal. It's not unusual to enter dangerous Alpha fights or caves with a troop of Daedreams just for the passive damage. Around midgame this starts to drop off in effectiveness -- they only shoot the basic Dark attack they learn at level 1 -- but I guess Hoocrates can stretch that a little bit, maybe.

Talkin' Pals: #024 Mau, the "Noble Glimmer"
"Its hard tail does not deteriorate even when cut off. Some believed these severed tails to be good luck, but for the innumerable Mau who were poached as a result, they were anything but."
The lore: That lucky rabbit's foot sure weren't lucky for the rabbit! Har har!
The inspiration: It's a cat that collects money, making it thematically similar to Meowth or Persian, but doesn't look like Persian apart from "cat-shaped". (Not like Persian looks like much aside from being generally cat-shaped, but that's neither here nor there.) It's more "Egypt revered cats, so here's a cat adorned with Egyptian-style jewelry."
Is the name a pun: It's the Egyptian word for "cat", which in turn is based off of that thing cats say. So this is a mon that does the Pokemon thing of saying its own name, approached from the other way around. (Mau, like Teaphant, was also named in a Discord contest.) Its name in the Japanese release is just "cat that is Bastet".
In gameplay: Its Partner Skill is "Gold Digger", allowing it to generate cash money when working on a ranch. It doesn't make all that much, though.

Talkin' Pals: 013: Gumoss, the "Suddenly Transformed"
"A strange Pal with a body resembling tree sap. It gradually loses strength if it has nothing to cover its body with, eventually rotting away."
The lore: I guess a slime monster was inevitable, it's a video game.
The inspiration: It's a snail or mollusk sort of thing made of tree sap, and I feel like there's a bit more potential there than Gumoss really taps into. A blob with dot eyes and a wibbly line for a mouth makes it look quite a bit like a Ditto wearing a hat, and not entirely unlike those onion-shaped guys from Dragon Quest.
The name: "Gum" makes sense, "moss" less so. It's tree sap with an acorn shell on top, moss doesn't factor into it!
In gameplay: Wait damn Gumoss is Grass/Ground? I guess it beats out Fuddler as the first Ground-type a player is likely to see, then. So I guess I didn't need to go find Fuddler at all! Ha ha! Oh well.

Next time: we flyin'.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:51 pm

Part 6: Double Base

By the time I get back, I have enough ingots to craft that Nitewing Saddle. There's a workbench specifically for crafting items that Pals need for their Partner Skills, so I huck one of those together and get started.

I've also reached level 18, which allows me to build walls out of stone. So now it's time to build a proper base, one that won't burn to the ground as soon as the game throws a fire-type Pal at me in a raid.

View from above, as the base is now. I can do views from above now, on the back of my Nitewing! As you can see it's just a bunch of junk tossed together around a cluster of ore nodes.

Put the Pals away, demolish everything, and start placing foundations.

Talking Mechanics: Base Structures
The game is weirdly precise about how bases can and cannot be built. Foundations will turn uneven ground into a flat surface to build workstations and stuff on, and foundations will snap to one another to make sure everything is level, but that's the only convenience provided.
Foundations can reach pretty far downward, but building on an uneven patch will eventually run into a "Not placed on solid ground" error. This leads to cliff edges or ravines having some irregularly-shaped curves because there's no way to bridge the gap between foundations with a horizontal surface.
Walls must be built on a foundation. Stairs can be built from a foundation and clip into the ground, giving a way to climb from turf onto the structure. Building stairs upward demands a wall to brace against at the top, and a wall has to be rooted to a foundation, and the edge of a foundation will not snap to the top of stairs or walls.
The end result is that a base that has a big hill on one side, like this one, can't all be covered in one structure. I have to build a foundation on the lower level, build a separate foundation on an upper level, and hope to god the stairs connected to the top level are close enough to the bottom that Pal pathfinding still works.

And then there's just plain ol' regular issues of clipping through the landscape. I got these stairs to attach at the top in a way that lines up with the foundation on the lower level, they work, but I can't just leave it like this. After fighting the in-game engine for a while I tear down the structures on this side of the hill and leave it bare. (Yes, this image is scorched a bit, building stuff is a several-day-ingame project. It was the middle of the night and the screenshot was an inky blur without some brightness and contrast correction.)

Talking Jank: Base Building
I kind of hate how the area you get for a base is round, but the foundations and walls are all square.
Another quirk of building structures is that Pals' pathfinding is kind of garbage. It takes wide lanes and tall ceilings for Pals to not get stuck somewhere and starve themselves, and even then it's not guaranteed. Once I start catching the really big Pals, like Mammorest big, they'll need plenty of room to maneuver.

That's a problem for later, though. I tear the roof/second floor off the structure because I'm out of stone again, and need to reclaim the materials to use elsewhere.

I have to go over to the Alpha Chillet's side of the ravine to refill my stock of stone, and it gets curious enough about the new building that it wanders onto the bridge.
Fall damage is a thing for Pals, too (including, oddly enough, Pals capable of flight) so if I'd thought about it I probably could have had a Cattiva attack it and its flurry rush would have knocked Alpha Chillet to the bottom of the ravine for a quick kill.

The Cattiva/Fuddler troop managed to build enough beds for everyone before night fell again, so I don't know why this doofus is sleeping on the bare stone floor.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:52 pm

I get my base structures back up and running -- logging and rock pits in the little recesses in the walls, workbenches and the furnace under the stairs, berry farms and a new wheat farm in the opposite corner, beds and hot springs for everyone to take a load off -- and head out on my new flying steed. Those Lifmunk effigies at the tops of mountains are going to be much easier to reach now!
Also hey, remember the intro told me about a tree? There it is, taking up the entire horizon. It's across the entire map from where I am, further away than those snowy mountains on the right. It's just huge.

Talkin' Mechanics: Mounts
A significant number of Pals in the game can be ridden, once a saddle is crafted for them.
Most Pals walk. Those that fly tend to fly exclusively, and never land on the ground or enter the water. Nitewing is one of those; it never touches the ground.
Being mounted moves the Pal Tamer at whatever the mount's walking or flying speed is. For some big, lumbering mounts this is slower than the Tamer's natural walking speed, but most are faster. Mounts can jump, but not climb walls. For most mounts, entering the water will make it swim, depleting its stamina just like the Tamer's.
Mounts can run or fly faster, which depletes their stamina as well. For flying mounts, ascending higher also consumes stamina, so flying up the side of a tall mountain might require stopping to rest at whatever little cliffs or outcroppings can be found. Returning to walking pace, or descending to the ground, will restore the mount's stamina.
While mounted, the Pal Tamer can use their own attacks and throw Pal Spheres. The Pal can also be commanded to use any of the moves it knows. A few Pals have Partner Skills with special effects for the Tamer when mounted, like augmenting their attacks with elemental types or protecting them from the effects of ambient temperature.

I accidentally fly over to "not the newbie hills anymore" area and run into a few cultists who outlevel me and Nitewing both. They have electric bolts on their crossbows but thankfully electric attacks aren't super-effective against flying mons. Nitewing is stunned but not KOed, and I manage to fly away once the static wears off.

I head west instead, back to the area that looks like it's always autumn. There are a few ruined churches scattered around the map...

And each one has a statue of power inside (and usually a chest spawn point). I've been flying around collecting Effigies so I take a moment to power up again before I head out. I guess the implication here is that whatever ancient civilization keeps getting mentioned in the Paldeck worshipped Lucarios in the distant past.
There's a fast travel point nearby but I neglected to screenshot an updated map. Sorry.

You'd think a colossal skeleton half-submerged in the water might have some kind of secret or loot or something on it or in it. Nope!

I've been flying around for a while, nabbing Effigies and eggs whenever I see them. I can't build an incubator yet, and eventually remember why that is. Time to go take down the Alpha Chillet.

Talkin' Mechanics: Like Humans, Pals Also Sleep At Night
A sleeping Pal will take extra damage from the attack that wakes it up. And since any shot to the head or face is a critical hit, and sleeping Pals don't move around too much, it's pretty easy to stack that damage multiplier on, too. Once I get a weapon that can do a single big damage spike I'll be able to do some serious damage by ambushing stuff while it's asleep.

It'll be back in an hour of real time.

As a reward I got more Ancient Civ Parts, some leather to put toward my pelt armor, and a few more of those good-as-cash items. Also an Ancient Technology Point. Defeating any of the map alphas (rather than cave-boss alphas) for the first time gives one Ancient Tech Point.

Talkin' Pals: 055: Chillet, the "Dancer on the Plains"
"It can curl up its body and roll around at extremely high speeds. Long ago, people would tie bags of milk to domesticated Chillet as they grazed to produce butter using this spinning force."
The lore: "It's a big ferret and still behaves like a ferret."
The inspiration: It looks more like it could be a kind of Pokemon than most pals, without looking like a specific Pokemon species. Of course there's already a couple mustelid Pokemon, but I don't think Chillet looks all that much like one of them, particularly with Chillet's overexaggerated serpentlike body to reflect its Dragon typing.
Is the name a pun: It's a chilly ferret. I might have gone for a snow/stoat portmanteau but I didn't name the Pals, now did I?
In gameplay: Chillet is an introduction to a couple things. It's the lowest-level Alpha Pal on the map, so it's a good place to start fighting those. It's the first Ice-type available barring random draw from a Syndicate fort, and an easier Dragon-type to catch than the Dinossoms on newbie hill. Once its saddle is crafted it's a mount to ride, and while mounted, it augments the Tamer's attacks with the dragon element. Adding dragon-type to attacks is particularly useful at night given the advantage dragon has over the dark-type Pals that spawn when the moon is up. Its stats aren't awesome but it remains pretty strong well into lategame thanks to its typing (particularly against a boss later on that seems tailor-made to be stomped, specifically, by Chillet).

In addition to regular tech unlocks, there's a special tier of structures and gear that can only be unlocked with Ancient Tech Points. I'd hazard to say the most useful thing to unlock is the very first, the egg incubator.

My collection thus far. Eggs that weigh ten whatever-weight-units are the smallest, and will hatch into com mons. Eggs that weight 25 are "large" and will hatch into something bigger and slightly better.
Pink stripes are Common Eggs, and hatch neutral-type pals. Blue with snowflakes are frozen eggs, and hatch ice-type Pals. Yellow with black marks are electric eggs, and hatch that kind of Pal. Red with flames are scorching eggs, and hatch fire-type pals. Purple with spots are dark eggs for dark Pals, blue with drop insignia are damp eggs for digging graves in Kakariko village, and the green one I found back at the very start of the game is a verdant egg, hatching a grass-type Pal.

Talking Jank (by Design): Egg Incubation
Normally, eggs take a couple of real-time hours to hatch. If the ambient temperature is just right for the kind of egg in the incubator, the time is reduced somewhat. That, frankly, is dumb as hell. What's the point of an incubator if it's not temperature-controlled? I'm not building a volcano base just to hatch eggs that like it hot and a base in the frozen tundra just to hatch eggs that like it cold, and then building a dozen incubators in each one so I don't have to wait for one at a time. Not when I can just turn the timer down to zero in world settings and force eggs to hatch immediately. Sorry, do a better game mechanic if you want me to engage with it.

I get a Lunaris, a Direhowl, an Eikthyrdeer, two Tocotoco, a non-alpha Chillet, a Beakon, a Flambelle, an Arsox, another Mau, another Tombat, a Penking, and a Cinnamoth. Whew, this part is gonna be a long Pal writeup, huh. I set the Arsox, Tombat, Penking, and Cinnamoth to work immediately.

Talkin' Pals: #011 Penking, the "Pioneer of the Frozen Sea"
"Surprisingly, it is unrelated to Pengullet. Ever wanting to be the center of attention, this Pal will strut its stuff for any onlookers."
The inspiration: : It's a bigger Pengullet in a tricorne hat. It doesn't look much like a Piplup anymore.
The name: It might not be related to Pengullet but it does have a couple Pengullets with it for its Alpha fight in the Sealed Realm of Frozen Wings. So I guess it can be a penguin king... but why wasn't it named for its pirate-style dress? It looks more like it's wearing a pirate's long coat and hat than it does royal regalia.
In gameplay: Pals don't evolve, so there's not any way to get a Pengullet to turn into a Penking. The breeding mechanics that I'll go into later on are baffling, but sure enough, there's not any way for a Pengullet parent to bear a Penking offspring, or for a Penking to sire a Pengullet. They're biologically unrelated.
Penking has several work suitabilities all at level 2, making it a versatile guy to have around a base. But with so many different suitabilities, it can be easily distracted from the job you want it to do.

Talkin' Pals: #026 Direhowl, the "Hunter of the Steppe"
"Long ago Direhowl would hunt alongside humans but over the years this bond faded."
The lore: If dogs evolved from wolves then why are there still wolves? checkmate atheists
The inspiration: Both Direhowl and Lycanroc look more or less like cartoon wolves, but the neck ruff and coloration patterns in common make it a hard argument that the look of one wasn't based off the other. Frankly it's so generic-looking that Direhowl looks like the sort of thing that would come with 3D modeling software as a demo of what the program can do.
The name: It's not even a dire wolf, "a little bigger than a person" is just how big wolves are. To its credit, it does howl.
In gameplay: Direhowls tend to spawn in groups, and sometimes there will be a Jolthog or Flopie among them that the Direhowls immediately gang up on. You can intervene and save the Jolthog/Flopie if you're quick. Apparently Direhowls also have a chance to spawn nearby when another Pal is KOed, presumably to scavenge the corpse, but it's hard to tell ingame if that happens because there's no visual indication that's why it appeared, and Direhowls aggro the player on sight.
Once it's caught and its saddle crafted, Direhowl is one of the faster mounts in the game. It doesn't offer extra jumping power or anything, doesn't augment player attacks, and obviously can't fly, but it's quick. It's an excellent mount to bring into caves, where flight is a lot less useful and tight passages make some of the bigger mounts impractical.

Talkin' Pals: #027: Tocotoco, "Boom or Bust"
"A frightening Pal that produces exploding eggs. It often fires these eggs from its rear end as a weapon, but when spent the Pal itself explodes."
The lore: Every video game has to have some enemy that explodes at you. Tocotoco preserves the lineage of the noble Bombcrag, the Territorial Oak, and the esteemed Sir Robert-Omb, Esq.
The inspiration: Xatu has the color scheme and patterning that sort of evoke "Central or perhaps South American" design without looking like much of anything in particular. Tocotoco applies that to a dodo bird instead of... well, mostly Xatu looks like a totem pole rather than any specific bird species. But you can see why people are accusing Tocotoco of just being a Xatu with a Toucannon beak slapped on the front.
The name: Despite looking more like a dodo or large chicken, it's named after the toco toucan. Apparently it's also supposed to sound like the "tick-tock" of a time bomb counting down.
In gameplay: Tocotoco's whole thing is that it's explosive. Most Pals learn a simple elemental projectile for their first move. Tocotoco starts with Implode, this game's version of the "knock yourself out to do one strong attack" move. Tocotoco doesn't really have to stats to fight well without blowing itself up, and its signature move, the highest attack power in the game, works by blowing itself up even harder than before.
If you take a Voltorb or Electrode into a Pokemon fight and blow it up, you can patch it right up with a Revive and be right as rain. Resuscitating a downed Pal requires you to go back to base, drop it in the Palbox, and wait ten minutes. This makes Tocotoco wildly impractical for combat, and with its suitability limited to only Gathering 1, it's not very useful on base, either. If you take one with you, it must be to use its Partner Skill as a mid-game explosive projectile.
With their propensity for blowing themselves up -- dealing huge damage if they're close enough to you, and preventing you from catching the damn thing -- Tocotoco make for a massive pain in the ass to encounter in the wild. They travel in groups of three to five, too.

Talkin' Pals: #037 Eikthyrdeer, the "Protector of the Herd"
"The one who possesses the most impressive antlers becomes the leader of the herd. If their antlers are broken, they become depressed and leave the herd never to be seen again."
The lore: nice rack, 11/10 points
The inspiration: Look man, you're designing a deer monster, you make the antlers the focal point. Eikthyrdeer settles for making them really big and iridescent, rather than hypnosis eyes like Stantler or tree limbs like Sawsbuck.
The name: Eikthyrnir is a giant stag from Norse myth, described as nibbling from a giant tree in Valhalla. Given the pronunciation both the "thyr" and "nir" syllables are near-rhmes with the English "deer". (The "eik", should you be curious, is closer to the English "ache".) Me, I'd have recolored the thing into a teal deer, allow me to go into lengthy detail about this weird joke, you might just skim over all the text though.
In gameplay: Eikthyrdeer appears early on, in the newbie areas, but tends to spawn at levels 10-12. Don't pick a fight you can't win, particularly if there are two of them around and attacking one pulls hate from both. As with other mounts, by the time you have the tech unlocked and collect the leather and metal to fashion a saddle, you might as well use 'em on a mount that can fly.

Talkin' Pals: #041: Cinnamoth, the "Butterfly Promenade"
"Sniffing its scales produces a feeling of unparalleled euphoria. There was some effort to further regulate this byproduct, but the Free Pal Alliance have vehemently opposed these measures, putting a stop to them."
The lore: You know how moths in Japanese media have poison scales they shed from their wings? What if those scales were also a recreational narcotic?
The inspiration: Look there's over a thousand Pokemon and like a third of those are butterflies or moths, I'm sure there's some similarities somewhere.
The name: Another baffling portmanteau, what does cinnamon have to do with a poison moth that gets people high? I guess its color scheme could be designed around the hue cinnabar.
In gameplay: You know how every Pokemon game has a dozen or two 'ems in the middle of the Pokedex that people just kind of forget about? Cinnamoth is one of those. It's useful now, on account of getting an egg hatch for one, and it's better at Planting than Tanzee. It'll be obsoleted later, probably by Dinossom.

Talkin' Pals: #042: Arsox, the "Blazing Brute"
"In ancient times, carnivorous Pals pursued them relentlessly. The Arsox's irrational rage transformed into a raging inferno, which has been passed on to this day."
The lore: u mad bro, yeah, u mad
The inspiration: You make a bull, you make it big and strong and angry. So yeah there are some thematic similarities with Tauros, but nobody's comparing Arsox to Toro the Bull from that old Chuck Jones Bugs Bunny short and it was also big, strong, and angry.
The name: It might not look like a creature from some other game, but if there's any argument to be made that the Pal's names were made from AI-generated lists, it's good ol' arse-ox here. They were going for "arson ox", sure, but really? Its name in the Japanese release is "Bulferno", which is an even more awkward portmanteau, but at least it's not arse ox.
In gameplay: I got an Arsox early and put it to work manning the furnaces, since it does so faster than Foxparks does. But really, Arsox is pretty unremarkable.
Except for the name.
Pff. Arse ox.

Talkin' Pals: #063 Lunaris, the "Extraterrestrial"
"It can control those who carelessly stare into its eyes. Those seen with a Lunaris are in its mind, simply under its control."
The lore: floaty mind-control alien, a classic
The inspiration: Pals aren't as closely based off of yokai or Japanese myths as Pokemon often are, but I think this time they got one that Pokemon hasn't done yet: a lunar-themed rabbit creature. That said, it's pretty darn similar to Mega Mewtwo Y, isn't it?
The name: It's just "luna", for the moon. It was another Pal named by fan submission in a contest. It's still better than it could be, in development, it was just called "Mutant".
In gameplay: With Handiwork 3, I want to leave Lunaris at my base to build stuff. But with a better carry-weight increase than Cattiva, I also want Lunaris in my party to help stow loot. It's a tough call.

Talkin' Pals: #070: Flambelle, the "Molten Daughter"
"When it starts crying, this Pal produces magma in place of tears. The magma that pours out is absorbed back into its body, causing it to get hotter and hotter. The more it cries, the stronger it becomes."
The lore: thermodynamics do not work that way
The inspiration: The "blob of magma" Pokemon is a slug, not a cute little girl. Its feedback loop of crying harder and harder to amplify its power brings to mind Whismur's crying loud enough to startle itself, so that it cries even more.
The name: A pretty good pun, this time! A beau is a charming young man, and a flambeau is a torch. A belle is a beautiful girl, so this Flambelle is a torch that looks like a little girl.
In gameplay: Back at base, Flambelle produces Flame Organs that most fire-types drop. A supply of Flame Organs means I might switch over to making fire arrows instead of regular arrows and craft a Fire Crossbow to shoot them with.

Talkin' Pals: #073: Beakon, the "Wings of Thunder"
"Some think it is a related species to Ragnahawk, but there is in fact no connection. Using its sharp beak, it descends on its prey in a quick motion that resembles a bolt of lightning."
The lore: I haven't even seen a Ragnahawk yet, but when I see one, I'm gonna be all "some think you are a related species to Beakon, but there is in fact no connection."
The inspiration: It is an electric bird and it has yellow and black plumage it must be Zapdos! Yeah but most of the electric Pals (and no small number of Electric Pokemon) have a yellow and black color scheme, so who's to say.
The name: It's not really a beacon leading to anything, but it does have a beak.
In gameplay: Beakon is pretty good in a fight but its main advantage is that it's faster than Nitewing. It's not particularly fast, objectively, but Nitewing moves so sluggishly that it feels like a big upgrade. Unfortunately, the saddle to ride it is locked behind experience level 34, so it'll be a while before I can fly at anything more than a ponderous pace.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:58 pm

With a supply of ingots and nails in hand, I spend some time just meeting the demands of base upgrades. Nailing together a high-quality workbench nets me level 9. A cooler box (immediately destroyed) and a sphere workbench (makes spheres faster, but nothing else) hit level 10, for a significant upgrade: I can now build a second base somewhere. This one had a location chosen specifically to generate lots of ore for ingots, but now I can branch out and go somewhere else to settle. I already have a wheat farm, throw in a cooking pot and a flour mill to hit level 11. Then I get a weapon workbench (builds weapons faster, but nothing else) for level 12. And for level 13, I need to build two Fluffy Pal Beds...

Which do not unlock for another four experience levels. This is where I stop, for now.
Still building and crafting, I notice that the Arsox and one of my Tombats have gotten stressed enough to stop working.

Talkin' Mechanics: Sanity Clause
Chikipi knew this sort of thing would happen sooner or later.
Every Pal has a Sanity, it's full at 100 and drains to 0.
Working depletes Sanity, as does taking combat damage or starving. It's possible to build a Monitoring Stand to command Pals at a base work at breakneck speed, which has the tradeoff effects on productivity and sanity you might expect.
Pals that work will occasionally take breaks to get a few points of sanity back, and if there's a hot spring, they'll take their breaks there to restore sanity further. Sleeping in a comfy bed (the ones I can't build yet) restore sanity overnight. Eating raw berries will keep a Pal fed, but better food, namely cooked food, will restore sanity too. Pals working in a ranch or breeding farm don't lose sanity in the first place.
At low sanity, Pals will refuse to work or go to sleep during the day. If pushed until sanity is at 0, the Pal will develop a semi-permanent debuff that tanks their combat capability and both their willingness and ability to do work.
"Does Palworld encourage animal cruelty" I mean, it allows for it, sure. But when your Pals are upset or hurt they don't work as well, which has repercussions on gameplay, so it's in the player's best interests to keep them happy.

Talkin' Jank: Multiplayer Drives Me Crazy
On multiplayer servers, time continues to pass for a player's Pals even when that player isn't around. But a Pal's ability to take care of itself seems to be tied to their own Tamer, so if they're not around, the game forgets to check whether they need to eat or sleep. When I first downloaded the game I played for an afternoon, set up my first base, got a few structures built, and then... couldn't log back in for a week. When I got back, all of my Pals were depressed and injured from working themselves half to death.
Until the game fixes that, the advice for playing multiplayer is to put all the Pals at a base back into the Palbox before logging out. They won't get anything done, but the player also won't have to fix everything that went tits-up while they were away.

Usually Pals will stop working and go relax if they're starting to feel stressed, so I don't know what happened to these two. Arsox went to bed in the middle of the day, and there's no stirring it, but I can pick up Tombat and throw it directly into the hot spring to start restoring its sanity. It doesn't land in the hot spring but seems to be enjoying itself anyway.

Metal and nails mean the three-arrow bow is already obsolete. Three attacks at power 40 was nice, but one shot at power 280 is damn nice. Just don't miss, crossbows are single-shot and take a long time to reload.

Come on, guys, I built you beds. I know they're not padded with more than straw but I can't build those yet.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:59 pm

I wanna try something. It's a little risky, but nothing to lose but my life, and I got that for free!

First, north across the sea to Gobfin's Domain.
Right across the river/inlet/whatever to the west is where those level 22 cultists lit me up with their crossbows. I'm a little outleveled here. On the upside, the random loot lying around is slightly better, such as Mega Spheres instead of Pal Spheres.

Even the Syndicate Thugs here are at least level 15. I stick to flying over the water, where hostile Pals won't spawn, going out of my way only to collect the odd Lifmunk Effigy, until I reach Cold Shores in the north.

Those ominous-looking towers in the distance are my goal.

I definitely can't engage anything here, nothing is less than level 35. With that level difference I'd barely scratch a mob that I pulled any hate from, and I'm leveled more than my Pals so they wouldn't help either. sneak sneak sneak

*furious, muffled Nitewing noises*
I fly to the top of a spire to collect an Effigy, but can't land on top. Nitewing clips right through. Early Access, lolz

Here we are. This isn't the tallest tower, but it is the widest. I'm glad to see wild Chillets up here, they're one of the few Pals in the area that wouldn't immediately try to murder me on sight.

'Sbig.

So this is where I'm going to put up my second base. Hostile mobs don't spawn within a particular radius of a base, and since the base covers almost the entirety of the top of this tower, that means they would have to spawn down on the ground, where they can't possibly reach me. This base is utterly safe from other Pals, including raids. It's completely flat, wide-open space, so Pals shouldn't have any problem pathing around. Even without any natural resources to harvest here it's a pretty good spot for a base, just because so few areas are this wide-open and still safe from raids.
All of a given player's bases are the same level, so I don't have to start over with all the same basic infrastructure to level this one up.

It was a pretty long journey on a slow flyer, but I made it. Going further north would get me into the endgame frozen mountain areas, and I don't have access to the weather-resistant gear I'd need to survive that. But this tower was the goal, and is as far as I'm going for now.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 pm

Since each base is a fast-travel point, I can teleport from one base to another. This despawns the two Chillet that were hanging around, so no more hostiles will appear on the tower-top. I drop off the Huge Verdant Egg I found on my way up to Cold Shores, and it hatches into an Elizabee. I gather some wood and stone to build the base basics and head back to Cold Shores.

Talkin' Pals: #051: Elizabee, "Empress of the Hive"
"A chosen queen to rule over Beegardes. There is a never ending stream of servants willing to work themselves to death for the pleasure of serving their queen."
The lore: It's a queen bee. Odd to find the queen bee before any of the worker bees show up, but that's nonlinear gameplay for ya. As "queen bee" is the entirety of Elizabee's gimmick it's not like I have anything else to talk about here, though.
The inspiration: If you were gonna copy Vespiquen you might as well bring over the coolest part of the design, that Vespiquen's lower torso looks like a wasp nest. This is just a humanoid monster with some bug parts and a crown.
The name: Elizabeth was a famous queen or two, right
In gameplay: Despite that all the important bees in a hive are female, not even Elizabee is a 100% female species. There are more females than males, but it's still a little odd. Elizabee has a Partner Skill that raises its stats in battle for every Beegarde in the party, but I haven't played around with that much on account of "one fighter and n supports so that fighter is actually good" seems less useful than just using a strong mon in the first place.

Base-building tools are pretty rudimentary, there's no way to measure anything from anything. You're just eyeballing it. I didn't have my Palbox set up right in the center, so I busted it down to move it over a skosh. Three level forty hostiles immediately appeared out of thin air. Yipe!
I slap together another Palbox as fast as I can, teleport out to despawn them, and teleport back. This one's definitely not perfectly centered but I'm not gonna try to move it again.

I don't know why, but the ground in the very center doesn't count as ground, and I can't build foundation on it. And without any way to measure, the foundations aren't spread around evenly in the circle I'm allowed to build them on. Thanks, I hate it! After three or four tries to get it looking okay I settle for just building on the bare ground without foundations, around the rim of the circle, where the floor is made of floor.

Well, the new base can have one structure on it. It seems right.

In the writeup for Lunaris I mentioned how it'd be great for building stuff at base and for keeping in the party with me. I can have the best of both worlds by keeping Lunaris in my party for its Partner Skill passive, putting a task up on a workstation, and then throwing Lunaris's sphere directly at the workstation to tell it to do the job there. A job that would take me a full minute and a half, Lunaris can finish inside of six seconds. Handiwork 3 is quick, and it doesn't take long until I have the materials I need to build Cold Shores base in earnest.

Tombat got its panties in a bunch again but at least this time it didn't need me to bodily hurl it into the hot spring to relax.

Beds and hot springs.

Farms, and a ranch. I've mentioned the ranch a couple of times but I guess now's the time to do a Talkin' Mechanics about it.

Talking Mechanics: The Pal Ranch
The ranch is an unusual workstation in that I don't choose what is made here. What comes out depends on whichever Pal is working in the ranch. The Pals that can work at a ranch are the ones with Farming suitability, and every Pal with Farming has a specific item that it generates while there.
Lamballs and Cremises produce wool. Chikipi can finally fulfill their lifelong purpose and start laying eggs. Mau digs up little bags of money. Flambelle drops Flame Organs. Vixy can generate arrows, Pal Spheres, or money at random. There are others, but I'll get to 'em when I get to 'em.
Working at a ranch is pretty easy, and doesn't deplete Pal sanity while they're inside. They still leave to the feedbox to eat, and to go to sleep at night. (Unless they're Mau, which is dark-element and therefore stays up all night to dig for money.)

Continuing the tour, a row of workstations for buildin' stuff.

And while I'm not ready to start breeding Pals yet, I've got a Breeding Farm fuckin' tent set up for when that times comes.

heh heh. comes.

Things will get busier and denser as I tech unlock new structures. I staff the base with some guys to work in the ranch making Eggs, money, and Flame Organs. I get a Gumoss to plant the farms, a Teaphant to water them, and some Cattiva to carry stuff around and help with the harvest.

There's not much left to do for a base until I can build those Fluffy Pal Beds, so I head out to catch more Pals.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:05 am

Part 7: You Think You've Seen Lazy Design?

I outlevel that Dinossom by five but it pretty well wrecked my shit anyway. That was close.

Talkin' Pals: 064: Dinossom, the "Guardian of Blossoming Gardens"
"A Pal who once angered cannot be pacified. It rages on and on like an inferno. The phrase 'step on a Dinossom's tail' has come to mean enraging someone."
The lore: Dinossom are docile and mostly ignore the player, but sure enough once you hit one they throw a little stompy tantrum and... well, you see what it can do to someone five levels higher than it is.
The inspiration: I know I've been giving Pal designs a lot of credit for common design inspiration or color schemes or whataever, but there's no excusing this one. If Goodra and Meganium could have crossbred offspring, and it wore Lilligant's severed head as a hat, it would look exactly like a Dinossom.
The name: It's a dinosaur that blossoms. It's not as awesome as you'd think.
In gameplay: By the time you can reasonably catch a Dinossom, you're probably looking more for Pals to work on base that do one or two things well rather than generalists who can handle a variety of tasks. Dinossom makes a pretty decent crop-planter and tree-toppler that doesn't get distracted with other jobs. It's also no slouch in combat, since it's grass/dragon type and anything with the dragon element is on the stronger side.

I get back to base to swap Dinossom into Gumoss's spot, and find all of the Pals I had staffing it have vanished. Where'd everybody go? I have to put everyone back in the Palbox, then pull them out again to force-spawn them. Even then their movement is kind of janky and uneven. Never seen that before, but hey. Early access, lolz.

Building a box to keep stuff in, I spot Dinossom sliding around the edge of the base in a t-pose, get jammed when it runs into the side of the mill, and teleport over to the farm to plant some wheat. What the hell is happening here?

Whoops, ha ha. By the time I had enough Leather to build the Epic-level Pelt Armor I found on that schematic a while back, I'd leveled up enough that I can just build regular Metal Armor instead. Metal Armor is defense 70, compared to Epic Pelt Armor's 52. I can also build a Metal Helm, for 50 more defense. Given that I was still wearing regular clothes, my survivability just shot way up. But just to be sure, I also build myself a Mega Shield capable of absorbing even more damage.

Talkin' Jank: Equipment Rarities
Rarities go from unlabled to uncommon to rare to epic to legendary. There is not a single piece of equipment in the game where the "legendary" item is better than waiting a couple more experience levels and unlocking the next tier of equipment. Legendary Clothes are surpassed by regular Pelt Armor. Legendary Pelt Armor is surpassed by regular Metal Armor, as described just now. Legendary Metal Armor, as you might guess, is surpassed by the next tier up, regular Refined Metal Armor.
Weapons are the same. There's no way to get an Old Bow up to match the attack power of a Three-Shot Bow, and no way to get a Three-Shot Bow that can surpass the Crossbow.
Anything other than the basic level of equipment requires a schematic to build. Uncommon schematics aren't all that hard to find, but Rares and Epics are lucky drops and Legendaries are only dropped by specific Alpha Pals. Then it takes extra materials, including the Ancient Civilization Parts that are also only dropped from Alpha Pals, to make. It's so much easier to just go catch other Pals until the Tamer levels up enough to build the next tier of equipment instead and ignore rarities entirely, up until the last tier of equipment is unlocked. So it's all kind of pointless, up until experience level 40 or so... and even then the best schematics are dropped by the toughest Alpha fights in the game.

I'm still catching lots of Pals, trying to get up to 10 of any species I can for the EXP. I'm also shooting any Lamballs I see to collect wool to spin into cloth. End result is that I have no shortage of fresh meat. Food will rot if I don't do anything with it within a few minutes of harvesting the stuff, so I cook it off to make it more valuable and sell it for cash.

Eggs are free Pals I don't have to fight down to low HP and throw Spheres at, so I nab any I can see while I'm out. I hatch Celeray and Galeclaw along with a few others I have already.

Talkin' Pals: #025: Celaray, the "Soaring Skyfish"
"Riding the wind, this Pal travels where it pleases. Should it find a partner along the way, the encounter will mark its journey's end."
The lore: Do you think middle-aged Celaray ever think about how much happier they were unburdened by the responsibility of their relationships, back when they would just glide wherever the wind would take them?
The inspiration: "We wanna do a manta ray monster. But water-types that are restricted to only being in the water are no fun, so this one is going to glide around a few feet above the ground." - whoever designed Mantine and whoever designed Celaray, I guess. All that having been said... that is Latias's face.
The name: "Ray" is obvious, but it doesn't have anything to do with celery. It's not even grass-type. My best guess is "accelerate", but in that case, why isn't it "Acceleray"?
In gameplay: If you can craft the item needed to do so, Celaray can be used as a glider in the very early game. But Celaray tend to hang out waaay out over the water where you can't attack them in melee, so it might be tough to catch one until you can craft a bow... which shows up around the same time as the first glider. And even then, Celaray is almost immediately obsoleted by Killamari, Galeclaw, or Nitewing.

Talkin' Pals: #047 Galeclaw, the "Proud Courier"
"A Pal that can easily take flight even while grasping a human. It is, however, prone to letting go when tired, which has led to the sudden demise of more than a few souls."
The lore: While it may sound like another "it's so helpful and cute, but with a cruel twist!" Paldeck entry, this one is actually an important gameplay hint.
The inspiration: The body shape and coloration look a lot like Mega Pigeot, but also like any number of hawks IRL life.
The name: It can whip up wind attacks by flapping its wings like any flying-type worth its sodium chloride, but the claws you can hang onto are the real allure. Name it after both of those things.
In gameplay: It takes a tech unlock to get a falconer's glove that lets you hold onto the thing, but Galeclaw can be used as a glider like Celeray. Galeclaw's major advantage over other "use as a glider" Pals (and the gliders built and equipped as items) is that it only takes one hand to do it, leaving the other open to shoot weapons. But as its Paldeck entry makes clear, watch that stamina meter, because it absolutely will drop you once it runs out.

Solid Snake be like

This isn't Syndicate infighting. They're trying to mob a Mau that's watching them from across the room, swinging at a spot where it's not. Say it with me again: Early Acccess, lolz.

There's another new one. The game always starts in Windswept Hills, but upon death the player is given the option to respawn at several points scattered across the map. Other restart points have a lot of Rooby but I haven't been over to them yet, so this is the first I've seen of 'em.

Talkin' Pals: #009 Rooby
"Wild Rooby surprisingly never get sick. Eating one piece of charcoal a day, made by burning a branch, is the secret to its eternal health."
The lore: Charcoal purges toxins from the body, typical trendy health woo. Coming up next, the aromatherapy Pal made of a sentient glob of essential oils.
The inspiration: If you're going to take an order of animals that Pokemon has already done -- and good lord, isn't that most of them by now? -- at least give it an unusual elemental type. Rooby is just a deer that's on fire, yeah, but it's not all that often you see a deer-on-fire monster.
The name: For its ruby-red coloration, I guess.
In gameplay: Almost entirely interchangeable with Foxparks most of the time. Its only difference is that Rooby has a passive ability that boosts the power of other Fire-types on the team, whereas Foxparks is equipped as a flamethrower. Por que no los dos? It'd probably work to have a Rooby in reserve when you start blasting things with Foxparks to deal more damage.

Rewards for this cave include a Thermal Undershirt, an accessory that gives me a level of cold resistance. Not resistance to Ice-elemental attacks, just the ability to not die when it gets a little chilly outside. (I'll need three levels of resistance to bear the freezing cold of the tundra or mountaintop biomes, but it's a start.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:06 am

Hey, it's the "You didn't build your base out of wood or anything, did you?" crew.

The Violent Wild Pals always include Incineram and Leezpunk. Incineram specifically will hork fire attacks onto any wooden structures it can, so this right here is the exact reason I waited until I could build with stone before I bothered with any structures at all. Since I've built my base at the top of a mesa, a raid that spawns on the ground doesn't have any way to get up there and start wrecking my stuff anyway. They all just dronejam into a corner at the cliff base, staring at the wall while I jab them with my spear and chuck Pal Spheres at the backs of their heads.

Aw man, you almost made it!

Talkin' Pals: #040 Incineram, the "Hyena of the Wild"
"In the dark of night, this Pal snatches prey to bring back to its territory. What happens to those poor souls afterwards isn't too hard to imagine."
The lore: This one isn't cute with a dangerous twist, it's just a straight-up asshole.
The inspiration: Baphomet. Like, straight up, it's called "Baphomet" in internal game files.
The name: Named for a ram that incinerates things. But it's really more of a goat crossed with traditional devil imagery, isn't it? And why the hell does its ingame description call it a hyena? (The name, like others, was chosen by fans.)
In gameplay: They have a varied smattering of work suitabilities, and being part Dark-type means they don't sleep at night and continue to pound away at whatever job they're doing. Their partner skill lets them use their unique combat move on command, so they're primarily made for fighting.

Talkin' Pals: #045 Leezpunk, the "Self-Proclaimed Genius"
"A Pal that always takes great care to maintain a stylish stance. Always on the hunt for the coolest poses, if given a mirror it will spend all day posing in front of it."
The lore: Pff. Real punks don't give a shit what anyone thinks. More like Lizposeur.
The inspiration: My Little Pony's Spike the Dragon, wearing a hoodie and obsessed with self-promotion. No, wait, a gangbanger hoodlum lizard with makeshift clothes is almost 100% Scrafty.
The name: As usual, it doesn't really evoke anything about the Pal's trademark traits or anything. What's a good portmanteau of some kind of lizard or dragon with "insufferable narcissist"?
In gameplay: Leezpunk aren't very good for much tbh honest

Another unremarkable cave later and I have an Uncommon Crossbow schematic. It's a little galling to find a better schematic so soon after building the original, but the 84 extra attack power helps assuage that.

I have cloth for only one of the two Fluffy Beds I need. Rats.

This is Ice Wind Island, presumably named for being so close to the deep-frozen areas of the map. Despite the endgame zone being right over there, this is another newbie area; the next island over is one of those respawn options I mentioned earlier. Sure enough, this is where wild Rooby roam.

Let's see, what else did I pick up on this expedition...

Talkin' Pals: 017 Depresso, "Several sleepless nights later"
"It has few friends because of the perpetually grouchy look on its face, but it is in fact kindhearted. Some have seen it feeding Vixy who have strayed from their pack."
The lore: The lore paints Depresso as being kindhearted but the gameplay doesn't bear this out. They're one of the first Pals that the player is likely to run into that are hostile on sight.
The inspiration: Does "Millennial zeitgeist" count as an inspiration? According to its Japanese name, it's supposed to be a koala, not a cat. It does look rather a lot like an Espurr that's emotionally constipated, though.
The name: It looks grumpy and drinks a lot of caffeine, so it's named (by the devteam Discord) after a combination of depression and espresso.
In gameplay: It's more amusing than effective. For its Partner Skill, Depresso "downs several energy drinks" and increases its move speed. Not its attack power, or attack cooldowns, or work suitability, just its move speed. And it can't be ridden as a mount, so that's not terribly useful.
Likewise, it puts an amusingly tiny amount of effort into its work. It can mine, for example, but it brings out a little pickaxe and half-assedly taps it against the rock it's trying to break up. When it relaxes in the hot spring, it just floats facedown in the water.

Talkin' Pals: 020 Rushoar, the "Woodland Ruffian"
"Being extremely aggressive Pal, it often picks fights before gauging its opponent's strength. Though small, its powerful charge can even send boulders flying.
The lore: angry piggums
The inspiration: There are plenty of porcine Pokemon but Rushoar doesn't really look like any of them. That's probably because those Pokemon have gimmicks or flair that make them more visually distinct than Rushoar is, since it's about as generic a cartoon boar as is imaginable.
The name: It's a boar that rushes. Portmanteau of any vaguely-related words that spring to mind sure do make easy if uninspired names, don't they?
In gameplay: If Depresso isn't the first hostile Pal a player meets, Rushoar probably is. They can be ridden as a mount, with a saddle that unlocks early on the tech tree. But they're still an earlygame mon, so they're quickly outclassed in anything a Tamer might want them to do.

Talkin' Pals: 039 Ribbuny, with the "Heart-Melting Smile"
"A Pal who's never without a bright smile. Occasionally, it gets its tentacles tied up in knots by Cattiva's pranks. During those moments, its expression changes into something altogether demonic."
The lore: We're cute! We're scary!
The inspiration: Put Sylveon's ribbon-tentacles on a rabbit instead of a fennec fox and this is what you get.
The name: Bunny. Ribbon. Ribbon bunny.
In gameplay: Ribbuny gets a small boost to its work speed if it is working, specifically, at a Weapon Workbench. Do Weapon Assembly Lines count? I don't know, and have never cared to check. It's only Handiwork 1 anyway, so even with a boost it's not likely to outpace Pals that have higher Handiwork to begin with.

Like Pals, humans also sleep at night. If you can find a group of Syndicate thugs on a bivouac, you can shoot them in the head while they sleep and be on your merry way. One-hit kills are easy.

Unimpressed with Mau's cash output on the ranch, I swapped them out for Vixy. That's more like what I want to see, free Pal Spheres and crossbow ammo lying all over the place. They're probably what I would have spent my money on anyway! (I hate having to scorch over-dark images but if I hadn't you wouldn't even be able to tell Mau was even there.)

On my way over to newbie island, I picked up a couple of Frozen eggs. The first is a Mau Cryst, introducing a new concept I haven't talked about yet: element variations!

Talkin' Mechanics: Element Variations
Some Pals have a variant of a different element than they are normally. Mau is a Dark-type, but Mau Cryst is an Ice-type. Partner Skills are usually the same, but sometimes the element shift means there are different work suitabilities for the alternate Pal. Elemental variants usually have base stats a little bit higher than their non-variant counterparts.
Fire-element variations are called whatever the original species was called, plus "Ignis". Ice-element variations are <$varname> Cryst. Water is "Aqua", ground is "Terra", electric is "Lux", grass is "Botan", dark is "Noct". There aren't any neutral- or dragon-element variations in the game.
Honestly the whole thing strikes me as kind of lazy. Cassette Beasts also does elemental variations for its mons, but it's a whole thing where any mon can be any type, with a new color palette to match. Regional variant Pokemon were a fresh idea to update power creep seven sequels into a franchise. But come on, there are only 110 Pals, and you're already recycling ideas? They don't even give them new names! The names don't even fit the new elemental types! Lazy!

Since they're based on other species already described, there's usually not much to say about an elemental variant's name or design. I'm just going to lump elemental variations in underneath the regular Pal descriptions as they show up, since there's usually so little noteworthy about them.

So to catch up, here are elemental variations on the Pals I've caught so far:

Talkin' Pals: 064 Dinossom Lux, the "Guardian of Lightning"
"Though struck by lightning, it lives on. The phrase "struck by a Dinossom Lux's bolt" has come to mean narrowly escaping death."
Element shift: Dinossom is grass/dragon, Dinossom Lux is electric/dragon.
In gameplay: They're okay at Electricity Generation and aren't big enough that they get stuck around base.

Talkin' Pals: 024 Mau Cryst, the "Serene Glimmer"
"Its crystalline tail is beautiful, but shatters when this Pal dies. Some believe it is good luck to raise one, so Mau Cryst in captivity are treated with great care."
Type shift: Mau is dark, Mau Cryst is ice.
The lore: Regular Mau are slaughtered for their lucky charms, but Mau Cryst are gently cared for because they're luckier alive than dead. Good for them!
In gameplay: Their Partner Skill is the same as Mau Regular's, but they do it less because Mau will stay up all night working while Mau Cryst sleeps.

Talkin' Pals: 037 Eikthyrdeer Terra, with "Antlers of Gold"
"The individual with the hardest horns becomes the leader. Once the horns are lost, so too is the leadership status. It leaves the herd admist farewell glances and quietly returns to the earth."
Type shift: Eikthydeer is neutral, Eikthyrdeer Terra is ground.
In gameplay: Elemental variants aren't terribly different than their regular counterparts in most ways, most of the time. Eikthyrdeer Terra has the same Partner Skill and about the same power level as Eikthyrdeer, so any appeal it has is based solely on whether the player really needs a ground-type around the time they become available.

Talkin' Pals: 090 Mammorest Cryst, the "Frozen King"
"The vegetation on its back varies from individual to individual. There was a time when seeds of presumed extinct plants were found still frozen on the back of a Mammorest Cryst."
Type shift: Mammorest is grass, Mammorest Cryst is ice.
The inspiration: I'll grant that mammoths having lived in the Ice Age gives a certain kind of sense to an ice-type mammoth. In fact, why isn't this the default, name it "Avalammoth" or something, and then make the other one "Avalammoth Botan"?
In gameplay: Mammocryst is a veritable loot pinata, for reasons that haven't come up yet but I'll go into once they're topical.

Talkin' Pals: 040b Incineram Noct, the "Hyena of the Darkest Night"
"It specifically targets baby pals, taking them back to its territory. One can only imagine the profound despair of the parent Pal, whose child has been taken away."
Type shift: Incineram is fire/dark, Incineram Noct is dark. The base species is dual-type and the variant sheds one of those elements without replacing it. That's unusual.
The inspiration: If Incineram is Baphomet, then Incineram Noct is the Krampus. Kind of weird that they traded Regular's goat horns for deer antlers, though.
In gameplay: Incineram Noct is pure dark-element, but six of the seven moves it learns by level up are fire-element. It's possible to get it the same-type attack benefit by using skill fruits to teach it dark moves, but at that point, why not just... get another dark-type? There's no shortage of 'em.

Talkin' Pals: 045b Leezpunk Ignis, the "Self-Proclaimed Fashionista"
Type shift: Leezpunk is dark, Leezpunk Ignis is fire.
"A Pal that has an unusual obsession with their standing posture. Always in search of the hottest pose, this Pal's owner is constantly presented with fervent stances."
In gameplay: Leezpunk was barely notable as it is, and there's even less to say about Leezpunk But With A Red Hoodie.

Other eggs include Reindrix, Cryolinx, and Vanwyrm Cryst. I haven't even seen a regular Vanwyrm yet, but here's the elemental variant. So now I get to talk about the elemental variant I've caught, and the regular species I haven't. Nonlinear progression do be like that sometimes.

Talkin' Pals: 059 Reindrix, the "Beast of Blizzards"
"Its transparent cerulean antlers glow with the cold of absolute zero. Any who touch them with their bare hands are instantly frozen over and smashed into pieces."
The lore: It's pretty but it'll completely kill you! Look out!
The inspiration: Why not just make an Eikthyrdeer Cryst
The name: A reindeer widely known for a wailing electric guitar rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Woodstock in 1969.
In gameplay: Riding a Reindrix can keep the Tamer cool in hot environments, but odds are pretty slim the player is going to be able to catch one before exploring the hot sides of the map. I did thanks to a lucky egg hatch, but even so I don't want to be stuck on Reindrix's back while I'm there.

Talkin' Pals: 071 Vanwyrm, the "Aerial Marauder"
"The melodies of a flute made from the exoskeleton of a Vanwyrm are said to cross whole mountain ranges. In ages past, such flutes were used to signal an attack."
The lore: The archi-Pal-ago where the game is set certainly does have a lot of imposing mountain peaks and ridges.
The inspiration: The game's internal files call it "BirdDragon". It doesn't appear to be ripped off from anything apart from the general idea "fire-breathing dragon that is birdlike". But it's got an exoskeleton, which is kinda weird.
The name: Wyrm, as in dragon, and Van, as in vanguard, the soldiers that were signalled by blowing into flutes made from its bones.
In gameplay: They're menacing around the time the player enters the Bamboo Groves and make a decent flying mount. But the player should beware that they are awful about clipping through walls and ceilings on base, and often can't do any work and just starve because they're stuck somewhere.

Talkin' Pals: 071b Vanwyrm Cryst, the "Marauder of Frozen Skies"
"The Melodies of a flute made from the exoskeleton of a Vanwyrm Cryst are said to cross whole mountain ranges. In ages past, such flutes were used to signal victory in a battle."
Type shift: Vanwyrm is fire/dark, Vanwyrm Cryst is ice/dark.
In gameplay: As the only ice/dark Pal in the game (at this point, at least) they're the only ones who can do Cooler work overnight. Not that I've built anything that needs Cooler work done, but still.

Talkin' Pals: 083 Cryolinx, the "Predator of Snowy Peaks"
"It can easily climb steep mountains with its hard claws. However, its short legs make it difficult to descend, often leaving it stranded in high places."
The lore: Sometimes cats climb trees and get stuck when they can't figure out how to get down. Here's a cat monster that climbs mountains and is anatomically unable to climb back down.
The inspiration: It's not a Meowth except for "that cat with the long-ass arms" part.
The name: Cryo- for ice, lynx for lynx. It has stripes more like a tiger than a lynx, but are we really expecting accurate terminology out of Pal names at all anymore?
In gameplay: By the time Cryolinx shows up there's a wealth of ice-types to choose from, and without any way to stand out Cryolinx is quickly passed over.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:24 am

And with that, we've seen over 50 different Pals, or at least, 40-odd different Pals and then some elemental variations. That's about a third of the Paldeck. Am I writing out enough about them? Are you seeing what I mean about common design inspirations, up to the rather flagrant copypasting of design elements? Should I go into more detail? Less? The names don't get any better, really. Should I talk about more gameplay elements? My impression is that the actual gameplay is kind of dull and any appeal to the LP is riffing on the Pal designs.

I dunno, what do you think, couple of people who read this?

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:33 pm

i'm here more for the pals than the survival crafting shell which i don't imagine gets particularly more broad or interesting than what you've shown so far

François

Postby François » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:05 am

I think you've got a good balance of elements going on; you switch gears often enough that nothing's wearing off its welcome. I really don't know much about this game but I can't think of a single way I'd cover it better!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:16 am

Niku wrote:i'm here more for the pals than the survival crafting shell which i don't imagine gets particularly more broad or interesting than what you've shown so far

That is correct. I try to cover enough of the gameplay that any of the ways that the gameplay failures can be understood, without dwelling on it too much. Hence e.g. "And here is the last room of the cave complex, since nothing that happened between the entrance and here was worth talking about"

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:48 am

Part 8: Leave Luck to Heaven

Hmm, that's an awfully big Teafant. And it's shedding those little glowing motes of light. And it makes an unusual high-pitched chime when I'm nearby.

This is the first Lucky Pal I've found. Lucky Pals are bigger than other pals, and have the "Lucky" passive trait -- +15% attack and +15% speed to the work they do at base. They also have a random move added to their moveset, in this case, some Electric move that does nothing for Teaphant's already-poor combat capabilities. It's like if a Pokemon being shiny had an actual effect on gameplay! Once captured and put in the party or put to work, a Lucky Pal is still bigger than others but no longer sheds light or sound.

But Teaphants aren't what I'm looking for. I'm in search of a specific Pal that I haven't seen since I first started the game. Here I'm heading northeast from my Windswept Hills base.

Yeah.

I passed by a fortress on my way up to Cold Shores for the first time, but with all the humans inside over level 20 I didn't even try to infiltrate it. These guys are a more reasonable level, so I hop down. And sure enough, when I get close, they all go nutshit on the Nitewing flying nearby and I can sneak in nearly undetected.

I mentioned in Direhowl's writeup that sometimes they'll spawn nearby to scavenge fresh corpses. I've never seen them do that (since I usually aggro them when they get close to whatever it is I just KOed), but here's a Nitewing doing the same thing. It landed next to this dead Syndicate thug and started doing its eating animation.

My reward for gallantly watching a bunch of thugs get wasted by a wild Nitewing they themselves provoked is this Bristla.

Talkin' Pals: 030 Bristla, the "Thorny Rose"
"This prickly Pal's thorns are highly poisonous. It is friendly with Cinnamoth and only smiles when Cinnamoth is drinking its nectar."
The lore: Gardening takes a lot of care and attention, so grass-types tend to be the nurturing type. By contrast this one's cold and aloof, with only one friend in Cinnamoth.
The inspiration: "We're going to make a flower monster that people want to fuck" is the inspiration for several Pokemon already. Bristla just has an ice-queen attitude stapled on top of the general design for people who are into that kind of thing.
The name: She's a thorny plant with a prickly personality.
In gameplay: Bristla can smile if the player chooses to pet them. Cinnamoth don't actually have any effect on Bristla in any way, though they do spawn in the same part of the game world.

It's hard to see in the glare of the sun, but that's a lucky Lamball. None for the entire game up til now, then two Luckies in rapid succession. The cross-type move on this one is the strongest Dark-type move in the game, basically a shadowy Hyper Beam. But it's on a Lamball, so I won't be fighting with this one either.

lol oh yeah
I popped out of the bushes and shot an Eikthyrdeer with my crossbow. I fired twice, three times, knocked its HP down to critical, threw a Pal Sphere. Another Eikthyrdeer dove onto screen, presumably in slow-motion and crying "Noooooo!", lunged in front of the Eikthyrdeer I'd been fighting, and took the Pal Sphere hit. I threw another Sphere at the one I was aiming for in the first place, and caught them both.

Oh hey, it happened. I shot a thing and a Direhowl appeared out of nowhere nearby. It immediately aggroed me instead of eating the corpse like I said they did, but that's confirmation enough that they do in fact spawn in when other stuff gets KOed.

This island should have been thick with the Pal I'm looking for. Where the hell are they?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:50 am

I fast-traveled back to Small Settlement to sell off some loot, and as I teleported in I heard an "ugh". I come around the corner to find the hint-giving NPCs slumped over. The PIDF Officer who was supposedly protecting them hadn't moved. There weren't any hostile Pals or Syndicate thugs around. They just... spawned in with 0 HP and keeled over. Weird. Eerie.

Collecting all the Cloth I want for Fluffy Pal Beds means I get enough to build proper glider for myself, rather than a plain parachute. Now if I'd been using Celaray or Killamari, they'd be entirely obsoleted! Mounts never take falling damage, so as long as I'm on either Nitewing or Direhowl I don't have to worry about it, but it's a backup.

I could keep the hatch time mechanic for eggs in the world settings to slow the tide of new Pals I'm getting, but in that case I'd probably just build a dozen egg incubators and have them all going at once anyway. Kind of a moot point.

Talkin' Pals: 021 Nox, the "Dusken Aristocrat"
"If you find Nox hair in your bedding, you should leave it where it lays and leave immediately. Picking it up is a one-way-ticket to a never ending night."
The lore: This Pal is easily offended into killing people. So edgy.
The inspiration: That's just an Eevee in a cape. In Pokemon Go, where they slap clothing items onto Pokemon for holiday events, you can get an Eevee wearing a little Christmas-themed coat. And sure enough, it looks a hell of a lot like a Nox.
The name: "Nox" means "night". It's a dark-type that curses people into "never-ending night", whatever that means. But there you go. Personally I think they should have made it a neutral-element and then thrown up a variation as "Nox Noct"... but now that I've made that joke about redundant terminology I realize that Nox is more or less just Cremis Noct in the first place.
In gameplay: lol idk I've never used a Nox for anything. Its most noteworthy thing is that I keep parsing "Dusken Aristocrat" as "Drunken Aristocrat", which would make Nox a lot more interesting than it is.

Talkin' Pals: 032 Hangyu, the "Bringer of Luck"
"Its gigantic arms can rip apart even iron. As a particularly cruel form of execution, serious criminals would be strung up in a public square, and a Hangyu would rip off the skin from their bones."
The lore: It's a hangman's noose. It was used to perform executions. lol, fake out, it didn't hang people, it tore them apart instead.
The inspiration: There are inanimate-object Pokemon but needless to say none of those objects have been a hangman's noose. I'm sorry, where exactly does "bringer of luck" factor into anything about this Pal?
The name: It doesn't hang people, it just flays them. Talk about misleading.
In gameplay: Its Partner Skill lets Hangyu be used as a glider, but rather than just gliding horizontally and slowing descent, the first half of Hangyu's stamina is spent lifting the Tamer into the air and the second half lowering them back to the ground. It's kind of annoying, honestly, because most of the use of a glider instead of a flying mount is to leap off something high and not splatter on the ground at the bottom, and Hangyu lifting the Pal Tamer back up doesn't help with that.

Talkin' Pals: 032b Hangyu Cryst, the "Glacial Harbinger"
Type shift: Hangyu is ground, Hangyu Cryst is ice.
"Its gigantic arms can tear through blocks of ice. There were times when great sinners were tied in the town square and had their hair torn out by as a brutal form of public humiliation."
In gameplay: Hangyu Cryst's Partner Skill is the same as Hangyu's but takes the player very slightly higher.

There you're!

You might remember Melpaca as being the mon that introduced us to the suicidal tendencies of Rayne Syndicate mooks. I was level three or maybe four then, and wasn't about to try to catch one myself. Now it's time.

Talkin' Pals: 036 Melpaca, with the "Pompous Shanks", whatever the hell that means
"Don't be fooled by its fluffy appearance. A hypersonic kick from one of its long legs may send you flying to the other side of the world."
The lore: Blow-through from excessive kinetic force does not exist.
The inspiration: It's an alpaca. Like, it's barely a monster. If an IRL life alpaca could wear go-go boots it'd look just like this.
The name: -paca is easy enough to place. "Mel-" less so. It's not particularly mellow or melancholy. It's not dark enough to be melanin. It's not a fire type, so not "melt", and it's not grass-type, so not "melon". It doesn't have any singing or sonic-based abilities, so not "melody". I dunno.
In gameplay: Need cloth? Melpaca's the way to go. Melpaca cranks out more wool than either Lamball or Cremis, and doesn't get distracted from Farming work with other suitabilities.

Wool production for a glut of cloth I need at this point in the game is why I was looking for Melpaca. I switch it into Lamball's place at the Cold Shores ranch so it can get to work.

Another Pal named after the word "night" that spends all night sleeping smdh
Wait Nox is a dark-element, why is it asleep at night?

Until I'm ready to start elite-tweaking my Pals for combat potential, Skill Fruits are mostly just a waste of inventory space while I stockpile them for whenever that time comes. So I haven't gone out of my way to show that Skill Fruits grow on luminescent trees like this one, three at a time. They're not always themed, but as chance has it this particular tree gave me three different Fire-type move fruits.

mupdate (map update)

The only "wandering" merchants I've seen so far have been the ones that stand in Small Settlement all the time. Here are a couple who are actually wandering! They don't have anything I want to buy, inventory space tends to be the limiting factor on these Pal-catching exploration missions, so I pawn off some of my items for cash before I leave them to whatever business they're doing out here on a tiny island at the edge of the map.

I guess at this point it just seems like I'm wandering around, and I guess I kind of am? Between new locations I'm foraging for eggs, checking chests, and catching wild Pals I've already talked about, like these Celarays. I didn't think any of that was all that interesting to discuss in detail, and with Niku's corroboration of that suspicion I'm definitely skipping it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:52 am

A counterpart to the insulating undershirt I found before, here's one that offers protection from heat. It's possible to wear both at once to save from having to switch equipment when the weather turns, which is fine from a video game equipment perspective but doesn't make any logical sense.

I make it this far before my inventory fills up and it's time to head back to base and drop off my stuff. Most of the progress this update was off-camera, just grinding for EXP and tech unlocks by catching Pals I'd already talked about. Northeast of Windswept Hill is Marsh Island, this is Eastern Wild Island.

I'd love to say that I'm through the glut of new Pals that comes at this point in the game and won't have to write up eight or nine at a time, but that's down to the luck of the draw from whatever eggs I find. This last armload gave me a bunch of duplicates and a Dumud. Then another trip nets me eggs for Loupmoon, Gorirat, and Beegarde. That last one's a get, I set it to work immediately.

To work in the ranch.

Beegarde, get back in the ranch.

Stop doing transporting work. Your job is in the ranch.

Seriously, knock it off.

Sigh.

Talkin' Pals: 043 Dumud, the "Perpetual Procrastinator"
"When too relaxed, its reaction time drastically declines. Even if it were sliced from head to tail, it probably wouldn't even realize that it should be dead until the next morning."
The lore: ha ha it's so dumb it doesn't even realize why people compare it to Slowpoke.
The inspiration: If Slowpoke were a mudskipper instead of whatever the hell Slowpoke is, it'd be a Dumud. The face and roundish body are certainly similar. It has Sobble's fin on its back.
The name: It's a ground-type with unimpressive mental faculties. Dumb mud, condensed into a palindrome presumably just for novelty's sake.
In gameplay: They can do watering tasks at base and keep themselves occupied with mining tasks in the meantime. That's pretty good, while the player is still growing the base enough to allow enough workers to specialize their jobs.

Talkin' Pals: 046 Loupmoon, which is "Enraptured by Moonlight"
"The horns on its head grow under the moonlight. It doesn't hate the sun, but its horns itch when sunlight hits them."
The lore: You might gather that there is a vaguely-hinted-at lunar theme for this one.
The inspiration: They're clearly shooting for a sort of werewolf creature but Loupmoon looks more like a badger with a unicorn horn. Or an Absol that figured out how to walk on its hind legs.
The name: The worst goddamn portmanteau I've seen since "Teddiursa". Loup is "wolf" and M-O-O-N that spells moon. Presumably they were specifically going for "loup-garou", or werewolf, for another tie-in to something lunar themed. Can't just call it "Moon-garou" or anything though, that would be a creature that turns into a moon (presumably when it sees a full wolf).
In gameplay: They've got Handiwork 3, and don't have any other suitabilities to distract them from Handiwork. Being dark-type, they don't sleep. They're good at building stuff.

Talkin' Pals: 049 Gorirat, the "Jungle Punk"
"It beats the ground rhythmically to communicate with its comrades. The meaning of each rhythm differs by troop, but the distinction between them is still largely unknown."
The lore: Well maybe if you spent less time making up ridiculous stories about what ancient civilizations did with their Pals and paid more attention to the ones that are here right now, you might have worked out this mysterious riddle, huh, mister hypothetical Pal researcher who writes Paldeck entries?
The inspiration: It's a primate. An ape with a drumbeat is a Rillaboom, sure, but this one at least manages to not share a type with the Pokemon it's evoking.
The name: "Gori-" is clearly from "Gorilla" but they don't resemble rats in any particular way, so anybody's guess where the last part of the name comes from. Gorillas don't have tails, rats do! But rat tails are naked and Gorirat's tail is furry, so it doesn't look like a rat tail would. Maybe it's like rat-a-tat, to evoke the drumming noise the Paldeck entry makes a big deal out of.
In gameplay: Their Partner skill gives them a 50-200% boost to their attack power for a little while after it's activated. It's called "Full-Power Gorilla Mode" in the game but you can't convince me the initial concept on the whiteboard wasn't called "Going Ape-Shit".

Talkin' Pals: 050 Beegarde, the "Guardian Commander"
"A servant that pledges loyalty to Elizabee. Any that cause harm to the queen are immediately expelled from the hive. It will gladly give its life to protect its queen."
The lore: They have the job of worker or soldier bees, but they can be bred and sometimes they are male.
The inspiration: It's a bee monster, but it's more or less a humanoid creature with bee parts. Bee or wasp Pokemon are more insect-like.
The name: It's a royal guard for a queen bee.
In gameplay: GET BACK TO THE RANCH AND MAKE HONEY. NO, BAD, PUT DOWN THE TRANSPORT ITEM AND GO. MAKE. HONEY. STOP IT DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOUR JOB IS AT THE RANCH. STAY AT THE RANCH. MAKE HONEY. FUCK
Beegarde are even a pain in the ass in encounters, too. You know how bees that sting people die when they can't get their stingers loose? Yeah, Beegarde also self-destruct when they attack. Only this is an actual self-destruct, an explosion dropping their HP to zero to do a single strong hit. Can't catch a Beegarde that's been knocked out, though, even if they do it to themselves.

"Well, I might manage to get to a chest with something good in it before I'm reduced to a bloody smear on the floor."

I actually manage to make it through a few rooms on account of running faster than everything else! Then Direhowl gets one-shotted by something from offscreen and I'm left to my own two feet.

The boss room? I'm as surprised as anybody.

Great job, Cattiva! Now just do that, uh, 3329 more times. Without getting hit.

Dragonite With Feathers here takes out each of my minions one by one. Lunaris actually puts up a pretty good fight, with lots of multi-hitting moves to plink 2 or 3 damage off at a time, and a blast of ice that hits double-digits sometimes! But once they're all gone I just hit the "Die and respawn" option in the menu. No need to chip away and my weapon and armor durability in a hopeless battle, there's no way this crossbow is going to crank out the last 2900 damage or so.

This does not stop Dragonite with Feathers from pissing on my corpse with an acid rain cloud.

No Phoenix Downs, we wait ten minutes for respawns. Guess I'll just fuck around the base for a little while, with my "go fast" mount and my "just fly away" mount both out of commission.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:54 am

I've seen Free Pal Alliance here and there, but moving into this part of the map where they're more frequent I guess it's time to talk about them.

Talkin' Lore: The Free Pal Alliance
The Free Pal Alliance are a group dedicated to freeing Pals from the tyranny of Pal Tamers, given that the basic mook is called a "Devout" they're pretty explicitly a cult. Their ideals are expressed by generating hostile to all Pals nearby, and keeping Pals in cages in the middle of little fortresses. Yes, they're entirely interchangeable with the Rayne Syndicate. Just where the Rayne Syndicate is Team Rocket, the FPA are Team Plasma.
Yes, I do have to go back and correct that they're the "FPA", not the "FAP", every time I type it.
Anyway, taking out this fort gives me a free Nox from the cage.

This is Moonless Shore, a midgame area, once you have your feet beneath you a bit. Mobs here include Cinnamoth, Bristla, Galeclaw, Flopie, and Robinquill, and no shortage of FAP FPA devouts. They spawn here around level 20, and most of the Pals here are hostile. Gotta to be ready to fight them off or capable of running away. And the worst part? The first time I walked into the zone and the words "Moonless Shore" appeared onscreen, I looked up in the sky, and you know what I saw? That's right. The moon. When will the lies end?

I thought Cold Shores tower would be an excellent place for a base, but the pathing and freezing issues have only gotten worse. Not that you can tell in a screenshot LP, but most of my Pals are stuck in place, or clipping through stuff, or T-pose sliding to get where they're going.

Anyway, I've gained a few more levels. Enough that the tech I can unlock is held back by items I can't effectively get yet. We're moving from regular Ingots into Refined Ingots, recipes that call for High Quality Pal Oil... Having unlocked the Power Generator (which doesn't generate power, it's a battery -- electric Pals make the electricity to store in the pylon) I'm starting to get recipes for powered assembly lines, too.

I think I can take on some of the smaller Alphas now. Alpha Dumud is up first, over on... Ice Wind Island, I think? Up in the northwest, west of Cold Shores. Listen, the game's still new and most of the wikis are missing big chunks of information, so if I don't take the note down as I play it can be tough to look something up.

Oh yeah, I can do fine with just my crossbow. Alpha Dumud drops the usual Ancient Technology Point, a handful of Ancient Civ Parts and Precious [$varname] for defeating an Alpha, and the Raw Dumud meat and High Quality Pal Oil that Dumuds usually drop.

Next on the line, since it's a short walk from where Alpha Dumud was splashing around.

Damn Alpha Nitewing can throw hands
wings
whatever

It was pretty dicey for a minute there -- not helped when Alpha Nitewing managed to hit a nearby Foxparks with its attacks, and the now-hostile Foxparks started targeting me. Dark-type Pals are the one with the elemental advantage over Neutral-type Pals, but I don't have any of those in my party. It was just a brawl. I eventually emerge victorious, for another Ancient Tech Point, some Ancient Civ Parts, more Precious [$varname], and a few pieces of leather.

Rules of engagement: Do not provoke the twelve-foot-tall guy with a minigun when armed with only a crossbow. Sorry, Nox, I have to leave you to your fate this time.

Hmm, usually I think to zoom the map out for better context before I screencap. Ah well. This is the west side of the map. Forgotten Island is to the northwest. I haven't prioritized exploring it because it's another natural respawn point, with earlygame Pals I've got already. Ice Wind Island is to the northeast, and to the northeast of that, Cold Shores. Where I am now is the northernmost edge of Bamboo Groves.

Red chests are the ones that demand keys to open. In earlygame areas, that's Copper Keys. Around the central parts where the Free Pal Alliance show up, they want Silver Keys. And in the endgame areas like where I built my base up on Cold Shores, they demand a Golden Key. This one's still early on, so all I need is a Copper, and I've got a dozen of those from other, unlocked chests.
Red Chests tend to have schematics in them. In this case, I get an Uncommon-tier Old Bow schematic. That's not very good! Chests of any tier often contain bread. It's always perfectly edible, no matter where the chest was. Video games!