Keep Wishing You Were Me, and I'll Keep Making You Have To. Let's Play Cassette Beasts!

nosimpleway

Keep Wishing You Were Me, and I'll Keep Making You Have To. Let's Play Cassette Beasts!

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 pm

Okay. So we've had a good look at a pretty poor, dull example of monster-collecting that managed to be surprisingly popular based on *checks notes* the potential for unrestrained animal cruelty. Let's refresh the palate a little, shall we? Let's play Cassette Beasts.

Cassette Beasts was developed by Bytten Studios, the folks who did Lenna' Inception if you're familiar with that one, and released in 2023. Like Palworld, it approaches the idea of a monster-collecting Pokemon-like, not catered to small children like Pokemon is. Cassette Beasts takes a different tack, simply including themes and elements that kids wouldn't appreciate or understand rather than what I've come to think of as the "Hot Topic" strategy of appearing mature.

A direct comparison between Palworld and Cassette Beasts isn't completely fair, for the same reasons I described in the Palworld LP. Palworld is a survival game Fortnite-like with monster-capturing elements. Cassette Beasts hews more closely to the Pokemon formula with RPG adventure gameplay and menu-based combat. But I think you'll agree that Cassette Beasts shows more creativity, innovation, and quality than Palworld for what each game is and attempts to do, and it shouldn't even take all that long to convince you.

Part 1: Just Follow Your Eyes, featuring Candevil, Bansheep, Sirenade, Dandylion, and Dominoth
Part 2: Some Days Are Diamonds, Some Days Are Rocks, featuring Traffikrab, Springheel, Macabra, and Wooltergeist
Part 3: I Still Feel The Glow That Time Cannot Fade, featuring Carniviper, Pombomb, Stardigrade, Snoopin, Terracooka, Thwackalope, Allseer, Decibelle, Lobstacle, Blossomaw, and Folklord
Part 4: Just Call My Name 'Cause I'll Hear You Scream featuring Pawndead, Nevermort, Djinn Entonic, Velocirifle, Coaldron, Skelevangelist, Diveal, Padpole, and Ramtasm
Part 5: All The Wants You Waste, featuring Kittelly, Busheye, Boltam, Elfless Braxsuit, Binvader, Faucetear, Arkidd, Cat-5, Triphinx, and Kingrave
Part 6: Pride You Took, Pride You Feel, featauring Fragliacci, Mothmanic, Artillerex, Faerious, Twirligig, Hopskin, Frillypad, Cluckabilly, Jumpkin, Pinbolt, and Sanzatime
Part 7: It's For No One But Me To Say What Direction I Shall Turn Now, featuring Masquerattle and Gearyu

nosimpleway

Re: Keep Wishing You Were Me, and I'll Keep Making You Have To. Let's Play Cassette Beasts!

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:11 pm

Part 1: Just Follow Your Eyes

Music: Title Theme
Hell yeah, that's right. Palworld barely had background music at all, but Cassette Beasts has a freakin' amazing soundtrack. The title theme is an acoustic-guitar rendition of a couple of the game's leitmotifs that we'll be hearing later on, because of course it is, what else would it be? As always, center-click or open in a new tab to let the music play while you read the LP.

Granted, the title screen music doesnt play for very long, before it cuts into the game intro, but where else am I going to link it?

Start up a new file, and the game goes to static. Rats, I thought this was going to be more stable than Palworld, am I dealing with graphical issues already? Game crash in 3... 2...

Nah, this game is finished. A DLC pack came out not too long ago, so it's as stable as it's gonna get. The game does love its static-screen effect, though, here used as a transition to the player character getting flung into the surprisingly colorful void.

And they... wake up on a beach. I didn't even get here by ship, and I still wake up on the beach!

Take a moment, get used to the map controls. The game is played in a 3/4 overhead view, with jumping and dashing available. Ticking off another standard-issue gameplay element, stamina is represented by a wheel that depletes as the player character does anything but walking around.

And items are kept in chests. This one has 100 planks of wood inside. Into the Standard RPG Inventory it goes, there's no encumbrance.

The beach is walled off with cliffs and a locked gate that I can't pass. Heading west reveals a bridge that appears to be made of shipping containers, leading to a cobbled courtyard. Just as I get the attention of the redhead from the game's splash screen artwork on the other side...

I am accosted by a crustacean with a traffic cone on its back!

nosimpleway

Re: Keep Wishing You Were Me, and I'll Keep Making You Have To. Let's Play Cassette Beasts!

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:13 pm

Music: Cross Your Heart
Before anything else can happen, the redheaded girl runs over to start the first game tutorial.

???: Hey, stranger! Don't make any sudden moves! Traffikrabs don't take kindly to strangers. Or anyone, for that matter.
Here, take this.

A cassette player. Which would be an odd thing to hand someone in the middle of a wild animal attack, but in this case it's not the most bizarre thing that's going to happen in the next sixty seconds.

???: OK, quick question: what's your... aesthetic?

I go with "Spooky".

???: Yeah, I can see that! In that case, take this.

She just shoved a Walkman into my hands, then hands off a tape to go inside. But how are these going to help when I'm menaced by a plastic hermit crab?

???: Alright, now just pop that in your cassette player, put on the headphones, and press play!
This might get a little weird, but follow my lead!

Helpful Redhead transforms into some kind of karaoke bat creature,

and I turn into a sheep ghost that, judging from the face markings, killed someone in prison. A red effect throbs on the edges of the screen a few times.

???: Just breathe! You'll adjust in a moment!
Right, let's give 'em hell!

Polite of Tutorial Crab to stand there and wait until that was over with.
Life bars at the top, menu at the bottom. I click the "Fight" button, because that's the only one I'm allowed to.

The liner notes on this tape list my skills on the left and what they do on the right. "Shear Luck" is a passive ability, so the only thing I can do right now is Smack. It's a power 30 melee attack.

I might be new at this but I can still oneshot the tutorial monster.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 pm

Kayleigh: I'm Kayleigh. Nice to make your acquaintance, snalligator!

Portraits for speaking characters change emotes based on which line of dialog they're saying but I don't have artwork for it. So transcribed dialog gets everyone's name in text rather than character portraits. There's also the occasional bark to go with dialog, so Kayleigh will voiceover "Uhh..." or "Right!" or "Sorry" once in a while, but that's not something I can reflect in a screenshot LP, sorry.

Kayleigh: Anyway, we should probably get you warmed up before you freeze to death in your pyjamas.

Bytten Studios is based in the UK so there'll be Standardised Englishe Spellynge throughout. Kayleigh leads our pyjamas-with-a-Y-clad character across the shipping-container bridge and into the central square of this little settlement.

Music: Wherever We Are Now
Definitely give this one a listen, it's the best RPG town theme since Chrono Trigger.

Dialog prompts in this game approach Suikoden levels of completely useless. Virtually all of them are phrased so that the answer from whatever NPC has the next line in the script is an effective response to either option chosen. The camera pans around to different buildings in the area.

Kayleigh: Welcome to Harbourtown... Your new home!
Prompt: "My new home?" / "I already have a home!"
Kayleigh: Uh right, yeah, sorry. I'm not very good at this part...
I don't know how to best break the news.
You're stuck here. We all are.

Prompt: "My head is spinning..." / "I don't feel so great..."

Fade to black as consciousness wanes.

Music: Wherever We Are Now, lyrical version
Eventually I'll be given full control and will be able to explore Harbourtown outside of cutscenes. The music transitions seamlessly between the instrumental version outside and the lyrical version inside of buildings. The effect ingame is rad as hell tbh honest

Dr. Pensby: Ah, wonderful. You're awake. Kayleigh gave me quite a fright when she came knocking at my door.
Kayleigh: You had me scared for a moment, snalligator!
Dr. Pensby: I don't think it's anything serious. Transforming for the first time is quite a shock to the psyche.

That tracks. If I started listening to music and suddenly found myself transformed into a ghost sheep I'd probably pass out too.

Kayleigh: Anyway, Harbourtown happened to have a spare home available for you, so this is your place now!"
Prompt: "Where on Earth is this place?"
Dr. Pensby: "On Earth?" Kayleigh, you haven't told them...?
Kayleigh: Sorry, I should have...

This isn't on her, she was trying to explain that when I started sucking pavement.

Kayleigh: Not to infodump on you, but you're on an island called New Wirral. It's not... strictly on Earth. At least that's what we think.
Prompt: "Is there a way back home?"
Dr. Pensby: I'm afraid not, snalligator. I'm so sorry. Castaways have been trying to get back to their worlds for a century, and none have succeeded.
Kayleigh: B-but you'll be OK! There's community in Harbourtown, and we help each other out. It's not a bad life...
A-and it's safe! Well, apart from the monsters...

Prompt: "Like the one we fought before?" / "Like the one with the cassette player?"
Kayleigh: Yeah! I'm actually going on a patrol soon. If you'd like to join me, meet me by the gate! The one just over the bridge we crossed to come into town.
In the meantime, feel free to say hi to your new neighbors! I'm pretty sure word has already gotten round that there's a new face in town.
We also fetched some clothes for you, though they might be a bit... out of fashion for your era, but it's all we have!

Prompt: "My era...?"
Kayleigh: Sorry, sorry, I'm infodumping! I'll catch you soon, right? We can talk more then, if you like!
Dr. Pensby: My clinic is nearby. If you need a chekup, feel free to visit.
This all must be a lot to take in, but we all went through the same thing once.

The Tutorial quest begins in earnest.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:16 pm

Kayleigh forks over the Ranger Handbook on her way out of Dr. Pensby's office/clinic/house. Trying to read it tells me I should talk to Kayleigh first, because it's a review item for the tutorial I haven't finished yet, but an Elemental Type Chart card falls out.

Of course there are elemental types. Fourteen this time, though there is only one Glass-type in the game and zero Glitter-types. More on all of that stuff later on, it won't be important for a little while.

Character customization is possible through the dresser in my new house, in case any of you have strong opinions on what the player character's name or style should be. Lacking the purple skin option Palworld offered, I settle on a frilly pink dress instead.

Time to go meet my new neighbors, I guess.

Sports Enthusiast: You know what I miss? Sports. Why can't Harbourtown start a football team? Well... I suppose there'd be no-one to play against. I don't think the giant crabs on the beach have a competitive spirit.

That and I'm not sure there are enough people in this little RPG backwater to fill a team lineup. Whereas other RPGs use a small town for the convienience of the player and to save on memory, with the implication that there are parts of each city that the player just doesn't visit, what you see is what you get in Harbourtown. It's a scraped-together village of interdimensional castaways, so if it looks like there are only a dozen people around rather than a sustainable population, it's because that's exactly the case.

Guy on the Harbor: You're new to the whole "cassette tape transforming" thing, huh? A little piece of advice for you. The key is not to think about how it works. By all accounts, it doesn't make sense. But it does work. So just go along with it.

Guy Jogging In A Circle: Have you been to the west side of Harbourtown yet? I've been meaning to visit the Heritage Center over there.

Centenarian: For 101 years this town has stood. Did you know that? I remember what this place looked like as a little girl. The town changes so much, so fast... But the foundations, they have always stayed the same.

Gazing Over the Water: I was hoping to cross the bridge, but it's been raised for a while now. That's fine... I can stay on this side of town, I guess.

Sure enough, there's no way over to the west side.

And there's a second level to the town, but I can't get up there either. I can go into Dr. Pensby's office and she sells items, the Gramaphone Cafe and Town Hall are open but there's where a lot of worldbuilding and plot happens, so I'll do that stuff after the tutorial is over. Most of the houses are closed up, I can't go inside.

Gee where do I go next

Kayleigh: Hey again, snalligator. Are you feeling a little better?

She pauses.

Kayleigh: You know, you held your own the last time we fought together! So, well, I've been given an errand and need a helping hand. Do you think you'll be able to help me out?
Prompt: "Errand?" / "Sure!"

Kayleigh: Do you see that path there? There was some kind of quake or monster activity last night - You can see the cracks in the ground. We're gonna check the path and make sure it's safe for crossing.

Seems straightforward enough. Kayleigh hands over the key to the gate, which is consumed and removed from my inventory five steps later. I have a bit of control over exploration for the time being, though the path is still quite linear.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:17 pm

Leaping into the water shunts me back to shore. There's no swimming.

As I proceed along the linear path, Kayleigh stops me and points out a nearby bat... thing.

Kayleigh: Right, uh, there's some basics I gotta show you first. I hope you're ready to transform again!
Prompt: "Definitely!" / "Uh, I guess so!"
Kayleigh: You'll adjust in no time - it's like riding a bike!
Except, y'know, if the bike transformed into a moody floating sheep...
And also you're the bike.

Kayleigh: You see that creep with the boots? It's a Springheel - and it's gonna get aggressive with you if you get any closer. So you're gonna get closer, of course!

Once I walk over and engage with the Springheel, combat starts. Cue up Cross Your Heart again if you like. At the start of the battle, Kayleigh and I transform automatically into Sirenade and Bansheep.

Talkin' Mechanics: Action Points
The first part of this tutorial fight is talking about action economy. Each orange square is one Action Point. My partner and I, and any of the monsters on the enemy side, get two AP per turn by default. Moves consume various amounts of AP per turn, depending on the move.
I can use moves that take fewer than two AP to gradually build up a supply to use stronger moves that consume more AP. The basic melee move "Smack" and the basic ranged move "Spit" cost 0 AP.

Sirenade is fast, but Springheel is faster. Before I can do anything else, it takes its first turn and kicks Bansheep in the face. Start the HP tutorial!

Talkin' Mechanics: Hit Points
HP is HP, but there's a snag to it. I'm transformed into a beast that has its own HP pool, but there's still a human person somewhere in there. Incoming attacks deal damage to the monster's HP bar, in green. If that's depleted, the beast is defeated, its cassette broken, and the excess damage is dealt to the human underneath. If the human runs out of HP, they faceplant. If both the player character and their partner are out of HP, it's game over. Enemy monsters that aren't transformed humans run away when their HP hits zero.

With that out of the way, I'm free to Smack and Spit the Springheel into submission. It takes a couple of turns, since it's not the level 1 Traffikrab from before. But I don't have any other moves to spend my accumulated AP on, so Smack/Spit it is.

Talkin' Mechanics: Levels and Stars:
After a battle, both humans gain EXP. Get enough EXP to level up. Leveling up increases that person's base stats: HP, Melee Attack, Melee Defense, Ranged Attack, Ranged Defense, and Speed.
Monsters also accumulate EXP, but don't have experience levels. Instead, they accumulate up to five stars on their tape. Each star gives the monster a slight stat boost and teaches a new move. Bansheep gets its first star and learns "Battering Ram", an melee hit that might reduce the target's accuracy for a few turns. Sirenade also gets a star and learns "Sonic Boom", an air-element ranged attack that hits the entire enemy party.
As I understand it, monsters' stats are multipliers for the human underneath. Right now snalligator has a Melee Attack of 87, and Bansheep has a Melee Attack of 110. I think that means snalligator transformed into Bansheep has a Melee Attack of 87 base times 110% for the transformation, for a total of 95 or maybe 96 depending on how the game rounds that off. I could be completely wrong! Maybe it's additive and the combination gives a Melee Attack of 197! I dunno!

Scaling down the screenshot size to fit onto the forums might make the text hard to read. In this case, Kayleigh is indicating the nearby elevator I'll need to progress and telling me I'll need to find a switch to activate it.

The lesson: check behind stuff.

Kayleigh officially signs on as a permanent partner. The human who isn't the player character is the "partner", and I'm grateful the game cleared up that terminology because it was kind of awkward writing around it not having been introduced yet.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 pm

Having been introduced to the basic battle mechanics, random encounters start showing up. They appear on the map, and running into a monster starts a fight with that monster and often some other monster that lives in the area. So that Springheel hiding behind the tree could well have a partner of its own, and there's no indication of what that partner might be until I start the encounter. Sometimes really big monsters have two other monsters assisting.

Guy gives me three potions... er, pencils. The game premise is not subtle about the intended age of its target demographic: namely, people who are old enough to have used a pencil to respool a cassette tape at some point in their lives.

I appear to be stuck. I need to head west from here, but there's no way around this wall.

Kayleigh: There must be some way to get it to come over here...

The moth monster notices I'm here, but doesn't aggro.

The answer... well, it is a moth monster. The answer is L A M P

Once the fight begings, Kayleigh hucks over five blank tapes.

Kayleigh: There's something about the monsters on New Wirral... When weakened, their essence can be, well, recorded to cassette tapes. We don't entirely know how it works, but it does, and that's good enough for us.

Talkin' Mechanics: Recording Monsters
The Record option has priority consumes a blank tape and reverts the person who uses it into their human form before shooting a beam that gives a base percentage chance to record the monster. As usual, the lower the monster's HP, the higher the chance. This happens before the combat turn starts, so everyone else around will take their turns like normal.
What happens during the turn affects that catch chance. So while I have something like a 40% chance to catch this Dominoth, Sirenade is still available to Spit at it. That hit depletes its HP and bumps my catch chance up to 100%. Monsters' HP can't be completely depleted while they're being recorded, and they can't run away.

The Dominoth gets its turn, too, of course. If a person trying to record a beast gets hit with an attack, the catch chance percentage goes down depending on how much damage they took. But the Dominoth aims a hit at Sirenade, and missed it anyway.
At the end of the turn, the game rolls the percentage chance. If it passes, the monster is added to my stable of critters. Pass or fail, the character reverts to whatever transformation they were using for the next turn. Since this is the tutorial, Kayleigh insists I transform into my new Dominoth immediately.

Since I'm making a copy of the monster instead of capturing it, Dominoth is still there. If I remember correctly I could copy it again next turn and have two of 'em. I don't, in this case, I just finish it off.

Both Dominoth and Bansheep star up after the fight, too, giving them "Zephyr" and "Sharpen" respectively. Zephyr is a ranged air-element attack that's as strong as Sonic Boom but only hits one target. Sharpen gives the user boosted attack for three turns.

Since the game also went into stickers in that tutorial fight, but I didn't talk about it because talking about catch chances was complicated enough, I guess let's talk about stickers.

Talkin' Mechanics: Stickers
All of the moves and skills a monster knows are "stickers" applied to the tape the monster is recorded on. I'm not sure how the tapes for Bansheep and Dominoth just spontaneously formed a sticker on the outside for the moves they just learned, but that's what happened. Stickers can be peeled off of and slapped onto tapes as I please. The adhesive never runs out.
So I could, if I wanted to, peel the sticker for Zephyr off of Dominoth's tape and apply it to Sirenade instead. Dominoth wouldn't be able to use Zephyr anymore, but Sirenade would.
While not every monster can learn every move, it's a very flexible system. And if I decide a given move isn't working out, I don't need to see a move relearner or anything to swap things around.

Oh, and also I can fly now.

Prompt: "Is this meant to happen?!" / "What's happening?!"
Kayleigh: Some monster forms give us... extra abilities when we record them, beyond just being able to take their shapes. Don't panic!
Sorry, I probably should have warned you, but I thought it might be a little easier to show you.

The first of six mobility upgrades.

Kayleigh points out that I should be able to glide over that gap that blocked my progress earlier, and updates the tutorial quest again. Now my goal is "Accompany Kayleigh to the broken pathway", which is what I thought I was doing already.

Before I reach the broken path, there's a little environmental puzzle. Leaping off the bluff here and landing on the stone block will shatter it...

...revealing a chest underneath. Inside is a sticker for "Unicast", an electric move that gives the target the Unicast status. When under Unicast, moves that normally target the whole enemy party can only target one creature, and moves that normally target one creature have lowered accuracy. There's also a Chrome Tape, which has a higher record chance than a plain tape.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:21 pm

As I get close to the broken path, there's another tremor. Be it seismic activity or monster activity it makes Kayleigh nervous, but I'm more concerned with that snake over there...

As I mentioned, random encounters often have two monsters in them, and the second one can be a surprise.

I KO the Carniviper as quickly as I can, then turn my attention to the Dandylion.

Between Sirenade and Dominoth, I have two air-type monsters on my side. So let's talk about the last, and most complex, aspect of the combat system: type interactions.

Talkin' Mechanics: Type Interactions
Type advantages are not a plain damage boost. You can show a Charizard a picture of a rock and it'll immediately pass out. Not so in Cassette Beasts, it's a lot more complicated than that.
As with every other game in the genre, monsters have an innate elemental type, and moves have an innate elemental type. Some moves are naturally typeless, in which case they take on the elemental type of whatever monster is using them. Smack and Spit are both typeless, so when Bansheep uses Smack it is beast-element (like Bansheep itself) and when Sirenade or Dominoth use Spit it is air-element (like those two monsters are). If I were to peel the sticker for Smack off of Bansheep and put it on Dominoth, Smack would then be an air-element move.
When a move hits a monster, the game checks for a interaction between the move's type and the monster's type. Rather than doing extra damage, type interactions almost always cause some kind of status effect to the target hit by the move. In this case, Sirenade used an air-element Spit on the Dandylion. Hitting a plant-type monster with an air move gives it the Uprooted status, reducing the AP it naturally charges each turn by one. This Dandelion is going to take a while before it can charge up enough AP to use its strong moves! ...if it knows any.
Not all type interactions are beneficial for the attacker. If I had used a water-type move on Dandylion, it would get the Healing Leaf status and start recovering HP each turn.

That type chart card I got earlier can be referenced in the middle of battle for a reminder of what all the type interactions are. They're mostly intuitive but the game follows its own internal logic sometimes, so a reference is a handy thing to have.

Anyway, with the Dandylion debuffed and weakened, I record a copy. On the turn I record, it manages to Smack snalligator, reducing my record chances from 100% to 96%. It's a common monster at low level, it'd be hard to interfere with recording it in any meaningful way.

Another tremor!
Kayleigh: OK, you felt that one, right?

Kayleigh: What is that?!

This ain't no disco. It ain't no country club, neither. I'm pretty sure that's a shed.

Kayleigh: W-was this always here?
Prompt: "Isn't this part of Harbourtown?" / "This isn't normal?"
Kayleigh: I've never seen ANYTHING like this before! Has this always been buried here?

It's just a shed.

Well, duh. I get that it's still the tutorial but come on.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 pm

Music: The Stations Underneath

Got an establishing shot but scaling it down might make Kayleigh's line too hard to read. It's:

Kayleigh: Is this... a train station? It should be OK to take a look around, right?

The gate to platform A is closed, and won't open.

As we pass through the turnstiles, Kayleigh observes that it smells like burning metal... then immediately realizes that doesn't make much sense and chalks it up to being hard to explain.
In the corner is a chest with a "Grass Coating" sticker. When used in combat, Grass Coating turns the target into a grass-type for three turns.

At the end of the path, a platform.

Kayleigh: snalligator, can you feel something in the air...?

drip

Music: Archangel Encounter

It's 3D-rendered in a game with flat 2D sprites, it speaks without using text boxes, in text that jitters onscreen, and emits a discordant beep as each letter prints. Just looking at it makes the screen warp and distort like I'm trying to get free HBO. Whatever the hell that thing is, it's no garden-variety monster, everything about it seems weird and otherworldly. (And that's coming from somebody who transformed into a sheep monster through the power of cassette tapes just a minute ago.)

Kayleigh: This is... This is...

THE LONG CONFLICT HAS DRAWN TO AN END... I AM AFRAID HE HAS DEFEATED ME TRULY THIS TIME.

Kayleigh: snalligator, I think this is an Archangel... We need to leave. Now. This isn't like the other monsters. We are not safe here.

So obviously the next thing to do is draw attention to myself by addressing the thing directly.

NO, NO, YOU ARE NOT MY KIN.
YOU COME FOR ME ONCE AGAIN, SWORD IN HAND?!

Kayleigh gets a fully-voiced "Oh no--" before...

The Archangel attacks.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:24 pm

Music: Same Old Story
Boss theme time!

Morgante is level 100. We wouldn't have a hope in the world, except... well, she was already defeated and broken apart. Her HP is down to a sliver of her maximum, so maybe we can plink it away enough to incapacitate her and escape? It's the only chance we've got!
I open with Sharpen, an attack boost which doesn't do much in the face of a 93-level advantage. Kayleigh opens with Dodge, increasing her Evasion. And Morgante opens with Discordant Thrash, which misses Kayleigh. Whew, Dodge was worth it!

Second round, I use Battering Ram. It deals 1 HP in damage, and Morgante is boss-immune to Accuracy debuffs. Well, rats. I have Kayleigh use Call for Help, which adds a Faucettear to my side of the fight for a few turns. It'll act on its own, but maybe it'll be enough.
After Morgante's second Discordant Thrash, I get another tutorial popup. Archangels aren't regular monsters, so they don't behave like regular monsters. They don't spend AP to use moves, they charge up until they have 10 AP, then unleash all that power at once in its unique move. So Morgante here is just biding time with Discordant Thrash until she can do... whatever it is she does at 10 AP. Oh, and since she's not a regular monster, she doesn't have a type. No element I can exploit to speed this along, or protect myself. Five turns to win. No pressure.

But what can I do? I can't debuff, and I don't have any better buffs for my side. I can only do little 1 HP plinks with Smack or Spit... so I do that, I guess. Faucettear uses its own buff move: an elemental wall. Like Substitute from Pokemon, a Wall takes a bit of the user's HP and puts up a defensive barrier. It'll protect Sirenade from three attacks before it breaks, or three attacks if it's type-advantaged. This being a water-type wall, I would need to watch out for electric- or grass-type moves... but Discordant Thrash is glass-type, I think.

Next turn...

Kayleigh: Do you hear me, snalligator? This isn't the end for us! It can't be!

Kayleigh whatever you are doing you're making us all staticky.

Kayleigh: I refuse! We're gonna fight this thing and we're gonna do it TOGETHER!

This is really dramatic and all but it's a little undercut by "And Faucettear was also there."

Sirenade charges at Bansheep, both are consumed by static, and...

...they fuse together into a floating moody karaoke bat-sheep.

Music: Same Old Story, lyrical version
Fusion kicks the music into overdrive, seamlessly adding the voice line.

Talkin' Mechanics: Fusion
You'd think the middle of a dramatic boss fight with an overwhelming enemy wouldn't be the best place for another tutorial popup, but this is where the game puts it, so here it is. Fusing together can be done with partners the player character has grown close enough with. Or, you know, when faced with certain doom alongside a casual acquaintance.
The two monsters combine into one. Their stats are added together, they generate four AP per turn instead of two, and all the moves known by both monsters are known by the fused creature.
There are, as of the new DLC, 140 monsters total. Any two of the same species fuse into a larger version of that species, but then there's a fused form for any two monsters in the game. There are nineteen thousand four hundred and sixty fusions to be found.

With their stats combined, I can do... well, it's still single-digit damage. But it's more!

It's not enough. I'm too late.

It's a little surprising how not-flashy Coda Morgana is. Yes, this Archangel just shattered reality like the screen on a dropped iPhone, but there's not a ton of swirling lights or flashes, or those little energy particles that big attacks in anime suck in before firing off a fifty-foot-wide laser or something. Things just break, and everything dies. Fusion can't help against the unstoppable power of an Archangel.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 pm

Except, by pure luck on my part, I have a wall up.

Call For Help only works half the time. I have no control what monster shows up, no control over what moves it knows, and no command over which of its moves it uses during the turns it's present. I just happened to have the move work, and summon a creature that could put up a wall, and it chose to put up a wall. Had there not been a plot-relevant fusion, then Bansheep would have taken the full brunt of Coda Morgana while the wall protected only Sirenade. And I'm pretty sure Coda Morgana, even in Morgante's broken state, is strong enough to one-hit kill a level seven human regardless of what they're transformed into.

But with her AP spent, Morgante is reduced to using only Discordant Thrash again, and I can endure a couple more of those while Bannade takes out the last of her HP.

Music: Victory Theme
whew

snalligator and Kayleigh each gain a level, all of my beasts star up. Morgante drops an "Olive-Up!", a drink that increases a human character's level by one more, and a "Fused Material", whatever that is. Further, the lasting reward is that my stamina goes up by 20%, allowing me to dash or glide for a little longer than before.

Prompt: "I want to go home!" / "I want a way off this island!"

I SEE.
THERE IS A WAY. THERE ARE NONE WHO KNOW THE PATH BUT I.

I REQUIRE A VESSEL AND YOU REQUIRE A GUIDE.
REBUILD MY STRENGTH AND IN TURN I SHALL LEAD YOU FROM THIS LAND.

Prompt: "Vessel...?" / "Wait..."

VERY WELL. HEAR MY SONG.

Morgante ain't taking "no" for an answer.

Music: Morgante's Song

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 pm

We rejoin our heroes back in Harbourtown, in the Gramaphone Cafe.

Kayleigh: A lot happened at that train station... I guess we should probably talk about it.
Prompt: "About the 'Archangel'..." / "About us 'fusing'..."

In one of the few times that the prompt determines the conversation after, I ask about Archangels. It still doesn't matter because after this I'll have to pursue the other dialog option anyway.

Kayleigh: Archangels... Supposedly, when the first unlucky sods washed up on the shores of New Wirral, they thought the monsters here were angels. And, and some of them wrote of other entities too, greater than the others... Creatures that feel "wrong". Logically, they called these other creatures "Archangels" - the highest ranking among the order of angels.

Archangels are the second-lowest order of divine beings in Christian dogma, but I wouldn't expect someone who just ran into one and narrowly escaped with their life to be that pedantic.

Kayleigh: Of course, when people learned they could fight and defeat the regular monsters, they lost their "angelic allure". They've had a bunch of names over the years - angels, demons, devils, ghouls... We just call them monsters now. It's a good catch-all term.
Those other creatures, though... Like the one we fought... They're still Archangels to us. We don't know what they are. No one has really seen one for a long time.
Looking at that thing we fought... It's hard to explain... It felt like I wasn't viewing it correctly - like trying to watch a movie through binoculars or something...
Oh! Sorry, I'm making some assumptions there! We're all from different worlds, after all. You might not know what movies are!

Prompt: "I do!" / "I've seen plenty of movies!" / "What are movies? Just kidding!"
Kayleigh: Phew, OK, grand! I've been in New Wirral for three years and I've still not completely learned to adjust my... cultural references when I talk to new folks.

It is revealed later on that Kayleigh was born in 1983 in whatever world close enough to IRL life that 1983 is a close-enough reference to have meaningful context. She's supposed to be somewhere in her twenties, but if everyone got here through a spacetime warp that doesn't give any indication of what year it is, for lack of a better term, "now".

Prompt: "About us 'fusing'..."
Kayleigh: Oh. Yeah. That.
"Fusion" is a rare phenomenon known by the rangers. There are fused monsters in the wild, and supposedly the leader of the rangers can do it too. In the right circumstances, two people in monster form are able to unite and form one powerful being.
(I guess "the right circumstances" include nearly being killed by an Archangel...)
It felt strange. In that moment, I was sharing a body with you, and the thing we became was both us and not us at the same time... I-I've never fused with anyone before. I certainly wasn't expecting to fuse with someone I barely know... It just kind of happened in the heat of the moment, right?

Hey, does this conversation remind you of anything? Like there's something unsaid going on behind the dialog here?
That's right. Fusing is directly inspired by Steven Universe, where two people combine into a different individual than the component parts, while still retaining their own identities.

Kayleigh: Sorry, talking about it is a little awkward!
Prompt: "It helped us defeat the Archangel!" / "We wouldn't have survived without it!"
Kayleigh: Y-yeah, I guess you're right! Now that we've done it, I havve this weird feeling inside me. Like... a door has been opened that I didn't even know was there before. I feel like I'd be able to fuse with you again, if we ever needed to.

Having explored both topics available we're up to the part of the script that's the same regardless of any previous decisions made.

Kayleigh: So let me get this straight... That Archangel, "Morgante", her memory is inside you now...? And she knows a way to leave New Wirral?
If there is even a chance that this can lead to a way off this island and return people to their homes and their families... We owe it to everyone on New Wirral to find out! You and I! What do you say? Are we in this together?

Prompt: "Let's do this!" / "We don't have any other option!"

The last feature of the combat engine unlocks. As I battle with a Kayleigh, a fusion meter will slowly fill. And once it's full, we can fuse whatever monster forms we're both in. Just like real life, there's a helpful onscreen prompt that tells exactly how close you are to another person on a scale of one to five. Fusions get more powerful between people who are emotionally close to one another.

Kayleigh: If an Archangel gave you that vision, then... You need to find another one, and you need to be strong enough to stand against it when you do.

This completes the "This Is The World We Live In" tutorial quest, and starts the main storyline quest, "Land of Confusion": Locate Archangels to complete Morgante's song, then follow the clues it contains to find your way home.

Kayleigh: The Rangers have a training programme that will help you become strong enough. Let's begin by getting you a meeting with the Ranger Leader! She'll be at the outpost in the park right about now.

And this begins a B-plot questline, "Take Me On". The park isn't very far, about as far north of the train station where I found Morgante as the train station is from Harbourtown.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:32 pm

That's the end of the tutorial, so let's talk about the monsters so far.

#014 Candevil, the "pastel horned devil"
Candevils possess the peculiar ability to generate sugary sweets from their bodies, which can be used as gifts or ballistic projectiles. Some find this quite charming, whereas others argue that it's actually very weird and gross.
Bucking the trend of having the first monsters available be the first in the Pokedex, Candevil rolls in at #014 and Bansheep at #019.
Candevil's stats give it a generalist spread, which makes sense given its role as a starter. Wouldn't want to have any glaring weaknesses before the player can explore and round out their party with other monsters, right?
Candevil starts with a unique passive, "Sugar Rush", that increases its Speed proportional to how many HP it's lost. Outspeeding the enemy means hitting first, potentially KOing the attacker before it can do any more damage. Candevil's unique attack is Bon Bon Blast, a ranged typeless attack that costs 3 AP and has 70 attack power. It might debuff the target's evasion when it hits.
The inspiration: The very first monster I'm talking about, because it shows up early and comes before the others in the index, is one I didn't even get in the game. But "candy imp" is already a pretty good idea, right? We're one entry in and already we've seen a better monster concept than anything that showed up in Palworld.
The remaster: At five stars, the player is given a prompt: would they rather explore the Alchemy side of progression, or go the way of Machinery?

#019 Bansheep, the "moody floating sheep"
The eerie moans of the wild Bansheep at night have led many to believe they are restless undead spirits, but this is untrue: they are very much alive, they just like to have a bit of a whine. Who doesn't?
Looking at its stat spread, Bansheep just seems... well, just plain better than Candevil. All its stats are just a little bit higher than Candevil's, but in this case that's because of when I took the screen captures. Bansheep's stat chart is coming from the end of the tutorial, where it has three stars under its belt. Candevil's screenshot is from right after the Traffikrab fight at the very beginning of the game, so it has only one star. At their base, Bansheep and Candevil are exactly the same except they swap Melee Defense and Ranged Defense between them, with a difference of 100 and 105 between them. It's not a big deal.
Bansheep starts with a unique passive, "Shear Luck", increasing its evasion based on how many HP it's lost. Obviously if the guy's on low HP it doesn't want to get hit any more and KOed, right? Bansheep's unique attack is Battering Ram, which like Bon Bon Blast costs 3 AP and has 70 attack power, but in contrast it's a melee hit and debuffs the target's accuracy. I feel like Shear Luck and Battering Ram synergize a little better than Sugar Rush and Bon Bon Blast, but also I just like Bansheep's aesthetic better than Candevil's.
The inspiration: It's pure speculation, but I'd say the name came first and the idea followed. Banshee are Irish spirits, the Irish have raised their fair share of sheep throughout history I guess, and you can throw the two into a portmanteau name that rolls off the tongue pretty well. But hey, while we're on the subject of earlygame sheep monsters, which is the more interesting design idea: "floating, keening ghost" or "round"?
The remaster: Bansheep also has a branching path for its progression. Once it gets as big and strong as it can, it'll shift its ghostly form. Should it Return to the Earth or Ascend to Heaven?

#024 Sirenade, the "winged beast with a microphone tail"
Sirenades are particuarly loud creatures, and can amplify their own singing voices through their microphone tails and wings. They don't seem to have much awareness as to whether or not their singing is too loud for those around them.
Sirenade is Kayleigh's signature monster. Whenever Kayleigh transforms into Sirenade, the transformation gets a 10% boost to all its stats.
Sirenade joins up right alongside either Bansheep or Candevil, but a look at its stat spread shows that it's not a generalist like they are. Sirenade is weak and fragile in melee, with a definite bias toward Ranged Attack and Ranged Defense.
The inspiration: "Siren" and "Serenade" combine together well enough I figured I should look up whether they come from the same etymological root. Nope! "Siren" has Greek roots and "Serenade", from "serene", is Latin. Anyway, "karaoke bat" is the sort of off-the-wall monster design that really appeals to me. Give me the oddball designs, that's the good stuff.
The remaster: Sirenade changes form when it reaches five stars, but always turns into the same thing. If I leave out "The Remaster" from a monster's entry, it either doesn't remaster or offers no choice.

#026 Dandylion, the "big flowery lion"
Dandylions are loyal, defensive guardians. They're typically found standing at the entrances to important caves in the grassy plains of New Wirral. If you find one with no cave nearby, it may be a hint that something is hidden!
The very first grass-type Pokemon is Bulbasaur, geared toward defensive stats that let it hang back and knock out opponents with damage-over-time effects like Toxic and Leech Seed. But the grass-type in Pokemon suuucks, with far too many weaknesses to make a defensive mon work all that well. Palworld has tanky grass-types like Mammorest and Wumpo Botan, with only one elemental weakness to make them actually survivable in combat, but no status moves to speak of. Dandylion is the best of both worlds: if I can keep it away from fire and air attacks, it's magnificently tanky. With a few more stars it will be able to put enemies to sleep, absorb their HP, and put up elemental walls to avoid damage.
The inspiration: Dandelion-the-flower comes from "dent de leon", since somebody looked at the spiky leaves and decided they looked like lions' teeth. In this case the flower has actual lions' teeth, on account of being a wu lion-dog sort of creature. Y'know, like Arcanine, but as a plant. The big dandelion poof afro and red-and-green markings help differentiate Dandylion from plain ol' regular "animal but with leaves growing out" design so prevalent for grass-type monsters.

#030 Dominoth, the "big moth". Can't argue with that.
Dominoths see themselves as defenders of peace, and spend their days patrolling the skies of woodland areas. The only thing that can distract them from their noble duties are bright lights, such as lamps.
Thanks to Kamen Rider, bugs and superheroes go hand in hand in Japanese media. Hey, wait a second! Bytten Studios is British! Well, here's a masked moth superhero anyway.
The Inspiration:
Image plus Image
The remaster: Dominoth has a branching remaster, but what it transforms into depends on whether it reaches five stars during the day or at night. If I end up using it, I'll be taking whatever I get.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:39 pm

I played most of the way through Palworld before I started putting anything in the LP thread, because of... well, exactly what happened there near the end. I had to make sure the damn game would work for the length of a Let's Play before I posted anything.

Not so with Cassette Beasts. It's not Early Access, so I'm reasonably confident I'll be able to make it through the whole game. This means I can play an update, post it, and get feedback before I play the next leg of the game. (This in turn means I can adjust the window resolution down and see if that means I can get away with cropping and scaling the screenshots less, so they'll look better.)

So
What do you think? Should I go restart and pick up Candevil instead of Bansheep? Which monsters make it into the active party (once I have enough to switch in and out, of course)? What should I name these critters? Should I romance Kayleigh, or hold off to see who else I meet?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 am

You can freely romance anyone at the 5 star event. It's several rests later you choose to exclusively date them. I say hold out for Lit Chic though. Keep Bansheep, not just because it's got the better starter potential for the broken endgame tactics.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm

Part 2: Some Days Are Diamonds, Some Days Are Rocks

Music: Wherever We Are Now, lyrical version
Now, where was I? Ah yes. Gramaphone Cafe, post-Morgante.

The artwork on the wall includes, among other artistic nods, a depiction of the developer logo. The Jack-o-Lantern is the symbol for Bytten Studios.

The Gramaphone Cafe is the inn. The game made a big deal of giving me my own house at the beginning, but I can't sleep there. It doesn't do anything but hold the dresser for changing my look. So I'll be through the Cafe a lot, might as well swing by and talk to the barista.

Clémence: Bonjour! It is not to often we get a new face in here - especially not one as handsome as your own! I am Clémence, and this fine establishment is the Gramophone Cafe.

There's a voiceover bark where Clémence introduces herself, presumably because not everyone playing the game would be familiar with the proper French pronunciation. Also it turns out I've been misspelling "Gramophone" up til now, whoops.

Clémence: What can I say? I own many records, and I brew the best coffee. Not that there is much competition. Please, feel free to ask me any questions. I am in no rush.

There's a prompt for five different directions to take the conversation, the first is to open the shop menu, where Clémence sells Respools and Rewinds for healing monsters, Canned Iced Lattes for building AP quickly, Pear Fusilli that fills the fusion meter, and some basic tapes. The last option is "Goodbye". The other three are:

Prompt: "The Gramophone Cafe?"
Clémence: Oui. When I arrived in Harbourtown, the people here were crying out for a place to socialise, a place that must be stylish. I made that place - if not me, who else?
The town had a Gramophone, an old machine for playing musical records. So I took this machine and I made it the centerpiece of this new establishment. But the people, they cried out to me, "Clémence! You have a Gramophone but no music!"

The people seem to cry out a lot, huh.

Clémence: Well, one day the rangers find a place, it is filled with music records. So they bring them to me. They lamented, "we have the records, but they are made for modern record players - our Gramophone cannot play them!" I said to them, "shush!" And I fixed the Gramophone and now we can play the records. Now my cafe is stylish, and it has music. Everyone is happy. The end.

Prompt: "How did you get here?"
Clémence: I fell. Landed in the ocean. Washed up here. About ten years ago now. It is what it is.
I miss... Motorbikes.

Prompt: "How do you brew coffee?"
Clémence: I have a... Special method. And the Pipers grow me coffee beans on their farm. It is a good arrangement, oui?

I guess I could have put that in the first part, it wasn't as long as I remembered. But it wasn't important in the middle of the rules about how the game is played, so nbd big deal.

Music: "Eugene's Theme"

Image Image
Outside, there's a confrontation between a guy in an obnoxious pink jacket and... some very pale people in business-casual wear?
Angry Guy: ...Don't make me tell you again! Harbourtown won't fall to you blood suckers!
Pale Man: Tsk. So unreasonable...
Angry Guy: Crawl back to the darkness you came from - or you'll have to go through me! I've fought your kind before and won. Do you want a demonstration?
Pale Man: We shall leave for now... But in time you shall understand that we know what is best for you all.
Angry Guy: Tell the rest of your kind that this town is protected by Eugene!

With the "Pale Man" and his associate gone, Eugene turns to the nearby Harbourtown citizen.
Eugene: Let me know if those creeps bother you again, ma'am. And whatever you do, DON'T invite them into your house. That's what they want.
Woman: I will keep that in mind. Thank you for intervening, young man!

Woman goes inside, and Eugene turns his attention to us.
Eugene: Oh, hey. Sorry you had to see that. The name's Eugene... Which I guess you know, 'cause I just yelled it at those guys.
Prompt: "I'm snalligator!"
Eugene: Always nice to meet a new face around here, snalligator.
Prompt: "Who were those people?" / "What was that all about?"
Eugene: I won't trouble you with the details - but they don't belong in this world. Let's just say that not all the monsters in New Wirral look like cereal mascots. Anyway, I gotta go stake out those guys. I can't risk them sinking their teeth into the good people of Harbourtown.
Prompt: "Can I help?" / "Do you need some assistance?"
Eugene: If you're willing to get your hands dirty, I'd be glad to have you assist! Meet me at this location. I'll give you the full low-down when you're there. Just... prepare yourself for a throwdown. Things might get kinda ugly.

So I've got a new... uh, C-plot quest? Partner quest? Because if the portrait and stuff didn't give it away Eugene is also available as a partner. Despite her signing on earlier I won't be starting Kayleigh's personal quest for a little while yet.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 pm

A nearby Exhausted Ranger wants to build a sign for the town, but has neither the materials nor the inspiration. He asks for 300 wood, which I don't have yet. Put a pin in that one.

The shop stalls on the west side (of the part of town that's available to me, not on the west side across the water) are open, willing to trade for stickers. There's no currency in Harbourtown, everyone barters for materials. Wood and scrap metal, bits of usable plastic, mulched paper and wheat are the way to go. All of the stickers here trade for Pulp, which I don't have much of yet.

The center stall has a quest marker instead of a merchant. The note left behind says they've gone to find inspiration inside a cave in the park, and if they're not back by noon, send help! This starts the quest "A Little Inspiration".

With the tutorial over with, the elevator to the upper level of Harbourtown is functional again.

Citizen: With the way people in this town go on about "monsters" and "cassette tapes", you'd think everyone was having fun here. Well not me! I find all this monster business weird and uncomfortable! Why couldn't I be marooned somewhere more normal?

Citizen: Are you a recent arrival? I've been here 20 years. Eventually the novelty and strangeness of it all will just become a part of everyday life. Why, I barely even think about the fact that I live on an island populated with giant monsters.

Maybe you and that guy outside your house should talk more.

Citizen: You know... I worked so hard to move out of my home town. I really mean it. I was ready for the next part of my life, only to get stuck in another small town. I suppose this is just what fate wanted for me, huh?

Cook: We usually cook food for the townsfolk here, but we haven't received ingredients from the farm west of here for a while. I wonder what's going on?

This isn't a quest but will be something we'll be dealing with once we manage to go west.

Citizen: There's enough food to go round in Harbourtown

for now

Citizen: but options are still limited. I haven't had a duck roll in forever...

Hmm. Dinosaurs and gears, you say.

Tailor: I'd love to say that I make all the clothes in Harbourtown, but... For a while now the rangers have been delivering clothes to us from the abandoned mall in the north. I just clean and repair them.

That seems practical. There aren't a lot of people in Harbourtown but making and maintaining clothes for all of them from scratch would be an overwhelming amount of work.

A construction worker introduces the mechanic of recycling items. Stuff I don't need can be recycled to break it down into the wood, metal, plastic, or pulp I mentioned before. Tapes can be broken down, too -- since I'm not capturing monsters but copying data this is not the same as all the stuff I butchered in Palworld. He forks over an old book, which is useless except that it gives 500 pulp when I recycle it.

There's also a darkened house with an "Astrologer" inside, who is ready to talk about astral-type monsters. The Astral-type draws power from the natural elements: fire, water, air, and earth. It's disrupted by toxic and artificial things: poison, plastic, and worked metal. Something to keep in mind when astral-types start showing up.

Inside the Ranger HQ, the big central building. There's a little seating area to the right and a gym to the left that doesn't open up until postgame, if I'm remembering that right. There's a vending machine that gives themed sticker bundles in exchange for metal.

Ranger Wilma, at center, will open up a specialty shop once I finish the first step of "Take Me On" and find the leader of the Rangers, Ianthe. For now she... tells me to go finish the first step of "Take Me On" and find the leader of the Rangers, Ianthe.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm

That's about everything in Harbourtown, for now. I can leave through the upper level and head north, or I can leave to the east and revisit the bits of the Harbourtown Outskirts I explored during the tutorial. Sometimes a partner has a comment on stuff they see as I explore.

On my way to the park to find Ianthe, I nab a Traffikrab and a Springheel.

#001 Springheel, the "imp with leather boots"
"Springheels get their kicks by hiding behind corners under the cover of night, before leaping out to surprise their victims. It appears that they make their "wings" out of old discarded rags."
First in the Pokedex and first in our hear-- well, no, Springheel are everywhere in-game but they're nothing spectacular in gameplay and aren't as heavily featured in marketing as you might expect. Their lore is accurate enough, they do like to hide behind bits of landscape and hop out for ambush attacks.
The inspiration: We've seen our share of youkai Pokemon, right? When you get a game from a not-Japanese developer, you get different cryptids. Springheel is rather clearly based on Spring-Heeled Jack, a folkloric monster from England in the 1830s and 40s. Spring-Heeled Jack was a sort of humanoid imp that might have just been some guy in a costume, and while varying reports gave him sharp claws or fire breath, all agreed that he could jump hella high. Hence the name.

#011 Traffikrab, the "big traffic cone crab"
"The Traffikrab's cone isn't actually a part of its body - it is merely a traffic cone that has washed up on the shores of New Wirral and been occupied by the creature. It is said that in the past, they would instead find other objects to live inside."
Coming in at number eleven, Traffikrab is the mascot mook for the series. It was the first monster designed, one of the first to show up in promos, and instantly built up some hype for the game because there's not really anything like it out there.
Traffikrab further illustrates how odd the game can get by having one of the most common low-level monsters in the game be a plastic-type. I don't think any other game with elemental attributes on stuff has had a "plastic" type before. I dunno, maybe one of the Shin Megami Tensei games does, they've had elements like "nerve" or "radiation" before.
Traffikrab's signature move is "Traffic Jam", which reduces the speed of all other monsters in the fight, including its own ally. It's... kind of hard to set up a situation where that's useful.
The inspiration: Hermit crab monsters in video games have sharp shells, or spiky shells, or skull shells, or sometimes Huge Battleship Yamato shells. But a hermit crab with a traffic-light eye and a traffic-cone shell, now that's a refreshingly unusual, bizarre take on the idea.

Ah, there's the outpost.

Hey, guess who that is, talking to the shadowy monster there.

Confident Woman: Hey, you! You boys aren't normally bold enough to venture this close to our outpost. Why don't you get on out of here while this conversation remains civil?

The monster does not respond.

Confident Woman: You ain't moving, huh? Guess I gotta get my hands dirty, then.

Music: Like Chimeras
The game's going to tutorial this at me in a second, but wild monsters can fuse, too. This is a Double Dominoth, which as you might guess is the result of two Dominoths fused together.

And in this corner we have our mystery woman, who is level sixty. So this oughta be good.

She transforms into, uh... Metal Gear Rex, I think.

...and launches a nuke. Well, it's a radioactive blast that completely annihilates the Double Dominoth, so it might as well be.

I guess Kayleigh hadn't seen her boss in action before.

Music: Captain Encounter (Peaceful)
And then I have, uh, eighty screenshots of Discord because my screenshot software lost track of which window was the active one, despite the game still taking controller input. The outpost is a wooden structure with two NPCs other than Ianthe inside. One is asleep, so no worries about missing dialog from that one. There's a fridge and a chest but nothing noteworthy in either one. And there is the mystery woman, who has retired here after nuking the monster fusion outside.

Leader Ianthe: Ianthe. Nice to meet you, newbie.

Ianthe is a Greek name, and according to the voiceover bark when talking to her she pronounces it something close to "Yan-tay".

Leader Ianthe: Well, what do you think of this outpost? This place was abandoned for the longest time. With a bit of work, we turned it into a rest stop for weary rangers.
Prompt: "What do you do here?" / "What are the rangers for?"
Leader Ianthe: I'd like to tell you we defend the people of New Wirral from a relentless horde of monsters... But most of the time we're doing odd jobs for the community. It's really not that exciting. Kayleigh can attest to that, as one of our more recent recruits!

We'll meet the other ranger leaders later on. One is a construction worker who keeps the roads and buildings maintained. One keeps the electrical grid up and running. At least two scavenge resources that wash up in New Wirral to deliver to Harbourtown. So yeah, sometimes the rangers have mundane but important jobs to do.

Kayleigh, obviously nervous and blurting out the first thing that comes to mind: W-well, snalligator and I jsut fought an Archangel!
Leader Ianthe: ...Is that so? We'll have to look into this. We're pretty sure Archangels exist, but our interactions with them have been... fleeting.
Kayleigh, apparently over it: Well, maybe we should find more! Ianthe, I think snalligator should apply to be a ranger!
Leader Ianthe: Well, what do you think, snalligator? Do you wanna apply to join the rangers?

Music: Captain Encounter: Hostile
Prompt: "Apply?" / "What do I have to do?"
Leader Ianthe: Trainees are tasked with meeting up with each of the ranger captains here in New Wirral, and overcoming their challenges. Since you're such a hotshot in monster combat, I'm pretty sure the captains are gonna want to test your fighting abilities.
Prompt: "Ranger... captains?" / "Who are these Ranger captains?"
Leader Ianthe: You really are new here. Trainees who pass the trial become full-time rangers, like Kayleigh. Rangers have a lot of responsibilities, but nothing that would put them in significant danger. The captains, like myself, run the whole operation. We try to maintain the community in Harbourtown, and the most dangerous situations fall on us to resolve.
Prompt: "So captains are the top rangers..." / "OK, I understand now!"

The music switches back to Captain Encounter (Peaceful), and Ianthe hands over a Ranger Trainee card. It's got twelve spots on it for the ranger captains to stamp once I win their approval.

Leader Ianthe: Each captain has perfected their own strategy in battle - it ain't just about raw strength. You're gonna have to learn to adapt your approach as you go. You think you can handle it, snalligator?
Prompt: "I'm ready!" / "Of course!"
Leader Ianthe: That's the spirit. Anyway, I gotta head back into town. If you need me, come swing by our headquarters. The building with half a ship wedged on top of it? You can't miss it.

This updates "Take Me On" with the new goal I just said. Ianthe exits, hopping on top of the player character's head and strolling out the door. A note on the table describes an elf creature that will remain happy if given a toy to play with, otherwise it is consumed by rage. Have I seen any elf monsters around? Or toys, for that matter?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 pm

There's probably more I'm missing but my screenshots resume when I'm outside. The chest behind the ranger outpost has an AP Drain sticker, an Astral-type move that reduces how many AP the target generates per turn. A jogger tells me that fast travel is a thing, once I unlock locations to travel to and from. And there's a campfire.

Music: By The Campfire
The campfire offers the luxuries of the Gramophone Cafe without having to return to Harbourtown. I can swap tapes into my active party, manage my tapes, or rest. Resting consumes eight wood for the campfire, though. Resting proceeds the ingame clock to nighttime, so the next few screencaps are going to be darker than usual.

A nearby chest is a real get, the Random Starter sticker lets me get a free hit in at the start of combat. I can't pick which move gets used, but a free move is a free move. I immediately put this on Bansheep.

On the beach, in a little cove I couldn't reach before, I find an Ice-IX Tape. If I ever see an ice-type monster I want to record, this tape will have a much higher record chance against it. I think it works as a Basic Tape against anything that isn't ice-type. I don't know if there's a tape for every monster type, but there's one for most of them.

The Elemental Wall that saved my bacon back in the fight with Morgante? Enemies love to use those. Here a Traffikrab piles up a bunch of Lego bricks in front of a Dandylion. I don't have any moves that are effective against the plastic-type yet, so I have to chip this one down.

Green chests are easy to open. Red ones are locked. How a chest is opened may not be immediately obvious, but the trigger is rarely very far away.

In this case, the trigger is a button hidden under a shallow pool. Lift the crate off the trigger, and the chest opens. Inside is "Throw" a sticker that destroys a protective wall in front of a monster and deals damage based on how much durability the wall had left.

Music: Face Down
It's a Pokemon-like. There are humans standing around in the wilderness, unbothered by the local monsters, who challenge any human passersby they see.

Both people transform into Carnivipers, Kayleigh and I turn into Sirenade and Bansheep, and Random Starter pays off. Bansheep bites about two thirds of Carniviper #1's HP away before anyone gets to move.

Defeated humans revert from their transformations and slump over. Not all humans are limited to only one monster form, but these two are.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 pm

This is the cliff underneath the ranger outpost, with the camera rotated to face toward the west so I can see what I'm doing. There's a door here.

Music: Into the Caves
Rather than a tiny alcove with a chest or a button, it's the entrance to a cave.

Hop down to one side to find a hidden switch, which reveals a second switch, which lights one of the lamps beside the chest.

On the other side, switches will start a blast of air that launches me upward, allowing me to glide to the next platform in line. The switch at the top opens a path down where I started, which lights the other lamp. What's in the chest? I didn't screenshot it so it mustn't have been that important. I think it was a stash of money-resources.

I don't have a ton of healing resources to make long excursions, so I've got to return to Harbourtown before long. With the progress I've made, townspeople are sometimes able to provide rumors that point me to quest objectives or other interesting things to investigate.

Like any quest, rumors are marked on the map with a general area I can explore to find the object of the hint I'm looking for.

They're even added to the quest list so I don't forget them. Another helpful citizen points me to where Eugene is "staking out", hem hem, those mysterious sinister people from earlier.

The sticker stalls offer a Glass Coating sticker, the cornerstone of speedrun strats. I buy it... but none of the monsters I have right now can use it. I settle for Slice, an untyped melee attack that hits all enemies with attack power 30. It's a multitarget Smack, which isn't fantastic, but only costs 1 AP so it's something Bansheep can use every turn if I want.

Now that I've met Ianthe, Hoylake is stationed on the far right side of the Ranger HQ.

Hoylake: Greetings and salutations, newcomer! I am Professor Percival Hoylake, intrepid investigator into the unknown!
Prompt: "The unknown?" / "Investigator?"
Hoylake: Indeed! As we find ourselves marooned in this curious realm, it falls upon a steadfast and rational mind to make sense of the chaos that surrounds us. I am talking of the scientific method! We must observe, analyse and form conclusions! The humble townsfolk describe many strange beasts on this island. If we were to catalogue them, then the unknown would cease to BE unknown.
Say, you look like you appreciate the importance of this task. Would you be interested in helping me identify some monsters?

Prompt: "Sure!" / "Not now."
Hoylake: Excellent! Wonderful! I have some descriptions of monsters I've sourced from Harbourtown's populace. If you can record these monster forms, I'll be able to catalogue them. The first account I have is "a fanged creature perched on a skull, spotted in the park."

He hands me five blank tapes to use to record the thing he just described, and adds "On The Hunt" to my quest list. I pick up an Incinerate sticker from a rooftop on my way out of town.