Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Oh hey, looks like Georg also got bitten by the level 99 bug.

Just do a quick comparison here. Georg is good at almost everything, Hoi is good at almost nothing. Georg has almost double Hoi's strength, forty extra points of technique, seventy points on defense, and almost the same speed. Speed, technique, and luck are what Hoi's best at!

And now you know why Hoi never made it into a poll in the first place.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Ah, this must be someone Hai Yo knows. (Spoiler: he's also from the Black Dragon group.)

Tellingly, Hai Yo is quaking in his slip-resistant kitchen shoes at the sight of Retso. But you know what's coming...

Retso's a true showman, stopping periodically to spin his sparkling golden cleavers around and pose with them in the middle of the cooking contest.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:30 pm

He's also an impeccably perfect chef. Everyone, no matter how harsh, or whatever their natural tastes may be, gives him a perfect score.

There's just no beating a cook like that.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:37 pm

Hai Yo: W, wait a minute, Retso! You can't give the 'Moon Bird Recipe' to Jinkai! Listen to what I have to say!
Retso: Why should I? You killed my daughter Shun Min and stole the secrets of the Black Dragon Group! I don't need to listen to you!!!
Hai Yo: You, you're wrong!!!
Retso: Liar!!! Don't try to fool me! Retso knows a lie when he hears one!

Freedy: That's right. Why not?
Min Min: Yeah, that's just plain rude!! Hai Yo is asking from the bottom of his heart!!!

Did I ever introduce Min Min? She's something like the head server or front-of-house manager for the restaurant. Betwen cutscenes she's usually hanging out in the kitchen but doesn't seem to ever work with food or wear a chef coat, and is usually the one in the dining room when a cutscene like this happens and Hai Yo's not already there. She doesn't have a portrait and isn't one of the Stars of Destiny, though.

Hai Yo: Y, you're all so......
Retso: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Very well, Hai Yo. Speak quickly.
Hai Yo: R, Retso...... Jinkai is planning to use that recipe to carry out an evil plan!! Shun Min... Shun Min knew that and tried to stop him... She gave the recipe to me to hold onto. She gave her life to stop him... That, that's why you mustn't....
Retso: No, Hai Yo. I don't believe that Jinkai is that type of person. But on the other hand, I don't think everything you say is a lie either. I'll give you a chance Hai Yo. Before I go back to Lord Jinkai, I'll come back here once more. Until then, Hai Yo, try and see if you can become a better chef than me!!!!
Hai Yo: A better chef than Retso.... That's impossible.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Before the battle for Greenhill, you'd better retire to your room and get some rest.

There's a bit of nighttime exploring to do, but no one in their rooms seems to have anything new or interesting to say.

But Chaco's hanging out in one of the stairways with a few encouraging words.

The gypsies are in the main hall, planning out where to go next once the war is over. Wanderlust is a terrible burden, but Bolgan has a great idea: Muteiu can come along. Then Eilie doesn't have anything to worry about!

Eilie blushes red-hot at the mere implication that she's even a little bit concerned about that sort of thing. B-baka!

Captain Gengen is in the entry hall, psyching up his troops for the battle tomorrow. Say what you will, the little guy's got enthusiasm.

Freedy and Yoshino are making lovey-eyes at one another over the thought of what a fine young man Muteiu is. And that's totally not weird and creepy, at all.

The Liberation Army leaders and the Lampdragon bandits are at Leona's to chat and relax. That's mugs of beer for the guys from Toran, sake for the bandits.

And Leona gives Muteiu some lemon tea to help him sleep -- no booze, natch, he's too young -- and a shoulder to cry on if he needs it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:48 pm

If a young woman in fetish gear with a whip is going to sneak into a boy's bedroom, there are only two possible outcomes. This is the worse of the two.

And seriously, an assassin with a whip? Not a poisoned dagger, or an axe, or a sniper's crossbow? It's not like Muteiu is about to teleport around the room and throw fireballs in threes.

After a few rounds of fighting -- you can't really lose -- some supporting cast rush in to arrest Lucia and drag her away.

And by the time you wake up, there are guards stationed outside your bedroom.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Why do we even have a prison you guys?

I'm as surprised as anyone to discover that "laxity" is a real word.

Shu: Lord Muteiu, we've finished preparations for the liberation of Greenhill. I've divided our forces in half. General Hauser, Viktor and Flik will go to the Muse-Greenhill border to slow down any enemy forces coming from Muse. Meanwhile, General Kiba and his son, Klaus, will attack and liberate Greenhill. Apple will stay here and coordinate communications between the two armies. If you're ready, Lord Muteiu, I'll give the order to deploy.

There's a choice!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:54 pm

I bet if I go with the diversionary group meant to hold off the Highland reinforcements, it'll help convince them that our target is Muse instead of Greenhill! I'll go with Hauser.

The map is a narrow woodland path, with our forces starting at the Muse-Greenhill checkpoint. The goal is to repel the Highland Army as they come.

Culgan and Seed don't even show up. It's just Jowy and three nameless mook units.

And Jowy's the one leading the charge.

Well... that was easy. Somebody give Shin a medal.

And so we proceed into Greenhill.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:07 pm

You know, if our main strike force is going to be marching into Greenhill, I'd better go with them!

The Karaya clan are from the Grasslands, where as groups of aboriginal tribesmen they're constantly under pressure from Harmonia, Zexen, Greenhill, and Tinto pushing into their traditional homeland. So for any established country to recognize their nationhood and right to their own political borders is a pretty big deal for them!

So there's Yuber in back, on cavalry. He's flanked by magic-using and archer Highland soldier units, and the front lines are manned by Highland infantry and Karaya guerilla fighters.

Ayda's presence in both battles is a bit strange. If Muteiu goes to the Muse border, she's there. If he comes to Greenhill, she's there too. Since both maps are covered in the forests Ayda loves so much, her ability to triple her movement speed and harry the enemy with arrows is much appreciated in both places.

Such as here, where she can sneak in and snipe at the enemy spellcaster unit. Without her sneaking through the woods, we'd have to charge up and cut through a whole damn lot of infantry before making it this far.

Magic has an even better range than arrows, so she's vulnerable to counterattack, but Ayda has Heal Self as her own ability and Dr. Huan accompanying her. She can retreat with her forest super-speed, heal up, and return to attack again.

We have our own spellcasting unit, too. Luc heavily favors offense, so I always give him unit support that gives him the biggest Attack bonus possible, and Cavalry for the extra mobility to make sure he always has a target to hit. He's a better sniper than Ayda or Teresa, capable of attacking enemies at much higher power from further away, nearly immune to counterattack.

Since the Highland Army is on the defensive here, they don't move and attack much. Countering is all an immobile enemy can do, and I'm standing outside of counterattack range...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Eventually we chew through the front lines and enter the city proper... which I thought was the goal for this fight. But no, we have to wipe out the occupying forces, including Yuber's Attack 16 Defense 12 cavalry.

GOD DAMMIT RIDLEY STOP DYING AND RETREATING AND TURNING FAKE TRAITOR EVERY DAMN BATTLE YOU'RE IN

This is actually his unit getting wiped out -- Yuber's a tough fight -- but he's fine.

You know Yuber's a tough opponent when he can do some damage to General Kiba.

Okay... just one more to go.

Got him down...

And the battle takes an even longer time because Yuber's standing on a city tile, which heals units between turns. So that initial hit Luc managed eventually went away, and I had to land two more hits to finally win.

And so we proceed to Greenhill.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:19 pm

And so everyone leaves, and we're stuck waiting.

Ho hum.

After some of the reports, you're asked for an opinion on what to do next. And... if you give the wrong answer, Apple overrides you anyway. If you don't want to go fight, you can just sit and be bored for several minutes!

Report: 'The enemy forces are being led by the Fourth Highland Army's commander, Yuber, and the leader of the Karaya tribe, Lucia. I will take over command of this battle.' That is all.
Apple: Heh, that's just like Shu.

After this the reports slow in frequency significantly, since Shu doesn't feel the need to ask for Muteiu's opinion anymore.

All told the 'sit and wait' scenario takes a good ten minutes. Of sitting in a mostly-empty room. Yeah, really.

And so we proceed to Greenhill.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:25 pm

For the record, if you don't wipe Jowy out immediately, the checkpoint battle gets kind of tough. Culgan and Seed are waiting in the wings, each with their own backup of Highland mooks, often including archery and magic troops. (And Culgan himself is an archer.)

The result is that just as you do some damage to Jowy's troops, they teleport out and you have to deal with Seed's charge. And as soon as you start to get any upper hand against Seed, he retreats and Culgan steps in.

In a long battle rich with bow and magic targets, so Gijimu gets a couple chances to use his Melee ability. As far as I can tell it works like Critical, but assuming you're targeting the right sort of enemy has a far higher chance to activate.

The Greenhill battle is a drawn-out slog against one unit that is too tough to easily down and occasionally manages to heal itself (Yuber, you bastard). The checkpoint battle is intended to be a drawn-out slog against wave after wave of easier but more numerous opponents.

Unless you maange to wipe out the very first leader with a Critical almost before the battle starts. :nyoro~n:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:29 pm

SO ANYWAY we proceed to Greenhill.

For a scholarly university town, they've got some surprising defenses.

Remember that forest path we had to sneak out of, then double back on, then flee out of again? GUESS WHAT WE GET TO DO NEXT

As I said before, Shin wants to come too. Teresa's a noncombatant and sits in the convoy. Shin can enter the active party, stay with Teresa in the party convoy, or be told to sit down and be a good boy until we're done with the job. If there's a tie for fourth place, I'll put Shin in instead of choosing randomly or semi-randomly who gets to go. Otherwise (as is the case right now, with Sierra, Long Chan Chan, Wakaba, Anita, and Valeria leading the poll), he'll go into the convoy. Voting will stay open for a while longer.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:47 pm

nosimpleway wrote:
  • He can't go back to Falena because he's wanted for the crime of murdering the Queen. What the hell could have happened back there...

You know, I never did finish 5.

Or find out what the deal was with his eyepatch.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Queenslayer
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:35 pm

But seriously, "loyal knight who would never ever break an oath breaks an oath to kill an insane monarch" seems likely.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:54 pm

It probably doesn't require spoilertagging that Suikoden 5 is a prequel where you play the prince who overthrows his mother the evil queen and Georg is one of the main supporting party members, as most of these details are established either on the box art or in the very beginning of the game.

I didn't get far enough to find out why Georg has an eyepatch in 5, though. I assume he's concealing something in it like that Nick Fury TV movie with David Hasseloff. Except without the empty eyesocket.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:12 pm

As a young soldier, Georg made a mistake in a fight and nearly got his eye put out; his buddy Ferid from Falena saved his binocular vision. But in order to always be careful to not repeat his mistake, he kept the eyepatch over his perfectly fine, healthy eyeball. He wore it while he was one of Barbarosa's Six Great Generals and continued wearing it when he returned to Falena to help with their Sun-Rune-drives-our-queen-crazy problem. Sometime after the Falena Civil War and War of the Sun Rune, but before traveling to Tinto and meeting the son of Genkaku, he sheds the eyepatch.

All this detail is to cover a mistake: the person who did the concept art of Barbarosa's Six Great Generals for Suikoden 1 drew Georg with an eyepatch, and the person who did the character art for Suikoden 2 drew him without one. Once they went back and wrote Suikoden 5 they gave him a backstory to explain it, rather than writing it off as a continuity error.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:18 pm

When I played through to get my screenshots the poll looked much different than it does now.

Well, not that much different. You guys sure do love your short-ranged fighters. Hey, Long Chan Chan...

Yep. I probably should pay a little more attention to who is starting at level 99, it seems the sort of thing that would affect voting one way or another.

Anyhow, Teresa leads the way back into the woods around Greenhill.

The monsters have powered up significantly! Well, the Holly Boys haven't, those are Dragon Quest slimes no matter when or where they appear. But Elder Hollies are damn tough, with loads of HP and long-range attacks.

There are scripted encounters with Highland soldiers, in case you forgot why you're here.

It's hard to tell with the number surrounded by an impact burst, but that's Long Chan Chan kicking a dude in the face and dealing four-digit damage while he does it.

The DoReMi elves are powered up, too. And they, sad to say, drop a Recipe, so I spend a damned long time fighting them. Unfortunately, the recipe they drop is bugged -- if you got the recipe dropped by Eagle Man back in the Kobold Forest, the game assumes you've also gotten this one, and won't cough it up. I have a GameShark code to allegedly fix it, but after a long time grinding and no recipe in sight, I can't tell if I have particularly bad luck or if the code doesn't work.

The recipe is for Japanese Stew. Between missing this and Ohitashi way back when, you might assume I just plain don't like Japanese food. But th... that's not true at all!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Near the part where the new forest path gives way to the forest maps you've been through three times already, Lucia is waiting.

She attacks with some of her fellow tribesmen, but they are easily dispatched.

Lucia gets two attacks per turn, and spends them either snapping her whip at someone...

...or using a powerful Fire rune spell.

Which I was rather counting on, since I gave Wakaba the Waking Rune I pulled off of Sid. She's been pretty useless in the back row, but now she's awake, and berserk, and combined with Long Chan Chan's Fury Rune...

Wakaba's normal attack is a flurry of kicks, Long Chan Chan attacks with a flurry of jabs. So together they whip out a long series of lightning-fast attacks...

...followed by a Street Fighter style hurricane kick into the air.

The Twin Fighter attack is hard to activate, but can be used every turn as long as Wakaba and Long Chan Chan are berserk. And the berserk from the Fury and Waking runes doesn't wear off, so...

It's a pretty short battle.

Teresa: Why do you think of us as enemies?
Lucia: Listen to yourself, woman of Greenhill!! I never thought I'd hear such words from you!!
Teresa: What are you talking about?
Lucia: We, the people of the Karaya, have been caught up in countless foolish wars with you, and have always been oppressed. And just when some measure of harmony was in sight... Your father Alec and Gordeau of Matilda poisoned my father to death at a peace council. They assassinated him! They probably thought that since a girl was next in line to be chieftan, they could control us. A most foolish strategy indeed! All the Karaya are warriors... men, women, it doesn't matter!
Teresa: My father did what...? I understand. When this war is over, I will investigate your claims. If they prove true, I swear my father's sin will be acknowledged and you will be compensated. For now, I ask you to believe in us. Lord Muteiu is different from my father, and from the past rulers of the City-State. I ask you to watch our struggle and decide for yourself.
Lucia: . . . .

And so Lucia joins the arm--

...or not. In early drafts of the script, Lucia joined as the Teni star. But that got nixed at some point, leading to a yet-unseen replacement. Lucia is the Teni star in Suikoden 3.