Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 pm

All the castle craftsmen bumrush Gadget and give him a few system upgrades.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:06 pm

I think this scene changes depending on which monsters you've recruited, because I'd never had Abizboah and the five squirrel squad all in the same game before. I do stand corrected: the game canon does ship Kinnison and Ayda.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Heh heh. Crystal Ballet.

Viktor and Flik pass through the old fort, with Tengaar dragging Hix along.

...and Nina's chasing behind them.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:09 pm

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 pm

...hey! Hey! Aren't you forgetting something?

THIS IS BAD END.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57 pm

FUCK YOU GAME, HOW MANY BAD ENDS YOU HAVE?

3. It's 3.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 pm

So instead of agreeing to the idea that he should run a country, Muteiu just...

...walks away.

Flik tries to encourage Muteiu to stay, but Viktor knows the deal. At this point you're free to go anywhere and do anything you want, should you feel motivated to explore the world you saved or look for more treasures or anything.

But you have to do it alone, because Leona's not around to swap in party members.

I returned to Kyaro to see if there was anything noteworthy before I went back to L'Frenchyname, and there isn't... but it doesn't show up on Viki's teleport list at any point either. So if you want to go back to Highland, you have to go to the capital, rather than Kyaro or Sajah.

Sajah's not a good choice, though, because the next part is in on the opposite side of the country.

Tenzan Pass is a bit bigger than it was when Muteiu was here before, back when he was a soldier in the Highland Youth Brigade instead of the potential leader of the City-State.

And as the last ending's final image hints, you're headed back to where it all began.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Jowy: This is where our journey began. You and I walked along the same path for so long together but this is where they began to diverge... But... I have no regrets. But if I did, it would be that I had to betray the City-State and assassinate Lady Annabelle.... You and I were a lot alike..... We were both aiming for the same thing. But I just..... At the Highland camp, after I let you both to escape ahead, I was captured and met Luca Blight again. I hated him from the beginning, it's true, but I think I admired his strength a little bit too..... I thought if I was that strong, I could protect everyoneand I could create a gentle world where nobody would ever be hurt.

Between "let you both to escape ahead" and "everyoneand" you can really tell there was a big time crunch to get the final script written. No time to proofread at all. Oh, and the monsters in the area are named random assortments of garbage characters, like Futch's lines at Greenhill way back when. Same reason.

Jowy: But... No.... forget about it. This is a battle between the King of Highland and the leader of the KISS Army. This is truly... the final battle.

Seriously, what is even the point anymore?

Sigh. Looks like there's no avoiding this.

I'll do what I have to do, but I'd like to go on the record stating that I'm not enjoying it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Jowy: Muteiu..... Hold up your right hand...

Jowy: It may seem like all is lost, but we'll always have memories... Forgive me.... Muteiu..... I sent many men to their deaths... No one knows the pain of that more than I do..... But... just as I thought... You had no choice... You had to defeat me. A glorious hero defeats an evil king..... The people will all talk and sing about your heroic rise to fame and forget the horrors and the sins of war.... The defeated soldiers too will feel comforted by the fact that they were defeated by a hero and deceived by an evil king...

And thus the Rune of Beginning is complete once more.

Jowy: Hold on dearly to this peace... that we fought so hard for. The rune... it will lend you its power, I'm sure of it.... Farewell....... My friend..... Muteiu...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:23 pm

The rest of the ending is the same. Muteiu, now with the complete Rune of Beginning, returns to Vania Castle to accept his position as leader of the City-State.

Look at your life. Look at your choices.

THIS IS BAD END.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:08 pm

You know what? No we don't. We don't. We're friends, and just because we went about things two different ways doesn't mean I'm going to kill you.

Because fuck fate, fuck what the true runes want, and fuck this entire war. I'm not doing this.

Muteiu: I have no reason to fight you.
Jowy: There IS a reason..... To remove any trace of the Highland Kingdom from this land... Agares Blight and Luca Blight are already dead, and I've put Jillia to rest with my own hands.... I'm the last living Blight..... Cut the Blight bloodline once and for all or there will always be fanatics who'll try to revive the Highland Kingdom..... After all, sometimes hope can drive people to madness... Let's make our war the last war ever to plague this land.....

I recognize my opponent has a reason, but given that it's a stupid-ass reason, I have elected to ignore it.

Jowy can beat on Muteiu all he wants, but Muteiu refuses to raise a tonfa against him.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Jowy: That's all I ever wanted... to be loved by everyone just like you were.... And that's why........

Jowy's back to his "oh shit dying" face.

Jowy: I had to.... use my... 'Black Sword Rune' to stop it.... Our two runes... together... they make a True Rune..... But... if you use it by itself... it takes your life....

Oh, so that's why suddenly collapsing has been such a problem throughout the game.

Jowy: Muteiu......... I'm going to die anyway... So... I give you... my life... so the two can become one again... Muteiu... your right hand...
Muteiu: I can't do that.
Jowy: Muteiu.... I... I'm sorry... I can't stand it any more.... All the lives that I stole... All the people I hurt....
Jowy: Please... I beg of you... don't let our dream.... have been in vain.....
Jowy: ...Muteiu..... There's no.... time..... Please... I'm already....

Seem like a typical choice that isn't a choice until you agree to follow the railroad plot to wherever it goes?

You'd be forgiven for thinking that, but it's not!

Jowy: This power..... It's healing my body......

Leknaat: Just as when this world was first born...... Muteiu..... even so..... you chose not to fight.... That spirit... and the spirit of the 108 Stars of Destiny... They have called forth the power of the True Rune of Beginning... Muteiu, just as I thought, you are a strong man.... Please go.... Muteiu, Jowy the world is still mostly unknown to you, overflowing with new things..... There's no reason for you to stay in these lands.

Jowy's back to his not-dying portrait.

Jowy: [i]But.... I... I murdered people with my own hands... Lady Anabelle, Luca Blight and all those soldiers.... My sins are heavy.....

Leknaat: And they will not disappear so long as you live.

Which, now that your true rune is stuck on your hand and not killing you? Is probably forever. You're unaging now.

Leknaat: But I believe you're strong enough to go on and make this world a better place.

Leknaat out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Jowy: But I can forget this land, forget the name Jowy, and maybe... I can start again....

Sure you can. But you've been abandoned by the Atreides and you're renouncing the Blights. If you need a name, have you considered... oh, I dunno. Schtotleheim Reinbach IV?

Jowy: Let's go..... Muteiu...... Let's make this place the beginning of our journey.....

Jowy rejoins, after losing him in Muse and again in Rockaxe. He's been through some shit and got all the way to level 99, but hasn't been keeping his staff sharp.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Back at the former site of the Unicorn Brigade Camp...

Shu: Then we'd have problems, because without you two, we wouldn't have peace in this land.

Shu: I had hoped that you would stay and lead this country. You're the right man to do it. But I won't try to stop you. You've certainly paid your dues and then some. We could ask no more of you. Go out and there and see the world, feel the world. It's still a big world to you. And I hope that when you're finished with your journey, one day you'll come back.
Shu: There's just one thing I have left to report. Although I was asked not to tell you until this point, I'll understand if you wish to punish me for disloyalty. When Nanami fell... in the Matilda Knightdom....

We're treated to a brief flashback of the moment the worst news of Muteiu's life was delivered.

But here's the rest of the scene. Huan asks Shu to come into his office. This is the indication that you've done everything right, but I left it out of this LP so far because I wanted to leave some surprise for the end. I'll understand if you wish to punish me for disloyalty.

Shu: Something on your mind?
Nanami: Yes....... I... I... I'm thinking about getting away from Muteiu for a while.
Shu: .....Muteiu will be saddened to hear that.
Nanami: I know... I know that, but... But it's hard for me. Muteiu and Jowy fighting..... Also it's hard for me to see Muteiu in pain..... When there were arrows raining down on us and Muteiu tried to shield me with his body, I realized it.... Muteiu shouldn't do such a thing. He's too important for that......
Shu: A leader of men can't behave like that.
Nanami: That's.... that's why I'm going to let you have him all to yourself for a while.
Shu: What will you do?
Nanami: I"ll go back to Grandpa Genkaku's house. I think it's safe and besides.... Besides... when this is all over, that kid will need a place to return home to. Right? Also.... I have a favor to ask. If it's ever time for Muteiu to come home, tell him about this conversation.
Shu: Why do you ask ME to do it?
Nanami: Because I figure if it's you, you'd 'never' tell him until it was absolutely necessary...
Shu: Yeah, you're right.... I'll do it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Back to Kyaro!

Back to the dojo!

One final farewell to Genkaku...

...a farewell to the Atreides house...

...and a farewell to Kyaro town, and the three are off!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 pm

There's no general summary of their travels, but...

...Jowy does lead the group to Harmonia, to make sure that Pilika and Jillia are happy.

Jowy walks away without a word spoken, but Pilika notices anyway, and runs off.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Whatever the result of that meeting was, the group are off again, through mountains and forests, seeing the world to their heart's content.

The results for the rest of the army are the same, up until you reach Nanami and Muteiu's entries, revealing the best of all possible worlds.

THE (GOOD) END

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Wait? So did Muteiu sacrifice his bright shield to heal Jowy and reunite the rune that way?

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 pm

I think he just cast an HP restoration spell from his healing rune to prevent the plot death. Which might be the first time someone's done that. Where was that in Rockaxe, man?

Now that I think about it, there's some unpleasant implications to the happy wandering ending. Jowy and Muteiu both have True Runes to keep them young and healthy forever, but Nanami kinda ... doesn't. They might need to go jump Luc or something so they don't have to watch her just wither and die.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Chalk it up to the inscrutable power of the true runes. Maybe they decided that they didn't need to physically combine into the Rune of Beginning to be together, so Black Sword just... stopped killing Jowy. Canonically both of them still have half a true rune, only in the bad end where you kill Jowy does the Rune of Beginning ever reunite its broken halves.

But yes, half a true rune is enough to be ageless (just look at Leknaat and Windy), so one day Nanami will grow old and die, and Muteiu and Jowy will still be as we see them now.