Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blossom

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Blossom » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Yes, that's true, but Suikoden V spells out that the Moon Bird recipe is just sashimi cut in a special way.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Brentai wrote:It's not like there aren't real life examples of super-duper secret recipes out there.

Well yes but I have a bookshelf that says not every recipe in the world is like that.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Well, yes. Some wizards can memorize their recipes. What's why Gremio could give his recipe card away.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:19 am

Shu: General Kiba... I have a great favor to ask of you.
Kiba: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm listening.
Shu: The next battle will most likely determine the outcome of the war. If we hope to win, we're going to have to take a gamble.
Kiba: It will be a hard battle...
Shu: Highland and the KISS Army continue to glare at each other across the divide of the great lake. And although the Matilda Knightdom has surrendered, the area is still unstable and the Highland Army can't pull their forces away.
Kiba: You're saying that even if we take the gamble, we can't defeat Matilda....? So then, what do you...
Shu: I want you to take a regiment to attack Viktor's old fort east of Muse. Even if Highland realizes it's a decoy, they'll have to divide their army to defend the Highland Kingdom from you. They'll probably call upon Leon Silverburg to do it...
Kiba: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lord Shu, since my defeat, I feel I've lost my place in this world. But when I see Lord Muteiu... See him charm these people and transcend this war... It may be inappropriate for a general, but it makes me believe in miracles. Lord Shu, I don't need your men. The soldiers who have followed me from Highland will be enough.
Shu: Thank you... General Kiba.
Kiba: Lord Shu, it is not like you to bow to the likes of me. Please take care of my son. Under your tutelage, he will become a brilliant strategist.

Shu goes "You realize this is a suicide mission right?" and Kiba goes "Yeah but you need to keep the enemy strategist pinned down as long as possible through sheer Won't-Fuckin'-Die-itude, and that makes me the man for the job" and Shu goes "Yeah, thanks" and Kiba leaves.

Shu: The forces behind this war are about to reach their limit. The winners will win everything, the losers will lose everything. Both the State and Highland will be betting their existence on this battle. You have two choices. One is to stay the course. This is the easy road, but it is the path to defeat. The other is to fight for victory for all. This is a thorny path, but it is the path of Kings.

Well, it's not like I got anybody left to recruit, and those damned DoReMi elves in Greenhill aren't coughing up the recipe I want, so let's do it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:36 am

Flik: If we meet them head on, we will likely be crushed.
Shu: So we have split our army. General Kiba's troops will head east of Muse, outside of the Highland Kingdom. Highland will split their army to keep him from getting close.That is when the rest of our army will attack Matilda.
Viktor: Then it will be closer to 30,000 versus. 20,000...
Shu: This is a gamble. And since we are risking everything, it's a big gamble. But if we don't risk our lives, we can't win this war. This will be the fiercest battle yet, and anyone unwilling to die should leave now. You will not be pursued. No one will blame you.

Shu's straightforward manner sends a ripple of discussion through the crowd.

Viktor: We're all ready to die if need be.
Flik: We can't give up now! We'll all be laughed at!
Tsai: Any craftsman would be ashamed to begin a job and not finish it!
Captain Gengen: Then let's go!! We will show them the might of the Kobolds!
Tai Ho: We didn't come this far to not see things through to the end!
Yam Koo: You always say stuff like that.
Teresa: We will fight! For everyone! For ourselves!
Fitcher: I... Uh... Ummm..
Eilie: What are you saying? We've come too far to run away! Isn't that right, Muteiu?
Rina: That's right! We've known Muteiu for a long time. We must lend him our strength now!
Bolgan: Let's go!! Muteiu!!!
Chaco: There's no way Wingers are gonna lose to humans, Muteiu!
Ridley: Lord Muteiu, we will protect you with the pride of the Kobolds and the pride of the people of Two River City!
Hauser: It is a soldier's duty to follow orders.
Kiba: Lord Muteiu, I have already given my life to you. You may use it as you please! Hahahahahahahahaha!
Klaus: Lord Muteiu...
Apple: Mr... Muteiu...
Nanami: Let's do it, Muteiu! It'll be okay. I promise. We'll win. I know it.

Everyone cheers.

Leknaat: The Bright Shield on your right hand and the Black Sword Jowy holds are the two aspects of the 'Rune of Beginning'. Power to decide this war. Cold, uncompromising power. The 108 Stars of Destiny and the bearer of the Bright Shield Rune have now been assembled. This is proof of his right. The Bright Shield Rune's seal may now be broken. Muteiu... your right hand. May the thoughts of the 108 Stars be as one and grant Muteiu new power.

The level four spell on the Bright Shield Rune is unlocked: Forgiver Sign restores 2000 HP, divided among the entire party depending on who needs it, up to a full heal for everyone. Any of that 2000 damage not healed by the party is dealt to the enemy instead.

(Apparently if the party needs more than 2000 HP of healing the spell bugs somehow, but I can't find out exactly what that means. Given the number of level 99 characters with over 900 HP I have, it may be something I can experiment with myself.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:44 am

Um, "win" in the greater sense of "achieving the overall goal we as a side in this conflict want to see happen". I know this is a suicide mission, too.

Kiba: Well, we must depart, my lord. Good fortune to you.
Klaus: Good fortune to you too... Father...
Kiba: Klaus, serve Lord Muteiu with honor.
Klaus: I will...
Kiba: I've always been proud of you, my son.
Klaus: No, Father... it's I who am proud to have you as my father.

So off we go.

The only unit we're missing is Kiba's. And they're missing Leon's. Jowy, Seed, Culgan, Lucia, Yuber, and Gorudo are all present on the enemy's side.

For my first attack, I move Georg's unit over to an Highland bow unit and have him...

...uh, completely fucking wreck their shit. To take a unit from full health to completely destroyed in a single strike is a rare achievement, but stacking Critical with Melee means Georg had an attack power of almost 50 on that hit.

Yuber remains one of the most powerful single units on the enemy side, so I have Luc -- specced to maximize raw attack power, as usual -- plink him with his wind magic from a safe distance.

Oh, and speaking of overwhelming magic power...

...Mazus is pretty awesome too.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:48 am

All the :words: to psych people up for this fight must have worked.

But not killed, so our 108 Stars tablet remains intact. For gameplay purposes it doesn't matter; we haven't used Hanna ever and we already have the reward for all 108 Stars, but why throw her life away now?

Yuber wiping out Viktor's unit left him open to Luc's retaliatory strike.

Shit, you guys.

Gijimu tries to jump into the fray, but doesn't have the raw "wipe out the target from full health" power that Georg provides.

So yeah, we hit them hard and fast. We're down one unit, they're out most of their mooks and a couple of their generals.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:54 am

I'm not impressed. My top-tier units have wiped out enough of the main force on the right side that I can spare a few of them to turn back and protect the flank. Mazus almost singlehandedly devestated the Matilda knights on our left side. Two more nameless infantry and one named Bow unit isn't going to turn the tide of this battle -- especially if I can get Georg down there to take on Culgan himself.

The last bow unit made the mistake of trying to shoot at Luc, and paid their price for it... so it's not like Georg and Lo Wen have anything better to do than cross the battlefield for Culgan anyway.

Anticipated what? Our swift and decisive victory through sheer martial and magical power?

Now that's how an ambush should work. They're already down and out, and new infantry appearing behind them is icing on the cake rather than a last-ditch effort to panic us.

So the enemy retreats. :shrug:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:01 am

That's right, our "reinforcements" were the castle's regular citizens, given spare uniforms and a few hastily-assembled spears. It's a good thing the Highland Army didn't look to closely or call Shu's bluff, because the casualties would have been heavy.

Shu: Lords Ridley, Hauser, and Teresa will assembled their armies and deploy immediately. When the enemy appears, I want you to do your best to lure them away from Rockaxe Castle.
Hauser: Yes sir.
Ridley: Hmm.
Shu: When the enemy takes the bait, Lord Muteiu will covertly lead a small army into Rockaxe Castle.
Viktor: What do you mean, 'covertly'?
Apple: During the last battle, some of the former Matilda Knights entered the castle posing as Gorudo's men. On our signal, they will open the gates to let you in.
Nanami: And then? And then?
Shu: Lord Muteiu will enter the castle, ascend to the top floor, and burn down the enemy flag and replace it with one of ours.
Flik: What's the point of burning down one flag?
Klaus: The Highland Army has over-extended themselves. They have taken the Knightdom by force, but their control over them is weak. They'll think the castle has fallen, and the knights will give up. The tide of the battle will then turn in our direction.
Viktor: If we fail...
Shu: Then Ridley, Hauser, and Teresa will have nowhere to run, and their armies will be slaughtered. The rest of the KISS Army will fall shortly thereafter.

There's no talking her out of this one, either.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:30 am

Name: Pico
Position: Special Forces
Note: None
  • He takes very good care of Annallee. It's a little different than how he 'takes care' of other girls.
  • He's broken a whole lot of hearts while he's been on the road with his traveling band. He doesn't mean to, it just happens that way.
Pico, Jude, Tessai, and Alberto can't join tactical parties, don't contribute to army battles, and their roles in the castle have already been explained. So this last character rundown is gonna be pretty brief.

---

Name: Jude
  • You can find plans on sale in town, on wandering monsters and in rare finds too.
  • I wonder what'll happen when he's done making that Guardian Deity. What the hell is it anyway?
  • Jude was researching who most often dealt the finishing blow in combat. Is he looking for a motif or something?

---

Name: Tessai
Position: Rearguard
  • I heard a rumor that there's an Iron Hammer in Forest Village...
  • If ya wanna get the Copper Hammer, you have to go to Gregminster.
  • From what I hear, the Silver Hammer is somewhere in Greenhill. There's a Golden Hammer somewhere too....

---

Name: Genshu
Position: Infantry
  • This guy would probably get along well with Shin. All he ever talks about is swords.
  • He used to be work for anyone who could pay him, but he got tired of that life....
  • You should see that guy's eyes when he's near the Star Dragon Sword. He's not normal I tell you, I tell ya. It's almost like he worships it.
For all the time you have to wait to get him, Genshu isn't as good at swording as, say, Georg or Pesmerga.
Genshu comes with his special Swallow Rune, which does regular damage to one enemy and has a chance to kill it instantly. Whether the enemy dies or not, Genshu is unbalanced from the effort.
As Richmond said, Genshu and Shin get along well enough to have a Unite: the Swordsman Attack does half their combined damage to all enemies and has a small chance to instantly slay any of them.

---

Name: Alberto
  • He used to be an apprentice for a barrel maker, but he quit for a life in music.
  • He thinks of Annallee more as a daughter than as a little sister. He looks at her just like he's her papa.

---

Name: Vincent de Boule
Position: Cavalry
Note: Former Scarlet Moon Empire nobleman.
  • He used to be a member of the Scarlet Moon Empire nobility, but he doesn't stand on ceremony too much these days. He's got a strong since of duty though.
  • I know he's friends with Simone, but even so, it seems like he's got an awful lot of 'dearest friends'.
  • He and Simone often take tea together in the flower garden. I swear those two are livin' in a world of their own making.
Vincent can join the party in this game, as a swordsman of average ability.
Vincent and Simone can unite, of course, in a rose-themed variation of the Buddy Attack called the Narcissist Attack. It does half their combined damage to all enemies, and if you happened to pick up a Rose Bouquet to equip on either of them, it may silence enemies too.

---

Name: Pesmerga
Position: Infantry Captain
  • I still don't know what this guy really is, but apparently no one in the castle has ever seen him either eating or sleeping.
  • He moves pretty damned quiet for a guy with all that armor, I tell ya. It's a little spooky.
  • I'm still not sure what kind of a creature he is. Some people say he's just a shadow from another existence.
Pesmerga is another ultimate swordsman type, with Strength that rivals Georg's. Georg has better Technique and Luck, but Pesmerga has better Magic Defense. Any competition between them is largely moot, since they're not mutually exclusive.
In army battles, Pesmerga gives his unit +3 attack and Cavalry.

---

Name: Mazus
Position: Magic Unit Captain
None: None
  • In Toran, he's got an arch-rival named Crowley who supposedly has over 100 runes embedded in his body.
  • A long time ago, Mazus and Crowley had a showdown on top of a mountain. They unleashed so much power between them that it rained for a whole week and the mountain was leveled.
  • Lately, the girls around here have been asking Mazus to make them love potions. Can you imagine a bad-eyed and loveless old goat like that making love potions?
Mazus is a dedicated super-mage, with all the magic stats, physical frailty, and rune affinities that implies. Mazus comes equipped with a Thunder rune and a Blue Gate rune, and neither of those can be removed. This third slot is customizable though.
In army battles, Mazus leads the army's second magic unit. His base attack is 9, his base defense is 6, and his Fire Magic skill has been well-demonstrated in the previous battle so you should know what that does.

---

Name: Mondo
  • People say he used to practice special attacks a lot with Kasumi.
  • Every morning, he wraps a long cloth around his waist and runs around in circles. Is that some kind of training?
  • He was planting some strange seeds in the courtyard and flying around. Is that some kinda training too?
It may not surprise you to learn that both ninja are high-Speed, high-Technique fighters.
Mondo flying around in Richmond's investigation is the result of his Mayfly rune. He can zip through the air to do his normal damage to an entire row of enemies, but doing so unbalances Mondo.
This is where I would write about a Unite attack with Kasumi... IF I HAD ONE.

---

Name: Sasuke
  • He used to be very close to Kasumi of Rokkaku, but he avoids her now. Well, that's how it is between men and women sometimes.
  • He says that he only came here cause he was ordered by Hanzo, but the truth is that he likes being out in the real world.
It may not surprise you to learn that both ninja are high-Speed, high-Technique fighters.
Futch, Luc, and Sasuke can Unite in the Pretty Boy attack, but they don't necessarily like to. They deal their combined melee damage to all enemies, and Luc deals a fifth of that to Futch and Sasuke. All three of them then become Unfriendly and can't participate in Unite attacks anymore.

---

McDohl
As a former Tenkai star, McDohl is above-average in every possible stat, with particular focus on Technique and Magic. McDohl carries the Soul Eater, which has an assortment of instant-death or heavy non-elemental damage spells. Unlike Sierra's Darkness rune, there's no damage output on a failed instant-death spell. He's not too bad with a Water rune, either.
If McDohl ever leaves the party, he goes back to Gregminster. Which is the case in this particular instance; he was automatically taken out for the story sequences. Oh well!
McDohl and Muteiu can Unite in the Double Leader attack, doing three-quarters of their combined damage to all enemies.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:14 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Futch, Luc, and Sasuke can Unite in the Pretty Boy attack, but they don't necessarily like to. They deal their combined melee damage to all enemies, and Luc deals a fifth of that to Futch and Sasuke. All three of them then become Unfriendly and can't participate in Unite attacks anymore.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm guessing Miklotov and Camus are too underleveled to go take back their house?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Underleveling isn't an issue, but when they first appeared in a poll they got so few votes that I took them out of subsequent polls.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:19 am

I'm getting the impression that the novelty has worn a bit thin, but this should be about the last vote I have to put up, so.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:57 pm

The voting ended up with four votes for Sierra and Vincent/Simone, and then a six way tie for the last slot.

So I went and got McDohl back in the party, as I expected I would in this exact scenario.

So, that's two sorta-useless fops, a really-centuries old vampire girl, and the possessor of a true rune that eats souls. I'd better make sure Muteiu can keep everyone healed up, since all the other magic we have is darkness and death.

Yeah, that oughta make sure everyone makes it back alive.

So we go to Rockaxe, in time to watch Culgan and Seed take the bait.

Yeah, yeah. What's the worst that could happen?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Shu: Read it.
Messenger: Y... Yes sir. After arriving at the fort, General Kiba engaged in combat with Leon Silverburg...

Messenger: ...During the battle, both Silverburg and General Kiba were mortally wounded...
Shu: I see...
Klaus: Father...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:05 pm

This dungeon is about as interesting as Moravia was in the last game, which is to say: empty corridors and twisting passages and way too goddamn many random encounters.

Wiping encounters is no problem with the power of FRIENDSHIP.

This is glossing over a lot, mind you. The keep entrance is only the halfway point of the dungeon.

Oh hey, that's nice. Now I don't have to come back and grind for this recipe. It's a random drop for the Genghis Khan recipe (Genghis Khan, in this case, being grilled mutton in what the Japanese understand to be a Mongolian style).

At the end of the dungeon, everyone decides to split up. :shrug:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Not so quiet we don't have to deal with random encounters.

Jowy: What are you looking for, Muteiu?

The screenshots really don't capture the extent of Nanami's well-animated freakout.

Nanami: Why, why must you and Jowy fight!!??
Jowy: Because it's fate... That's got to be the answer... Muteiu, ther eare many people who are counting on you... To the KISS Army, you represent hope itself... But I too... I too have people who need me. People who believe in me.
Nanami: No, no way! That's not true!!! I don't believe in destiny! And Genkaku didn't either!!! It's all just a load of crap!!! If that's... If that's the reason the KISS Army must fight Highland... If that's the reason why Muteiu and Jowy have to fight...
Jowy: This land... Our home... It's not big enough for both Highland and the City-State... That fact is what led to all this fighting, all this sadness. I began to realize the day of the State meeting in Jowstone. I saw the State, established so its members could co-exist in peace, was itself a maelstrom of discord, jealousy, and antagonism. I will establish one mighty nation in this land, one with nothing to do with Highland or the State. A single powerful nation, born of force and wielding force... That's the one and only way of freeing this land from war...
Muteiu: That's why... Why I fight...

Time for the final boss duel! Jowy and Muteiu, one on one!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Nanami cries an alarm, rushes forward, and readies her flail.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Pow! She whips a crossbow bolt right out of the air!

Pow! There goes another!

Pow! She's unstoppable!