Eat to level up! Let's Play Adventure Bar Story!

nosimpleway

Re: Eat to level up! Let's Play Adventure Bar Story!

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 21, 2015 3:34 pm

(Don't roll in sea urchins. They are very prickly and uncomfortable.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Trial on Fire Island reveals that monster drops include the following:
Sahaguins drop Sea Urchins 1 out of 6 times when killed with Fire, 0 out of 10 with Earth, 1 out of 7 killed with Wind, 1 out of 7 killed with Dark, 0 of 7 with Holy, and cannot be killed with Ice because they absorb it.
Mage Flowers have not dropped Sea Urchins during this data recording. So far I've killed two with fire, three with ice, and three with earth.
Stungus has dropped 0 of 3 Blackshrooms from Fire, 0 of 5 with Ice, and 2 of 8 with Earth, 0 of 4 with Dark, and 0 of 4 with Holy.

So frankly I'm not convinced the element of a finishing move has much to do with anything, just hit things with whatever they have the lowest defense against and finish them with Butcher. If you can't tell the precise game mechanic from random chance, who cares?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Everyone else has learned all or almost all of their skills from EP. No one left but Elias, which is kind of a shame. Elias specializes in ice and wind, and any dire vulnerabilities to those elements can be handled by Siela. She's not a dedicated caster, sure, but it takes a while before Elias gets enough area-effect spells to be significantly better than, say, Fred stabbing something in the face.

Even so, the vast majority of creatures in the game are weak to fire, not cold. And the only enemies that demand I cast spells at them thanks to their high physical defenses -- crabs and Sylphs -- are weak to fire and earth. That's Alfine's domain.

Anyway, Elias picks up both Blizzard and Avalanche, favorites of the Sahaguin and Water Fiends over on Fire Island, despite both of them doing the same thing: being ice-elemental spells that hit all enemies. He gets Blessed Attack, which I assume is based on his weapon rather than the innate elemental affinity. He picks up Absorb and Chaos Gate for my first Dark-elemental attack spells, and Tempest for area-effect Wind damage.

And then I put Alfine back in the party because she's just plain better everywhere but the desert.

Between those spell-training milestones, other events happen:

The Mandrake seeds give me a load of carrots and several Blackshrooms. So that's pretty cool, I'll have to go get more of those.

The queen is sick and nobody knows what to do about it.

Alfine still isn't sure how food works and is upset that she's gained weight by eating aloe parfaits.

The desert worm enemies carry habanero chiles I can swipe off of them... but there aren't any hint recipes for what I might do with that.

The side of the desert opposite the grand ruins is covered in an endless sandstorm.

Kamerina tries a simple recipe but screws it up so royally that Siela can't find anything good to say about it. Experimentation indicates this wasn't supposed to be a hint, since any combination I could come up with of different kinds of meat with potatoes, soy sauce, and salt cooked in any reasonable cooking vessel met with Failure. Unless you're supposed to put ground beef and potatoes in the fermenter, I think this is just supposed to illustrate that the restaurant would have gone belly-up by now if it weren't for Siela.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 21, 2015 6:09 pm

That's a nice reward, I'm sure!

...but as far as I can tell, it's only useful for this one thing. You can't make sushi or carpaccio out of it, and by that time I was too averse to losing the rest to failed experiments to try making chowder or bouillabaisse or anything.

The pretty lady comes in with some other man, and Alter is furious that Siela is still shipping him with her.

extreme salesof

We catch Gustav conspiring with another chef to take Siela down a peg in the royal cooking contests, but instead of confronting him about it, Siela just... lets it go. It's probably not important.

Elias, despite being a far better caster now than he was this time three days ago, has slipped to tenth-in-class.

I break $100,000 in sales in one day.

Gustav's plot is set in motion. All the spices are gone! Everyone's sold out of black pepper, yellow spice/turmeric, red spice/chile powder, and green spice/wasabi. But now that I'm making money off of recipes that don't always call for black pepper, I've managed to build up a back stock. I can make sushi without green spice. And I almost never use yellow or red spices for anything. So... that was his master plan? He'd be better off cutting the tongues out of wild bulls and digging up all the truffles for himself.

Alfine tops off her spell list with the mega-useful Cure All, but given all the other stuff she can do, it's not a mainstay for her like it is Siela.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 21, 2015 6:10 pm

nosimpleway Romo do you have any insight on Esperath's idea of elemental finishers determining random drops?
nosimpleway As soon as I quit fucking around with it I've gotten half a dozen Sea Urchins and a couple Blackshrooms, so
Romosome R2, I believe it's more related to Overkills.
Romosome Fred says something about that.
Romosome Based on my strategy of overleveling via food and then doing dungeons when I can oneshot everything reliably
nosimpleway Fire Island seems to have better drops than anywhere else, but damned if I can get enough of the ingredients here to powerlevel through it.
Romosome So overkill affects drop rate, I'm positive that it increases your standard item yield, and I think it gives you a better chance at the rare drop.
nosimpleway That explains why I've gotten more Sea Urchins just saying "fuck it" and having Fred Charge Lance everything with Brionac. 400-600 damage on these 200 HP critters results in Sea Urchins.
Romosome yeah there you go then
Romosome it's overkills

BUT THEN I became pretty sure that oneshotting things is more important than how much damage you do past bringing them to 0 HP. Siela softening things up with Sword Dance before Alfine or Fred finished them off seemed to decrease, not increase, the drops I got.

So I'm pretty sure the important thing in getting rares to drop is killing the thing that drops it in one hit, regardless of how you do it.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu May 21, 2015 6:12 pm

hm. will try.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu May 21, 2015 6:24 pm

was probably getting more drops with holy because I was one-shotting everything with alfine's holy ray, and same with land spear.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri May 22, 2015 1:16 am

I... want to say that a recipe calling for both soy sauce and salt is meant to be a joke, but if the trained chef is taking it seriously for something then he probably knows something I don't. Which I assume is "This game has some stupid recipes."

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 22, 2015 2:00 am

Yes, that.

Salt in these recipes will always throw me, simply because it might go in anything that might reasonably call for seasoning... which IRL is everything. Like, I get weird looks for occasionally putting a dash of salt in my coffee, but if the coffee's really acidic and bitter then salt helps cut that. Underripe fruit? Makes 'em less sour. Sugary pastries? Makes them sweeter. I can't think of anything a little salt doesn't improve.

But ingame, it doesn't go in everything, and there's no pattern to what it does or doesn't work with. You need salt to cure bacon or dry herrings, sure, that makes sense. But every salad calls for salt, too, just for seasoning. You need salt for regular riceballs, but not specialty riceballs or sushi rice. It goes in some scrambled eggs but not others. There's just no damn telling.

So when the game suggested that a recipe might call for soy sauce and salt at the same time, I just shrugged and rolled with it.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri May 22, 2015 2:04 am

anyway, seems like the overkill theory is yielding better results for me.

also, it's sort of sad that the best steal farming on fire island is in that single goddamn confined room. :|
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

François

Postby François » Fri May 22, 2015 3:20 am

nosimpleway wrote:I can't think of anything a little salt doesn't improve.

Every once in a while I'll very lightly salt ice cream. Tried it once because I was curious but it was strangely compelling.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri May 22, 2015 3:29 am

The last fishing spot on Fire Island drops King Crab. Suddenly, Deluxe Pizza (which is worth 9160 in the 3DS version)

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri May 22, 2015 5:31 am

nosimpleway wrote:So when the game suggested that a recipe might call for soy sauce and salt at the same time, I just shrugged and rolled with it.

In my experience, Japanese (i.e. Tokyo) comfort fast food is salty relative to what's served in the US. Of course, I did recently burn my tongue on over-salted fried potatoes recently, so maybe there were other factors at play when I formed that opinion.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 22, 2015 9:53 am

Esperath pointed this out, but a fishing spot on Fire Island is a lot better overall than the one I've been using. King Crab sells for more than Platinum Tuna, and if you get ambushed by monsters, there's only one Water Fiend here instead of three.

I don't think I have a crab nigiri recipe, so I didn't even try that. Not when I can make...

Deluxe Pizzas. When Misto Soup got added to the menu, it was far and away the most expensive thing I could make, by a margin of a couple thousand gold. Deluxe Pizza outsells it. I can farm for both of its crucial components on Fire Island -- fishing for King Crab and killing Stungus for Blackshrooms. Hell yeah.

Kamerina gets another suitor, this one bringing a floral bouquet and begging her to cook for him. When he learns that Siela is the cook, he gets disappointed and leaves. But... what do we do with the flowers, then?

:$_$:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 am

I swing by Lar to pick up some more Nori, and find that the shop here now sells Sea Urchin and Platinum Tuna. And that's good, because going to Lar means I can't go to Fire Island today despite that Lar is actually on the way. :shrug:

The lighthouse worker dreams of eating at this wonderful new restaurant in Cassel... it's called Kamerina's Bar, have you heard of it?

It's pretty obvious to everyone that the shortage of pepper and seasonings is Gustav's doing, but no one knows how to circumvent it.

Lidia has the solution: head to the little desert village where they all come from and get them direct from the wholesalers.

Two menu items, more than $100,000 in sales. Deluxe Pizza is awesome. (And when the customers get sick of it, I'll eat it myself for quick experience levels.)

Fred gives news about Cassel Garden spies looking for dirt on Kamerina's Bar. Siela asks what the big damn deal is about the location they're in, and Fred answers: they rebuilt the castle recently, and its new location down the street from Kamerina's makes it the perfect location for a busy eatery.

They rebuilt the castle. Just decided to move, and built a new one. Is the old one still around? What happened to it? Or did they literally move the castle, brick by brick, to a new place? Medieval cities with castles tended to be built around them; the idea of moving one is about as silly as a modern metropolis going "Eh, I don't like where all the interstate highways are, we're going to reroute all of them to go here and here instead."

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 22, 2015 10:06 am

I was all prepped for another journey through the desert, but once you go there with Lidia in the party, you're automatically taken to a Guid place.

Guid is even tinier than Ostenlien, with about a half-dozen people total and only one shop, an open-air stall.

And the first person you meet may well be the angry housewife who found her husband brought home a bunny suit and gives it to you (with the promise that it's clean and never worn... probably). It's... actually better armor than what Siela had been wearing.

You can see a treasure chest outside the city wall on the way in, and there's a guy hiding in the top-left corner too. So clearly there's some way through the wall.

Look for the visual discrepancy, in this case a pile of gravel. Or take the easy way: go to the Options menu, change your control scheme from the onscreen keypad to "click a location to walk to it", and let the AI pathfinding figure out how to navigate the secret passage.

It's angry housewife's husband!

He gives you the hat to match the suit. So Siela is carrying a tray that bunnies use and a hat-and-clothes combo to make her look like a rabbit. There doesn't seem to be any set bonus to all this stuff, though.

There are only two books on Desert Cuisine, and each has two recipes inside, and one of those two recipes from each book is something I already have -- Cactus Steak and Tequila. What a bust.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 22, 2015 10:14 am

There's no seasonings to be had even in Guid. Did Gustav somehow manage to reach this far?

No, the wind spirit named Almer Baron is angry, so there's a sandstorm in the desert keeping people from harvesting anything. I guess that's why the village is so small, they have to forage for wild stuff instead of maintaining a plantation for this sort of thing. But then, both peppers and chiles are tropical plants, not desert plants, so they're all misplaced anyway, whatever.

Well hell, I know how to make cactus alcohol, we'll buy up some limes and salt and have a damn party. It's a shame the recipes in this game are so Japan-centric, or I'd make fish tacos and chicken mole and some beans and rice.

One of the two recipes from Desert Cuisine is simply curry with ground chicken. Did you know tequila and curries come from the same place? It's ostensibly true! (Pepper trees are native to India, and chiles native to Central and South America, so the people in Arab- and Persian-style dress in the middle of the desert makes for a damn strange mashup.)

The other is Jerky. I... probably should have thought to try that myself.

I assume, given its placement on the menu, that it's spicy fried chicken.

Anyway let's get this party started wooooooooo

I have no idea how much Almer Baron might want, so I'm overstocked.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 22, 2015 10:18 am

That's often how people who consume thirty barrels of tequila feel, yes.

The oasis in the desert offers Golden Fish as its rare find. Monster encounters are two Water Fiends, one Fire Island Sahaguin, and three Otts Lake Nymphs. Water Fiends only have one drop, and I've battled dozens of them without them forking it over. It must be pretty good.

"Wait! We brought booze!"

Works every time.

It doesn't move or say anything, but Elias demands it kneel to his awesome power and Lidia boasts she'll show it how to fight in a desert. So... we're gonna kill it? I guess?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 22, 2015 10:23 am

Of course we are. Elias's Apocalypse does a solid 200 or so damage, with Siela's Over Kill doing about 200 more. Almer Baron attacks with Wind and Fire spells, of course, and has a fondness for using Silence. Lidia is really out of place here since her damage output is so pitiful, so I tried a couple of things I don't normally. Bosses remain immune to poison, blindness, or silence, but I got to clear some of those bombs out of my inventory.

It was healed by a Spike Bomb. Almer Baron absorbs chestnut-elemental attacks.

Lidia does swipe a new bow off the guy before giving up and keeping Siela and Elias healed and mana'd up with potions.

The reward is... another animal cap.

And an accessory to improve the crit rate of whoever wears it.

After all that, we didn't even give Almer Baron any liquor. But that's okay, whatever doesn't sell today, Siela drinks before I go back to Guid. You can't drink all day, unless you start in the mornin'.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 22, 2015 10:29 am

It helps you lose weight, too! Oh boy!

Well, so we're told.

We deliver it to Alfine, who thinks it doesn't taste like much, but who knows, maybe her life's goal is finally met. Rose Cake reduces Satiety by 20, so it certainly does something, but you don't lose weight by making sure there's always enough room in your gullet for another bite.

Kamerina had a dream about eating something wonderful. It was like beef steak, but vegetarian! And served cold! But no, not tofu.

The goal of the day was Rose Cake, so I didn't get any more pizza ingredients or anything. My cup runneth over with Cacao and Desert Stars, though, so I decided to go with as many pastries as I could to see if any of them combo with one another. Alas, it was only the tea that achieved this goal.