Eat to level up! Let's Play Adventure Bar Story!

nosimpleway

Re: Eat to level up! Let's Play Adventure Bar Story!

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 29, 2015 10:17 am

Ah, my old nemesis. You have taunted me with your presence from day one-- well, day, like... six. Whatever. Your life ends here! Sic semper tyrannis!

Inside is a chest. It's empty.

Not just a rat, two rats. And not just any rats! RatKing and RatQueen! Are you scared?

Anyway, hiding behind a rock with a trapped chest is how they lure people in to eat them. That's... I don't even know, man.

*long, weary sigh*

RatKing likes Spark (electric damage to a row, adds Paralysis), Volcano (crazy fire damage to a row), and Absorb (drains HP from one target). RatQueen uses Weaken (all stats down) and Curse (Poison/Blind/Silence to a target). They're tougher than the last boss, of course.

RatQueen has this, a nicer rod than the Philosophers I found before.

And RatKing carries what I suspect is Lidia's best armor.

It takes a long time to take down the RatQueen, considering that she's hit everyone with Weaken and there's nothing I can do about that. But now the only status ailment I have to stop fighting to cure is the occasional Paralysis proc from Spark, so the rest of the battle goes smoothly.

Of course, "goes smoothly" is a polite way of saying "drags on for way too damn long". What is this, FF6 Brave New World?

My reward is two hunks of cheese and two accessories I already have and don't use.

Postgame content, everybody.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri May 29, 2015 11:49 am

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri May 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Well, at least it had the ambition to overshoot its budget. At least there is some evidence that someone on the team cared and wanted to make a game of impressive scope.

EDIT:
It is about the least amount of evidence I could possibly accept though.

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri May 29, 2015 6:35 pm

So what are you gonna play next?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 30, 2015 12:12 am

I'm gonna play... more Adventure Bar Story. Sorry to have implied that that was all the postgame content. There's more, for certain values of "more".

Well, not so much "magical" as "tedious". And no so much "land" as "squalorous cave". You're spot-on about the rats though. There are definitely rats.

Er, were definitely rats.

+50 to resist damage from fire, cold, earth, wind, holy, and dark. Not bad. Cassel Star, by the by, is a flat +10 to all stats.

Wow! Not like you see a waterfall in a video game and immediately assume there's something behind it!

New place for King Crab, that's not so b--

Nah to hell with that, I'm not fishing here again.

Aww, it's so cute! Have you ever seen such a calm and peaceful beast?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 30, 2015 12:17 am

Ottsie uses physical attacks and Water Gun. Siela is equipped with Excalibur, which does cold-elemental damage, which Ottsie absorbs. So Siela was on healing and buffing duty for this fight, with Fred trying to steal Ottsie's Megin Gjord before using Flame Rage and Burst Edge. Alfine cast Hellfire a lot.

Eventually Siela had nothing better to do than throw Spike Bombs. Turns out if the enemy uses mostly regular attacks, and you have both Defense boost and Evade boost, you don't need to heal very often!

Meh.

Ottsie escapes.

It turns out the little lagoon behind the stone on Fire Island? It's really nothing but a single fishing spot. It's not even a good fishing spot. However!

In anticipation of fighting cold-absorbing water monsters from the fishing lagoon, I swap out Excalibur for the Carrot Sword (which hits water enemies' weakness, being fire-elemental). I then realize that the carrot sword would make an excellent match with the other rabbit-themed stuff I've got, right?

There's no set bonus as far as I can tell, but Siela wears a rabbit costume in battle. Aww!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 30, 2015 12:19 am

Oh yeah, Gustav's behind bars for... well, whatever he was arrested for. Cassel Garden is no more.

Ottsie's still out there, somewhere.

Not in the cavern behind the waterfall, mind you, but somewhere.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 30, 2015 12:24 am

Oh yeah, let's wrap this up. You start with five gems, and I never spent any.

But to hell with guessing out the last recipes. I wouldn't have guessed "flour" as an ingredient in what the game insists is a saute.

Again, tofu would not have been my first guess.

Only one recipe remains, according to the Secret Catalog, and the game refuses to give me even the slightest hint what it might be. It's in the middle of the stews portion of the recipe list, so it could be anything.

I've found all the ingredients, so it's not like I'm going to suddenly stumble onto some okra and some Andouille sausage and discover it's secretly a gumbo recipe.

Sure, why wouldn't they?

One of the two remaining map locations is unlocked. There isn't even any land there! It's just a particular spot on the ocean!

Naturally, there's an extra boss fight to be had at the new location. Island Whale is about the same as Ottsie, but easier and quicker because Siela can use the Carrot Sword for fire-elemental Flame-Rage-boosted Over Kills.

Fred steals a Caduceus, better than the Devil Rod I stole from QueenRat.

Gungnir is not better than the Dragon Slayer sword I got from the plot-final boss.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 30, 2015 12:27 am

I was not surprised that the very first thing I pulled from the ocean at Whale Bay was an extra boss monster. I was not surprised that the very next thing I pulled from the ocean at Whale Bay was a monster encounter.

Blue Dragons have just enough HP that they don't die instantly to Carrot Sword Dance. That means I can Butcher them instead for their tasty flesh, eggs, and tungs.

I can pull King Crabs, Golden Fish, and Platinum Tuna from the water, and the dragons that attack give me Dragon Eggs and Dragon Tung. All in all it's about what you'd expect from a postgame-only ingredient-grinding spot.

There's another map location to reach, and a wounded, crazy Ottsie is on the loose somewhere, but damned if I know what to do next.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Guess I'll go map-by-map looking for anything that's amiss. Brusso's got nothin', Nus I checked to fight the RatRoyalty, and Otts Cave...

There's a non-cave bit beyond some collapsed rocks.

Inside the ruin is a sword in a stone.

That's what she said.

Uh... well, it is.

It's a boss fight, of course, and a kinda-sorta hard one. The Shadow hits pretty hard with dark-elemental attacks, which is pretty obvious if you know the creature's name, but I didn't before the fight started.

I steal an Odin's Wand from it. There sure are a lot of magic staves in postgame.

The reward is the Catastrophe, which judging from its IRL-money cost at Fred's is probably the best sword in the game.

I think you mean "click", the sound of another passage opening, rather than the noise a chicken makes.

Inside this deeper passage is the puzzle box what's-his-name from the well was looking for.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Elsewhere in the cave is a familiar face.

Mad Ottsie is pretty much Ottsie, but more. Water Gun is now its weakest attack, rather than its strongest, and a Bite is enough to put even Siela reeling. So I use Defense and Evade boosts because they're a good idea, rather than just to fill Siela's time.

I steal a Sacred Duster from Mad Ottsie, one of those little sticks with a talisman chain or two on them that miko use for cleansing rituals. I forget the Japanese name for them. Anyway, it's a wand with a higher Strength boost than Int boost, so what's the point? If Alfine or Elias ever use the fight command something's gone terribly wrong somewhere.

Ragnarok is described as "Two hander aka 'Fate of the Gods'", so this is the Ragbearok. It probably matches the Bear Suit and Bear Hat for another costume set, but I don't think I have the right shield.

Moguani is happy to see the golden puzzle box, but I think there's a plot element to get him to solve it. Several days have gone by while I look for other secrets in other areas, and I checked in each day, and he's stumped.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sun May 31, 2015 3:04 am

Give him some brain food?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 31, 2015 8:35 pm

Remember when there was a cooking aspect to the game? It seems like so long ago.

One's a Flame Rage-esque attack boost the whole party can share. The other is described as the ultimate healing magic, but I'm not sure exactly how it achieves that description. I assume it's either "partywide full cure", "revive+full cure", or "partywide cure and removal of status ailments".

Unless "go and grind dragon parts" is a plot element, no plot element is required for Moguani to solve the puzzle. He just takes a while.

Inside the box is a map, pointing to a mysterious location west of Silkreef. Or what would be mysterious, if it weren't the only locked location left on the map.

The name of the dungeon is "???".

So, couple of things. First, the monsters here fill out the Secret Catalog monster entries rather nicely. Secondly, equipping Bearok, Bear Suit, and Bear Hat does in fact make Siela a teddy bear. Bearok, being a two-handed sword, precludes the use or existence of a bear-themed shield.

The array of elemental fiends behave exactly as you'd expect, and each drops its assocaited elemental ring. I mean, I assume that's the case, I've gotten a Fire Ring and a Dark Ring from fighting them.

But they don't drop ingredients and I don't need EP anymore, so mostly I run from them.

I fed someone a Misto Plant so I wouldn't miss any hidden passages. I just sort of assumed there'd be a lot of them in the final dungeon, you know? Looking for them manually would have been a real pain, so I'm glad I did that.

There aren't a lot of them, and the ones I found aren't actually that rewarding. I stole a better axe than the one I found in this passage, and there's a bow somewhere else, but I don't keep a bow-user in the party as a general rule.

Evil Lord Stepp is... a block of stone with a face. He carries a Wizard Ring, which I assume is a Intelligence- and Mental-boosting accessory, but, uh

His attacks are things like "Null Pointer" and "Error", which causes a fake bluescreen as a visual effect. This is after one casting of Error.

Oh boy, I get to grind everyone up to maximum level and try again. Whee.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:27 am

All right, level 99 for Siela, Fred, and Alfine. Alter's up to 85 in case this doesn't work.

The graphics glitches begin! Error is major partywide damage -- around 500 HP worth -- and poison status. Null Pointer tries to instant-kill, I think, but I'm not sure because it doesn't ever work. Memory Leak damages MP rather than HP and tries to Silence. Dark Impulse hits everyone and removes any status buffs, so I quit trying to maintain Flame Rage or anything on anyone and just hit the guy.

The least bad thing he can do is his regular attack, which Siela and Alfine often block thanks to their top-tier shields. Fred takes about 250 damage from the hit, which is manageable.

Stepp is slightly weaker to Wind than Fire, so Fred relies on Air Slash rather than Burst Edge. He takes more damage from Holy Ray than Land Spear, but I think Land Spear has lower attack power and Alfine is generally using Cure All anyway.

He doesn't get a Secret Catalog entry when you beat him, hence the speculation about his elemental weaknesses. And yeah, there's no reward. I'm at level 99 so I don't need ingredients anymore, he's the toughest fight in the game so I don't need equipment anymore... what could they possibly give me?

Oh sweet Christ why

Why would I possibly want that

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:29 am

Oh, and that last niggling recipe? I looked it up online.

Earlygame stuff. Nothing I couldn't have purchased from Fred on Day 1, with EXP and gold yields to match.

So that's that.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:23 am

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:28 pm

They cut out the tedious RPG grinding and made a note robust cooking system, but that still doesn't look like it's any fun.

Guess I'll have to get it sooner or later to document this hypothesis.