Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

nosimpleway

Re: Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:58 pm

Music: Bergentruckung

(Twilight is shining through the barrier.)

(It seems your journey is finally over.)

You're filled with DETERMINATION.)

Image: Human... It was nice to meet you. Goodbye.

And with this...

Asgore whips out his oversized trident...

And smashes the Mercy option out of my menu entirely.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Music: ASGORE

There's no talking to Asgore. What more can be said? You have to kill him to leave the underground, he has to kill you so everyone can leave the underground. There's no negotiating your way out of this one, and even if you could convince him, there's no way to Mercy him with that menu option gone.

But Toriel's lessons stick with me. I don't want to beat up the guy until he's at critical, and dammit, there's got to be SOME way to spare him.

Asgore has a couple of nasty moves. A lot of his attacks are like Toriel's, but pumped up to 11, with extra flames all over the place. He also has an attack where his eyes flash blue or orange, indicating how he's going to swing his spear. The spear covers the whole box in an instant, so you have to remember to stay still when he swings it blue, and move a little when it's orange to avoid damage.

He also has some plain ol' regular bullet-hell spread attacks, too.

Like Undyne before, I can't figure out how to not kill they guy, and with Sans going all judgey on me, I'm not about to repeat the mistake I made with Toriel. But eventually I run out of healing items...

So... that's... good for monsters everywhere... right? Everyone gets what they wanted.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:36 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Music: Bergentruckung

Note: Bergentrückung is German (obvs), and means King In The Mountain.

For me, at least, this was one of the most impactful moments in the game. It's not just that he tells you it's you or him, he attacks the interface itself to do it. This game has a lot of interface manipulation in it, but this one was just ... chilling.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:27 pm

It's a lot more fun to read or talk about Undertale than to actually play it, I've found.

I'm at the same point in my play and I think I could bash my way through Asgore with enough time. Not sure if I care enough to do another playthrough, though.

Healy

Postby Healy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:02 am

Hey, nosimpleway, I posted a short write-up of your LP on my blog. That's gotta bring in, like, five more people to this thread! (Also I am unreasonably proud of that subtitle.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:20 am

My only real problem with it is that it advertises as a blind playthrough, but this seems to only be true for the first dungeon or so.

It was blind going in, but it's taken so long to get the Let's Play up that eventual spoilers were inevitable. I played through the entirety of the game up until... well, up until about where we are now in the LP, really... in one sitting. I finished my second playthrough around the time I was posting Mettaton's appearance, which helped to contextualize a few things I hadn't realized were important the first time through. so I made sure to include those.

But most of the commentary up to this point is what I was thinking as I played through the game blind.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:00 pm

So, uh... let's take a little break. Maybe I missed something important somewhere.

Wolf guy's still throwing chunks of ice into the river. I never did find out where those are going.

I assume it's after Sans's judgement, but there are no more random encounters. The monsters who normally attack me are standing around with stuff to say instead.

I've gotten no hints on how to open this door.

But this weird thing, it turns out, just needs an umbrella. It starts a tinkly little music-box melody.

Solution to this puzzle:
1) place umbrella in statue
2) listen to music box
3) return to piano
4) attempt to recite music box tune
5) revisit statue
6) okay got it this time
7) no that doesn't sound right at all
8) yeah that's super off-key, I guess it's too much to ask that a piano sitting in a damp cave be tuned properly
9) look up answer on the internet
10) play piano, open secret door

Easy!

Oh, that'll help. Uh, probably. I mean, it's an old monster artifact, it's got to be magical, right? Let's get it!

I'm what now?

There's an Annoying Dog in my inventory! Shoo!

I don't get the artifact, but I do get a lump of Dog Residue.

Using the residue fills my inventory with... more residue. And occasionally a Dog Salad.

Dog residue is variously described as a web spun by a dog to snare prey, dirty dishes left behind by a dog, a glowing crystal secreted by a dog, or a dog-shaped carapace husk. Dog Salads restore a semirandom number of HP -- Hit Poodles.

Dog Residue is infinitely self-replicating, allowing a farmable source of gold from the Tem Shop.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:11 pm

By selling Dog Residue to the Tem Shop, then replicating the last Dog Residue, then selling more, I eventually accumulate enough gold from Temmie to... give right back and send Temmie to cool leg.

Temmie slides off to colleg but forgets to take her face with her.

It's pricey, but apparently makes the game too easy. There's a "skolarships" where the armor gets cheaper each time you die.

So... if I can't beat Asgore in another couple tries, there's the solution.

Image: It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

I don't... think anyone does...?

Alphys is away somewhere.

I didn't realize the item this door needs is a Hot Dog...? until after I tried giving it a Dog Salad.

ooh, ominous.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Selling Temmie even more Dog Residue lets me afford this mysterious key that Bratty and Catty found.

There are only a couple of locked doors in the game.

But the Mystery Key is to the one next door to Napstablook's house.

Inside are lots of books. Or CD cases.

Leftmost: Dear Diary: Shyren's sister "fell down" recently. It's sad. Without her sister to speak for her... She's become more reclusive than ever. So I reached out to her, and told her... That she, Blooky, and I should all perform together sometime. She seemed to like that idea.

Second from left: Dearer Diary: I like to buy a new diary for every entry I make. I love to collect diaries.

Left of center: Dearest Diary: Our cousin left the farm to become a training dummy. That leaves just Blooky and I. Blooky asked me if I was going to try to become corporeal, too. They sounded so... Resigned... Come on, Blooky. You know I'd never leave you behind. And besides... I'd never find the kind of body I'm looking for, anyway.

Right of center: My Darling Diary: I met someone... Interesting today. Last week I posted that advertisement for my Human Fanclub. Today was our first meeting. Only one other person came. Honestly, she's a dork. And she's obsessed with these awful cartoons. But she's kind of funny, too.... I want to see her again.

Second from right: Diary... My dear: My diary collection is going fabulously. I have like five now.

Rightmost: Dear Diary: She surprised me with something today. Sketches of a body that she wants to create for me... A form beyond my wildest fantasies. In a form like that, I could finally feel like... "myself".

...a perfect rectangle?

Rightmost, continued: After all, there's no way I can be a star the way I am now. Sorry, Blooky. My dreams can't wait anymore...

Sheesh, no wonder Napstablook is so glum all the time. And judging from the call at the end of Mettaton's show, Blooky doesn't seem to recognize Mettaton for his... family? Neighbor? Friend? Whatever they were.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Okay, let's try this again.

This gets a sad nod, but no mercy. Mercy isn't an option for anyone.

I have a pretty good stock of healing items after all that Dog Residue farming.

I also remembered to grab the slice of Butterscotch Pie from back at the very beginning of the game. My HP never got very high, but there's no better time than now to use up what's basically an Elixir.

Of course, I didn't realize when I decided to save the Pie for later that the last boss would be nostalgic for exactly that.

Remember the harsh lesson about beating foes into submission that Toriel taught? Well, forget it. You can't win unless you drop Asgore to critical HP.

Image: Ah... ... So that is how it is. I remember the day after my son died. The entire underground was devoid of hope. The future had once again been taken from us by the humans. In a fit of anger, I declared war. I said that I would destroy any human that came here. I would use their souls to become godlike... ...and free us from this terrible prison. Then, I would destroy humanity... And let monsters rule the surface, in peace. Soon, the people's hopes returned. My wife, however, became disgusted with my actions. She left this place, never to be seen again.

Um. About that.

Image: Truthfully... I do not want power. I do not want to hurt anyone. I just wanted everyone to have hope... But... I cannot take this any longer. I just want to see my wife. I just want to see my child.

:(

Image: Please... Young one... This war has gone on long enough. You have the power... Take my soul, and leave this cursed place.

Honestly, I'm not even sure I can. Isn't it the case that a human can't take a monster soul? If I can't get through the barrier on my own, I'm not going to kill someone else just for a long shot at it.

Image: After everything I have done to hurt you... You would rather stay down here and suffer... Than live happily on the surface? ... Human... I promise you... For as long as you remain here... My wife and I will take care of you as best we can.

Okay but yes about your wife really this is important

Image: We can sit in the living room, telling stories... Eating butterscotch pie... We could be like... Like a family...

A circle of friendliness pellets bullets appears, and closes in on Asgore.

The final bullet...

Shatters his SOUL.

We all know who that is, right?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:41 pm

And Flowey's screeching, terrible laughter...

Crashes the game.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:30 pm

Wait... that's not...

We've gone full meta.

There's nothing here but a single save point.

Image: It's me, FLOWEY. FLOWEY the FLOWER! I owe you a HUGE thanks. You really did a number on that old fool. Without you, I NEVER could have gotten past him.

Image: But now, with YOUR help...

Image: He's DEAD.

Image: And I'VE got the human SOULS!

Image: Boy! I've been empty for so long...

Image: Mmmm, I can feel them wriggling...

Image: Awww, you're feeling left out, aren't you? Well, that's just perfect. After all, I only have six souls. I still need one more...

Image: Before I become GOD.

Image: And then, with my newfound powers...

Image: Monsters.

Image: Humans.

Image: Everyone.

Image: I'll show them all the REAL meaning of this world.

Image: Oh, and forget about escaping to your old SAVE FILE.

Image: It's gone FOREVER.

Image: [i]But don't worry. Your old friend FLOWEY... Has worked out a replacement for you!

Image: I'll SAVE over your own death.

Image: So you can watch me tear you to bloody pieces...

Image: Over, and over, and over...

Image: ...what? Do you really think you can stop ME?

Image: Hee hee hee... You really ARE an idiot.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:34 pm

The human SOULs swirl around a bit...

And a massive shadow looms from the top of the screen.

That's... definitely...

Ah?

Ah!

...Aaah!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA my attack only does one damage what is this horseshit AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:34 pm

touhowned
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

François

Postby François » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Iesus Cristo that is some nightmare fuel right there. I can't say there's any single element that's individually terrifying, but all put together, man.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:13 am

Wait'll you see it move.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:16 am

Upon booting the game up again, you're not given a title screen or file load or anything. It jumps straight back into the boss fight:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:38 am

Flowey is defeated. The six human souls having turned on him, he's left a powerless little flower bud once more.

I could finish him off, but what are the odds of that actually working? The Mercy button is looking good as new after Asgore broke it...

Image: ...

Mercy.

Image: What are you doing?

Mercy.

Image: Do you really think I've learned anything from this?

You might from this. Mercy.

Image: No. Sparing me won't change anything.

Mercy.

Image: Killing me is the only way to end this.

Your whole philosophy is "Kill or be killed". And I'm proving you wrong. Mercy.

Image: If you let me live...

Mercy.

Image: I'll come back.

Mercy.

Image: I'll kill you.

Doubt it. You just gave it your best shot, in your biggest, superpowered form. I don't think you can. Mercy.

Image: I'll kill everyone.

I'll call your bluff. Mercy.

Image: I'll kill everyone you love.

Alphys is my favorite person ever. Mercy.

Image: ...

Mercy.

Image: ...?

Mercy.

Image: ... why?

Because it's important. Mercy.

Image: Why are you being...

Image: ...so nice to me?

Mercy.

Image: I can't understand.

Well, you apparently don't have a soul at all. So this might be difficult. Mercy.

Image: I can't understand!

Give it your best, little flower.

Image: I just can't understand...

* Flowey ran away.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:00 am

The far side of the barrier looks a lot like the pit at the bottom of the mountain where I started the game.

Yeah, that's good bookending, right there.

Roll credits. Look at all the stuff Temmie did after she went to cool leg!

(Yeah, Temmie is a self-insert character by the art director. Whaddyagonnado?)

Image: heya. is anyone there...? well... just calling to say. you made a snowman really happy.

Remember that guy, back in Snowdin? I stashed my Snowman Piece in one of the dimensional boxes, but got it back out after Asgore killed me and I did my clean-up tour of the underground. I kept it with me through the fight with Asgore where I won, and the battle with Flowey. So hooray for that, a snowman is happy.

Image: ... guess i should say something else, too. since you left, things down here... are different. with ASGORE gone... undyne became ruler of the underground. she's decided to destroy every human that comes here. and since the human souls disappeared... she's also looking for a new way to break the barrier... and when she does, she's going to wage war on humanity. i mean, that was asgore's plan, too. but he was really, uh, bad at it.

Image: undyne has also expanded the royal guard massively. she says the first thing she'll do after we get out of here... is take her army... and personally hunt you down and destroy you.

Image: i've been knocking on the door to the RUINS... but that woman hasn't been answering me... maybe she's not feeling well?

:(

Image: HEY, SANS, WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO?

Image: oh, just the human.

Image: OH, COOL.

Image: WAIT, DID YOU SAY THE HUMAN? CAN I TALK TO THEM?

Image: sure, knock yourself out.

Image: HEY!!! UNDYNE'S THE EMPRESS NOW!! IT'S AMAZING!!! AND SHE APPOINTED ME TO BE... THE MOST IMPORTANT ROYAL POSITION!!!

Image: ...THAT'S IT. THAT'S LITERALLY THE TITLE.

Image: WHAT DO I DO? SHE TOLD ME TO, UM... STAND AROUND AND LOOK CUTE. WELL!!! THAT'S THE PERFECT JOB FOR ME!!! I DO THAT ALL THE TIME, WITHOUT TRYING!! FINALLY!! I'M IMPORTANT. AND IT'S ALL THANKS TO YOU, AND THE HORRIBLE THINGS YOU DID. THANK YOU, HUMAN! COME BACK AND VISIT SOMETIME!!

Image: WAIT... UNDYNE WOULD PROBABLY KILL YOU.

Image: BUT... YOU'D GET TO SEE ME. SO YOU GOTTA RISK IT!!! YOU GOTTA!!! SEE YOU SOON.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:07 am

Image: Since you defeated me. I've been thinking. Is killing things really necessary?

Image: I... I honestly don't know anymore. I have a request for you.

Image: Prove to me... Prove to me you are strong enough to survive. Get here from the beginning. Without killing a single thing... ...and I won't kill the king.

Sure. I believe you.

Image: Then you'll have your so-called "happy ending". So, what will it be? Will you prove yourself?

Image: Or will I get to watch you suffer...? Either way, I'm interested!

Image: Hee hee hee...

I trust Flowey about as far as I can throw him (and he's rooted in the ground). But we'll see whatever it is he's plotting... on my next playthrough. Stay tuned!