Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

nosimpleway

Re: Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Music: back to Waterfall

Monster Kid, who never gets a portrait: That... ...was AWESOME! I'm SOOOO jealous! What'd you do to get her attention...? Ha ha. C'mon! Let's go watch her beat up some bad guys!

It's hard to keep your balance without arms, and Monster Kid faceplants on the way out.

There's some time-consuming water-crossing puzzles up ahead. The flowers only bloom into a bridge if you get four of them in a row, and the water configurations can make figuring out where to put them tricky.

There are new monsters in the new area, of course. Aaron is a bodybuilder seahorse, wh--

--who's kinda creepy about the whole thing, and winks at the end of every text box.

The nonlethal win is to give him tickets to your own GUN SHOW, until he gets so wrapped up in the contest that he flexes himself right out of the room.

Image: HELLO! THIS IS PAPYRUS!!! HOW DID I GET THIS NUMBER...? IT WAS EASY!!! I JUST DIALED EVERY NUMBER SEQUENTIALLY UNTIL I GOT YOURS!!! NYEH HEH HEH HEH!! SO... WHAT ARE YOU WEARING...? I'M... ASKING FOR A FRIEND. SHE THOUGHT SHE SAW YOU WEARING A DUSTY TUTU. IS THAT TRUE? ARE YOU WEARING A DUSTY TUTU?

Uh, yeah.

Image: SO YOU ARE WEARING A DUSTY TUTU... GOT IT!!! WINK WINK!!! HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Okay, so there's another infodump scattered through Waterfall, written on signs and picked up from echo flowers and stuff. It's all broken up and interspersed with the other stuff you do in Waterfall, so I'll try to copy it down based in which topic thread any given piece is in.

Echo Flower, Wishes 1: A long time ago, monsters would whisper their wishes to the stars in the sky. If you hoped with all your heart, your wish would come true. Now, all we have are these sparkling stones on the ceiling...

Echo Flower, Wishes 2: Thousands of people wishing together can't be wrong! The king will prove that.

Echo Flower, Wishes 3: C'mon, sis! Make a wish!

Echo Flower, Wishes 4: I wish my sister and I will see the real stars someday...

Echo Flower, Wishes 5: Ah... seems my horoscope is the same as last week's...

Well, you've got unmoving sparkling gems in the ceiling, so... yeah? There's a telescope in the room that lets you look at the ceiling yourself, which hides a message that tells you where to find the hidden door out of the room. But not before...!

Woshua is just so cute.

If you ask him to clean you, he'll mix some green drops of water into his attack pattern. Touch at least one, and you're clean enough for him to be satisfied, and you can let him go. You can squick him out by telling dirty jokes, like one about a kid who ate a whole pie with his bare hands.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the little duck in his water tank.

Ancient Writing, History 1: "The War of Humans and Monsters."

Ancient Writing, History 2: Why did the humans attack? Indeed, it seemed that they had nothing to fear. Humans are unbelievably strong. It would take the SOUL of nearly every monster just to equal the power of a single human SOUL.

Ancient Writing, History 3: But humans have one weakness. Ironically, it is the strength of their SOUL. Its power allows it to persist outside the human body, even after death.

Ancient Writing, History 4: If a monster defeats a human, they can take its SOUL. A monster with a human SOUL... A horrible beast with unfathomable power.

Ancient Writing, History 5: [i](It's an illustration of a strange creature... There's something very unsettling about this drawing...)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Hmm.

Yep.

ACT 2: THE CHASE

Music: Run!

Undyne walks along the parallel pathway, throwing her magic spears in flurries of three at a time. If one hits...

...there's a brief mini-combat, purely defensive, where you have to dodge a barrage of spears to avoid taking any HP damage.

The path winds back and forth, making it tough to dodge the spears, but eventually the path ends in another patch of tall grass, where Undyne reaches out, grabs, and...!

Monster Kid: Undyne just... ...TOUCHED ME! I'm never washing my face ever again...! Man, are you unlucky. If you were standing just a LITTLE bit to the left...! Yo, don't worry! I'm sure we'll see her again!

Y-yeah, I'm sure of it. Her opinion of me seems a bit... murd--

...are you okay, man?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:09 pm

...it, of course, fills us with determination. The Echo Flower helpfully tells us, "Squeak."

Little blobby sorta guy: Can you touch it? Can you eat it? Can you kill it? ... Are you a star?

The Nice Cream vendor has moved on, looking for better business opportunities in a largely abandoned cave rather than a snow field. But he's got an idea! Punch cards! Each Nice Cream comes with one that I can use in combat to increase my attack power, or save up three for a free Nice Cream. With limited inventory space, I can't hold all the Nice Creams and Punch Cards it takes to get a freebie, and the box on the right is only for holding the Punch Card rewards.

Echo Flower, Wishes 6: So? Don't you have any wishes to make?

Echo Flower, Wishes 7: ... hmmm, just one, but... It's kind of stupid.

Image: HELLO! THIS IS PAPYRUS!!! REMEMBER WHEN I ASKED YOU ABOUT CLOTHES? WELL, THE FRIEND WHO WANTED TO KNOW... HER OPINION OF YOU IS VERY... MURDERY.

I know! That's what I was saying before!

Image: BUT I BET YOU KNEW THAT ALREADY! AND BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT... I TOLD HER WHAT YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE WEARING! A DUSTY TUTU! BECAUSE I KNEW, OF COURSE, AFTER SUCH A SUSPICIOUS QUESTION... YOU WOULD OBVIOUSLY CHANGE YOUR CLOTHES!

I probably should have, but I stuffed the Manly Bandana into a storage box. I wonder if changing equipment would actually make a difference.

Image: YOU'RE SUCH A SMART COOKIE! THIS WAY YOU'RE SAFE AND I DIDN'T LIE!!! NO BETRAYAL ANYWHERE!!! BEING FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE IS EASY!!!

Well, he tries really hard.

Echo Flower, Wishes 8: Don't say that! Come on, I promise I won't laugh.

Whew. Got everything so far? Papyrus informs Undyne, Monster Kid looks up to Undyne and doesn't get that we're being hunted, there's unnamed monsters talking about their wish, and...

Ancient Text, History 6: This is the power that the humans feared.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:18 pm

This...

...is probably bad...

Onionsan: I'm Onionsan! Onionsan, y'hear! You're visiting Waterfall, huh! It's great here, huh! You love it, huh! Yeah! Me too! It's my Big Favorite.

Onionsan: Even though, the water's getting so shallow here... I, have to sit down all the time, but... He-hey! That's OK! It beats moving to the city! And living in a crowded aquarium! Like all my friends did!

Onionsan: And the aquarium's full, a-anyway, so, even if I wanted to, I... That's okay though, y'hear! Undyne's gonna fix everything, y'hear! I'm gonna get out of here and live in the ocean! Y'hear!

Onionsan: Hey... there... That's the end of this room. I'll see you around! Have a good time! In Waterfallllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Okay, so... uh... it wasn't good, but only because of the tortured expressions Onionsan gets between its cheerful self-reassurances.

Shyren's pretty strange, and doesn't have particularly dangerous attacks.

It only turns around when you try to hum at it, after which you can let it go.

Obviously some sort of puzzle, but damned if I can figure out the melody it's looking for. And the next hallway has...

Ancient Writing, History 7: This power has no counter. Indeed, a human cannot take a monster's SOUL. When a monster dies, its SOUL disappears. And an incredible power would be needed to take the SOUL of a living monster.

Ancient Writing, History 8: There is only one exception. The SOUL of a special species of monster called a "Boss Monster". A Boss Monster's SOUL is strong enough to persist even after death... If only for a few moments. A human could absorb this SOUL. But this has never happened. And now it never will.

Is... is that how I accrue EXP and LOVE? By absorbing monster SOULs?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:23 pm

The next part of the cave is... rainy? Drippy?

And Monster Kid can't hold an umbrella him- or herself, and so walks along with us to stay dry.

Monster Kid: Man, Undyne is sooooooo cool. She beats up bad guys and NEVER loses. If I was a human, I would wet the bed every night knowing she was gonna beat me up!

Monster Kid: So, one time. We had a school project where we had to take care of a flower. The king - we had to call him "Mr. Dreemurr" - volunteered to donate his own flowers. He ended up coming to school and teaching the class about responsibility and stuff. That got me thinking... YO! How COOL would it be if UNDYNE came to school!? She could beat up ALL the teachers!!

Monster Kid: Ummm, maybe she wouldn't beat up the teachers... She's too cool to ever hurt an innocent person!

There's a nice, quiet bit where we walk past... well, whatever that is... in silhouette.

Monster Kid and I part ways after we reach a cliff that requires hands -- or a friend -- to help boost up. They run off, promising they always find a way through.

Ancient Writing, History 9: The humans, afraid of our power, declared war on us. They attacked suddenly, and without mercy.

Ancient Writing, History 10: In the end, it could hardly be called a war. United, the humans were too powerful, and us monsters, too weak. Not a single SOUL was taken, and countless monsters were turned to dust...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:26 pm

The lighting already tipped me off...

So I knew those were pools of magic, rather than, say, a slime monster assembling itself.

Hi, Undyne.

Undyne again follows on a separate track, as you navigate the maze, dodging her stabby magic.

Cornered!

Undyne shreds the bridge to nowhere we're standing on, sending us falling, falling...

Postby Newbie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:24 am

The trick with the piano is that if you take an umbrella to the statue on the previous screen, it starts up a haunting music box.

Also, you can keep singing with Shyren after hostilities cease to develop the situation further. It's, uh, interesting how this encounter differs if you've been maximally murderous before your duet.
tiny text

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Guys, what's a skeleton's favorite musical instrument?

A trom-BONE

nosimpleway wrote:Image
waamp waaamp waaaahhhhhh

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:24 pm

This is the second time that losing consciousness has resulted in narration. The first was sleeping at Toriel's, where someone told Rtwo he's the savior of humanity and monsters. It didn't happen at the inn in Snowdin, possibly because I just didn't sleep for very long.

The narration continues: Oh! You've fallen down, haven't you... Are you okay? Here, get up... ... Rtwo, huh? That's a nice name. My n a m e i s . . .

And we're awake again, at the bottom of the Waterfall cavern, having landed on... another bed of yellow flowers. Hmm. That's... probably significant.

There are perfectly symmetrical piles of garbage everywhere, and the save point describes how garbage falls from the top of the waterfall and swirls into the abyss below. This... fills us with determination.

Examining the bicycle: (Its horn wheezes a honk of despair).

Examining the PC: (A beat-up desktop computer. The inside is empty.)

Examining the cooler: (It's a cooler. It has no brand, and shows no signs of wear...) (Inside are a couple of freeze-dried space food bars.)

I take one. It's "Astronaut Food", described as being perfect for feeding a pet astronaut.

Examining the media case: (It's a DVD case for an anime.) (Desperate claw marks cover the edges.)

You can punch it if you want. I do!

That... made it angry...?

Mad Dummy: I am a ghost that lives inside a DUMMY. My cousin used to live inside a DUMMY, too. Until... YOU CAME ALONG! When you talked to them, they thought they were in for a nice chat... But the things you SAID...! Horrible! Shocking! UNBELIEVABLE! It spooked them right out of their dummy! Human! I'll scare your SOUL right out of your body!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Meanwhile, in an alternate dimension:

If you stubbornly refuse to talk to the dummy in the tu-Toriel battle back in the ruins, it... will float away.

Toriel's reaction is pretty great.

Anyway. Anyway! ANYWAY! My screenshots for the Mad Dummy fight are pretty terrible, so enjoy this video of the fight from my second playthrough, where the dialog is slightly altered to reflect how I treated Mad Dummy's cousin:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Napstablook: oh... umm... feel free to "come with" if you want... but no pressure... i understand if you're busy... it's fine... no worries... just thought I'd offer...

Hotland is our next destination. We'll swing by Blook Acres first, of course. Temmie Village... I don't even know where to start.

To the left is a shortcut back to earlier parts of Waterfall, since you can't get back there by walking thanks to Undyne throwing you off a bridge. The bird will be on whichever side of the stream you approach from, so it's now possible to move freely through Waterfall. The little guy even has his own theme music: Bird That Carries You Over a Disproportionately Small Gap. It's as soaring and majestic as you'd expect.

Napstablook: i mean... welcome to blook family snail farm... ...yeah. i'm the only employee. this place used to get a lot of business... but our main customer disappeared one day...

T... Toriel...

Napstablook: now it's just some hairy guy that shows up once a month...

Examining the snail on the left leads you to wonder what it tastes like. The one in the center has some encouraging words and introduces himself as "Sam Byool", which is not a reference I get. The little guy on the right has just completed a lucrative real estate deal, which is why he's wearing the snail shell and the snail is counting bills.

Blook Acres also offers a snail race! It's ten gold to enter, and you can shout at your snail to encourage her toward the finish line. Once you factor in the hype music, it sounds like a button-mashing game, right?

No! If you hammer the encouragement button, your snail will snap from the stress, go slower than ever, eventually flip over, and afterwards catch fire.

But some encouragement is needed, because the snail on her own is a terrible racer.

I was never able to win, after quite a lot of tries. The best I did was lose by such a razor-thin margin that my little snail believed she won. Napstablook gave me back 30 gold not for being good at the game, but to encourage the snail.

Napstablook's house doesn't have much going on, but... that's Napstablook for ya. He has a TV show he likes to watch, a PC with a music-collaboration forum open, a few CD cases lying around...

Oh! I get it! He's a Napsta Bloke Blook, Napsta presumably being an underground peer-to-peer music-sharing tool.

He'll try to share his ghost sandwich with you, but it's too incorporeal to eat.

I relate to Napstablook on so many levels you guys.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:13 pm

The music in Napstablook's house is Pathetic House, or occasionally Chill if you lie down and feel like garbage with him until you start to space out. But he'll let you sample his music if you like! The tunes are Spooktune, Spookwave, and Ghouliday.

I was as surprised as anyone when I left the house and the Spooktune kept playing, on into my next run-in with Woshua and Aaron.

Aaron: I-I DUNNO, DUDE BUT IT'S SPOOKIN ME OUT ;)
Woshua: ... this is worse than Shyren.
Aaron: No way, Shyren is way less scary ;)
Woshua: ...if you're so scared, why do you keep winking?
Aaron: THESE ARE WINKS OF FEAR ;)
Woshua: Forget it. This beat is too... ...filthy.
Aaron: Wosh! Wait! Don't leave me! ;) Is this my punishment for being creepy? ;) Please... stop... I'll never creep again ;) Wahhhhh!!!!! ;)

...and the battle auto-completes, since both enemies ran away.

Napstablook lives next door to someone with an appreciation for large, angry fish. Could it be...?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Around the corner is a shop, staffed by a geriatric turtle. He sells the next equipment "upgrade", the Torn Notebook and the Cloudy Glasses. Both are lower in raw stats than the stuff I'm using, but once I'm hit in combat, the mercy invincibility stays in effect longer for each item I have.

Apparently equipment comes in dress-up sets once you get past the bandage-and-stick (or toy knife) from the start of the game. There's a Manly Bandana and a Tough Glove, a Ballet Shoes (which I missed this time) and a Dusty Tutu, and a Torn Notebook and Cloudy Glasses.

You can talk to the shopkeeper too, like in Snowdin before. So, what's the haps, old turtle guy?

Image: I've been around a long time. Maybe too long.

Well, turtles live a long time, and monsters live a long time, so I imagine magical turtle monsters basically never die of old age.

Image: Studying history sure is easy when you've lived through so much of it yourself! Wa ha ha!

Speaking of, what's that you're studying right now, on the wall of your shop, there?

Image: Eh? You don't know what that is? What are they teaching you kids in school nowadays...? Wa ha ha! That's the Delta Rune, the emblem of our kingdom. The Kingdom... ...of Monsters. Wahaha! Great name, huh? It's as I always say... Ol' King Fluffybuns can't name for beans! That emblem actually predates written history. The original meaning has been lost to time... All we know is that the triangles symbolize us monsters below, and the winged circle above symbolizes... Somethin' else. Most people say it's the 'angel', from the prophecy...

I suppose every RPG has to have one. Let's hear it.

Image: Oh yeah... The prophecy. Legend has it, an 'angel' who has seen the surface will descend from above and bring us freedom. Lately, people have been taking a bleaker outlook... Callin' that winged circle the 'Angel of Death'. A harbinger of destruction, waitin' to 'free' us from this mortal realm... In my opinion, when I see that little circle... I jus' think it looks neat! Wahaha!

Yeah, I'm sure that will have no bearing on anything ever. So tell me about your king what's-his-name.

Image: King Fluffybuns? He's a friendly, happy-go-lucky kind of guy... If you keep walking around long enough, you'll probably meet him. He loves to walk around and talk to people. Eh? Why do I call Dreemur 'Fluffybuns?' Oh, that's a great story!

Oh! Let's hear it.

Image: ... I don't remember it. But if you come back much later, I'm sure I'll have remembered by then.

I'm sure I won't forget to do that in my endgame running around. Oh, speaking of running around, I'm kind of on the run from Undyne...

Image: Undyne? Yeah, she's a local hero around here. Through grit and determination alone, she fought her way to the top of the Royal Guard. Actually, she just came through here asking about someone who looked just like you... I'd watch your back, kid. And buy some items... It might just save your hide! Wa ha ha!

Oh, I'm a little short of cash after all those Thundersnail matches. Care to buy a--

Image: Ha! I'm tryin' to get RID of my junk, not get more of it! Though, I've heard if you want to sell stuff, the Temmie Village is your best bet.

Where is that?

Image: Where is it? ... I don't remember.

Well... that's not terribly helpful, I don't really need and can't afford the equipment, and the Crab Apples and Sea Tea you're hawking heal fewer HP than the bunny pastries I've got. But thanks for the info dump!

The next hallway has some more writing on the wall. What, you thought we were done with that?

Ancient Writing, History 11: Hurt, beaten, and fearful for our lives, we surrendered to the humans. Seven of their greatest magicians sealed us underground with a magic spell. Anything can enter through the seal, but only beings with a powerful SOUL can leave.

Ancient Writing, History 12: There is only one way to reverse the spell. If a huge power, equivalent to seven human SOULS, attacks the barrier... It will be destroyed.

Ancient Writing, History 13: But this cursed place has no entrances or exits. There is no way a human could come here. We will remain trapped down here forever.

Well, it turns out...

François

Postby François » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:58 pm

I assume you wanted to make that video "Unlisted", not "Private". Easy mistake to make. :3

Also, winks of fear. Glorious.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Oh, hey. Which way to your villa--

...o... kay.

Temmie's face twitches -- like, not an eye tic or a lip tic, her whole face jerks around the front of her head. I had to get up from the game for a while to do something, make dinner or whatever, and when I got back, Temmie's face had slid off her head entirely.

I'm not sure how the fight with Temmie is supposed to go, but if you flex at her Aaron shows up and Temmie runs away from him. Then it's a regular fight with Aaron. So... yeah.

Moldsmals? Didn't I get through these back in the ruins? You can basically let them go as soon as the fight starts--

Yikes! Whereas Moldsmal is oddly seductive for a gelatin sculpture, Moldbygg demands respect for its personal boundaries. You can let it go after unhugging it, which is just standing back a bit and not touching the creature at all.

Hidden paths, huh? I bet I know what that means...

There's always one that's not lighted. Where could it lead...?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:11 pm

François wrote:I assume you wanted to make that video "Unlisted", not "Private". Easy mistake to make. :3

Whoops! I keep it Private while I'm working on it in the YouTube editor. It should be viewable now.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Music: Temmie Village

Oh, uh...

I don't know what I expected.

Leftmost Temmie: h0i!! im temmie!!! and dis my friend... temmie!!!

Second Temmie: h0i!! im temmie!!! and dis my friend... temmie!!!

Third Temmie: h0i!! im temmie!!! don forget my friend!

Is it temmie?

Rightmost Temmie: Hi. I'm Bob.

Picture on the wall: (Rich history of Tem.)

Another Temmie: awawawawah!! humans... such a... CUTE!!!!

A Temmie looking at an egg: tem... WATCH EGG!!! eg... wil HATCH!!! tem... PROUD PARENT!!

The egg, of course, is already hard-boiled.

Tem in the corner: p... tem heard human allergics to tem... dat OK... tem understan... tem... ALSO allergic to tem!!!

Oh no!

Ah, what a lighthearted and silly place, full of these ridiculous little critters. It's all so whimsical and fun! Even the save point here fills you with "detemmienation" instead. Ho ho ho!

...dude.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Talking to a creature as LAWL SO RANDOM RAWR as a Temmie is basically useless, but...

As the turtle shopkeeper promised, Temmie will buy all sorts of useless junk. Sometimes she tries to talk herself out of it with thoughts of attending "colleg", but then buys your item at an increased price. Tem is... really bad with money.

You can pay 4 colleg yourself, if you like. I didn't realize it at the time, but tem flakes always sell back to the temmie shop for 2 gold. You can buy them on sale and immediately sell them back, making one gold profit each time. It's a time-consuming infinite-money loop.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:55 pm

nosimpleway wrote: Ah, what a lighthearted and silly place, full of these ridiculous little critters. It's all so whimsical and fun! Even the save point here fills you with "detemmienation" instead. Ho ho ho!

welcome to de temmie nation, mon
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto